/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is makeup haram to wear?

CalmIslam
07-16-2015, 09:39 PM
Can Anyone please Help me understand if makeup is haraam to wear ? A evident answer please, please & thank you [emoji4]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
07-17-2015, 05:12 AM
There are already discussions about this matter, like:

http://www.islamicboard.com/worship-...up+haram+halal

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...hlight=make-up

CalmIslam
07-17-2015, 05:15 AM
Thank You [emoji173]️

greenhill
07-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Like a lot of the 'fringe' questions where there's not a lot of clear directives to consider, I always go back to the real intention of doing, or wanting to do whatever it is. What IS the intention. Don't kid yourself.

If you are uncertain and feel not right, then leave it. That is waswas.

:peace:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CalmIslam
07-17-2015, 07:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
Like a lot of the 'fringe' questions where there's not a lot of clear directives to consider, I always go back to the real intention of doing, or wanting to do whatever it is. What IS the intention. Don't kid yourself.

If you are uncertain and feel not right, then leave it. That is waswas.

:peace:
Exactly [emoji5]️ thank you !

MuslimInshallah
07-17-2015, 07:24 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Asha,

(smile) This question about makeup pops up quite often. Basically, I think it's important to look at what cosmetics do. Then it becomes easier to answer the question of should we wear it.

Essentially, by making your eyes appear larger, and making your cheeks and lips redder, cosmetics simulate sexual arousal in a woman. They also make a woman look younger, healthier and more fertile, traits that other women admire (twinkle. And we do like to compare well with other women!)… but also traits that are sexually attractive to men.

So my question to you Asha would be: knowing that wearing cosmetics make you look like you are sexually aroused… would you want to go out looking like this? Or would you prefer only your husband see you in this state? And do you want to attract men in general to you… or just your husband?

Unless the cosmetics themselves are harmful, either to you or to an another (such as an unborn or breastfed child… and some substances can be harmful- be careful), I don't think that the products themselves are haraam. But just as sexuality is limited in Islam to marital partners, so I personally believe that the use of sexual enhancers such as cosmetics should be limited to our marital partners.

(smile) I hope this helps you.

May Allah, the Guide to the Right Path, Help us to make choices that are Pleasing to Him.

hisnameiszzz
07-17-2015, 08:12 PM
Can I also just butt in, and apologies if this is not in context with the OP, but if anyone uses skincare, please be sure to check the contents. A lot of creams and lotions have urea in them!

sister herb
07-17-2015, 08:17 PM
Also, remember that cosmetic industry still might tests those chemicals of cosmetics by the animals. Is the suffering of innocent animals the price you are ready to pay to looking more attractive? :hmm:

MuslimInshallah
07-17-2015, 08:43 PM
Assalaamu alaikum ZZZ,

Mmm… I'm assuming that you think the creams are impure because of the urea? Because urea is one of the components of urine? But, you know, urea can be synthesized (and I believe it generally is from artificial synthesis that urea is made for industrial uses). Furthermore, I believe that it is human urine which is that which is impure for us and causes us to need to wash it off before we can pray. (smile) And I think it highly unlikely that human urine would be used to manufacture creams!

Furthermore, urea is naturally produced by our bodies to help keep our skin healthy. (smile) This is one reason we put it in creams. http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/skin-and-...ent-cream.html Are our skins impure? (smile) Also, we can find various salts in urine. And water. Are these substances therefore impure?

I found this fatwa on urea, if you are interested: http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=44692

(smile) Thank you for bringing this up; it is an interesting point to consider, and may be one that many people have wondered about.

May Allah, the Designer, Bless those who seek to Please Him.

CalmIslam
07-17-2015, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
Assalaamu alaikum Asha,

(smile) This question about makeup pops up quite often. Basically, I think it's important to look at what cosmetics do. Then it becomes easier to answer the question of should we wear it.

Essentially, by making your eyes appear larger, and making your cheeks and lips redder, cosmetics simulate sexual arousal in a woman. They also make a woman look younger, healthier and more fertile, traits that other women admire (twinkle. And we do like to compare well with other women!)… but also traits that are sexually attractive to men.

