/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Cartoons and anime haram?

The-Deist
06-07-2015, 01:18 PM
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

I hope all of you are well in shaa Allah.

Is anime and cartoons haram?

Narrated Abu Juhaifa (Radi-Allahu 'anhu):

The Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam) cursed the lady who practices
tattooing and the one who gets herself tattooed, and one who eats (takes)
Riba' (usury) and the one who gives it. And he prohibited taking the price
of a dog, and the money earned by prostitution, and cursed the makers of
pictures.

Bukhari Vol. 7 : No. 259

Ibn Abbaas radiAllahu anahu said: "I heard the Messanger of Allah sallaAllahu alaihi wa sallam say: Every maker of images will be in the fire; every image that ge made will be brought to life and punish him in Hell. Ibn Abbaas said; 'So if you must do that, make pictures of trees and inanimate objects

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The-Deist
06-08-2015, 01:43 AM
*Bump*

strivingobserver98
06-08-2015, 09:55 AM
Lot of cartoons include excessive violence especially anime's like Naruto or Avatar. Not to mention the love stories and falling for girls all the time.

Imagine the amount of time wasted. Lot of them have series and episodes lasting approx 1 hour each. So let's say it has 4 seasons, that's approximately 50 hours gone right there.

There are much better things to do rather than mindlessly staring at TV boxes.

InToTheRain
06-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Many things that are Haram now will be permitted in the Hereafter. Why is this? maybe because had they been permitted now we would be too busy feeding our Nafs instead of worshiping Allah Most High. Even with such strict rules in place unfortunately it's easy to get side tracked. Irony is every entertainment this world has to offer does not hold a candle to the Beautific visions and ecstasy felt by those who submit to Allah Most High over their Nafs. Consistency and patience being the key.

This is why Jihad Un Nafs is the greatest Jihad because if one must overcome this in order to attain any great status in the Sight of Allah Most High. if someone fights against the enemy for the sake of fame, glory or wealth than that will not benefit him in hereafter.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MuslimInshallah
06-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

Mmm… I do agree that an awful lot of videos are inappropriate, and that it is not good to spend a lot of time on viewing videos. Nevertheless, I do believe that there are some useful and beneficial videos (including in the cartoon format) out there, like this one, Muhammed, the Last Prophet : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGxVWDLO87I or this one: The Man Who Planted Trees : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_7yEPNUXsU

(smile) And though often, what we really need most of the time when we are tired, is to go to sleep, I also believe that occasional entertainment, to rest the weary mind and body, can be something beneficial.

May Allah, the Only One Who Truly Knows, Guide us in our choices.

Note: If children are to watch this, parents should be aware that The Man Who Planted Trees has some disturbing statements about Man's power and God. It is necessary to explain an Islamic point of view. This can, however, be a very good teaching moment to confront head-on the anti-God bias that is usually more subtly stated. It is very possible to re-frame this story along Islamic lines. Disussion of Creation, our role in it, the concept of humans as caretakers, the question of free will and choice, and the illustration of how a human's choosing to act in harmony with His Will brings goodness, and how going against His Will causes desolation and destruction… are all points that can be successfully illustrated using this cartoon, in my opinion.

InToTheRain
06-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Salam Dear Sister,

Hope you and family are well Insha'Allah :)

format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
Assalaamu alaikum,

Mmm… I do agree that an awful lot of videos are inappropriate, and that it is not good to spend a lot of time on viewing videos. Nevertheless, I do believe that there are some useful and beneficial videos (including in the cartoon format) out there, like this one, Muhammed, the Last Prophet : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGxVWDLO87I or this one: The Man Who Planted Trees : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_7yEPNUXsU

(smile) And though often, what we really need most of the time when we are tired, is to go to sleep, I also believe that occasional entertainment, to rest the weary mind and body, can be something beneficial.

May Allah, the Only One Who Truly Knows, Guide us in our choices.
I think scholars have mentioned it's permissible for education but not for entertainment. The OP in question was referring to Anime which is made purely for entertainment. It has many lewd scenes , violence and other things which can have a negative affect on the Heart.

My wife often puts this on for my son in order to get him to eat! Either that or a Nasheed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muK1byizdVU

I discourage her though from making a habit of teaching from phones/TV's/PC because they watch it more for entertainment than to learn. This can be very addictive and harder to stop later on.

I agree we need to "unwind" but we should avoid using means which may prove detrimental to our relation with Allah Most High. it's not something that can be done in one day, I mean Qur'an itself was revealed over a span of over 20 years; the Sahabah reached that state brick by brick. But I think it's important to make an intention of giving up anything which causes or may cause His displeasure. And for that intention alone the Most Merciful will award us for.

