/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I want to act. Is the final product haram?

adept
03-21-2015, 04:49 PM
I would really love to begin an acting career but after all the shots are sent to an editor the editor will add some ambient music. Ambient music is just sounds that set your mood while watching a movie, without it the movie will feel a little awkward. This music just runs in the background there's no singing, it's not loud, usually it's just one instrument that plays very slowly in the background and maybe a little faster with an extra instrument during an intense scene.

And what if I end up acting with a Christian woman? Is the fact that she isn't wearing Hijab or isn't as covered up as a Muslim usually is going to mean that I can't get involved in the production of the movie?

Just a clean, nice, high quality and professional movie with NO sex scenes or anything within those lines.

Please don't answer me with a bunch of rocket science and simply tell me the criteria of acting as a Muslim.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
03-22-2015, 02:58 AM
In this day and age, so many areas of our lives are convoluted with secular practices that there are very limited scope offering true islamic ways.

if we take a look at acting as a profession, where would we classify it? I would put it under the 'entertainment' industry.

How is entertainment considered in islam? The same question is often asked about music and where does that put the musicians? For them it is just about the content (where they could better spend their time on worship rather than worldly fantasies). But acting not only does distract but has an added dimension of mixing with others as an 'act'...depending on the script..

These are just my simple thoughts on the matter.

Hope it helps.

:peace:

Karl
03-23-2015, 10:03 PM
In the old days actors (thespians), musicians and prostitutes were bundled into the same class of unnecessary necessities "man does not live on bread alone" type of thing. I suppose they are all workers in the world of hedonism. So a pious Muslim would probably stay away from these professions. Depends on how pious you are. Depends if you believe that Allah wants you to be self oppressed and miserable in this world and have paradise after you die or He created all the pleasures of the world for you to enjoy and have eternal pleasures after you die as you will be immortal and on a higher plane of existence. Some people really enjoy being miserable and self oppressed, some don't. As Allah knows what's in your heart there is no point trying to betray Him by being miserable and self oppressed if that is not really you.

Scimitar
03-24-2015, 12:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by adept
I would really love to begin an acting career [snip]
SO, you'd like to be famous - ego trip isn't it? Pure nafsi talk bro.

Scimi

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
M.I.A.
03-24-2015, 03:34 PM
Pretty much every country has its own media networks and actors, news anchors and presenters to go along with it.

I don't think you should shun something that makes up the culture of every nation on earth.

The world is a stage and we are all actors..

Its just that some have stronger motivation than others.

Even Isis does the whole video thing!!

I actually think that OP thinking about the issue rather than just going for it is something..

saif-uddin
03-25-2015, 06:43 AM
Unless you can become an Actor/Actress whilst keeping your Hijaab, and Not exposing yourself to Non-Mehrems on Film or otherwise, and zero interaction with them (physical touching, chit chat etc) (it'll be a miracle if you managed that whilst being an Actor and made money,)

you should avoid Acting like the plague.

find a better profession, one which does not compromise your Deen.

:jz:

Insaanah
03-30-2015, 06:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by saif-uddin
Unless you can become an Actor/Actress whilst keeping your Hijaab, and Not exposing yourself to Non-Mehrems on Film or otherwise, and zero interaction with them (physical touching, chit chat etc) (it'll be a miracle if you managed that whilst being an Actor and made money,)
That is all true, but also, at the centre of it, the core of acting, is pretending to be somebody else. It's being somebody who you are not. It is a sort of deception, even if openly announced.

Why acting, instead of so many of the other noble jobs/professions out there?

It is not a job that brings a true benefit to anyone. And sometimes not to the actor, as prospects are unreliable, and you could be in work one day, and then not see any work the next day for quite a while. You yourself have mentioned it will be set to music, and music is not allowed. What about prospects in the hereafter? Forget what seems to be the glamour of this world.

You would do well do have a re-think.

M.I.A.
03-30-2015, 08:13 PM
..I find that a paradox.. I'm sorry you deleted my posts.. They were probably semi relevant..

But acting is a big part of life..

If a person is told to practice restraint and spends a lot of time changing what would come naturally..

Its a bit sad for you to turn around and say that its deceptive or insincere...

?

How about when you get married, love and ease is only part of it..the rest is hard work and compromise..

It is in part an act.

At one point the Quran says that we should not covet our own souls..

I have no idea.

It would seem to me that if I have spent so long developing an act that is unnatural or sometimes counter intuitive..to ones own benefit then maybe it should be spelt out clearer.

I'm still trying to figure out how a person can be generous? Or what spending out of the things you love means..

Its a learning experience.

I think this thread could be paired with the other one about why the ummah fails..

Media and films and acting are just a tool.. Its literally the reason why politicians can still pull votes and keep interests secret.

