/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help me I'm going crazy

anonymous
02-28-2015, 06:41 AM
Okay back in 2012 I needed money to pay for college so I took out a federal subsidized loan because my family isn't all that rich. At the time I had no idea that taking out loans was haram. Back then I wasn't very religious I was immature. I wasn't all that knowledgeable on Islam. Now that I'm older I've matured I pray, learning Quran etc. that's how I found out about it being haram. I read it in a Hadith. My heart was pounding and I started crying. I don't know why my father was all for taking it out. He's religious. I live in America. If I would've knew I swear I would of never continued with college.

My loan balance is $7000. I couldn't afford the college anymore so I dropped out. I got nowhere with a debt. I was paying on time monthly $70 but after being unemployed I stopped paying. I called the loan provider and told them I'm currently unemployed and can't afford to pay so I'm on a repayment plan. I don't have to make payments till October of this year but still being charged interest. I've been hunting for a job like crazy and nobody is interested. They charged me $110 in interest. I can't sleep at night bc of this debt. I just also found out that even if I pay it it's still haram bc of the interest. It's eating me inside everyday. I cry myself to sleep because I've committed a GRAVE sin which at the time I had no idea. Never again will I deal with loans. Advice please?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
02-28-2015, 08:46 AM
What I'm going to say is not fatwa or anything scholastic.

We are given a guide and there are always challenges.

There is not much we can do in the world we are in now. The real point in islam (aside from the submissiveness to the Will of Allah swt) is to not despair. Keep our cool and strive for betterment.

If that is how you feel, (know that there is no other alternatives available for islamic way) we will either do it the 'haram' way or end up not doing it at all.

My question is, it is haram for us to charge interest. Does it make it haram for us to pay it if we are charged? You took the loan to better yourself (had it worked out the benefit will repay the loan with interest many times over) but it didn't work out for you. A wasted opportunity which you are now paying as a result. It must be also a lesson for you to ensure that if you are to 'invest' again in the future that you see it through to completion.

Now, you will have to deal with the loan and handle the matter as well as you can. Communicate with them and explain, keep explaining. You have a life ahead of you, albeit you started with a bit of load around your shoulders, it is not insurmountable. Nothing remains the same forever.

:peace:

anonymous
02-28-2015, 05:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
What I'm going to say is not fatwa or anything scholastic.

We are given a guide and there are always challenges.

There is not much we can do in the world we are in now. The real point in islam (aside from the submissiveness to the Will of Allah swt) is to not despair. Keep our cool and strive for betterment.

If that is how you feel, (know that there is no other alternatives available for islamic way) we will either do it the 'haram' way or end up not doing it at all.

My question is, it is haram for us to charge interest. Does it make it haram for us to pay it if we are charged? You took the loan to better yourself (had it worked out the benefit will repay the loan with interest many times over) but it didn't work out for you. A wasted opportunity which you are now paying as a result. It must be also a lesson for you to ensure that if you are to 'invest' again in the future that you see it through to completion.

Now, you will have to deal with the loan and handle the matter as well as you can. Communicate with them and explain, keep explaining. You have a life ahead of you, albeit you started with a bit of load around your shoulders, it is not insurmountable. Nothing remains the same forever.

:peace:
I'm just worried Allah will never forgive me because of the interest. I could die at anytime with this debt on my shoulders. I don't wanna be punished for a sin I mistakenly took out. It's just hard to find work. I could pay off the balance but I;m freaking out over the interest. Should I pay them back the interest? and just pay off the balance or do both. Will it be forgivable by Allah(swt)? imsad

Alpha Dude
03-01-2015, 11:48 AM
:sl:

Allah will forgive you if your repentance is sincere, in sha Allah. Making mistakes is natural and human behaviour. Nobody is totally perfect. You can gain rewards based on your sincere repentance and the actions you take to correct your mistakes. You should have a balance between fear and hope in Allah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BeTheChange
03-04-2015, 11:32 PM
Alhamdulilah that you have found out that the deed is haraam. Now that you know you won't do it again in sha Allah. The deed is done, written and recorded by the angels - we won't be able to erase the deed from our book of deeds but we CAN control our present and future actions in sha Allah.

Don't worry yourself so much to the point you can't or are unable to sleep. It's good you feel bad because if you didn't feel bad then it is a sign of weak faith (Allah swa knows best).

Repent to Allah swa and Allah swa will forgive you in sha Allah. Focus on your good deeds and work on this in sha Allah. Everything else will fall into place.

I wish you all the best! May Allah swa lighten your burden and remove the stress from you Ameen.

Abdullahh
03-06-2015, 04:35 PM
My advice: Keep calm and pray. Ask Allah for some guidance, brother.

Futuwwa
03-06-2015, 10:15 PM
Did you drop out of college specifically because you stopped taking on student debt? Would you be able to finish college by keeping on taking on student debt?

Moshy
03-25-2015, 11:48 AM
Allah is most merciful. Sir, If it is true that you did not know that it is haram when
you took the loan, then inshAllah Allah will forgive you. I believe you can give the interest to get out of the debt as you did not know it's haram in the first place.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!