/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

cathlin01
07-18-2015, 11:05 AM
Assalamualaikum. I want to ask for advice. I'm sorry if my English is bad.

I was born a Muslim. I was raised by my grands, aunt & uncle until I reached 2yo, then I got back to where my parents live.
I was kinda a pious when I was a kid. My grandmother taught me things how to pray. I went to mosque, I read the Quran, I did shalat etc. I went to Islamic schools since I was a kid until I reached my senior high school.

But here's the problems. My parents are Muslim but they never pray. I mean, they have ever prayed but it seems like they pray only once in a six month like they pray whenever they feel like. They're kind parents in general. Many of my parents' friends see know they have much respect for others whether they are Muslim or non Muslim. They have raised me like any other parents. But I feel like something was missing.

My big family isn't all pious. In fact, only my mother, father, my aunt&uncle don't pray/read quran/ but they sometimes fast in Ramadan and do normal stuff.

The fact that some of my family members don't do shalat made me stopped praying since I was in the 2nd grade of elementary until now. Of course I did pray but only in my school because it's Islamic school.

The point is, I've been on and off with my faith. It's like one day I feel like I'm Muslim and the other day I feel like I'm not. And I think it's because of the influence of my parents who don't pray everyday. Like the other side of me always thinks 'if they can do whatever they want, then I can do whatever I want too' They don't even tell me to go to pray and do things that's usually related to Islam. So I didnt come from a pious family and I'm lack of education in Islam. The only thing that tells me about Islam is from my school.

I've been depressed before for almost a year because I felt betrayed by my bestfriend. I felt hopeless and I cried everyday because I couldn't fix I wanted to fix. And one night, that desperation of all the things around me led me to some thoughts about leaving Islam. But I knew deep down it was wrong and Allah would never forgive me.

In this Ramadan, I have set up few goals. I have to be what I used to be when I was a kid. I started to pray again, read Quran, even I haven't gone to mosque. I'm trying my best so that I can please Allah. But every time I see my parents, something inside me always hits me in the heart and turn my good intentions to something bad. One day in this month of Ramadan, my parents always preached me about going to college, they were mad at me for not making my bed etc. I wasn't listening to them. Why would I want to listen to the ones who don't pray when they say they are Muslim?

I need some advice for anyone who could help me to solve this. What should I do with my parents? Should I still obey them and listen to them? And how to make me to be a better Muslim? I really want to repent, is there any way that Allah will forgive me and also my parents? I have to admit that even until now I don't always pray 5 times a day, I fear Allah more than ever before. I'm still working on myself and how to control my mind from being angry and depressed so that I won't forget Allah is always there.

Thank you for those who help me. I hope Allah forgive our sins and lead us on the right path.

And also happy eid mubarak. I hope everyone has a nice day. :) xx

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
07-18-2015, 04:16 PM
:wa:

sis , make dua for your parents so that Allah guides them . But never give up prayers / miss any salat just because your parents don't offer salat . On the Final day , you will be responsible for your deeds . This excuse won't be accepted that i did not pray because my parents did not pray .

Don't be rude with your parents , request them politely to offer salat . If they ask you not to offer salat or disobey Allah , in that cases u won't have to listen to them . But if they tell u to go to college , make bed etc , u should listen to them

May Allah bless u .

greenhill
07-18-2015, 04:59 PM
I have had a recent conversation with my son, late teenager. The world is very different but not do or die. It's a learning time. Not decision time. Parents should use their wisdom from experience of life to guide their children. They HAVE the RIGHT to tell "do as I say and not as I do" so that you don't end up doing what they still do.

They (your parents) are westernised, that's all. Have a chat with them. Tell them your concerns. I'm almost certain that they would not feel alarmed or get angry.

You can say that for a while now you have kind of wished that your dad could imam one night prayer a night. . .kind of thing.

Don't lose faith, ever! The dunya is a test.

:peace:

Abz2000
07-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Maybe watch some decent Islamic programmes with them, childrens cartoons usually make parents think about the need for their children to be better people, and themselves to be better examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG9ifYNKgGQ

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snow
07-19-2015, 12:22 AM
Religion is personal.
Sure, you can share it with others, but it is based on your own belief - which is, at the end of the day, based on personal thoughts.
Do your best to lead by an example. Don't try to force it.
You can't control the views of other people. You can force people to say that they believe one thing, but what they truly believe is in their own head.
You can influence people but that means that they can influence you, too.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!