/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Qur'an fragments found in Birmingham University

Insaanah
07-22-2015, 03:36 PM
'Oldest' Koran fragments found in Birmingham University

By Sean Coughlan Education correspondent

21 minutes ago

What may be the world's oldest fragments of the Koran have been found by the University of Birmingham.

Radiocarbon dating found the manuscript to be at least 1,370 years old, making it among the earliest in existence.

The pages of the Muslim holy text had remained unrecognised in the university library for almost a century.

The British Library's expert on such manuscripts, Dr Muhammad Isa Waley, said this "exciting discovery" would make Muslims "rejoice".

The manuscript had been kept with a collection of other Middle Eastern books and documents, without being identified as one of the oldest fragments of the Koran in the world.

Oldest texts

When a PhD researcher, Alba Fedeli, looked more closely at these pages it was decided to carry out a radiocarbon dating test and the results were "startling".

The university's director of special collections, Susan Worrall, said researchers had not expected "in our wildest dreams" that it would be so old.

"Finding out we had one of the oldest fragments of the Koran in the whole world has been fantastically exciting."

The fragments were written on sheep or goat skin

The tests, carried out by the Oxford University Radiocarbon Accelerator Unit, showed that the fragments, written on sheep or goat skin, were among the very oldest surviving texts of the Koran.

These tests provide a range of dates, showing that, with a probability of more than 95%, the parchment was from between 568 and 645.

The person who actually wrote it could well have known the Prophet Muhammad... he would maybe have heard him preach
Prof David Thomas, University of Birmingham

"They could well take us back to within a few years of the actual founding of Islam," said David Thomas, the university's professor of Christianity and Islam.

"According to Muslim tradition, the Prophet Muhammad received the revelations that form the Koran, the scripture of Islam, between the years 610 and 632, the year of his death."

The fragments of the Koran are still legible:

Prof Thomas says the dating of the Birmingham folios would mean it was quite possible that the person who had written them would have been alive at the time of the Prophet Muhammad.

"The person who actually wrote it could well have known the Prophet Muhammad. He would have seen him probably, he would maybe have heard him preach. He may have known him personally - and that really is quite a thought to conjure with," he says.

First-hand witness

Prof Thomas says that some of the passages of the Koran were written down on parchment, stone, palm leaves and the shoulder blades of camels - and a final version, collected in book form, was completed in about 650.
Prof Thomas says the writer of this manuscript could have heard the Prophet Muhammad preach

He says that "the parts of the Koran that are written on this parchment can, with a degree of confidence, be dated to less than two decades after Muhammad's death".

"These portions must have been in a form that is very close to the form of the Koran read today, supporting the view that the text has undergone little or no alteration and that it can be dated to a point very close to the time it was believed to be revealed."

The manuscript, written in "Hijazi script", an early form of written Arabic, becomes one of the oldest known fragments of the Koran.

Because radiocarbon dating creates a range of possible ages, there is a handful of other manuscripts in public and private collections which overlap. So this makes it impossible to say that any is definitively the oldest.

But the latest possible date of the Birmingham discovery - 645 - would put it among the very oldest.

'Precious survivor'

Dr Waley, curator for such manuscripts at the British Library, said "these two folios, in a beautiful and surprisingly legible Hijazi hand, almost certainly date from the time of the first three caliphs".

The first three caliphs were leaders in the Muslim community between about 632 and 656.

Dr Waley says that under the third caliph, Uthman ibn Affan, copies of the "definitive edition" were distributed.
Muhammad Afzal of Birmingham Central Mosque said he was very moved to see the manuscript

"The Muslim community was not wealthy enough to stockpile animal skins for decades, and to produce a complete Mushaf, or copy, of the Holy Koran required a great many of them."

Dr Waley suggests that the manuscript found by Birmingham is a "precious survivor" of a copy from that era or could be even earlier.

"In any case, this - along with the sheer beauty of the content and the surprisingly clear Hijazi script - is news to rejoice Muslim hearts."

The manuscript is part of the Mingana Collection of more than 3,000 Middle Eastern documents gathered in the 1920s by Alphonse Mingana, a Chaldean priest born near Mosul in modern-day Iraq.

