/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are Muslims Afraid of the Truth?

kidcanman
06-14-2015, 06:19 AM
Every time somebody posts something on this board that challenges Islam in an uncomfortable way the thread gets closed or the person gets banned by an administrator.

Is it not permissible in Islam to ask questions that actually challenge Islam?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abz2000
06-14-2015, 06:49 AM
...With respect and sincere intention to learn and improve.

Allah warns us in chapter 6 - al An'aam, verse 121 that it is the satans who inspire their friends to wrangle just for the sake of fitnah so it's essential that one is careful.

kidcanman
06-14-2015, 07:42 AM
Agreed. But what if the person is respectful and sincerely interested in learning and improving, and yet the question challenges a fundamentally held belief of Muslims? Is it correct according to Islam to simply dismiss the question? And I'm not referring to an abstract question that can't be answered like "Where did God come from?". I'm referring to a question that is challenging and very nuanced in it's answer and still very logically explainable.

The reason I bring this up is because I am under the impression that Islam promotes reasoning and self reflection as opposed to dogma and blind faith. But these administrators seem to discourage discourse that could be misleading to some and in some cases is difficult to explain.

So again is it Islamic to prohibit certain questions about Islam that are problematic if the person is sincerely trying to improve and learn?

Muslim Woman
06-14-2015, 08:42 AM
:sl:

if one asks to ' know ' about Islam , surely s/he won't be banned . We don't have any personal hatred against anyone here . So , when we close any thread or delete any post , we do it for the sake of Allah - to avoid unnecessary debate , to save one's time and energy for a better work etc etc .

So , if your intention is good , pl. ask .

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
06-14-2015, 09:51 AM
Salam alaykum

If you want to ask some questions about Islam you should also remember that most of us in forum are not scholars. Its better to appoint time with imam and ask him. Then return to here and tell us what he said.

keiv
06-14-2015, 01:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kidcanman
Every time somebody posts something on this board that challenges Islam in an uncomfortable way the thread gets closed or the person gets banned by an administrator.

Have any specific threads in mind? You should post the links here so we can see exactly what you're talking about.

kidcanman
06-14-2015, 03:13 PM
Keiv Salaam. MS, SH waalaikum salaam. There is no particular thread that angst me. I'm just concerned that certain ideas or beliefs have been cut off and that free thought has been inhibited.
I once presented some ideas on a Christian board and they banned me basically because they could not adequately refute my ideas and they felt that the ideas were dangerous for mass consumption in regards to the integrity of their beliefs.

It's just a shame that Muslims should have to shut down free thought when a question is logical. We have the Quran and we have our history. You don't need to be a scholar to think....

Muslim Woman
06-14-2015, 04:51 PM

may I know what do u mean by free thought and logical questions ?

Eric H
06-14-2015, 05:44 PM
Greetings and peace be with you kidcanman;
I'm just concerned that certain ideas or beliefs have been cut off and that free thought has been inhibited.
I am a Christian and have been posting here for about ten years, I would say the mods have been very fair over the years.

In the spirit of praying to 'One God'

Eric

sister herb
06-14-2015, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by keiv
Have any specific threads in mind? You should post the links here so we can see exactly what you're talking about.
Salam alaykum

I bet he means threads started by spammers.

Like this one:

http://www.islamicboard.com/clarific...ion-peace.html

keiv
06-14-2015, 06:04 PM
Keiv Salaam. MS, SH waalaikum salaam. There is no particular thread that angst me. I'm just concerned that certain ideas or beliefs have been cut off and that free thought has been inhibited.
I once presented some ideas on a Christian board and they banned me basically because they could not adequately refute my ideas and they felt that the ideas were dangerous for mass consumption in regards to the integrity of their beliefs.

It's just a shame that Muslims should have to shut down free thought when a question is logical. We have the Quran and we have our history. You don't need to be a scholar to think....
Walaykum asalaam. Surely there has to be some examples of closed threads / banned users on here that you speak of otherwise you wouldn't have made the thread, right? I'm just a little confused.

keiv
06-14-2015, 06:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Salam alaykum

I bet he means threads started by spammers.

