/* */

PDA

View Full Version : islamic name

Lisa921
06-16-2015, 04:28 PM
Assalamu alaykum
I would like to change my name unofficially to asila...its a Swahili name meaning nobel origin.
Is this allowed?
I like it because its lisa spelled backwards. it represents me starting over. most people choose an Arabic name but I wanted to have something more personal and I found this name on BabyCenter.
let me know if its an acceptable Islamic name please
lisa

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
06-16-2015, 04:46 PM
It's okay if you choose Asila as your username or even your name. You don't have to use Arabic name. Ardianto is not Arabic name, but Javanese name. I chose it because I am from Java ethnic. My real name is not Arabic name too.

:)

Ridwaan Ravat
06-16-2015, 04:47 PM
Assalamualykum.

Whilst it is permissible as the meaning is good, as per your information.

However, it is highly encouraged to keep a name of a noble companion or a pious person. With the intention that the good qualities of the person has an effect.

Jazakallah khair

The-Deist
06-16-2015, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lisa921
Assalamu alaykum
I would like to change my name unofficially to asila...its a Swahili name meaning nobel origin.
Is this allowed?
I like it because its lisa spelled backwards. it represents me starting over. most people choose an Arabic name but I wanted to have something more personal and I found this name on BabyCenter.
let me know if its an acceptable Islamic name please
lisa
Maybe Maryam would be good.

plus Lisa spelled backwards.

Asil

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Lisa921
06-16-2015, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by StrivingforDeen
Maybe Maryam would be good.

plus Lisa spelled backwards.

Asil
yes but asil sound like a boys name so I added an 'a' and then I researched it and found out it was a real name in Swahili so there you go.:)

strivingobserver98
06-16-2015, 08:11 PM
Alternative suggestions

With A
- Asiya
- Aisha
- Asma
- Ayana

With L
- Laila
- Lailat
- Leena

Lisa921
06-16-2015, 08:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by فرحان
Alternative suggestions

With A
- Asiya
- Aisha
- Asma
- Ayana

With L
- Laila
- Lailat
- Leena
I know Aisha and asiya are people but what are the meanings of the other names?

strivingobserver98
06-16-2015, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lisa921
I know Aisha and asiya are people but what are the meanings of the other names?
Use this website :ia:

http://quranicnames.com/

You can simply search the name and meanings will come up straight away.

Scimitar
06-17-2015, 02:23 AM
Don't choose Asiya - it means Disobedient:

In Sahih Muslim hadeeth collection:

Ibn 'Umar reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) changed the name of 'Asiya (Disobedient) and said: You are Jamila (i. e. good and handsome). Ahmad (one of the narrators) narrated it with a slight variation of wording.

Ibn 'Umar reported that 'Umar had a daughter who was called 'Asiya. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) gave her the name of Jamila.

http://theonlyquran.com/hadith/Sahih...e=25&chapter=3

Scimi

EDIT: The meaning of the name Alisha is Honest, truthful, Protected by Allah. http://www.muslimnames.info/name/Alisha

ardianto
06-17-2015, 08:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar

Ibn 'Umar reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) changed the name of 'Asiya (Disobedient) and said: You are Jamila (i. e. good and handsome). Ahmad (one of the narrators) narrated it with a slight variation of wording.

Ibn 'Umar reported that 'Umar had a daughter who was called 'Asiya. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) gave her the name of Jamila.

http://theonlyquran.com/hadith/Sahih...e=25&chapter=3

Scimi

EDIT: The meaning of the name Alisha is Honest, truthful, Protected by Allah. http://www.muslimnames.info/name/Alisha
There is difference (in pronunciation) between 'Asiya which mean disobedient, and Asiya which mean healing, caring, or the one who heal.

Notice the hadith in the link below. The name that changed by Rasulullah (saw) was 'Asiya, not Asiya.

http://www.searchtruth.com/book_disp...19&number=5332

Scimitar
06-17-2015, 10:40 AM
too close for comfort bro ardi.

Scimi

muslimah bird
06-17-2015, 08:06 PM
I agree Jamila is good name suggested here

MuslimInshallah
06-17-2015, 11:31 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Lisa,

(smile) Your name is a shortened form of Elizabeth, which is the name associated with the mother of John the Baptist (Yahya). It has forms in Hebrew and Arabic, and means something along the lines of "God is my oath". (mildly) So it seems to me that this is a very beautiful name. (twinkle) And while I personally love the meanings of the name Asiya (they are very positive, plus this is the name of one of the most repected women in Islam), Lisa is a lovely name, too.