He was sponsored to take collecting trips to the Middle East by Edward Cadbury, who was part of the chocolate-making dynasty.

The Koran

Muslims believe the words of the Koran were revealed to the Prophet Muhammad by the angel Gabriel over 22 years from 610
It was not until 1734 that a translation was made into English, but was littered with mistakes
Copies of the holy text were issued to British Indian soldiers fighting in the First World War
On 6 October 1930, words from the Koran were broadcast on British radio for the first time, in a BBC programme called The Sphinx

The local Muslim community has already expressed its delight at the discovery in their city and the university says the manuscript will be put on public display.

"When I saw these pages I was very moved. There were tears of joy and emotion in my eyes. And I'm sure people from all over the UK will come to Birmingham to have a glimpse of these pages," said Muhammad Afzal, chairman of Birmingham Central Mosque.

The university says the Koran fragments will go on display in the Barber Institute in Birmingham in October.

Prof Thomas says it will show people in Birmingham that they have a "treasure that is second to none".

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33436021 (there are additional media content/videos in the link)

2nd picture shows verses 1-8 of Surah Taha
1st pic shows the whole page spread with above Surah Taha verses bottom half left
Surah Maryam end above that
Surah Taha then seems to continue on the right hand page.
ie pages go from left to right.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
CalmIslam
07-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Mashallah ! This have me teary eyed [emoji22][emoji5]️

strivingobserver98
07-23-2015, 02:43 AM
Subhan Allah amazing discovery :).

The possibility of it dating back to the Prophet (saw) or Sahaba time...:ooh:

Muhammad
07-23-2015, 05:25 PM
:salamext:

An amazing discovery, subhanAllah.

Here's an interesting perspective regarding the recent events:

The dust had barely settled from Cameron’s shambolic speech when there was breaking news on 22 July 2015 that in the very same city that Cameron delivered his speech. An exciting discovery had apparently been made: the world’s oldest manuscript of parts of the Glorious Qur’ān had been found in Birmingham University Library [3].

http://www.islam21c.com/politics/plo...ry-of-a-quran/

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
crimsontide06
07-23-2015, 07:26 PM
That's pretty cool! On yahoo when I saw the headline I thought it was something like a Quran from 1900 or something & skipped the article..but this is pretty epic!

czgibson
07-26-2015, 09:56 PM
Greetings,

This is an amazing discovery of global significance. What an impressive find!

Peace

G8R
07-27-2015, 05:21 PM
Interesting find. There was an article in the times that points out that while the goat skin could be from that time, the writing may not be. Anyway and important find.

Saud al-Sarhan, the director of research at the King Faisal Center for Research and Islamic Studies in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, said he doubted that the manuscript found in Birmingham was as old as the researchers claimed, noting that its Arabic script included dots and separated chapters — features that were introduced later. He also said that dating the skin on which the text was written did not prove when it was written. Manuscript skins were sometimes washed clean and reused later, he said.

Mays
07-31-2015, 06:41 PM
I thought is was interesting..

Moshy
08-03-2015, 09:53 AM
It is an intresting discovery indeed, though several saudi scholars discredit UK's claim of it being the oldest Quran

http://m.arabianbusiness.com/saudi-s...n--600640.html

Insaanah
10-02-2015, 03:36 PM
The manuscript has now gone on display.

'Global treasure' Koran fragments on display in Birmingham

37 minutes ago

Fragments of a Koran believed to be one of the oldest ever found have gone on public display in Birmingham.

The University of Birmingham announced its discovery in July and revealed the manuscript is at least 1,370 years old.

Susan Worrall, from the university, described the manuscript as being "a global treasure".

It is on display at the university's Edgbaston campus until 25 October and tickets are free.

The pages of the Muslim holy text had remained unrecognised in the university library for almost a century, the library said.

One visitor said: "This manuscript could have been handled by the Prophet Muhammad or the best men in our religion... I am just standing next to it - it is really amazing."

"Finding out we had one of the oldest fragments of the Koran in the whole world has been fantastically exciting," said Ms Worrall, who is director of special collections.

Birmingham's Muslim community leaders have expressed their delight at the discovery.

Muhammad Afzal, chairman of Birmingham Central Mosque, said: "When I saw these pages I was very moved.