So my question to you Asha would be: knowing that wearing cosmetics make you look like you are sexually aroused… would you want to go out looking like this? Or would you prefer only your husband see you in this state? And do you want to attract men in general to you… or just your husband?

Unless the cosmetics themselves are harmful, either to you or to an another (such as an unborn or breastfed child… and some substances can be harmful- be careful), I don't think that the products themselves are haraam. But just as sexuality is limited in Islam to marital partners, so I personally believe that the use of sexual enhancers such as cosmetics should be limited to our marital partners.

May Allah, the Guide to the Right Path, Help us to make choices that are Pleasing to Him.
That's A Really Great Explanation I was just wondering because there are a lot of sisters in today ummah that wears hijab & also put makeup on so I was confused but thanks I get it now [emoji5]️

hisnameiszzz
07-17-2015, 10:01 PM
Assalaamu alaikum ZZZ,

Mmm… I'm assuming that you think the creams are impure because of the urea? Because urea is one of the components of urine? But, you know, urea can be synthesized (and I believe it generally is from artificial synthesis that urea is made for industrial uses). Furthermore, I believe that it is human urine which is that which is impure for us and causes us to need to wash it off before we can pray. (smile) And I think it highly unlikely that human urine would be used to manufacture creams!

Furthermore, urea is naturally produced by our bodies to help keep our skin healthy. (smile) This is one reason we put it in creams. http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/skin-and-...ent-cream.html Are our skins impure? (smile) Also, we can find various salts in urine. And water. Are these substances therefore impure?

I found this fatwa on urea, if you are interested: http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=44692

(smile) Thank you for bringing this up; it is an interesting point to consider, and may be one that many people have wondered about.

May Allah, the Designer, Bless those who seek to Please Him.
Oooh thanks for that auntie MI.

How would one know if it's man made or real urea?

I thought urea and urine were the same thing. And more than a 2p piece worth or urine on clothes or body makes you unclean and therefore have to ghusl before you pray, so I assumed that liberally putting lotion/cream with urea on one's body would equate to more than 2p piece worth. Forgive me if I got it completely wrong. Apologies if I am barking up the wrong tree.

I have very dry skin and used to use a certain brand until my Sister told me it had urea in it.

Karl
07-18-2015, 12:59 AM
Yes it is haram. Makeup and jewellery, vain adornments and silk clothing is forbidden. Think Taliban not Times Square prostitute and you will be ok.

Lady A
07-18-2015, 01:32 AM
If you want to dress up for your husband and use halal cosmetics, then it's not haram. I actually think it's encouraged.

Lot's of girls I know wear make up to parties, weddings (gender separated), etc, but they wear niqab to cover.

CalmIslam
07-18-2015, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karl
Yes it is haram. Makeup and jewellery, vain adornments and silk clothing is forbidden. Think Taliban not Times Square prostitute and you will be ok.
Thank you for your explanation much needed [emoji4] salaam

CalmIslam
07-18-2015, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lady A
If you want to dress up for your husband and use halal cosmetics, then it's not haram. I actually think it's encouraged.

Lot's of girls I know wear make up to parties, weddings (gender separated), etc, but they wear niqab to cover.
Yeah that's understandable [emoji5]️ thank you

MuslimInshallah
07-18-2015, 02:01 AM

It was narrated from Abu Musa that :
The Messenger of Allah [SAW] said: "Gold and silk have been permitted for the females of my Ummah, and forbidden to the males."

أَخْبَرَنَا عَلِيُّ بْنُ الْحُسَيْنِ الدِّرْهَمِيُّ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الأَعْلَى، عَنْ سَعِيدٍ، عَنْ أَيُّوبَ، عَنْ نَافِعٍ، عَنْ سَعِيدِ بْنِ أَبِي هِنْدٍ، عَنْ أَبِي مُوسَى، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ "‏ أُحِلَّ الذَّهَبُ وَالْحَرِيرُ لإِنَاثِ أُمَّتِي وَحُرِّمَ عَلَى ذُكُورِهَا ‏"‏ ‏.‏
Grade : Sahih (Darussalam)

Reference : Sunan an-Nasa'i 5148
In-book reference : Book 48, Hadith 109
English translation : Vol. 6, Book 48, Hadith 5151

Karl
07-19-2015, 12:36 AM
It was narrated from Abu Musa that :
The Messenger of Allah [SAW] said: "Gold and silk have been permitted for the females of my Ummah, and forbidden to the males."