An Islamic name is one that is beautiful and uplifting. (smile) I think yours falls into this category.

May Allah, the Possessor of all the Beautiful Names, Bless and Guide all those who seek to Please Him.

Lisa921
06-18-2015, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
Assalaamu alaikum Lisa,

(smile) Your name is a shortened form of Elizabeth, which is the name associated with the mother of John the Baptist (Yahya). It has forms in Hebrew and Arabic, and means something along the lines of "God is my oath". (mildly) So it seems to me that this is a very beautiful name. (twinkle) And while I personally love the meanings of the name Asiya (they are very positive, plus this is the name of one of the most repected women in Islam), Lisa is a lovely name, too.

An Islamic name is one that is beautiful and uplifting. (smile) I think yours falls into this category.

May Allah, the Possessor of all the Beautiful Names, Bless and Guide all those who seek to Please Him.
thanks sister:D:muslimah::wub:

Signor
06-18-2015, 06:13 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar

JazakAllahu Khair Bro,You provide me something to look into.

Sahih Muslim » The Book on General Behaviour (Kitab Al-Adab)

حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو بَكْرِ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا الْحَسَنُ بْنُ مُوسَى، حَدَّثَنَا حَمَّادُ بْنُ سَلَمَةَ، عَنْ عُبَيْدِ اللَّهِ، عَنْ نَافِعٍ، عَنِ ابْنِ عُمَرَ، أَنَّ ابْنَةً لِعُمَرَ، كَانَتْ يُقَالُ لَهَا عَاصِيَةُ فَسَمَّاهَا رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم جَمِيلَةَ ‏.‏

Al-Adab Al-Mufrad » Names
Ibn 'Umar said that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, changed a woman's name from 'Asiya (rebellious), saying, "You are Jamila (beautiful)."

حَدَّثَنَا صَدَقَةُ بْنُ الْفَضْلِ، قَالَ‏:‏ حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى بْنُ سَعِيدٍ الْقَطَّانُ، عَنْ عُبَيْدِ اللهِ، عَنْ نَافِعٍ، عَنِ ابْنِ عُمَرَ، أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ غَيْرَ اسْمَ عَاصِيَةَ وَقَالَ‏:‏ أَنْتِ جَمِيلَةُ‏.‏

Sahih Muslim » The Book on General Behaviour (Kitab Al-Adab)
Ibn 'Umar reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) changed the name of 'Asiya (Disobedient) and said:

You are Jamila (i. e. good and handsome). Ahmad (one of the narrators) narrated it with a slight variation of wording.

حَدَّثَنَا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ حَنْبَلٍ، وَزُهَيْرُ بْنُ حَرْبٍ، وَمُحَمَّدُ بْنُ الْمُثَنَّى، وَعُبَيْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ سَعِيدٍ، وَمُحَمَّدُ بْنُ بَشَّارٍ قَالُوا حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى بْنُ سَعِيدٍ، عَنْ عُبَيْدِ اللَّهِ، أَخْبَرَنِي نَافِعٌ، عَنِ ابْنِ عُمَرَ، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم غَيَّرَ اسْمَ عَاصِيَةَ وَقَالَ ‏ "‏ أَنْتِ جَمِيلَةُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ أَحْمَدُ مَكَانَ أَخْبَرَنِي عَنْ ‏.‏

Sahih Muslim » The Book Pertaining to the Merits of the Companions (Allah Be Pleased With Them) of the Holy Prophet
Abu Musa reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying:

There are many persons amongst men who are quite perfect but there are none perfect amongst women except Mary, daughter of 'Imran, Asiya wife of Pharaoh, and the excellence of 'A'isha as compared to women is that of Tharid over all other foods.

