/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is milk haraam?

simplymuslim
03-20-2015, 09:42 PM
So in R.E today we learnt about mistreatment of animals in the industry. For example cows. When female cows give birth to a male cow the male cow is killed as it does not give milk. This makes the cow quite sad. Would the milk she gave be halal?Especially if the cow was in distress. I'm sure animals need to be looked after to be halal. Is this milk halal then?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snow
03-20-2015, 10:05 PM
There is nothing against it - as far as I know.
Even in 16:66 it says
verily in cattle (too) will ye find an instructive sign. From what is within their bodies between excretions and blood, We produce, for your drink, milk, pure and agreeable to those who drink it.
Some are lactose-intolerant, though.

sister herb
03-20-2015, 11:08 PM
In may times farmers let a male cow grow up before it is slaughtered. Also some female cows will slaughter later too so I don´t know what is problem in this matter. Both might let to drink milk for some time.

Both times calf, male or female, is already weaned from the cow and it doesn´t become sad about it (to animals it is natural matter, they don´t have similar feelings like human have).

ardianto
03-21-2015, 02:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by simplymuslim
So in R.E today we learnt about mistreatment of animals in the industry. For example cows. When female cows give birth to a male cow the male cow is killed as it does not give milk. This makes the cow quite sad. Would the milk she gave be halal?Especially if the cow was in distress. I'm sure animals need to be looked after to be halal. Is this milk halal then?
There's no base from fiqh that this condition make cow milk become haram. Although you can avoid drink cow milk if this condition make you feel uncomfortable.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
فصيح الياسين
03-21-2015, 02:54 AM
What about pony milk??

ardianto
03-21-2015, 03:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by فصيح الياسين
What about pony milk??
Pony is horse, and according to ulama horse milk is halal. Daleel .....

"We have ever done safar (traveling) with Rasulullah shallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam, and we ate horse meat and we drank it (horse) milk"
(Hadith riwayah: Ad-Daruquthni, al-Baihaqi. Classified as shahih in sanad by An-Nawawi)

Muhaba
04-04-2015, 12:18 PM
If they take away or kill the baby cow too soon, the cow's milk will dry up. So it's not true. The baby cow probably was grown at the time it was slaughtered. Also, it has to be of a certain age to be halal. If it is slaughtered too soon then it (the meat) won't be halal.

MuslimInshallah
04-04-2015, 05:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhaba
If they take away or kill the baby cow too soon, the cow's milk will dry up. So it's not true. The baby cow probably was grown at the time it was slaughtered. Also, it has to be of a certain age to be halal. If it is slaughtered too soon then it won't be halal.
Assalaamu alaikum Muhaba,

I'm afraid that this is not true on dairy farms here in Canada. When we had a dairy cow, I got a newborn calf from the nearby dairy farm to put on her (as she produced way more milk than we needed, and we wanted to grow the calf for meat). They separate the calves at birth, and then ship them off for auction.

Personally, I think that modern industrial farming is not at all what would be Pleasing to Allah. I therefore try to find sources of food that are not industrial wherever possible. If you know a small local farmer who does organic, ethical, grassfed or community shared agriculture (CSA), this is the best, I think. Industrial food is not only cruel, but it tends to be unhealthy, too. Not to mention, the agribusiness workers may not be well-treated. Sometimes you can slaughter and butcher yourself (it's a lot of work, though…), but other times you may have to make choices as to what you can obtain to eat. Frankly, until I recently found an organic Halal meat producer (alhamdullillah!!!), since we left our little farm in Nova Scotia, I have had to choose whether to get industrial "halal" meat or healthy (but perhaps not "halal") organic meat. I compromised on getting "halal" mostly, but sometimes (especially when people were sick) getting organic chicken meat (chicken slaughtering methods being a bit of a grey zone in the scholars debates, from what I have read).

For milk, while I would not label it as haraam (twinkle. I wouldn't dare declare something like this haraam; the penalties before Allah are too high!), I would suggest that a lot of industrially produced milk is not the best option. If you can find more ethical, smaller dairies, I believe this would be more Pleasing to Allah, and better for your health.

May Allah, the Majestic, Bless all those (like simplymuslim) who show compassion towards His Creation, and who want to avoid that which is not Pleasing to Him.

Muhaba
04-05-2015, 04:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
Assalaamu alaikum Muhaba,

I'm afraid that this is not true on dairy farms here in Canada. When we had a dairy cow, I got a newborn calf from the nearby dairy farm to put on her (as she produced way more milk than we needed, and we wanted to grow the calf for meat). They separate the calves at birth, and then ship them off for auction.

Personally, I think that modern industrial farming is not at all what would be Pleasing to Allah. I therefore try to find sources of food that are not industrial wherever possible. If you know a small local farmer who does organic, ethical, grassfed or community shared agriculture (CSA), this is the best, I think. Industrial food is not only cruel, but it tends to be unhealthy, too. Not to mention, the agribusiness workers may not be well-treated. Sometimes you can slaughter and butcher yourself (it's a lot of work, though…), but other times you may have to make choices as to what you can obtain to eat. Frankly, until I recently found an organic Halal meat producer (alhamdullillah!!!), since we left our little farm in Nova Scotia, I have had to choose whether to get industrial "halal" meat or healthy (but perhaps not "halal") organic meat. I compromised on getting "halal" mostly, but sometimes (especially when people were sick) getting organic chicken meat (chicken slaughtering methods being a bit of a grey zone in the scholars debates, from what I have read).

For milk, while I would not label it as haraam (twinkle. I wouldn't dare declare something like this haraam; the penalties before Allah are too high!), I would suggest that a lot of industrially produced milk is not the best option. If you can find more ethical, smaller dairies, I believe this would be more Pleasing to Allah, and better for your health.

May Allah, the Majestic, Bless all those (like simplymuslim) who show compassion towards His Creation, and who want to avoid that which is not Pleasing to Him.
Hmm I meant the meat won't be halal if the calf is too young.

ardianto
04-05-2015, 04:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
In Bandung area dairy cows are farmed by traditional farmers that are members of two cooperatives, in northern mountain area and in southern mountain area. I have visited few farms and from what I have noticed, the farmers treat their dairy cows ethically and feed them only with natural foods.

Some of produced milk sent to milk industry while the rest packaged and sell by home industries that under control by cooperatives. I have visited a milk home industry and saw the packaging process. Simple, the milk just packed in heat resistance plastic bag then dipped in hot water (not boiled) for few moments. They do not add anything.

MuslimInshallah
04-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Ardianto,

(smile) I told you once that you could be an excellent salesperson for tourism in Indonesia. (smile) I say it again. Apparently, in your part of this planet, animals are treated well, and the food is still pure. It is very different here (and in the OP's country, I believe).

Of course, there are problems in Indonesia, too (which you have mentioned). But overall, I'd say you paint a beautiful picture. (twinkle) The Indonesian Tourism Ministry should hire you!!

May Allah, the Grateful, Help us to understand what wonderful Gifts He Gives us.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!