/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Did i do the right thing?

mahmoud2015
07-19-2015, 09:19 PM
Alsalam alikum everyone

I have joined this forum to seek guidance and knowledge in regards to the sunni madhabs.

I am 28 years old, and have been a shia all my life. I have always been a strong shia unshakable in my beliefs although there were questionable actions of some in the community which i disregarded as misguidance and blamed it on ignorance of the teachings. It was only this year that i have that i have come across certain information that began me to question everything. It was always my belief that the only difference in salah between shia and sunnah was the act of folding the hands,however when i came across someone and we sat down to compare there were quite a few differences even in the way of recitation of the salam and suraht al fatiha in third and fourth rukaa. As a shia we were never told or taught about reciting suraht alfatiha in the third and fourth rukaa but only tasbeeh, which began my journey of research. Also of shia do not know what i found out that it is mustahab for shia to recite suraht al fatiha in the 3rd and 4th rukaa but were never told this directly, it took me hours to come across this information. I felt this was due to perhaps maintain segregation and difference.I went on to study especially the controversial issues such as fasting in ashura, the infallibility of the imams, the opinion of the sahaba. The more i learn the more confused i became, because as a shia i did not know any of this. And some of these issues are hidden or not spoken of yet they are major parts of the madhab. This confusion left me in a state of loss and chose to do istikhara, 4 of them to be precise, 2 are khira(shia version of istikhara) 2 istikhara. All 4 pointed me towards sunnah, which made me take the leap of faith without further study. However as i made the leap, i faced 4 doors, 4 madhabs each so extensive and rich in history, which left me overwhelmed on what to choose where to start studying.

Thus i am here to learn from everyone and to gain understanding of the madhabs and inshallah i will be able to choose a school of thought.

Also i would call my self sunni now however i am not part of any school as of yet, but i have learnt alot about shiaism, and i understand why many sunni brothers would say they are mushriks kafirs etc. I would like to say this, me and my family when i was shia, we did everything to be closer to allah, the flavors of shirk never went well with us and what we see in ashura of blood and other activities we didnt agree with, but that is because we genuinely believed some of these acts and thoughts were misguidance and not part of the madhab, only i realised it was part of it, and infact me disagreeing with some of the things,makes me a deviant from shia. However, due to this, i would call the shia misguided, lied to, kept away from truth, but not kufar and mushrikeen. Just like sunnah, all they want is to worship allah and seek his forgiveness, however, they have been told certain ways can achieve that faster, such as beating your chest.

Anyways, it would be nice to talk to some of you,also if you have any questions about my experience as a shia, or questions in regards to their school of thought please do ask, and i will ask in return and inshallah allah will guide us all on the right path

ws

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Lisa921
07-19-2015, 09:27 PM
I do not have an answer for you . But Welcome to the forum!
Mabrook on your conversion to sunni Islam!
Hopefully you have a beneficial stay here.

mahmoud2015
07-19-2015, 09:44 PM
Thank you very much for your kind words :)

strivingobserver98
07-20-2015, 03:45 AM
:sl:

Welcome to IB :). My question is before as a shia, did you participate in taking blood and hitting your own backs?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
soheil1
07-27-2015, 07:57 AM
The difference between shia and sunni schools is not only thhat you thought. It is about who was the first righteous caliph.

And don't rely on the internet. There are salafi and wahabi people who claim they are sunni people. Internet has both good info and misleading info on it.

But welcome to IB anyway

Abz2000
07-27-2015, 03:39 PM
Allah says: Verily this nation of yours is one nation and I am your Lord, so Serve Me.

Verily those who split up their way of life and become sects (arabic: shia'an)- you are not of them in them in anything.

the youths said: Our lord is the Lord of the heavens and the earth, never shall we call upon anything other than Him.

------
so if you accepted the truth and humbly submitted to Allah, it's as simple as that.
you didn't come out of one way of life and accept another which is similar,
you submitted to Allah.

The Prophet sent Khalid bin Al-Walid to the tribe of Jadhima and Khalid invited them to Islam but they could not express themselves by saying, "Aslamna (i.e. we have embraced Islam)," but they started saying "Saba'na! Saba'na (i.e. we have come out of one religion to another)."
Khalid kept on killing (some of) them and taking (some of) them as captives and gave every one of us his Captive.
When there came the day then Khalid ordered that each man (i.e. Muslim soldier) should kill his captive,
I said, "By Allah, I will not kill my captive, and none of my companions will kill his captive."
When we reached the Prophet, we mentioned to him the whole story.
On that, the Prophet raised both his hands and said twice, "O Allah! I am free from what Khalid has done."

Sahih al-Bukhari,*5:59:628
but then - he wasn't called "sword of God unleashed" without reason.
They were just careful to pick and choose when to unleash the lion.
i believe the Prophet pbuh was dismayed at the fact that captives would have inevitably included women children and elderly. The word that the tribe used was obvious kufr.

Lady A
07-28-2015, 04:25 AM
:wa: :welcome:

You made a giant leap of faith! We're all here to better ourselves, get closer to Allah, and learn more about our religion. May Allah guide us all on the straight path, Ameen.

umairlooms
07-28-2015, 04:52 AM
my suggestion is to get rid of any idea that creates division in the Ummah, and take it from there.
let Allah be your guide and use the Dua of istikhara or simply Dua to ask Allah's guidance.
Surah fatiah is incredible as a Dua asking for guidance.

As for questions for you none...may Allah show you and all of us, the straight path. The Path of Those he has blessed, not the ones who have earned his anger and gone astry. Ameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!