/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Zakat how often? Zakat foundation?

SaladinAbdullah
07-11-2015, 06:00 PM

بِسْمِ ٱللَّهِ ٱلرَّحْمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Selam Alekum and Ramadan Mubarak

I have a question about zakat, I have searched the forum here and I fond this:
islamicboard.com/worship-in-islam/134325983-zakat-calculation.html?highlight=zakat

here it says that we should give 2,5 % of our wealth.
So now Im wondering is it really 2,5 %? and is it 2,5 % of:
our total savings?
our monthly income?
and how often should we give zakat, every day? once in a week? or once in a month?

And what zakat foundation do you recommend to give to on the net?
So far I have been givin zakat to these sites:

zakat.org/
guideus.tv/

Thank you in advance

Ma Selam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
07-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Waalaikumsalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh, Ramadan Mubarak.

Actually the amount 2.5% for "profession zakat" is the result of ulama consensus in in the modern day. This is charged to income that someone get in his profession like salary for employee, or business profit for businessman. It's based on income. So, if your income is 1,000 you must pay zakat 25.

You can pay zakat daily, weekly, or monthly.

SaladinAbdullah
07-11-2015, 11:20 PM
:statisfie thank you brother

Aisha
07-11-2015, 11:52 PM
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

Zakat is 2.5% of total wealth once you've reached Nisaab, which is the threshold. It's usually paid on savings, gold and assets which you've had for a year. It is paid yearly. The rulings pertaining to Zakat are very specific so please speak to a qualified and practicing scholar in your locality if you're unsure of anything.

To calculate the amount that needs to be paid, you can use the Zakat Calculator here: http://www.nzf.org.uk/Calculator

I hope that helps inshaAllah. The website above has lots of useful information.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SaladinAbdullah
07-12-2015, 01:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

Zakat is 2.5% of total wealth once you've reached Nisaab, which is the threshold. It's usually paid on savings, gold and assets which you've had for a year. It is paid yearly. The rulings pertaining to Zakat are very specific so please speak to a qualified and practicing scholar in your locality if you're unsure of anything.

To calculate the amount that needs to be paid, you can use the Zakat Calculator here: nzf.org.uk/Calculator

I hope that helps inshaAllah. The website above has lots of useful information.
Sister now Im confused, 1. I dont know what Nisaab is? 2. why is zakat paid yearly? (for example if I meet a poor person who is in need of a small change of money to buy some food, and if I then replay: sorry I cant help you now until the end of the year, this does not make sense to me).
I think it makes more sense to me if I would give zakat once a week (like every Jummah) 2,5 % of my total job income
and InshAllah Allah will accept it :nervous:

ardianto
07-12-2015, 01:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SaladinAbdullah
Sister now Im confused, 1. I dont know what Nisaab is? 2. why is zakat paid yearly? (for example if I meet a poor person who is in need of a small change of money to buy some food, and if I then replay: sorry I cant help you now until the end of the year, this does not make sense to me).
I think it makes more sense to me if I would give zakat once a week (like every Jummah) 2,5 % of my total job income
and InshAllah Allah will accept it :nervous:
Sister Aisha was referring to zakat mal in general that charged for treasures that you have like gold or saving. This zakat is paid yearly. However, for zakat that charged from your regular income like salary, according to consensus of ulama, you don't have to wait until one year, but you can pay anytime, like monthly, or weekly. The qiyas (analogy) for zakat of income is zakat that charged for agricultural product which paid after harvest.

ardianto
07-12-2015, 01:57 PM
(for example if I meet a poor person who is in need of a small change of money to buy some food, and if I then replay: sorry I cant help you now until the end of the year, this does not make sense to me)
You can help poor people through sadaqah anytime. :)

SaladinAbdullah
07-12-2015, 02:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Sister Aisha was referring to zakat mal in general that charged for treasures that you have like gold or saving. This zakat is paid yearly. However, for zakat that charged from your regular income like salary, according to consensus of ulama, you don't have to wait until one year, but you can pay anytime, like monthly, or weekly. The qiyas (analogy) for zakat of income is zakat that charged for agricultural product which paid after harvest.
Brother I dont have any gold so by the end of the year I'll give 2,5 % zakat of my total savings.
So if I have understood this right, there's 2 kinds of zakat?
1. zakat mal = zakat of your yearly savings
2. qiyas = zakat of your income salary

ardianto
07-12-2015, 03:09 PM
Brother I dont have any gold so by the end of the year I'll give 2,5 % zakat of my total savings.
So if I have understood this right, there's 2 kinds of zakat?
1. zakat mal = zakat of your yearly savings
2. qiyas = zakat of your income salary
"Qiyas" means analogy, or "something that regarded similar as". In this case the the income that you get regarded similar as the agricultural product that a farmer produce.

