/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Addiction Problem

Uthman95
07-22-2015, 09:39 PM
Assalamualaikum people,

I'm new on here and wanted some advice. This Ramadan i was hoping i was able to overcome my addiction, I managed to go the last 10 days of Ramadan without it. But after Eid unfortunately i went back to it. This addiction affects my health and also my mind. I felt that fasting was the only way out of it as i feel like i am in constant obedience to God. But the reality is that i did not develop Taqwa during this month and i need some advice on how to have in you're mind the Fear of God, so that i can live a life without this dependence and the despair it brings after.
Thank You, Kind Regards

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BeTheChange
07-22-2015, 11:17 PM
Walaikumasalaam,

It's upsetting to read the month of Ramadan didn't help you. You have the intention and desire to change and this is the first step. Alhamdulilah you've acknowledged your addiction and now all you need is an action in place and good friends to support you and of course, lots of dua. Don't worry, if you try and fail get back up and start again and when you start again in sha Allah, you will be stronger than before.

Depending on the nature and type of addiction you may well need professional support. I've noticed you live in the UK Alhamdulilah, so there's lots of support groups out there who will help you. Just google the addiction and you'll come across services in your area.

I recently enrolled on a health course and i found it very interesting.

Let me share an amazing tip with you and in sha Allah, maybe it will help you?

Not just with your addiction but generally, in life.

The tutor introduced us to a S.M.A.R.T goal.

Am not sure if you have come across this acronym but it does help you by adopting a practical approach.

S - Specific

M - Measurable

A - Attainable

R - Realistic

T - Time-bound

So the first thing you need to do is give yourself a realistic specific goal.

For example, if your addiction is smoking. Observe your behaviour and keep a diary. Every time you smoke make a tally of how many cigarettes you smoke. Then try and give up 1 a day. So if you smoke 5 a day try and smoke 4 a day and in sha Allah, reduce the amount of cigarettes this way.

It all depends on how much determination and inner strength you have.

Familiarise yourself with the lives of our prophets peace and blessings upon them all, and use their stories of determination, perseverance and courage to help you.

And finally, distract your mind. At first you may need to force your mind to think about something else and in sha Allah, in time the addiction won't be as strong as it is. The temptation will still be there but you will be in control of your addiction, if you choose this path.

Type in your addiction on this Islamic website if you want further advice. >> http://islamqa.info/en

If you can't find your answer you can also contact the scholars on the above website in sha Allah.

Either it's shaytaan who wins or you. You choose.

May Allah swt help you overcome your addiction and give you peace Ameen.

Uthman95
07-23-2015, 12:57 AM
Hi, Thanks for the advice, very beneficial. I have tried a few things such as you mentioned supports groups but i don't feel i have benefited from them. The only way i feel that i will overcome my problem so that i will never commit this sin again is through Islam and worship, as i have mentioned that the longest time I have gone without it was this Ramadan. To summarize, the more my faith increases the less likely i will disobey Allah. That is why i asked how do i develop Taqwa or God consciousness? And also do you have any specific stories of our Prophets peace and blessings be upon them all, that i can have a read on to increase my determination and perseverance, as i currently lack in these important qualities.
Thanks Again.
بارك الله فيكم

popsthebuilder
07-23-2015, 08:12 AM
You could try and be completely truthfully with yourself on every level. This will bring you closer to God and help you get your motives in perspective. Evil is rooted in us all. It can manipulate your very core, and affect your judgment through false justification. Isolating these negative thought or feelings is paramount to unity and harmony with good existence. Hope that was some help. I wish you and yours the very best. Through true Faith you will prevail.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Eric H
07-23-2015, 09:04 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Uthman95; and welcome to the forum,

This Ramadan i was hoping i was able to overcome my addiction, I managed to go the last 10 days of Ramadan without it.
Now Ramadan is over, are there any extra things you could volunteer for at your mosque, helping others, is often a way of helping yourself and taking your mind of your own problems.
Sometimes horrible things happen, and people take to an addiction to try and blot out the memories. Being able to forgive someone, or to forgive yourself can be a way of coming to terms with the past, and letting go of anger.
Sometimes a harmful addiction is a way we punish our self, if we are not happy.

Only you know the answers, you do not have to tell us the truth of the problem, but if you are to help yourself, you have to be truthful to yourself. Pray for guidance and help.

In the spirit of trusting in Allah,

Eric

umairlooms
07-30-2015, 10:55 AM
such problems, that require more than just will power are something for which I always turn to dua for.
dua and patience, dua and patience

popsthebuilder
09-15-2015, 04:25 AM
Would someone please explain the consept of dua to me? Thank you in advance.

umairlooms
09-18-2015, 01:58 PM
dua is invocation, asking and begging God for help, support, a want, wish etc

popsthebuilder
09-18-2015, 04:10 PM
So dua is personal sincere, humble heart felt prayer to God?

BeTheChange
09-18-2015, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by popsthebuilder
So dua is personal sincere, humble heart felt prayer to God?
Yes in essence but you can also make dua in a public setting.

As Muslims we have duas/supplication for nearly everything - when we enter the toilet to protect ourselves from unseen spirits, when we enter our homes, when we look at ourselves in the mirror, when we are happy, when we are sad, when we are scared, when we experience great distress and so on.

sister herb
09-18-2015, 09:31 PM
Plus we can make dua for other people - when they need help to themselves or to others. You can read kind of requests from here, the threads which start like "Please make dua to me...".

umairlooms
09-20-2015, 08:24 AM
Dua is actually worship. It means you declare that God is the ultimate strength, power

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!