Like this one:
Oh yea, that guy. Well, the OP can follow his threads/posts to get an idea of what his mission was. He never did get back to me on the "They may insult Islam" thread :hmm:

BeTheChange
06-14-2015, 09:56 PM
Asalamualykum,

Hope everyone is well today in sha Allah.

Are Muslims afraid of the truth?

Our history is founded upon struggle, wars have been fought to stand up for what we truly believe in, we have been imprisoned and still continue to be imprisoned for our beliefs, we have been discriminated against in the past and faced institutional discrimination (as well as other forms of discrimination) which continues to exist, our lands have been invaded, we have been mentally, emotionally and physically tortured so am not sure how one can ask or even contemplate on the idea that Muslims are afraid of the truth.

We live for the truth and make sacrifices to speak the truth.

In relation to certain threads being closed, it all depends on which threads you are referring to.

Am 100% certain the admin team will be able to justify their actions.

You can message them for information or post your concerns on this thread.

kidcanman
06-15-2015, 04:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman

may I know what do u mean by free thought and logical questions ?
Thoughts that do not adhere to commonly agreed upon ideas but at the same time can be expressed logically. Take for example the idea that men and women can pray side by side (I don't agree with this but it's just an example).

If someone were to mount a noteworthy argument in favor of this position, there is a good chance that a moderator will attempt to stop the thread and some might be tempted to ban that person.....

It is annoying to me that this is the case and from my understanding prohibition and antagonism of free thought is not Islamic.

Scimitar
06-15-2015, 04:56 AM
The very fact that the mods and admin have let your dribble continue proves otherwise :D

And since this thread has failed the OP's premise - it really doesn't deserve to be kept current - lock and archive :D

Hows that for administration procedure? :D

Scimi

Muslim Woman
06-15-2015, 09:20 AM

Thoughts that do not adhere to commonly agreed upon ideas but at the same time can be expressed logically. Take for example the idea that men and women can pray side by side (I don't agree with this but it's just an example).

what u think is logical , I may think that is very illogical . So , how to decide who is right and who is wrong ?

Allah gave us guidelines in holy Quran and His last Prophet pbuh explained these in Hadith . So , if one believes men and women can pray together , side by side - we can not allow such posts because Quran and Hadith don't agree with this .

So , this kind of so called ' free and logical ' thoughts , publicity of such ideas are not allowed in Islam . Remember , if u encourage any good deed , u will be rewarded ; at the same time if u encourage to do some evil , u will become sinner .

Islamic guidelines are very clear about these . So , in the name of free , logical thought , Islam does not allow freestyle illogical speech , acts .

And Allah Knows Best.

Abz2000
06-15-2015, 01:03 PM
From practical experience,
I recall praying outside haraam shareef once and a woman of very delicate flesh came and stood to pray next to me and when things got crowded i felt a guilty sense of uncomfortable comfort which makes me realise that men and women must pray in separate rows.
That's from experience, whereas the sahih hadith clearly describe the messenger of God pbuh praying, a boy behind him, and the boy's mother or grandmother behind the boy.
The rules aren't just there for no reason.

Scimitar
06-15-2015, 02:41 PM
SO that's what this thread is about? segregated areas for men and women in masjids?

To the OP,

brother - listen to me. When you worship Allah, it should be with the utmost concentration, giving it your all - without any worldly distractions - you shouldn't even entertain the possibility of it, because when we worship Allah, we do it with every fibre of our body and every last drenching piece of spiritual energy - how does one do that when they are standing next to a non mahram woman within very close proximity - shoulder to shoulder? It just doesn't fly bro.

You can rant and rave - but all it shows that you have not developed any real wisdom yet... seriously. Stick around, you may learn something if ALLAH wills.

Scimi

Muhammad
06-15-2015, 11:05 PM
:wasalamex

I think the question has been answered so we can close this thread. In future, if you have an issue with the forum administration it would be better to post in the Helpdesk section which is dedicated for discussing such queries.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!