/* */

PDA

View Full Version : breaking a promise to Allah

AlaaY
04-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Assalam Alaikum. Thank you for taking into account my question. i would like to know what is the proper way to conduct kaffarah for breaking a promise to Allah. i have broken promises several times and prayed 2 rakats of tawbah prayer. however i found out that i need to feed or clothe 10 miskeen for each promise broken. in the country i live, maldives, it is hard to identify miskeens. i have tried to get help from some local knowledgeable persons, however they were vague in how i can identify miskeens. i asked whether i could donate to a zakat fund which also helps miskeens, but was instructed not to as it fails the purpose. our country has many beggars though. i want to repent and turn over a new leaf as soon as possible. i am continuing to ask for help from all sources. i have a good job and can afford to provide. pls share any advice as i am scared and want to repent.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ridwaan Ravat
04-26-2015, 05:08 PM
Assalamualykum.

The kaffarah for breaking an oath and some detail are as follows:

1. Free a slave (not applicable in these times), or
2. Feed ten poor people an average two meals, or
3. Clothe ten poor people enough clothes to cover the majority of their bodies.
If one can not do anyone of the above three for a valid reason then he may fast for three consecutive days.

The feeding and clothing should be of moderate standard. One can feed or clothe 10 people in one day or one poor person for 10 days. One cannot feed one person 10 times in one day.

Feeding:
One can either give each poor person one sa’a (3.18kgs) of dates or barley or half sa’a (1.59kgs) of wheat; or he can feed them two meals a day (i.e. lunch and supper). Only bread can be counted as a meal on condition that it is made out of wheat. A child who has just started eating will not be counted as one person. One can either call the poor people home and feed them or one give them the food for them to do as they like.

Clothing:
Any type of clothing can be given that normally covers the body, and the person wearing it will not be counted as naked or half naked. One should also bear in mind that clothing a woman will not be complete unless it includes something that will cover her head (eg: scarf) Giving only trousers will not be counted as clothing a person. Clothes don’t necessarily have to be new; old clothes can also be given on condition they last for three months.

With the assistance of the local brothers as well as the scholars the poor can be identified.

Jazakallah, request duaas

AlaaY
04-27-2015, 11:40 AM
is it permissible to hand out a sum of money that is equivalent to the cost of food/clothing?

MuslimInshallah
04-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Alaay,

(smile) I think it is very good that you are looking to set right something you have done wrong. I thought you might be interested in reading the following:

Qur'an 5:89

Sahih International: Allah will not impose blame upon you for what is meaningless in your oaths, but He will impose blame upon you for [breaking] what you intended of oaths. So its expiation is the feeding of ten needy people from the average of that which you feed your [own] families or clothing them or the freeing of a slave. But whoever cannot find [or afford it] – then a fast of three days [is required]. That is the expiation for oaths when you have sworn. But guard your oaths. Thus does Allah make clear to you His verses that you may be grateful.

You have read Ridwaan's explanation. Yes, if you really can't fulfil your promises, there is a way for expiation. But it is important to do one's best to fulfil one's (serious) oaths.

Imagine you are standing in front of Him of the Day of Judgment. You are shown your promises. Perhaps you discover the consequences of your breaking your promise. Perhaps you hurt someone else. Caused an injustice to occur. What would you want to say or offer on That Day?

(gently) Only you know the particulars of your circumstances. You may get scholarly opinions, but at the end of the day, it is you who are responsible for your actions. So I would turn your question around: do you think that handing out some money for food and clothing is adequate to expiate your oaths?

May Allah, the Equitable, Guide us in our actions in ways that protect us from the terrors of That Day.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abz2000
04-28-2015, 01:55 PM
Assalamu'alaikum wr wb,
I have a similar dilemma sometimes to what sister muslim inshaAllah described with regards to the meaningless oaths.

Like when a female neighbour whose husband i've never seen sees me walking past and says, come around sometime.

I don't want to come across as rude, nor go into a serious and eccentric delving of unnecessary details and lecture delivery since Allah knows i'm not perfect and so do i.
so i just smile as if flattered and say "inshaAllah" and carry on.
Then comes the waswas lol, did i deceive her? i have no intention of going so did i say "inshaAllah" in vain? Etc etc.
Then i think, forget it man, i had no bad intention, neither did i lie, i must've done the best thing.

Or when a cousin asks for a free laptop and i say, let's see what can be done, though i know i can't afford to give it at the time and expect him to know that, but don't wanna say "no".
Oh God, please make me richer so i can give him one! Wa ammassaa ila falaa tanhar.

:)

Ridwaan Ravat
04-28-2015, 11:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlaaY
is it permissible to hand out a sum of money that is equivalent to the cost of food/clothing?
Assalamualykum.

Majority of the scholars are of the opinion that the cash equivalents will not suffice, hence it is highly recommended that clothing or feeding be carried out.

Jazakallah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!