/* */

PDA

View Full Version : In religious knowledge what should I focus on?

crimsontide06
04-11-2015, 07:22 PM
I am so confused. I have downloaded over 1,300 e-books on various subjects in Islam; so far I have looked at a few pages of several books but never actually read one. I have had most of them for several months.

I don't know Arabic & have not started trying because I am afraid it will be too hard(I feel, why start when I am going to fail or, I am just too stupid to learn it).

I dont read Quran much because I figure, I need to learn Arabic since the English may be no good.

I pray but lately I feel it is just movements with no actual meaning..mainly because I have a hard time not thinking of other things during prayer, my mind wonders to other things....some of it being religious but not prayer.

I know almost nothing about Islamic history, names of any companions...etc.

Another thought that comes(when I chose a book to potentially read) is, how can I know I can trust this source, is it really Islamic or just innovation..

I also, when wanting to learn, start thinking of ways to help others be more religious, when I need to focus on myself..instead of trying to fix others

Should I focus on subjects such as imann, laws/sins..

Maybe it is a trick of shaitain. I have so many ideas of what I should/want to be doing but never any action. This is a huge problem with me even with non religious stuff.

For example, I have learned a lot about exercising,even made workout plans, how to eat right...etc yet I have not put it into action.

I have like 32 files of different Islamic topics, each file has dozens(some have a few hundred) of ebooks,sub files with even more ebooks..

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
04-12-2015, 04:51 AM
I can understand your situation.

First thing first, you got to remember that seeking knowledge of the deen is a lifetime work. Even then it is not all learnt.

So, there is a lot to learn. Where would I start? I started by reading the stories of the prophets (according to islam) from Adam all the way through to our own prophet Muhammad saw. You will read the history and the consistency in the messages throughout the ages and learn of the characters of each prophet.

Hence, when it comes to the final revelation, the Quran, we could see the development and how it completes the message.

Many people view that the Books offered the same message but my understanding is that each Book taught something new to the followers.

The Zabur is about the Oneness of Allah and praises

The Torah (like Zabur) but with additional mechanics of human interaction (do unto others what you expect others to do unto you)

The Bible introduces forgiveness and with forgiveness, the Quran taught about living in a community.

That's how the Book is completed and perfected..

Hope your journey into discovery is a fulfilling and rewarding experience. Take your time.

:peace:

Ummshareef
04-12-2015, 08:16 PM
I would concentrate on ready the Qur'an together with its transliteration and translation.

MuslimInshallah
04-12-2015, 11:14 PM
Assalaamu alaikum crimson,

(smile) There are so many ways to honour our Lord! (smile) I imagine all the possible things we could do and learn, as tasty dishes in a wonderful feast. That Allah Offers us an amazing buffet. But sometimes, I think, we are mistaken in thinking that we need to eat of all of the dishes. But it is not healthy or possible!

I have read on another thread that you have previously worked on your prayers (ma sha Allah!). So now you are confronted with a smorgasbord of possibilities of things to learn...

Might I suggest that you start with one of the fundamentals: the Qur'an? I would suggest: The Meaning of the Holy Qur'an in Today's English by Yahya Emerick (extended study edition) ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/1450549535/ref=rdr_ext_tmb)

This is an easy-to-read translation into everyday English. The extended version also has a fabulous and detailed commentary. When I read it, I am transported back to the Prophet's time. And I also find out all sorts of fascinating tidbits that help bring out the flavour of the Text for an Anglo-American audience.

I would suggest putting aside all the extra files and other opportunities to learn, and focus on this one book for a while. Set yourself to read 10 minutes before sleeping, and 15 minutes when you wake up. (smile) Or a little more, if you find yourself sucked in. But at least this amount of time. Set yourself to do this every day. Even if you are tired, sad, feeling lazy, hyper, whatever. Read at least this much.

(smile) The book has a lot of pages. But if you do a little every day, you will finish it eventually (in sha Allah). And it will suggest opportunities for further learning. Not only will you have read the whole Qur'an in translation, but you'll have a pretty good idea of the historical context of revelation, the characters of the principle Companions, and various other bits of Islamic knowledge.

Bon appétit!

May Allah, the Oft-Forgiving, Bless you for your intentions… and Help you to transform them into meaningful efforts.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
crimsontide06
04-13-2015, 12:10 AM
Thanks!

so Quran, Arabic...& I also found this http://www.qalaminstitute.org/catego.../#.VSsMLvnF9u5

The link has many talks but mostly a series on the life of Muhammad(pbuh)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!