/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Learning healthy eating this Ramadan

Lisa921
06-25-2015, 11:58 AM
Assalamu alaykum
Living in the west with so much access to unhealthy, fatty, salty, sugary bad food can be so tempting. I have succumbed to the temptation of that food years and packed on the pounds to show it. I have not appreciated my body like I should have because I put into what didn't deserve to there (ie chips, cookies, fried crap, and lots of other junk).
This Ramadan I am taking a whole new approach to food. I am joining herbal magic and learning from a food coach how to eat to live not live to eat. I have been on the program for three days and already learned so much and benefited. I have dropped 3lbs. But more importantly I have felt healthy and more fuller longer by adopting a healthy eating pattern.
I learned that vegetables and fruit really fill you up more than anything and they should be the bulk of your dinner plate, condiments and sauces have many hidden ingrediants that deter your weight management goals, and proteins should be eaten in small amounts, moderate amounts.
I am not doing this for vain reasons...although I do have a wedding to prepare for....But I am doing it to appreciate food. Ramadan is all about appreciate those people who do not have access to food. I want to show them due respect by making sure the choices I make regarding food are healthy and smart, and that I don't abuse my body I am fortunate in this life to have access to good food and I have to stop choosing the bad stuff in moments of weakness. Its not showing that I appreciate my good fortune when I do this.
So that's what I have learned so far this Ramadan regarding food and healthy eating.
Alhamdulillah I have access to plentiful amounts of foods and Alhamdulillah I can choose not to overindulge and eating unhealthy.
Thanks for reading this.
Asila

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Iceee
06-25-2015, 02:55 PM
Salaam.

So true. So many people would rather go to the nearest fast food restaurant and fill their stomach with greasy fatty foods rather than try to make their own food or at least try healthy foods. Then they wonder how they gained those 20 pounds without noticing. It takes everyone by surprise when this happens.

Alhumdulillah we are blessed with this amazing month of Ramadan where we can fast and feel the cravings of food and people living without it in many parts of the world. Inshallah we all begin to appreciate the body Allah Subhanahuwatallah has given us. After Ramadan, I expect all Muslims to buy a bike or start hitting the gym, drink a lot of water (avoiding caffeine drinks if possible) and realize that we are given so much which we take for granted such as food. It makes me so happy seeing non-Muslims fasting with us and coming to the mosque with us to break the fast.

BeTheChange
06-25-2015, 10:57 PM
Walaikumasalaam,

Very wise step to take. Our bodies is given to us as a trust and you're right, we shouldn't abuse or over-indulge.

Well done for losing 3 pounds! That's a huge achievement!!

Miqdam ibn Ma’d reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, say, “There is no vessel which the son of Adam can fill that is more evil than his stomach, for it is enough for him to take a few bites in order to straighten his back. Yet if he is overcome by appetite, then he may fill it with a third of food, a third of drink, and a third of breath.

Obesity-related illnesses is a huge strain on the NHS - a free health service in the UK.

It's true what they say - you don't know what you have until you lose it - i.e. your health.

Good luck with changing your eating habits. It's a life-time commitment and i hope you continue with healthy eating and looking after your body In sha Allah.

BeTheChange
06-25-2015, 10:59 PM
attachmentphp?attachmentid5490&ampstc1 -

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!