/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do we fast or not on Shab-e-baraath

BeTheChange
06-01-2015, 09:03 PM
Asalamualykum,

I might be too late to receive a response because we have been informed by our masjid teacher that Shab-e-baraath falls tomorrow?

Researching the topic on IslamQA i have found this act to be bidah? Is this true?

Fasting on the day which one believes to be the day of the Mi’raaj is not permissible, and comes under the heading of bid’ah. Even if a person is not sure, but he fasts this day for the sake of being on the safe side, it is as if he is saying, ‘If it is really the day of the Mi’raaj, then I will have fasted it, and if it is not, it will still be a good action that I have done, and if I will not be rewarded for it then I will not be punished.’ This attitude means that a person is committing bid’ah, and he is a sinner who deserves to be punished. But if his fast is not because it is the day of the Mi’raaj, but is rather because it is his habit to fast alternate days, or to fast Mondays and Thursdays, and that happens to coincide with the day known as the day of the Mi’raaj, there is nothing wrong with him fasting it with that intention, i.e., the intention of fasting on Monday or Thursday, or a day on which he usually fasts.
From >> http://islamqa.info/en/11086

Please clarify?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BeTheChange
06-01-2015, 09:38 PM
I think i have found my answer on a different website verifying Q and A.

Reference: al-Bid’u wal-Muhdathaat wa maa laa Asla lahu – Page 612
Fataawa Shaykh Muhammad Ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen – Volume 1, Page 190

Question: We see some people specifying the 15th of Sha’baan with particular supplications and reciting the Qur.aan and performing voluntary prayers. So what is the correct position concerning this, and may Allaah reward you with good?

Response: That which is correct is that fasting the 15th of Sha’baan or specifying it with reciting [the Qur.aan] or making (particular) supplications has no basis. So the day of the 15th of Sha’baan is like any other 15th day of other months. So from that which is known is that it has been legislated for a person to fast the 13th, 14th and 15th of every month, however, Sha’baan is characterised unlike the other months [except for Ramadhaan] in that the Prophet (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) used to fast more in Sha’baan than any other month . So he used to either fast all of Sha’baan or just a little. Therefore, as long as it does not cause difficulty for a person, it is befitting to increase in fasting during Sha’baan in adherence to the example of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam).

Source: http://www.fatwa-online.com/specifyi...ntary-prayers/

Jazahka Allah.

فصيح الياسين
06-02-2015, 06:17 AM
If u want keep fast then. Just like normal nawafil fasts...

Ridwaan Ravat
06-10-2015, 03:32 AM
Assalamualykum

Please forgive me for delay in reply. I trust you will understand.

Although it’s not a proven sunnah, one may observe this nafl (optional) fast in light of the following 10 points:

1. To observe nafl (voluntary) fasts throughout the year is extremely rewarding.

General fast in Sha’ban

2. Sha’ban is a month in which we have been specifically encouraged to observe additional nafl (voluntary) fasts.

Hafiz Ibn Rajab (rahimahullah) says: ‘Since Sha’ban is a prelude to Ramadan, the recital of Quran and the observance of fasts in Sha’ban have been endorsed, just like we do in Ramadan.

(Lataiful Ma’arif,* pg.258)

3. Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) would fast excessively in this month; more than in other months.

(Sahih Bukhari, hadith: 1970 & Sahih Muslim)

4. Sayyidah ‘Aishah (radiyallahu’anha) says: The month in which Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) enjoyed fasting most [outside Ramadan] was Sha’ban

(Sunan Nasai, hadith: 2922 & Sunan Abi Dawud, hadith: 2423)

5. When asked about the reason for this, Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) said:

a) * *‘That is a month in which people become neglectful as it occurs between [2 sacred months] Rajab and Ramadan.’

(Nasai, hadith: 2678 with a sound chain.)

b) In a narration of Abu Ya’la, Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) said: ‘Allah Ta’ala [orders the angles to] write [copy from the lawh mahfuz] all those souls that will die in the coming year. I like to have my death [written] while I am fasting’

(Musnad Abu Ya’la, hadith: 4911 declared sound (hasan) by ‘Allamah Mundhiri in Targhib, vol.2 pg.117 & slightly weak by others.)

c) In the sound (hasan) narration of Nasai quoted above, (hadith: 2678) Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) also said: ‘It is a month in which the deeds [of man] are raised up to Allah. I love that my deeds be raised while I am fasting’

6. ‘Allamah Munawi (rahimahullah) has specified that the deeds are lifted on the 15th night.

