/* */

PDA

View Full Version : There are four kinds of men

strivingobserver98
07-02-2015, 09:47 PM
Al-Farahidi said: “There are four kinds of men:

رجل يدري ويدري أنه يدري فذلك عالم فاتبعوه، ورجل يدري ولا يدري أنه يدري فذلك نائم فأيقظوه، ورجل لا يدري ويدري أنه لا يدري فذلك مسترشد فارشدوه، ورجل لا يدري ولا يدري أنه لا يدري فذلك جاهل فارفضوه

“The man who knows, and knows that he knows, he is learned, follow him.

Another is the man who knows, but knows not that he knows, he is asleep, awaken him.

A third is the man who know not, and knows that he knows not, he seeks guidance , so guide him.

A fourth is the man who knows not, and does not know that he knows not, he is a fool, shun him”.

"Ihya Uloom Ad-Deen" of al-Ghazali (RA)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
07-02-2015, 11:47 PM
Another 4 types of men . . .

One who make things happen
One who follows what happen
One who watches what happen
One who wonders what happened

;D

:peace:

Scimitar
07-03-2015, 12:32 AM
What is the point of this thread? just to know there are four types of men? :D

I've heard many of these "there are only *enter numerical value here* *enter types of observations here*"

What do they prove? that we can ascribe to stereotypes? unwilling to give the human being a chance to change and develop?

This thread promotes linear thinking. I don't ascribe to linear principles - always the lateral ones :)

Which uncannily, put me in the first category - but don't follow me - follow the sunnah of the prophet (pbuh) instead, I too am trying to do that.

peace.

Scimi

Lady A
07-03-2015, 01:08 PM
clearly, i'm the first type of man

jokesss!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Traditio
07-08-2015, 08:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by فرحان
Al-Farahidi said: “There are four kinds of men:

رجل يدري ويدري أنه يدري فذلك عالم فاتبعوه، ورجل يدري ولا يدري أنه يدري فذلك نائم فأيقظوه، ورجل لا يدري ويدري أنه لا يدري فذلك مسترشد فارشدوه، ورجل لا يدري ولا يدري أنه لا يدري فذلك جاهل فارفضوه

“The man who knows, and knows that he knows, he is learned, follow him.

Another is the man who knows, but knows not that he knows, he is asleep, awaken him.

A third is the man who know not, and knows that he knows not, he seeks guidance , so guide him.

A fourth is the man who knows not, and does not know that he knows not, he is a fool, shun him”.

"Ihya Uloom Ad-Deen" of al-Ghazali (RA)
This is basically a Socratic sentiment. The last point ultimately is off, as is the second. It's probably a flat contradiction to know x, but not to know that one knows x. One knows this at least in potency. Furthermore, fools, in the sense above intended, most certainly are not to be shunned. This is the point of Socratic questioning: to enlighten the fool by showing him that he doesn't know the things that he thinks he knows. So, in point of fact, there are three kinds of men:

1. Those who know.
2. Those in a state of enlightened ignorance.
3. What Al-Ghazali calls fools.

In point of fact, the vast majority of men are fools.

Traditio
07-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Pardon me for the additional posting, but if I may follow up my previous points, in the same vein as the initial posting:

1. Listen attentively to the first and question them, that you may share in their wisdom.
2. The "great sea of the sciences" (Plato's symposium) and the higher form of dialectic is for the second form of men (at least, in the natural order).
3. The "lower" form of dialectic, i.e., the Socratic form of questioning, is for the third form of men (again, at least, in the natural order).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!