"There were tears of joy and emotion in my eyes.

"And I'm sure people from all over the UK will come to Birmingham to have a glimpse of these pages."

It was discovered by PhD researcher, Alba Fedeli, who decided to carry out a radiocarbon dating test.

The tests provided a range of dates, showing that, with a probability of more than 95%, the parchment was from between 568 and 645.

"They could well take us back to within a few years of the actual founding of Islam," said David Thomas, the university's professor of Christianity and Islam.

"According to Muslim tradition, the Prophet Muhammad received the revelations that form the Koran, the scripture of Islam, between the years 610 and 632, the year of his death," he said.

The manuscript, written in Hijazi script, an early form of written Arabic, has become one of the oldest known fragments of the Koran.

'Hushed and reverential'

At the scene: Amy Coles, BBC Midlands Today

About 2,000 tickets to see the scripts have been taken up and the university expects a lot more to be used before the exhibition ends.

The display area was relatively busy but the tickets are timed so people can get to spend time at the display. I would say there are about ten people in at a time.

The atmosphere is quite hushed and reverential - it seems to be quite an emotional experience for some people.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-34422024

See also: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34427286 (video may not work for viewers outside the UK)

and http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-34424777 (video may not work for viewers outside the UK)

format_quote Originally Posted by BBC News
The tests provided a range of dates, showing that, with a probability of more than 95%, the parchment was from between 568 and 645.
I do wander, if they've actually tested the ink. Both for the words and the vowel markings. That could paint a different picture in just that the parchment is from then, but the writing might be from a little later.

Allah knows best.

Trinity
10-03-2015, 09:36 PM
Am curious

The date ranges put the manuscript back to prior to Mohamed's revelation. Does that raise any questions? I mean 568 is 42 years before he even supposedly had a revelation.
Thoughts?

M.I.A.
10-03-2015, 10:19 PM
The dating process is not an exact science, 80 odd years of leeway.

Although there are other legitimate questions to be asked and have already been asked.

Such as the age of the actual writing and the style of writing with regards to the age.

Trinity
10-03-2015, 11:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
The dating process is not an exact science, 80 odd years of leeway.
I completely agree that AMS is not "exact" and this doesn't even take into account the possibility of contamination.

Although there are other legitimate questions to be asked and have already been asked.
Have you considered that this may predate Mohamed? The reason why I ask as there are Talmudic stories in the Quran that are not found in the Bible - only the Quran - yet we know their source. Could this be another example of an earlier writing being written into the Quran?

MidnightRose
10-04-2015, 12:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trinity
I completely agree that AMS is not "exact" and this doesn't even take into account the possibility of contamination.

Have you considered that this may predate Mohamed? The reason why I ask as there are Talmudic stories in the Quran that are not found in the Bible - only the Quran - yet we know their source. Could this be another example of an earlier writing being written into the Quran?
Hi Trinity,

Welcome to the forum! I hope I can help you understand the Islamic perspective of this issue.

It's important to appreciate that Islam is not a product of the secular, Judeo-Christian narrative. Thus, the understandings of religious texts are completely different in Islam when compared to other religions.

For example, the recent report from Birmingham, although interesting and of possible historical significance, should not have any bearing on a Muslim’s faith in the authenticity of Islam. A contextualized understanding of Islam will show that the authenticity of the Quran is not contingent on archeological findings and secular scientific – perceptually based – interpretations; it is dependent on the Islamic definition of authenticity. In the Islamic context, the Quran is of the highest degree of authenticity due to its being mutawatir - A mass-transmitted report that is transmitted from one generation to the next in such large numbers, that one could not imagine that they conspired to forge it.

To paraphrase the senior Islamic research scholar, Mufti Taqi Usmani:

Allah has safeguarded the Qur’an in an extraordinary manner. Due to this, it wouldn’t matter if all the copies of the Quran disappeared today. This Quran has been and still is in the hearts and minds of millions of people – word for word in the original Arabic – through uninterrupted chains of transmission since the time of the Prophet [PBUH]. These people are known as Hufaaz. Attempts to alter the Quran throughout history by various entities have failed precisely because of this.
(See An Approach to the Sciences of the Qur’an: Uloomul Qur’an and The Preservation of Hadith)

Indeed, the late William W. Cooper – a celebrated academic who is widely considered to be the father of management science – stated that as of his research in 2008, “…the number of Hafiz (sic) in the world is estimated to be more than 10 million”. Click here to access original source.

