/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Riba/loans

ZKY
05-22-2015, 09:04 AM
As-salamu alykum dear brothers and sisters

First of all forgive me for my poor english skills, i hope i am able to make myself understandble.

My concern is regarding about Riba - Loan, I have been unemployed for six months and two weeks ago i got my first job -Alhamdulilah. My current economic situation is bit problematic since i was unemployed, i have been using up my savings, paying for rent food and my old student loans (which is a serious sin i've commited)
Right now i am unable to get any salary until next month and am having shortage of food and i am barely managing to pay the rent. I have been fasting a couple of days just to make my food supply last litte longer hopefully -Inshallah atleast a couple of days more.

My problem is i have a hard time focusing on my work and in my prayers because im so fatigued and hungry all the time. So i have been contemplating on taking a micro-loan just to manage to survive this month, but it is haram to take loans, which i have learnt a great lesson from taking student loans. I come from a simple family background and i don't want to burden my family with my problems.

I'm asking if someone can lend some friendly advice how i can tackle this issue.

Thank you for any advice
Zakariyya

​Salaam'

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MuslimInshallah
05-25-2015, 09:38 AM
Wa alaikum assalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh Zakariyya,

I'm sorry I didn't see this post earlier. I don't know where you are, but it seems to me that you may have a few options to avoid taking another loan:

1) If you have family members who can help you out, and it is only your pride that is preventing you from receiving help from them… I'd suggest a little humility and asking them. (smile) It is hard when we want to prove that we are fully mature and independant adults… but the reality is, that we all need a little help, sometimes. And when we support one another, we are all the better for it. Perhaps, if you can lean a little on others, they will feel more able to lean on you when they are in need one day?

2) If you live in a country like mine (Canada), where there are food banks to help people out… don't be shy. If you explain your circumstances, you will probably be given a little food to tide you over. (smile) And when your finances are better, you could go back and give a little donation, to help others.

3) If you are a graduate and you have a job, you should be able to obtain a credit card. You could buy your food on credit, and as long as you pay it back within the month, you will not be charged any interest. (smile) Just always be frugal, and pay off your monthly balance, and you should be ok.

4) If you cannot do any of the above, you could try letting people around you know of your predicament. You could see if anyone would give you a small interest-free loan to tide you over… and they may even just give it to you as a sadaqa. Which you could accept with your dignity intact… because you could make the intention to give the same amount to another person in need, when you are financially able.

Anyway, welcome to the Forum (I found this post after seeing your introductory thread)! I look forward to hearing more from you.

May Allah, the Nourisher, Help us to be strong enough to submit to Him.

greenhill
05-25-2015, 10:41 AM
I'm not learned about this but I feel there must be some misunderstanding (maybe mine) but I don't think it is haram to take a loan. I'm not even sure that it is haram to pay interest. But I am very certain that it is haram to charge interest.

If you have to borrow, make sure you pay back. If it is with interest, so be it, what can be done?

:peace:

Sakina'141
05-25-2015, 10:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ZKY
As-salamu alykum dear brothers and sisters

First of all forgive me for my poor english skills, i hope i am able to make myself understandble.

My concern is regarding about Riba - Loan, I have been unemployed for six months and two weeks ago i got my first job -Alhamdulilah. My current economic situation is bit problematic since i was unemployed, i have been using up my savings, paying for rent food and my old student loans (which is a serious sin i've commited)
Right now i am unable to get any salary until next month and am having shortage of food and i am barely managing to pay the rent. I have been fasting a couple of days just to make my food supply last litte longer hopefully -Inshallah atleast a couple of days more.

My problem is i have a hard time focusing on my work and in my prayers because im so fatigued and hungry all the time. So i have been contemplating on taking a micro-loan just to manage to survive this month, but it is haram to take loans, which i have learnt a great lesson from taking student loans. I come from a simple family background and i don't want to burden my family with my problems.

I'm asking if someone can lend some friendly advice how i can tackle this issue.

Thank you for any advice
Zakariyya

​Salaam'
:wa:

Yeah I recommend asking your family first, I'm sure your family would rather if you turn to them rather than get a riba loan. If they cannot help then turn to an Islamic bank where they give interest free loan or get a account with interest free overdraft which can be really useful. Alahmdulillah you have a job now but may be you should find out if you can get job seekers allowance or something for 6 months of unemployment period you had, call your local citizens advice bureau to find out about this and other options available. May be also consider, getting another job if you are able to do two jobs.

