/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamatopia.com

mob15
03-20-2015, 04:12 PM
This website is for Muslims by Muslims. A place where we can share Islamic content videos to inspire each other and to help one another get better in our deen. Lets help Islamatopia get rid of Islamaphobia.

Submit your videos and share them on a halal site where they'll actually be seen unlike YouTube.

JazakAllah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
03-20-2015, 04:26 PM
Muslim videos don't get seen on Youtube? this is news to me... please provide your evidence.

I will play advocate and prove to you that amatuer Muslim film makers have a viral following on youtube in sha Allah:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMercifulServant -over 300,000 subscribers AND over 50 million video hits

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheProphetsPath/about -over 90,000 subscribers AND over 9 million video hits

https://www.youtube.com/user/lebo2196 -over 240,000 subscribers AND over 18 million video hits...

...the list goes on and on like this.

In the past, I've seen many attempts by Muslims to start their own youtube type video sharing site, and all of these have largely failed because Youtube is an open platform for anyone to share content, and by far the most popular.

Submit your videos and share them on a halal site where they'll actually be seen unlike YouTube.
i've already proven that Islamic videos/content is very much SEEN on youtube. Now for the next objection.

Youtube is not a cause for argument whether it is a halal platform or not.

The bottom line is - scholars have expressed that the TV is not a haraam invention, but one which can be used to benefit (via education / documentary) or distract (via entertainment and NEWS) and the use of it is very much down to the person who utilises the TV.

It is basically, a personal matter.

Much in the same way, we can apply the same logic to Youtube - it is up to you - the user - to use Youtube responsibly.

Having said that - Youtube acknowledges that it's viewership is international and therefore they cannot implement a 9pm watershed for more explicit content - and in turn, to offset this risk, they've made explicit content and nudity to be banned on youtube.... with that consideration in mind, I'd say that Youtube was actually safer than watching TV.

When you watch TV, all you can do is switch channels, and you are left at the mercy of the TV intinery - whereas with youtube, youtube itself is at the mercy of your interest... which is safer?

No brainer - Youtube.

Scimi

mob15
03-20-2015, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Muslim videos don't get seen on Youtube? this is news to me... please provide your evidence.

I will play advocate and prove to you that amatuer Muslim film makers have a viral following on youtube in sha Allah:

-over 300,000 subscribers AND over 50 million video hits

-over 90,000 subscribers AND over 9 million video hits

-over 240,000 subscribers AND over 18 million video hits...

...the list goes on and on like this.

In the past, I've seen many attempts by Muslims to start their own youtube type video sharing site, and all of these have largely failed because Youtube is an open platform for anyone to share content, and by far the most popular.

i've already proven that Islamic videos/content is very much SEEN on youtube. Now for the next objection.

Youtube is not a cause for argument whether it is a halal platform or not.

The bottom line is - scholars have expressed that the TV is not a haraam invention, but one which can be used to benefit (via education / documentary) or distract (via entertainment and NEWS) and the use of it is very much down to the person who utilises the TV.

It is basically, a personal matter.

Much in the same way, we can apply the same logic to Youtube - it is up to you - the user - to use Youtube responsibly.

Having said that - Youtube acknowledges that it's viewership is international and therefore they cannot implement a 9pm watershed for more explicit content - and in turn, to offset this risk, they've made explicit content and nudity to be banned on youtube.... with that consideration in mind, I'd say that Youtube was actually safer than watching TV.

When you watch TV, all you can do is switch channels, and you are left at the mercy of the TV intinery - whereas with youtube, youtube itself is at the mercy of your interest... which is safer?

No brainer - Youtube.

Scimi

You bring up some excellent points and I'm glad you did. Let me clarify when I say be seen on YouTube. YouTube provides an excellent platform and its open for anyone and everyone across the globe.