Hence, carbon dating of archeological findings/historical material, although useful, is not used to determine Qur’anic authenticity. To be considered authentic, the Birmingham manuscript has to meet the scrutiny of the above – as all Qur’anic manuscripts do.

Trinity
10-04-2015, 01:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by najimuddin
It's important to appreciate that Islam is not a product of the secular, Judeo-Christian narrative. Thus, the understandings of religious texts are completely different in Islam when compared to other religions.
I'm not following here... why is Islam allowed to ignore or accept potential discoveries that may or may not lend credence to or discredit its veracity?

For example, the recent report from Birmingham, although interesting and of possible historical significance, should not have any bearing on a Muslim’s faith in the authenticity of Islam. A contextualized understanding of Islam will show that the authenticity of the Quran is not contingent on archeological findings and secular scientific – perceptually based – interpretations; it is dependent on the Islamic definition of authenticity. In the Islamic context, the Quran is of the highest degree of authenticity due to its being mutawatir - A mass-transmitted report that is transmitted from one generation to the next in such large numbers, that one could not imagine that they conspired to forge it.
This issue is not the impact on the faith of the Muslim but the veracity of its core teachings and their source. If that source is corrupted, then whatever memorization - documentation - canonization would also be corrupted. Garbage in garbage type tautology. So- if this fragment predates Mohamed, along with the other Talmudic traditions contained within the Quran, shouldn't someone then deduce that regardless of what men memorized, if the initial document was wrong the rest would be also?

MidnightRose
10-04-2015, 01:34 AM
I'm not following here... why is Islam allowed to ignore or accept potential discoveries that may or may not lend credence to or discredit its veracity?

This issue is not the impact on the faith of the Muslim but the veracity of its core teachings and their source. If that source is corrupted, then whatever memorization - documentation - canonization would also be corrupted. Garbage in garbage type tautology. So- if this fragment predates Mohamed, along with the other Talmudic traditions contained within the Quran, shouldn't someone then deduce that regardless of what men memorized, if the initial document was wrong the rest would be also?
It's not surprising that you don't follow.

Although Muslims who aren't fully aware of the principles of Islam may have indicated to the contrary, there are no discoveries that Islam accepts or rejects in relation to its authenticity.

Perceptions - understandings of things - are developed through education and experience. You are using your perceptions to define what evidence and faith is.

And, many Muslims - including university professors - are also a product of the secular, Judeo-Christian narrative. Hence, you will find statements contrary to mine.

popsthebuilder
10-04-2015, 01:57 AM

The Quran is a holy peaceable Scripture. Its teachings align with unity and faith in the one God free Holy peaceable means. You coming here and attempting to discredit anything is a very negative thing. If you are of the truly faithful in the one God he will desist from your negativity immediately. We are taught to be peaceable in the face of adversity not to bring up on discrimination or any other sort of negativity towards any man and especially not towards any who are faithful to the Creator, the merciful, and all encompassing God.

popsthebuilder
10-04-2015, 09:02 AM
I want to apologize for de railing this thread. The findings of the ancient pieces of the Quran are astonishing and significant.

M.I.A.
10-04-2015, 10:22 AM

afraid my train of thought does not work that way.

...i dont follow.

sister herb
10-04-2015, 10:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by popsthebuilder
The findings of the ancient pieces of the Quran are astonishing and significant.
I agree. Its like a piece of history of all mankind, telling to us all something from the past times. I feel its like we could touch the history.

MidnightRose
10-04-2015, 11:13 AM
I want to apologize for de railing this thread. The findings of the ancient pieces of the Quran are astonishing and significant.
In my opinion, your responses fit within the context of the discussion.

Trinity
10-04-2015, 11:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
afraid my train of thought does not work that way.
...i dont follow.
All I am asking here is if you have considered the possibility that the fragment found in Birmingham could "predate" Mohamed? It "could" be older than the AMS results... the reason why I believe this might be the case is that there are several verses in the Quran that are taken directly from Talmudic traditions - stories we know that do not come from the Bible.... stories we know were written by Jews during the 3rd and fourth centuries.

