/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What to do during Ramadan?

Aaqib
06-20-2015, 02:53 PM
This may be quite surprising to you but it really shouldn't be after reading.

So I have barely anything to do in Ramadan, only just to sit in front of a computer for hours and hours. What can I do? I found out that this is haram to waste your time on the computer by my dad.
I can't recite/read since my voice is gone (again)
I can't give donations
I can't go and play around with my friends until Tuesday of Next Week
I can't rest since I don't fall asleep for some reason
I can't really do anything, it's so hot outside so I can't play and my brother's lazy so I can't pray inside the house

and btw what about sitting on the computer for hours and hours is that haram?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aisha
06-20-2015, 03:18 PM
السّلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Try not to waste time on the computer for hours. Every second in Ramadhan is precious and the hours of forgiveness could pass you by without you realising.

You can read Quran (doesn't have to be aloud) as long as your lips are moving, you'll receive the reward of reciting. (Tilawah)
Listen to Quran.
Memorise a few Ayahs every day.
Dhikr - there are many forms.
Listen to a lecture/Bayan about the virtues of Ramadhan.
Can you attend any classes?
Make as much Dua as you can. Dua is our most powerful weapon and an excellent form of worship. Once you start really talking to Allah, you'll realise how incredible this is.
Make up your missed prayers, if you have any. If you're lucky enough not to have any, offer optional prayers.

If you want to get out and about, even volunteering at a local food bank carries much reward.

There's so much more I haven't mentioned.

One of my friends is fighting terminal cancer. She hasn't given up on attaining the blessings of Ramadhan despite being in a lot of pain and is bedbound a lot of the time. Makes me feel quite humbled. We can all take a lesson from that.

May Allah accept our efforts. Ameen.

BeTheChange
06-20-2015, 05:41 PM
Sitting down for long periods, is generally, bad for your health.

Research has suggested that remaining seated for too long is bad for your health, regardless of how much exercise you do.

Studies have linked excessive sitting with being overweight and obese, type 2 diabetes, some types of cancer, and premature death. Prolonged sitting is thought to slow the metabolism, which affects the body's ability to regulate blood sugar, blood pressure and break down body fat. Many adults in the UK spend more than seven hours a day sitting or lying, and this typically increases with age to 10 hours or more.

This includes watching TV, using a computer, reading, doing homework, travelling by car, bus or train – behaviours referred to as sedentary – but does not include sleeping.

Experts believe there is something specific about the act of sitting or lying for too long that is bad for our health.

One of the largest pieces of research to date on the subject – involving almost 800,000 people – found that, compared with those who sat the least, people who sat the longest had a:

• 112% increase in risk of diabetes
  • 147% increase in cardiovascular events
  • 90% increase in death caused by cardiovascular events
  • 49% increase in death from any cause

SOURCE: http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/fitness/pages/sitting-and-sedentary-behaviour-are-bad-for-your-health.aspx

Sis Aisha, has posted several activities you can engage yourself in. To add to the list you can;

• Help your mum, dad, carers, with thier daily chores, whether that's helping in the kitchen, housework, cleaning the car, running errands, cooking and so on.

• Helping neighbours, being attentive to thier needs! Maybe even offering food during ramadan.

• Being extra polite and curteous to everyone you meet. Smiling is considered as a charity so don't knock down the small acts.

• I know you said your voice has gone, but you can make silent duas in your mind and speak to Allah swt from heart and mind, without the use of the tongue. Alhamdulilah.

• Giving company to elderly people if they live by themselves, as they might feel lonely and your company might lift thier spirits.

• Increasing your islamic knowledge and implementing new habits. So you can read books. One excellent site is; (the old users will probably know this site off by heart now, because i recommend this to everyone (:D) - http://kalamullah.com/

In sha Allah, this will keep you busy!

Hope you benefit greatly in sha Allah & Ameen.

~ Umm Aaminah ~
06-22-2015, 02:52 PM
:salamext:

Why can't you read Qur'aan silently? You don't have to recite really loud? You can do Dhikr.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
shahjalal
06-24-2015, 11:53 PM
Watch lectures on youtube

SittingInPlace
06-25-2015, 02:03 AM
I was the same way just last ramadan when I was a bit younger and had a lot on my mind. There are so many things you could do that will still be for the sake of Allah.

You could start by cleaning the house or even just taking a shower to simply past time. Allah likes us to be clean. You could read Qur'an silently and even try to memorize the translations to the ones you already know or some new ones. You could listen to lectures on things like, I don't know say "Is it haram to sit in front of the computer for long hours while fasting?" You could even learn to cook something new. Cooking is one of my favorite things to do during Ramadan. To feed the fasting people is a grate reward and it past time quite nicely. It's also nice to see what you are capable of making as well. I hope I helped you.

By the way, it is not haram to sit in front of the computer for long hours while fasting, it's just look down upon. It's a waste of a perfectly good day in the holy month. It's best to focus on Allah in this time.

Lady A
07-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Br. Aaqib, is your voice back?

There's a ton to do during Ramadan! Think outside the box.

• Cook a meal to distribute to a needy family.
  • Donate your old clothes...or even your favorite clothes (following the tradition of loving for your brother what you love for yourself).
  • Clean the house (sadaqah for mom :D)
  • Clean the masjid
  • Plant a tree
  • Distribute food at your local Masjid (if your masjid does iftar dinners)
  • Make dua for every person you met in your lifespan
  • Memorize Allah's 99 attributes and know when to use them
  • Pray Nafl
  • Keep in the state of wudhu

Every second counts! There's soooo much to do!

Aaqib
07-01-2015, 02:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lady A
Br. Aaqib, is your voice back?

There's a ton to do during Ramadan! Think outside the box.

• Cook a meal to distribute to a needy family.
  • Donate your old clothes...or even your favorite clothes (following the tradition of loving for your brother what you love for yourself).
  • Clean the house (sadaqah for mom :D)
  • Clean the masjid
  • Plant a tree
  • Distribute food at your local Masjid (if your masjid does iftar dinners)
  • Make dua for every person you met in your lifespan
  • Memorize Allah's 99 attributes and know when to use them
  • Pray Nafl
  • Keep in the state of wudhu

Every second counts! There's soooo much to do!
Alhamdullilah I made a dua 2 days before I got my voice back so yes my voice is back, so I recite the Quran a lot now :)
Shukran for your suggestions sister, and to everyone else

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!