أَخْبَرَنَا عَلِيُّ بْنُ الْحُسَيْنِ الدِّرْهَمِيُّ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الأَعْلَى، عَنْ سَعِيدٍ، عَنْ أَيُّوبَ، عَنْ نَافِعٍ، عَنْ سَعِيدِ بْنِ أَبِي هِنْدٍ، عَنْ أَبِي مُوسَى، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ "‏ أُحِلَّ الذَّهَبُ وَالْحَرِيرُ لإِنَاثِ أُمَّتِي وَحُرِّمَ عَلَى ذُكُورِهَا ‏"‏ ‏.‏
Grade : Sahih (Darussalam)

Reference : Sunan an-Nasa'i 5148
In-book reference : Book 48, Hadith 109
English translation : Vol. 6, Book 48, Hadith 5151

In what context is this hadith? As it seems to contradict the Quran. Does it mean in private to please the husband, but surely not public like a decadent pagan?

Lisa921
07-19-2015, 09:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lady A

This is a good way to use this invention in a positive way. Like everything, there is good uses in just about everything.

MuslimInshallah
07-20-2015, 11:44 PM
In what context is this hadith? As it seems to contradict the Quran. Does it mean in private to please the husband, but surely not public like a decadent pagan?
Assalaamu alaikum Karl,

(mildly) Would you mind quoting the passages you are referencing? And constructing a clear and comprehensive argument for your various assertions?

JazakAllah khairan.

CalmIslam
07-21-2015, 01:41 AM
Assalaamu alaikum Asha,

I have another question lol [emoji28] what if you wear makeup that's not intriguing just an eyeliner on the top eyelid & lipstick ?

ardianto
07-21-2015, 02:58 AM
:sl:

There are two 'levels' of wearing makeup. "Thin makeup" that makes the wearer still look natural. And "thick makeup" that makes the wearer look 'colorful'. Women who wear thin makeup do not intend to attract men's attention. They wear it just to make them look fresh. Different than the women who wear thick makeup.

It's better if we do not generalize that all women who wear makeup must be intend to attract men's attention.

CalmIslam
07-21-2015, 03:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
:sl:

There are two 'levels' of wearing makeup. "Thin makeup" that makes the wearer still look natural. And "thick makeup" that makes the wearer look 'colorful'. Women who wear thin makeup do not intend to attract men's attention. They wear it just to make them look fresh. Different than the women who wear thick makeup.

It's better if we do not generalize that all women who wear makeup must be intend to attract men's attention.
Okay well I don't wear makeup I rather be without but WHEN I do I don't wear it I just put some underneath my eyes & wear eyeliner on top & lipstick not to attract men but for myself [emoji173]️ so is it still Haraam ?

sister herb
07-21-2015, 07:52 AM
It´s difficult to know what is intriguing and what isn´t to some other people whose see you using any kind of makeup.

MuslimInshallah
07-21-2015, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by asha1896
I have another question lol [emoji28] what if you wear makeup that's not intriguing just an eyeliner on the top eyelid & lipstick ?
Assalaamu alaikum again Asha,

(smile) You say "just an eyeliner… and lipstick"… but again, I'd ask: what are these doing?

(smile) Men often think that women enhance themselves to attract men. But in reality, women tend to be a lot more concerned about what other women think, than what men think. For the most part, women are not wearing the latest peak-a-boo fashions and make-up to attract men, but to gain approval from other women. It is mostly women who are going to give a woman feedback on her hair, nails, face, clothes, body…

Nevertheless, the things we women do, whether we are aware of it or not, do affect men. I am all for women having freedom. But I also believe in men having freedom, too. We all, in my opinion, have to consider not only what we want, but also how our choices affect others. It is, I believe, a question of consideration for others, and a question of good manners.