Ridwaan Ravat
06-10-2015, 03:46 AM
Wa alaikum salaam.

Alhamdu lillah I'm well and hope the same for you.

If what is meant is watching cartoons, then it is impermissible.

Allah ta'alah has blessed us with this life to prepare for the everlasting life of the hereafter, passing time in futile activity is against our purpose of creation.

Over and above that, researchers have written extensively on the harms of cartoons and the hidden messages contained in them.
The following are just but a few examples :

How do you expect kids to
listen to their parents when
Tarzan lives half naked,
Cinderella comes home at
midnight,
Pinocchio lies all the time,
Aladdin is the king of thieves,
Batman drives at 200 mph,
Sleeping Beauty is lazy,
and Snow White lives with 7 guys.

We shouldn't be surprised when kids misbehave, they get it from their storybooks.

May Allah bless you always. Aameen

MuslimInshallah
08-11-2015, 10:50 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

I just found this fatwa, which I thought might be helpful:

Watching television programs & cartoons

Question

What is the ruling for watching television? Do cartoon programs have a different ruling?

Answered by

Sheikh Sâmî al-Mâjid

The ruling for watching television depends upon what is being viewed.

If the viewer is viewing unlawful images or watching programs with an un-Islamic content, then it is unlawful for him to do so. On the other hand, if he watches permissible programs such as educational programs or the news, then it is lawful.

Cartoons have nearly the same ruling: If they contain unlawful scenes, then it is forbidden to watch them; otherwise watching them is permissible.

And Allah knows best.

Ruqaya Vanh
12-16-2016, 01:16 PM
Salaam 3laikum brothers and sisters

My reply is probably a little late seen the date of your last posts. But I have a question regarding this subject.

The scholars are wright to say this is impermicible due to essence and content, but how do you teach your children that this is wrong if you try to block it out of their lives?

For instance, I was born and grew up in europe, in a non-muslim country. If you turn on the tv at almost any given time of the day, cartoons will be shown. To avoid this, a person should have to decide not to have a tv at all. But then there is the problem of leaving your home, just letting your children go to a friends house, or even family members, where they do have a tv or do whatch these cartoons, because lets face it, how many of the muslims protect their children against these kind of influances? So forbidding this in your own house does not protect your children from these influances and could even feed their curiosity, which can eventually even lead to them seeking out these kind of things and hiding it from the parents, and by our own un-awareness at that time, we will not have the power to explain to our children why these are not ok to watch and what it is containig, could be harmfull for us as a person or as an ummah.

So keeping in mind human nature, and the whispers of sjaitan, is it responsible to try and block this out of their lifes, which will eventually fail because confrontation with these are unavoidable due to the reality of the world we live in today? - or at least at this part of the world.

Thank you

May Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala have mercy on me if I offended our deen in any way and may Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala forgive the ummah for mistakes we undeliberatly may have made.

Ruqaya Vanh
12-16-2016, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll make sure to check it further. Just to avoid making mistakes.

Allah knows best

aaj
12-16-2016, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kiro
Majority of scholars say cartoons are imperssiable to make but there are scholars who permit images especially in the Maliki fiqh as far as I know
Who are these majority of scholars?

Even a conservative site like islamqa.com says its permissible.

"The basic principle with regard to adults watching cartoons for fun is that it is permissible, so long as they are free of anything that is contrary to Islamic teaching such as corrupt beliefs, music and so on."

https://islamqa.info/en/225149

The general principle is that so long it does not have haram content then it's permissible so long as done responsibly.

Kiro
12-16-2016, 08:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aaj
Who are these majority of scholars?

Even a conservative site like islamqa.com says its permissible.

"The basic principle with regard to adults watching cartoons for fun is that it is permissible, so long as they are free of anything that is contrary to Islamic teaching such as corrupt beliefs, music and so on."

https://islamqa.info/en/225149

The general principle is that so long it does not have haram content then it's permissible so long as done responsibly.

That's from my own understanding or should have I said majority opinion?

Islamweb permits it too

aaj
12-16-2016, 08:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kiro
That's from my own understanding or should have I said majority opinion?

Islamweb permits it too
majority scholar or majority opinion is the same, the opinion would be from scholars :)

islamweb is a bit relaxed, they view photography as permissible where as islamqa does not, which is why i said even this conservative site believes what i stated so was curious to know who these majority scholar/opinions are.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!