/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Chapel Hill Shooting

aflawedbeing
02-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'oon.

Naturally the killer's race and religion was not released. Naturally, he will not be called a terrorist - merely a criminal, lone wolf, or possibly criminally insane.

Let's watch the media whip up a frenzy about this.

...Oh, wait.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10037734.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Patrick
02-11-2015, 03:05 PM
I'm feel bad about this I live around the area and feel upset. The killer was a religious fanatic, older white male in his 50s. It's not getting that much press over here except on face book.

Abdullahh
02-11-2015, 08:38 PM
Rest in peace. :cry: They are gone but never to be forgotten! The terrorist responsible will pay for his evil crimes.

BeTheChange
02-11-2015, 10:11 PM
May Allah swa forgive their sins, bring peace/comfort to their families and friends & make it easy for them in the next life Ameen.

Because their were killed for being Muslims (Alhamdulilah) this makes them a shaheed right?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Patrick
02-11-2015, 10:30 PM
Yes we can only be criminals over here. Serial killers school shootings gang killings. I've never seen the term terrorist apply to these. Even though the similarities are enough for me. Apparently you have to threaten security. Well not like security like our bank robbers but I guess the term only applies to people that threaten society? But do it in a way that confuses us more than other ways of killing? Trust me the average citizen over here has no clue what the world is going on.

introspective
02-15-2015, 12:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Patrick
I'm feel bad about this I live around the area and feel upset. The killer was a religious fanatic, older white male in his 50s. It's not getting that much press over here except on face book.
According to reports, his FB states that he's an anti-theist. Describing him as a religious fanatic is debatable.

One detail that stood out in this case is that the gunman waited hours later to turn himself to the police; was he at war with his conscience after committing murder? I'm wondering what kind of principles or code he follows.

Even though it is easy to say this could legally be classified as a hate crime, there's not much to speculate since there are no details of the gunman's testimony. Regardless, murder is murder (e.g. homicide is homicide).

I did not know Deah personally but he was easy to get along with.

May Allah ease the pain of the bereaved families.

Pygoscelis
02-15-2015, 12:43 AM
Problem with calling this a "hate crime" is that the guy was anti-theist in general, so pretty much anybody he killed would have fit. The vast majority belong to one religion or another. Had he happened to have killed catholics, would this have been a hate crime against catholics? Do we know that he killed due to his hatred of religion, or was there some other reason he did it? In cases like Charlie Hebdo and Isis it is made more clear why they do it, as they straight out say so while doing it. I wonder if this guy did. I know he has some stuff on a web page, but that's not the same, and I don't know if he spoke against Religion itself or against religious people. The one I would consider a virtue, the other a vice.

سيف الله
02-21-2015, 01:23 PM
Salaam

format_quote Originally Posted by aflawedbeing
Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'oon.

Naturally the killer's race and religion was not released. Naturally, he will not be called a terrorist - merely a criminal, lone wolf, or possibly criminally insane.

Let's watch the media whip up a frenzy about this.

...Oh, wait.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10037734.html
Terrible news imsad.

Thought this was an interesting analysis of the media response

Having said that ordinary people did turn out in force to the funeral 5000+ if I remember correctly.

format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Problem with calling this a "hate crime" is that the guy was anti-theist in general, so pretty much anybody he killed would have fit. The vast majority belong to one religion or another. Had he happened to have killed catholics, would this have been a hate crime against catholics? Do we know that he killed due to his hatred of religion, or was there some other reason he did it? In cases like Charlie Hebdo and Isis it is made more clear why they do it, as they straight out say so while doing it. I wonder if this guy did. I know he has some stuff on a web page, but that's not the same, and I don't know if he spoke against Religion itself or against religious people. The one I would consider a virtue, the other a vice.
To translate ‘I’m not a racist but. . . . . . .’

Pygoscelis
02-24-2015, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Junon
To translate ‘I’m not a racist but. . . . . . .’
Huh? You think I said something racist? What does race have to do with anything I said?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!