/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Proselytism vs Outreach

gurufabbes
05-14-2015, 09:43 PM
Good day all,

It's been a while since I've posted on here, as life has got in the way. I hope everyone is doing well.

I had a question to members as well as those well-versed in the Koran and Sharia.

Is there generally a distinction made or a difference in priority between the following two:

1. Proselytism: The act of preaching to non-Muslims about Islam (I believe you refer to it as dawa "invitation") and encouraging them to convert

2. Outreach: What I mean by this is strengthening the faith of and/or winning back those Muslims, in the West and elsewhere, who have either strayed from the religion, left it entirely or are sort of "in between".

Are you aware of any particular distinction between both, either in theory or practice? Are there organizations or individuals who specialize in one or the other?

I hope the question is clear.

-gurufabbes

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
05-15-2015, 02:01 AM
There is very little difference between the two as I see it.

If we can make comparison, sometimes it is more difficult to 'repair' a house than it is to rebuild from scratch...

If I am to say anything at all about this, I will approach it from the 'other end' and work backwards.....

I am told on a number of occasions that when it is time for judgment and the promise of Allah (about the hereafter) is clear for everyone to see (of course at that time in most cases it will be the blazing fires of hell that will catch most peoples' attention), those who ignored the message will be blaming those people who knew of the message but never tried to convince the 'ignorant' of the truth. They will claim that we used to sit together, did things together but never seriously explained the message. Apparently you will have to answer these accusations.

There is a verse related to this in the chapters of Noah in the Quran where Allah has foretold how the people of Noah will deny that he ever preached to them and called them to the truth when they witness the hereafter.

So, coming back to the question, the situation will be the same for anyone who denies the truth (going astray and disbelievers). And when they do, they will blame their ignorance on the fact that people did not teach them or warn them, if we did teach them and warned them, they will blame that we didn't force them enough or punish them if they did not heed to the warning....

Hence, if we were to take another hadeeth which goes to the effect of (I'm not sure of the accuracy of the items I'm describing but I hope you get the 'gist') if you see evil happening, stop it if you are physically able(?) if not, speak out against it and the weakest form of protest is in the heart (where you silently disagree with what is happening). In another words, to protect oneself form others pointing fingers, it is best that one takes the step to 'advise' in situations that we can defend ourselves when we are asked why we remained silent when the opportunity was given for us to give explanation...and perhaps call them to the truth.

Hope I make sense... (it is all very clear in my head . . . until I start typing it down).

:peace:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!