May Allah help you out of your situation and put right all your affairs, Ameen.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sakina'141
05-25-2015, 11:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah

I'm sorry I didn't see this post earlier. I don't know where you are, but it seems to me that you may have a few options to avoid taking another loan:

1) If you have family members who can help you out, and it is only your pride that is preventing you from receiving help from them… I'd suggest a little humility and asking them. (smile) It is hard when we want to prove that we are fully mature and independant adults… but the reality is, that we all need a little help, sometimes. And when we support one another, we are all the better for it. Perhaps, if you can lean a little on others, they will feel more able to lean on you when they are in need one day?

2) If you live in a country like mine (Canada), where there are food banks to help people out… don't be shy. If you explain your circumstances, you will probably be given a little food to tide you over. (smile) And when your finances are better, you could go back and give a little donation, to help others.

3) If you are a graduate and you have a job, you should be able to obtain a credit card. You could buy your food on credit, and as long as you pay it back within the month, you will not be charged any interest. (smile) Just always be frugal, and pay off your monthly balance, and you should be ok.

4) If you cannot do any of the above, you could try letting people around you know of your predicament. You could see if anyone would give you a small interest-free loan to tide you over… and they may even just give it to you as a sadaqa. Which you could accept with your dignity intact… because you could make the intention to give the same amount to another person in need, when you are financially able.

Anyway, welcome to the Forum (I found this post after seeing your introductory thread)! I look forward to hearing more from you.

Good post! I agree, go to food banks, don't be ashamed, its tough times for many people and alhamdulillah at least this is available for those who really need it. And I agree, may be you can ask a good friend who is trustworthy, Im sure they will understand you are desperate. May Allah Al-Razzaq, provide for us from good sources, Ameen.

Don't worry brother, Islam is not rigid, haram things become halal in desperation and dire need like eating haram meat if nothing halal is available so may Allah forgive us all for any haram we have done out of necessity, Ameen. Always remember, Allah is The Most Forgiving, Most Merciful.

MuslimInshallah
05-25-2015, 11:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
I'm not learned about this but I feel there must be some misunderstanding (maybe mine) but I don't think it is haram to take a loan. I'm not even sure that it is haram to pay interest. But I am very certain that it is haram to charge interest.

Assalaamu alaikum greenhill,

Mmm… I found the following...

`Abdullah bin Mas`ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:
The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) cursed the one who accepts Ar-Riba (the usury) and the one who pays it.

[Muslim].

The narration in At-Tirmidhi adds: And the one who records it, and the two persons who stand witness to it.

وعن ابن مسعود رضي الله عنه قال‏:‏ ‏ "‏ لعن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم آكل الربا وموكله‏"‏ ‏(‏‏(‏رواه مسلم‏)‏‏)‏‏.‏
‏زاد الترمذي وغيره‏:‏ ‏ ‏ وشاهديه، وكاتبه
Sunnah.com reference : Book 18, Hadith 105
Arabic/English book reference : Book 18, Hadith 1615

You might also want to look at this fatwa: http://islamqa.info/en/60185

May Allah, the Oft-Forgiving, Help us in our efforts to follow the Straight Path.

greenhill
05-25-2015, 06:50 PM
Jazakallah khair MuslimInshallah :shade:

That confirms it then, I am among the category that falls in the description; I pay the interest.

Small amounts, we can borrow from friends and relatives, but for major purchases, that's not possible. I'll forever be renting instead of loan repayments of the same amount (and owning it at the end of the term).

I guess, thinking out loud, Iblees, Dajjal and the cohorts have succeeded to make it such that the 'cursed' way becomes the normal practice. :hmm:

Are we resigned to buying cheap old cars and renting? Must everything we buy be from our own savings?

It's got me thinking. . . .

:peace:

ZKY
05-26-2015, 07:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah

Thank you sister for your advice. I talked to my banked yesterday and i told them about my situation. We came to an agreement for a loan that is interest free the first month, then after that they will charge interest. I manage to speak with my employer too and it's guaranteed that my salary will arrive next month, it's a decent company so i trust his words. So i pray if everything goes well, i will manage to repay my debts.

I have been thinking about the things you've mentioned sister, i think i was too stubborn and too high pride from my part. Sometimes you just have to take a step back and acknowledge your problem and it is okay to ask assistance from others.
My family lives abroad and i don't want to depend on them much that is why i am reluctant to ask them for help. But now i have learn't to be open about my situation so i have emailed my family to tell them about my problems.

I thank you all for your sound advices, i will take them into heart you have been very gracious

Salam'
Zakariya

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!