While "mal" means treasure. Zakat mal means zakat that charged for treasure.

:)

ardianto
07-12-2015, 03:20 PM
Nisaab means minimum amount that make someone obligated to pay zakat. In the case of zakat for income, if someone's income still lower than this minimum amount, then he is not obligated to pay zakat. If his income is higher than this minimum amount, then he is obligated to pay zakat.

In my place the minimum amount of zakat for income is similar as the price of 520 kg rice per month (in other places it's based on price of wheat, but in different amount) . And how much it is in form of money?. It's depend on the grain price in your place. You can ask your local zakat institution for this matter.

SaladinAbdullah
07-12-2015, 03:34 PM
Thank you brother for making this more clear for me :statisfie

May Allah bless and forgive you, Amin

ardianto
07-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Thank you brother for making this more clear for me :statisfie

May Allah bless and forgive you, Amin
Amin. Jazakallah khayr for your dua.

MuslimInshallah
07-12-2015, 05:49 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Ardianto,

I was surprised to read your postings about zakat on income. I had never heard of this before. What I have read (and heard) is that you pay zakat on savings at the end of the year, not that you deduct a little off each paycheck. I know about the agricultural zakat, but is it really valid to say that an income is like agricultural produce? I believe people were paid salaries (sometimes in food) during the Prophet's (SAWS) time. Did they pay zakat on this? I know they gave sadaqa from this, but I have not heard of zakat.

Is this idea of paying zakat off each paycheck the common understanding in Indonesia? I am curious to know more about this.

JazakAllah khairan!

ardianto
07-12-2015, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
Assalaamu alaikum Ardianto,

I was surprised to read your postings about zakat on income. I had never heard of this before. What I have read (and heard) is that you pay zakat on savings at the end of the year, not that you deduct a little off each paycheck. I know about the agricultural zakat, but is it really valid to say that an income is like agricultural produce? I believe people were paid salaries (sometimes in food) during the Prophet's (SAWS) time. Did they pay zakat on this? I know they gave sadaqa from this, but I have not heard of zakat.

Is this idea of paying zakat off each paycheck the common understanding in Indonesia? I am curious to know more about this.

JazakAllah khairan!
Wa'alaikumsalam MuslimInshallah.

Like I've said, "profession zakat" is the result of ulama consensus in the modern day. Zakat like this actually did not exist during the period of Salaf. And according to this consensus, if someone pay zakat from income, it doesn't make the rest of his wealth free from obligation of zakat. He still must pay zakat maal for his wealth that paid yearly.

As the result consensus, indeed, profession zakat cause controversy. There are ulama who against it (usually Salafi) because it did not exist in Salaf period. But also there are ulama who support it because this is something good, and do not classify this zakat as bid'ah. How about in Indonesia?. Majority of ulama in Indonesia support this consensus. Zakat of income is very common applied in Indonesia.

Then, how if someone decide to give 2.5% of his income to the poor and he give it monthly?. Is it considered as bid'ah?. .... Ummah in Indonesia has simple answer "If giving zakat like this considered as bid'ah, just change your intention into giving sadaqah". Simple isn't it?. So, ummah don't need to debate about it. Isn't if we give more, this is better?.

:)

Aisha
07-12-2015, 10:57 PM
I am also unaware of any of our local and international scholars telling us to pay on the monthly wage. (Hanafi Fiqh) interesting to see the different rulings.

In short, Zakat is paid yearly. 2.5% of total wealth which one has been in possession of for a year.

If someone wishes to give charity at other times, this is a recommended Sunnah but won't be classed as Zakat. It is Sadaqah, and can be any amount. There's no fixed amount and no fixed time to pay. There is much reward in this.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!