Why do we even fast?

..when most can afford food.

Acting is not a deception, its a way of moving people..

Same as the things we do in real life.

...to change oneself simply for the sake of Allah swt is a big achievement.. Probably.

But if ya didn't know who you were it would probably be easier to...be..

Improv..

Could be worse.. Could have been a teacher..

Currently learning surah yaa ceen

OK I think you could probably delete this

Abdullahh
03-31-2015, 05:33 AM
Only act in films with a deeply religious Muslim director/producer/etc and you should be fine otherwise I'd say no. Just my $0.02

saif-uddin
05-02-2015, 06:58 AM
M.I.A you are mistaken akhi,

you said ...

"..I find that a paradox.. I'm sorry you deleted my posts.. They were probably semi relevant..

But acting is a big part of life..

If a person is told to practice restraint and spends a lot of time changing what would come naturally..

Its a bit sad for you to turn around and say that its deceptive or insincere...

?

How about when you get married, love and ease is only part of it..the rest is hard work and compromise..

It is in part an act."
Acting is Not a Part of Life,

we arn't advising our brothers and sisters to "act" good whilst on the inside things are opposite,

we are advising them to be Good, inside and out.

no Muslim in thgeir right mind would advise another to pretend to be Good,

thats what acting is, Pretending to be someone your not.

before anyone jumps to conclusion i'm not saying acting is Haraam, if islamic guidelines are observed.

:jkk:

Abz2000
05-02-2015, 12:59 PM
I think we need people making useful pieces in the face of the satanic onslaught of lewdness which we sometimes succumb to when entertaining ourselves.
I wanted to make a small video of a fox between two smaller foxes who is promising to investigate the the chicken coop after hasina's fiasco here in B.D.
Unfortunately haven't got a team or efficient contractor who could do it on the cheap.

would advise caution though:

Actor seeks court order to remove anti-Islamic film

Cindy Lee Garcia is suing the video's maker as well as Google, claiming she was duped into working on Innocence of Muslims

Rory Carroll*in Los Angeles@rorycarroll72
Thursday 20 September 2012*04.53*BST
Last modified on Wednesday 1 October 2014 12.45*BST
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare via EmailShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Share on WhatsApp

An actor who starred in the anti-Islamic video which triggered mayhem in the Muslim world will on Thursday seek a court order compelling YouTube to remove the video.
Cindy Lee Garcia, who appeared as a lover of the prophet Muhammad in the online trailer, is suing the video's maker as well as Google, which owns YouTube, claiming she was duped into working on the film and that her life has been threatened.Garcia's lawyers filed a complaint alleging fraud, slander and intentional infliction of emotional distress at Los Angeles superior court on Wednesday and are due on Thursday to seek an injunction against the film.

"The film is vile and reprehensible,'' Garcia's lawyer, M. Cris Armenta, wrote in the document. "This lawsuit is not an attack on the First Amendment nor on the right of Americans to say what they think, but does request that the offending content be removed from the internet."

The suit names the video's producer Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, a California-based Egyptian-American angry at the treatment of Christians in his homeland. He used the pseudonym Sam Bacile.
Lawyers for Nakoula, who has disappeared from view, did not immediately respond.YouTube and its parent company, Google, did not immediately respond either.

Other cast and crew members of the amateurish video have echoed Garcia's claims and may also take legal action.

The actor said she responded to adverts seeking a cast for an adventure film titled Desert Warriors set in Arabia 2000 years ago. What passed for its script had no mention of religion.
She told Reuters she was horrified when post-production dubbing turned a 14-minute trailer for the film, which reportedly screened just once to a largely deserted Hollywood cinema, into a screed against the origins of*Islam.
"It looks so unreal to me, it's like nothing that we even filmed was there. "There was all this weird stuff there."

Full article: http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...mic-film-suing

M.I.A.
05-02-2015, 02:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by saif-uddin
M.I.A you are mistaken akhi,

OK, the next time you have an argument with someone, apologise.

Acting is Not a Part of Life,

we arn't advising our brothers and sisters to "act" good whilst on the inside things are opposite,

we are advising them to be Good, inside and out.

no Muslim in thgeir right mind would advise another to pretend to be Good,

thats what acting is, Pretending to be someone your not.

before anyone jumps to conclusion i'm not saying acting is Haraam, if islamic guidelines are observed.

:jkk:
it have to disagree..

OK, the next time you have an argument with someone, apologise

saif-uddin
05-02-2015, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
it have to disagree..

OK, the next time you have an argument with someone, apologise
You can dissagree but your not making any sense.

an Argument with someone isn't Faked,

Acting is ...

M.I.A.
05-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Your right I can't explain myself lol.

Mankind I'd nothing but insolence and competition, does that sound like you?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!