The ONLY problem with YouTube is you have to search for exactly what you're looking for. most of the Islamic related videos i see have a 100 views to a couple of thousands. Mashallah there are many who have millions and six figure viewership.

Islamatopia.com takes the searching out of the equation. You post your videos and ppl see it without searching, this is not a YouTube style website its a niche market, not anyone can post whatever they want its only Islamic related content, anything that helps Muslims in a positive way not promote your own agenda.

Not sure if you're familiar with WorldStarHipHop.com, but the reason its a huge hit is because ppl can submit videos and it can bee seen by many without searching for anything. There are many videos posted so searching is needed if you want to see it again, but you get my point; it takes the searching out of the equation and you just view the videos that interest you.

Obviously that site is far from halal and that's what i meant about the halal comment, I'm not the kind of person that says everything is haram that wasn't my point.

Islamatopia.com was not created to eliminate YouTube because that's nonsense its just another marketing tool for those who want more viewership without the hassle of hoping people find their videos.

It's a place where Muslims can call their own and submit videos like they would on YouTube. This is mostly for the the small amateur Muslim film maker not necessarily the ones you listed. Mashallah those have grown to be big hits and I will continue to support them and benefit from their videos, may Allah reward them and reward you too.

Scimitar
03-20-2015, 05:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mob15
You bring up some excellent points and I'm glad you did. Let me clarify when I say be seen on YouTube. YouTube provides an excellent platform and its open for anyone and everyone across the globe.
Jazak Allahu Khair,

The ONLY problem with YouTube is you have to search for exactly what you're looking for.
That's actually a part of the appeal youtube has for people. It's not a problem - it's THE solution.

Also, factor in the following - you can SUBSCRIBE to channels and get notifications of any videos your SUBSCRIPTIONS have uploaded - no need to search for videos if the content you look for is being directly pushed to your feed.

Youtube, works on very clever software which is owned by google - it remembers your searches on the WEB and then pools the results through an algorithm which in turn finds videos which you may be interested in - even if you wasn't aware of the channels themselves - the clever thing here is, google actually facilitates in your user experience with youtube.

So again, mute point bro.

most of the Islamic related videos i see have a 100 views to a couple of thousands. Mashallah there are many who have millions and six figure viewership.

Islamatopia.com takes the searching out of the equation. You post your videos and ppl see it without searching, this is not a YouTube style website its a niche market, not anyone can post whatever they want its only Islamic related content, anything that helps Muslims in a positive way not promote your own agenda.
As I mentioned earlier, these sites usually end up like ghost towns... in 2013, a sister from this forum came into some money and started a site like you mentioned - she even promoted it through the regular channels and I even joined and uploaded videos... for reasons I have mentioned above, the site failed to get a Muslim membership simply because better content, is available on YOUTUBE...

You say the idea is a niche - but a niche only serves a purpose if one is necessitated - the problem you are going to find is that the need is not necessitated.

Unless google do something drastic like ban all Islamic videos on youtube, you'll have a hard time gaining any popularity for the project.

Not sure if you're familiar with WorldStarHipHop.com, but the reason its a huge hit is because ppl can submit videos and it can bee seen by many without searching for anything. There are many videos posted so searching is needed if you want to see it again, but you get my point; it takes the searching out of the equation and you just view the videos that interest you.
No I am not aware of it, but I know that sites which promote Music culture - will need to have a video platform on them... again, I think you've misidentified the reasoning.

Obviously that site is far from halal and that's what i meant about the halal comment, I'm not the kind of person that says everything is haram that wasn't my point.
No, I get the point - what I am saying is that - on a site where Music takes center stage in a western culture where Music videos prevail - it would be stupid for such a site to not have video hosting available - this does not justify a Muslim youtube.

Islamatopia.com was not created to eliminate YouTube because that's nonsense its just another marketing tool for those who want more viewership without the hassle of hoping people find their videos.
If so, how much budget have the founders of the site set aside for things like google ad words? because without the awareness - the site will be thrown into obscurity and then confined to the internets archives.

