/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice

MilkMan
03-23-2015, 12:27 AM
Salam everyone,

I am stuck in a dilemma right now and I am not sure where to proceed. I was always a smart student in university, but lately life has been tough. I was diagnosed with depression and I took the semester off from school. However I am not getting better. I know that Allah has the power to do everything, I understand that. My main concern is that I don't know what I am doing in my life anymore school wise. I am doing a useless science degree, which I had hopes to go into medicine with. However, that doesn't seem likely. I just don't know where I am going anymore. I honestly don't. It is scary. I know that sometimes my faith in Allah is weak, and it need to improve. But I don't know how to improve that. I just feel lost, right now and I need to strengthen my relationship with Allah. I feel that sometimes nothing will ever work out, but I know Allah has put me in this situation for a reason. But I have a hard time accepting it. I am probably rambling on right now, but any advice one may have I would truly appreciate it.

Thank you

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
03-23-2015, 05:24 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear that. At least, the good news is that you are not alone in having to deal with such matters. Life is a test. That is for sure.

The way I see it, you are facing an uncertain period of your life. It also happens to fall around the 'fulcrum' where you decide what what career path you want.

Perhaps you should look at something else and not medicine?

:peace:

Muslim Woman
03-23-2015, 11:31 AM
:sl:

did u talk to your parent? U may also talk to course
teacher / students counseller. I m sure they will give some guide line about what to study, where to study.

keep praying to Allah to strengthen your faith and grants what's best for u.

ardianto
03-23-2015, 03:37 PM
When I was kid my scout leader told me that I should have a hobby because someone who has hobby will have better motivation of life. Later I know, he was right.

Having a hobby will make our life varies and will avoid us from boredom. Having a hobby will make us have a dream to achieve something. In example, if we love cooking then we will have a dream to able to cook like professional chefs. And it will affect other things too, like study or career. We will also have a dream about study or career, and will more able to love what we do.

Brother, the conclusion that I take after I notice your case is, you get boredom because your routine in study. My advice is try to out from your routine and get refreshment. Go to beach or recreation park. Do something that you like, and have a hobby to make you avoided from boredom.

Hopefully it will help. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MuslimInshallah
03-23-2015, 08:51 PM
Assalaamu alaikum MilkMan,

Perhaps this thread may help you, inshAllah.

http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-a...ight=depressed

May Allah, the Kind, Help you Heal.

BeTheChange
03-24-2015, 05:57 PM
Walaikumasalaam

You have mentioned your depression in relation to your uncertainty about your chosen career field.

I think there is a lot of pressure from society, from family, from friends, from potential or current spouse etc to outperform in all areas of life, in particular, in education and having a steady good income/career.

It doesn't matter which job you hold as long as you are happy. Try and identify your strengths, weaknesses, likes and dislikes in different professions and maybe do some voluntary work to aid you in your decision making?

If you can't find anything or the job demands too much of your time and energy - really think whether this chosen career will benefit you in the akhira. I think we forget to ask ourselves this fundamental question when we choosing career paths. Also think about the significance and impact of chosen career and whether it is compatible with family life.

Try visiting this website in sha Allah, it will help? http://www.prospects.ac.uk/graduate_job_search.htm

Don't worry too much if you can't decide as long as your earning a halaal income this is our main goal & don't be depressed there is sooo much more to life than work and your job role.

I think you should also focus on your relationship with Allah swa. Set time aside each day for Allah swa and show your appreciation for what you have.

Wish you all the best.

Scimitar
03-24-2015, 06:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MilkMan
But I don't know how to improve that.
the answer is very simple bro.

make salaah in masjid - there's nothing hard about walking to your local masjid (or driving) and spending twenty minutes there in your worship to Allah. Nothing hard at all.

Why don't you try it akhi?

Scimi

M.I.A.
03-24-2015, 07:31 PM
I'd say complete your degree.. Depends how long you have to go but in my personal experience.. You should not waste your time.

If it leads to a job fair enough but if not, at least you enter the "rat race" with a little step up..

Iv been there and you would rather already have a win than a loss on record.

Secondly the grass is always greener on the other side. It does not matter which job you want.. Peace of mind and being comfortable are something you have to work towards.

Religion will help for sure but its a learning process in itself..

As for depression it's like any other feeling.

Take anger for instance, if you were angry you would probably know why?

Find the cause and act against it, be it demotivation or bone idle ness.. Sometimes I sit here and I'm nearly driven out of my mind!

..and then somebody comes in and talks to me for a while and it's like there was nothing to it in the first place.

Patience and perseverance, don't do yourself wrong and don't wright yourself off..

Before you have even had a chance to see the world and live your life.

Pressure may always be there... Especially if you make something of yourself.

But I would guess you are at a stage in your life where your decisions are key..

You will get over your mistakes and decisions given time.. But you would rather not dwell on missed opportunities for the rest of your life.

Ridwaan Ravat
03-25-2015, 01:22 PM
Assalamualykum

Respected brother, I admire your will power and willingness to move forward despite all the challenges, remarkable indeed.

Know very well Allah only test who he loves and thats what makes you very Special.

Try and do the following:

1. Recite excessively

La hawla wa la quwwata ila billa

2. Recite excessively

Astaghfirulla

3. Pray your five daily salaah

4. Pray two rakaats optional prayer with the intention that Allah must guide you to what is best for you. After the two rakaats recite the following 11 times

Allahuma khir li wakhtar li

May Allah help, guide and bless you.

Be positive, when despondency over takes you seek refuge from the devil as despondency is from him.

Hang in there as Allah's mercy is with you

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!