God has Created men to be sexually stimulated by a woman's body. If a man is not stimulated, he cannot perform sexually. While non-visual cues do exist, visual ones are very important. This is just a reality.

Some women argue that it is not fair that women have to be more careful of how they dress and decorate themselves. They say: well, why don't men also have to cover? Or : why don't men just control themselves? (smile) Of course, men should also take care in how they dress and behave. But being fair doesn't mean everyone is treated or behaves in exactly the same way in all circumstances.

For example, if a blind person is expected to read regular textbooks for university, would this be fair? Or is it more truly fair to accommodate the person's blindness, and allow access to braille books, audio books, or a person to read the textbooks?

Knowing that men are sexually stimulated by women's bodies, is it not fair, in mixed environments, for women to take care how they dress and decorate themselves? (And is it not also fair, O men, to try not to look and restrain yourselves…?).

(smile) How does this tie in with a little bit of eyeliner and lipstick? Well, if I were to say: the eyeliner makes your eyes look bigger and more defined, and the lipstick makes your lips more defined and probably flushed (depends on the colour). Dilated pupils signal a woman's interest in something (including men), and emphasizing the eyes has an effect on men similar to this pupil dilation (and receiving a woman's interest is a definite turn-on for men). Flushed lips signal sexual arousal in a woman (which a man is likely to interpret as: she's turned on by me). You can have a large effect (more striking contrasts or more vivid colours, for instance), or more subtle ones. But nevertheless, overall, the signals that men are receiving are stimulatory ones.

Knowing this, do you want to wear make-up in your public life? (smile) This is your decision to make. Each person has their own particular set of circumstances, and each person is responsible for their choices.

I hope this helps.

May Allah, the Forgiving and Kind, be Gentle with us in our sincere struggles in this life.

Karl
07-22-2015, 07:16 AM
Assalaamu alaikum Karl,

(mildly) Would you mind quoting the passages you are referencing? And constructing a clear and comprehensive argument for your various assertions?

JazakAllah khairan.
"Gold and silk have been permitted for the females of my Ummah, and forbidden to the males." I believe the context of this quote may mean that males should not dress in a feminine manner.

MuslimInshallah
07-22-2015, 12:31 PM
As it seems to contradict the Quran.
Assalaamu alaikum Karl,

(smile) I was hoping you might quote the passages from the Qur'an that you felt that the hadith I quoted contradicted, and explain how you came to the conclusion that make-up, jewellery, adornments and silk clothing are forbidden.

(mildly) Allah Reminds us in surahs such as 16:116:

Sahih International translation: And do not say about what your tongues assert of untruth, "This is lawful and this is unlawful," to invent falsehood about Allah . Indeed, those who invent falsehood about Allah will not succeed.

(mildly) When making assertions as to what Allah Permits or not, we have to be very careful. (smile) It is why I am very loathe to categorically state something of this kind, unless the Qur'an or strong ahadith are very clear on something. In life, there are so many possible permutations of circumstances, that we may make pronouncements that are incorrect. If we say: I think that such-and-such should be forbidden, it is one thing. But to say: Allah Forbids such-and-such, is another. It is, indeed, a great sin to assert something in God's Name that might not be correct.

I do not disagree with you that living a simple life and restricting the use of adornments may be part of our surrender to what is most Pleasing to Allah. But I do feel that we need to be nuanced and careful in what we say, especially in a public forum, where people may be trying to learn about Islam. Sincere debate in order to better understand our Deen is a very positive thing, I think. But I do believe that we need to be careful. (smile) And I say this to myself as well; it is so easy to make mistakes!

May Allah, the Forbearing, Forgive us and Guide us to that which is Pleasing to Him.

aminah996
06-15-2016, 09:38 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Asha,

Very beautifully explained. Couldn't help but to comment, this is a very detailed response. In which makeup users cannot deny to admit. Jazakallahu khairan sister. May Allah reward you for the knowledge you presented beautifully in the discussion.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!