Speaking from experience, it is a misconception that many people have where they believe their website will somehow go viral simply because they believe they had a good idea... look around the internet - if you really want to take this off the ground, understand that those organisations which have carved out a niche for their vidoe hosting sites, have employed strategies and budgets which have ensured their success alongside youtube - sites such as Vimeo, DailyMotion etc...

...and plenty of others remain, gathering dust until their hosting packages and domain names expire.

It's a place where Muslims can call their own and submit videos like they would on YouTube. This is mostly for the the small amateur Muslim film maker not necessarily the ones you listed. Mashallah those have grown to be big hits and I will continue to support them and benefit from their videos, may Allah reward them and reward you too.
Personally, I feel that amateur film makers stand a better chance at having their works seen on youtube than an obscure Muslim video sharing site which has no real budget to hit the web running with the wind to it's metaphorical back, so to speak.

Scimi

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mob15
03-21-2015, 01:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Jazak Allahu Khair,

That's actually a part of the appeal youtube has for people. It's not a problem - it's THE solution.

Also, factor in the following - you can SUBSCRIBE to channels and get notifications of any videos your SUBSCRIPTIONS have uploaded - no need to search for videos if the content you look for is being directly pushed to your feed.

Youtube, works on very clever software which is owned by google - it remembers your searches on the WEB and then pools the results through an algorithm which in turn finds videos which you may be interested in - even if you wasn't aware of the channels themselves - the clever thing here is, google actually facilitates in your user experience with youtube.

So again, mute point bro.

As I mentioned earlier, these sites usually end up like ghost towns... in 2013, a sister from this forum came into some money and started a site like you mentioned - she even promoted it through the regular channels and I even joined and uploaded videos... for reasons I have mentioned above, the site failed to get a Muslim membership simply because better content, is available on YOUTUBE...

You say the idea is a niche - but a niche only serves a purpose if one is necessitated - the problem you are going to find is that the need is not necessitated.

Unless google do something drastic like ban all Islamic videos on youtube, you'll have a hard time gaining any popularity for the project.

No I am not aware of it, but I know that sites which promote Music culture - will need to have a video platform on them... again, I think you've misidentified the reasoning.

No, I get the point - what I am saying is that - on a site where Music takes center stage in a western culture where Music videos prevail - it would be stupid for such a site to not have video hosting available - this does not justify a Muslim youtube.

If so, how much budget have the founders of the site set aside for things like google ad words? because without the awareness - the site will be thrown into obscurity and then confined to the internets archives.

Speaking from experience, it is a misconception that many people have where they believe their website will somehow go viral simply because they believe they had a good idea... look around the internet - if you really want to take this off the ground, understand that those organisations which have carved out a niche for their vidoe hosting sites, have employed strategies and budgets which have ensured their success alongside youtube - sites such as Vimeo, DailyMotion etc...

...and plenty of others remain, gathering dust until their hosting packages and domain names expire.

Personally, I feel that amateur film makers stand a better chance at having their works seen on youtube than an obscure Muslim video sharing site which has no real budget to hit the web running with the wind to it's metaphorical back, so to speak.

Scimi

Again Scimi you made some good points. I'm sure the founders are aware of the challenge of getting the word out there, I'm just helping them achieve that. Subscribing to a page is only valid if you someone can see your post first.

Today I have the same chance of the same amount of people viewing my post on YouTube as they would on Islamatopia. The big names and the established YouTubers are good but the little guy doesn't have a chance. Once Islamatopia grows its gonna be the place to be. It takes time though , nothing grows overnight it may take years and I hope the Founders keep at it.

Youtube will always be huge, Google owns it, we know this, but Islamatopia is needed and others like it too. At the end of the day YouTube is all about find it and subscribe, and Islamatopia is just Watch. The only obstacle is gonna be will Muslims Support it cuz no one else will.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!