(At Taysir; Also see: Su’udul Aqwal wa Raf’ul A’mal of Shaykh ‘Abdullah Sirajuddin, pg.70)

A unique angle

7. Ibn Rajab (rahimahullah) writes: ‘The best optional fasts are those that are observed close to the month of Ramadan; whether before or after (i.e, in Sha’ban or Shawwal). This is just like the optional (what we commonly refer to as sunnah) salats before and after the fard salats. Their virtue is similar to the fard itself. These [salats and fasts] will mend our shortcomings in the fard [salats and fasts]’

(Lataiful Ma’arif, pg.249)

Fasting on the 13th, 14th & 15th of every month

8. We have been encouraged in many a Hadith to observe optional fasts on the 13th, 14th & 15th of every lunar month. These days are labelled as: ‘Ayyamul bid’ (the white*days)

(see Targhib, vol.2 pgs.123-124)

9. In addition to this, the following Hadith adds support for fasting on these days

Specifically in Sha’ban.

Sayyiduna ‘Imran ibn Husayn (radiyallahu’anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) asked him: ‘Have you observed the fast of the middle of Sha’ban?’

When he replied in the negative, Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) instructed him to make up for it after Ramadan.

(Sahih Muslim, hadith: 2737)

The word used in this particular version of the narration is: surrah – سرة – which translates as middle.

Imam Muslim (rahimahullah) has quoted this version of the above Hadith together with the Hadiths that discuss observing fasts on ayyamul bid (the 13th, 14th & 15th).

(For more, see: Sharh Nawawi, hadith: 2737 & Fathul Bari, hadith: 1983)

Some scholars state that this is further supported by the general encouragement of fasting in the middle of every month.

(See Fathul Bari, hadith:1983 & Majma’u Biharil Anwar, vol.3 pg.59-60)

10. When discussing the fast of the 15th of Sha’ban, Ibn Rajab (rahimahullah) writes: ‘We have not been prohibited from observing the fast on the middle day (15th) of Sha’ban. It is in fact part of the ayyamul bid (the 13th, 14th & 15th) which is encouraged every month…’

(Lataiful Ma’arif, pg.261)

Conclusion

In light of the above Hadiths, the ideal would be to fast on the 13th, 14th and 15th of this month (and every other month).

This is an ideal time to at least make an intention of observing these 3 fasts every lunar month.

If one observes the fast of the 15th of Sha’ban only, he should not*be stopped. At the same time it should be noted, that the Hadiths on this topic are broad, and not sufficient to label the specific fast of the 15th as sunnah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BeTheChange
06-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Walaikumasalaam,

Jazahka Allah for taking time out to post and comment. So there is conflicting evidence here. Islam Q & A states we shouldn't fast as it's bidah (innovation), and your research states we can fast...

I never fasted after reading Islam Q&A. Also, we're not allowed to start fasting in the middle of shabaan (unless we're in the habit of fasting).

Is it permissible to fast after halfway through Sha’baan? Because I heard that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade fasting after halfway through Sha’baan

Praise be to Allaah. Abu Dawood (3237), al-Tirmidhi (738) and Ibn Naajah (1651) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When Sha’baan is half over, do not fast.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 590.

This hadeeth indicates that it is not allowed to fast after halfway through Sha’baan, i.e., starting from the sixteenth day of the month.

Please see http://islamqa.info/en/13726.

Unfortunately, this year i haven't fasted in the month of shabaan but next year in sha Allah, i can start fasting at the start of the month so it's permissible.

All is not lost, if anyone wants to reap the rewards, it's highly recommended to continue fasting after Ramadan, if one is able to do so in sha Allah.

Praise be to Allaah.Fasting six days of Shawwaal after the obligatory fast of Ramadaan is Sunnah Mustahabbah, not waajib. It is recommended for the Muslim to fast six days of Shawwaal, and in this there is great virtue and an immense reward. Whoever fasts these six days will have recorded for him a reward as if he had fasted a whole year, as was reported in a saheeh hadeeth from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Abu Ayyoob (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever fasts Ramadaan and follows it with six days of Shawwaal, it will be as if he fasted for a lifetime.” (Narrated by Muslim, Abu Dawood, al-Tirmidhi, al-Nisaa’i and Ibn Maajah).

Source: http://islamqa.info/en/7859

Jazahka Allah.

Ridwaan Ravat
06-10-2015, 08:11 PM
Yes it is correct. Scholars have written based on the hadeeth quoted that it is reprehensible to fast after the half of Shabaan. Reason being one should build up energy and maximize during the holy month of ramadhaan.

May Allah grant us good health and allow for us to take maximum benifit from the month of ramadhaan. Aameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!