Trinity
10-04-2015, 11:43 AM
Firstly I'm not technically Islamic. Secondly I read your post and was very degrading and *** me off and I'm not even a Muslim. So yeah if you claim to be a Christian perhaps you could be peaceable like Christ teaches.
I apologize if I came across as "degrading" and it "*** you off". This is a written venue where one's intent can often get muddled...

I am indeed a Christian... one that enjoys sharing my faith with others... and as I mentioned in a previous post someone's faith is a deeply held treasure. When it is challenged, discussed in a manner that you don't agree with it can cause you to become angry. I does me at times also --- but I believe by discussing your faith openly and honestly it strengthens it. This is why I come to message boards where not everyone agrees with me or I them. It is educational!!!

Insaanah
10-04-2015, 11:53 AM
The date ranges put the manuscript back to prior to Mohamed's revelation. Does that raise any questions? I mean 568 is 42 years before he even supposedly had a revelation.
Thoughts?
Thoughts are that you haven't read the article properly.
The skin/parchment would have had to have been from around the time of the revelations, or from before. Otherwise, if it didn't already exist, it could not have been written on. Simple really.

M.I.A.
10-04-2015, 12:18 PM
All I am asking here is if you have considered the possibility that the fragment found in Birmingham could "predate" Mohamed? It "could" be older than the AMS results... the reason why I believe this might be the case is that there are several verses in the Quran that are taken directly from Talmudic traditions - stories we know that do not come from the Bible.... stories we know were written by Jews during the 3rd and fourth centuries.
i literally cant follow that train of thought..

if it does predate the prophet pbuh and yet conforms to the quran we have today without change, then i have no idea what that implies.

the quran groups together the jews, christians and muslims as people of the book...

to find some comparability between them should be easy.

they are also known as the abrahamic pbuh faiths.. and he pbuh is mentioned at a stage of being between the two.. neither jew nor christian (from what i can remember)

which in itself is neither here nor there but islam at its core acknowledges all the prophets pbut.. and makes little distinction between them.

so i do not see the significance of previously told stories other than as a reference to the truth.

...while someone could imply plagiarism or worse.

i have actually written a dissertation so its not really something id nit pik on..

but then again id be missing the point, the difference between research and divine revelation make them incomparable.

....monotheism

Futuwwa
10-04-2015, 12:55 PM
If the same content appears in the Talmud and in the Quran, how exactly does that suggest the Islamic position is not true? The Islamic position is that there have been numerous prophets of God before Muhammed, so if the same content appears in the Quran as in other religious traditions, that is entirely expected.

AabiruSabeel
10-04-2015, 03:11 PM
Am curious

Thoughts?
You keep asking the question which has already been answered by several Muslims. This one article gives a comprehensive rebuttal to the claim:

https://www.facebook.com/MrAdnanRash...60690210635761

Insaanah
12-24-2015, 08:22 PM
Birmingham's ancient Koran history revealed

By Sean Coughlan Education correspondent

23 December 2015

When the University of Birmingham revealed that it had fragments from one of the world's oldest Korans, it made headlines around the world.

In terms of discoveries, it seemed as unlikely as it was remarkable.

But it raised even bigger questions about the origins of this ancient manuscript.

And there are now suggestions from the Middle East that the discovery could be even more spectacularly significant than had been initially realised.

There are claims that these could be fragments from the very first complete version of the Koran, commissioned by Abu Bakr, a companion of the Prophet Muhammad - and that it is "the most important discovery ever for the Muslim world".

This is a global jigsaw puzzle.

But some of the pieces have fallen into place.

It seems likely the fragments in Birmingham, at least 1,370 years old, were once held in Egypt's oldest mosque, the Mosque of Amr ibn al-As in Fustat.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35151643

Ineed Umar
12-25-2015, 04:52 PM
Nice! I love getting informed of ancient discoveries! But how did the old manuscript end up In britain?

Ineed Umar
12-25-2015, 04:52 PM
Ok nvm read the post above me.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!