وَحَدَّثَنَا أَبُو بَكْرِ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ، وَأَبُو كُرَيْبٍ قَالاَ حَدَّثَنَا وَكِيعٌ، ح وَحَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ، بْنُ الْمُثَنَّى وَابْنُ بَشَّارٍ قَالاَ حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ جَعْفَرٍ، جَمِيعًا عَنْ شُعْبَةَ، ح وَحَدَّثَنَا عُبَيْدُ اللَّهِ، بْنُ مُعَاذٍ الْعَنْبَرِيُّ - وَاللَّفْظُ لَهُ - حَدَّثَنَا أَبِي، حَدَّثَنَا شُعْبَةُ، عَنْ عَمْرِو بْنِ مُرَّةَ، عَنْ مُرَّةَ، عَنْ أَبِي مُوسَى، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ كَمَلَ مِنَ الرِّجَالِ كَثِيرٌ وَلَمْ يَكْمُلْ مِنَ النِّسَاءِ غَيْرُ مَرْيَمَ بِنْتِ عِمْرَانَ وَآسِيَةَ امْرَأَةِ فِرْعَوْنَ وَإِنَّ فَضْلَ عَائِشَةَ عَلَى النِّسَاءِ كَفَضْلِ الثَّرِيدِ عَلَى سَائِرِ الطَّعَامِ ‏"‏ ‏.‏

Sahih al-Bukhari » Companions of the Prophet

Narrated Abu Musa Al-Ash`ari:

Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "Many amongst men attained perfection but amongst women none attained the perfection except Mary, the daughter of `Imran and Asiya, the wife of Pharaoh. And the superiority of `Aisha to other women is like the superiority of Tharid (i.e. an Arabic dish) to other meals."

حَدَّثَنَا آدَمُ، حَدَّثَنَا شُعْبَةُ، قَالَ وَحَدَّثَنَا عَمْرٌو، أَخْبَرَنَا شُعْبَةُ، عَنْ عَمْرِو بْنِ مُرَّةَ، عَنْ مُرَّةَ، عَنْ أَبِي مُوسَى الأَشْعَرِيِّ ـ رضى الله عنه ـ قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ كَمَلَ مِنَ الرِّجَالِ كَثِيرٌ، وَلَمْ يَكْمُلْ مِنَ النِّسَاءِ إِلاَّ مَرْيَمُ بِنْتُ عِمْرَانَ، وَآسِيَةُ امْرَأَةُ فِرْعَوْنَ، وَفَضْلُ عَائِشَةَ عَلَى النِّسَاءِ كَفَضْلِ الثَّرِيدِ عَلَى سَائِرِ الطَّعَامِ ‏"‏‏.‏

Sunnah.com

Note the spelling difference of the name in Arabic,the name is spelt عَاصِيَةَ (ayn, alif, saad, yah, ta-marbuwtah) in the first three narrations. This name is from the root word ayn-saad-alif, which means to disobey(Google translates عَاصِيَةَ into disobedient) .

For the latter is آسِيَةَ (alif, seen, yah, ta-marbuwta) which means healing or caring.

All we need is to pronounce and write the name differently to avoid the unfortunate meaning.

Scimitar
06-18-2015, 07:50 PM
Unfortunately westerners can't pronounce the "ain" sound as it isn't developed in their western languages...

...my advice - don't let this become a problem just because it sounds "nice"... I already offered the sister the name "alisha" which is also a beneficial Arab name which sounds like Lisa... :)

Excuse me, I must go now, for there go my people and I am their leader :D

Scimi

MuslimInshallah
06-18-2015, 09:40 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Scimi,

(smile) You are right, 'ain doesn't exist in English. Which is why it's not a problem to use Asiya. (twinkle) Because no one could inadvertently get it wrong!

(smile) But seriously, as the names we use should be chosen for the meanings they have for us… it is more a question of what we intend and what is understood. I haven't come across a single Asiya who thought her name meant "disobedient"! Everyone I have ever met who is called Asiya, or who knows someone named Asiya, understood this name as being very positive.

(smile) But there are very many other nice names. And of course, we all have our favourites. Alisha (from Sanskrit "protected by God", or Germanic "noble") sounds very nice, too.

May Allah, the Nourisher, Accept our fasts this Ramadan.

Lisa921
06-19-2015, 12:32 AM
Assalamu alaykum
Well all these suggestions and discussion is for naught.
Im keeping Asila as my second/Islamic name in my mind should anyone ask me again what my Islamic name is...not saying lisa is unislamic :)
You know what I mean though.
peace
Lisa

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!