PDA

View Full Version : Can The Muslim Ummah Unite Politically and create a Pan Islamic state?



LusoHijabi
08-07-2015, 10:30 PM
Salaam, Alot of you may disagree with what I'm suggesting but this is only a suggestion for a potential pan Islamic state that I recently thought of so forgive any errors.

I been thinking about this recently. I always found it interesting the idea that the muslim world could unite politically and potentially create a Federal United States of Muslims (Sorry fot the bad name) or another Khilafah.

Personally I sympathise with the idea of a United States of Islam (Pan Islamic Union) however I don't think it is feasible at the moment for a variety of reasons.

1. Muslims are very much divided among national, ethnic and secterian lines. We identify much more with our narrower identity than our broader Islamic identity.

2. Many Muslim countries are economically undeveloped and are not growing by much.

3. Many Muslims (especially women) do not recieve proper education whether religious or secular education

4. Lack of democracy, rule of law, human rights, thanks to the many dictators and authoritarian leaders.

5. Too many corrupt leaders

6. Existence of extremist Takfiri groups like Daesh + Al-Qaeda who have a secterian agenda that forments disunity, commit gross violence on muslims and destroying Islamic civilisation

In order to make this Pan Islamic Union possible those failings have to be addressed. Which means firstly constructing a common Islamic identity irrespective of race, ethnicity, culture and nationality and incorporates other differences between Muslims such as the Sunni-Shia divide and also is inclusive of the spectrum of muslims from Pious, Practicing muslims to Cultural and Nominal muslims who identify and are proud of their Islamic heritage.

Also muslim countries need to modernise in certain respects. Alot of us criticise the West for its failings and wrongs (rightly so) but there are good things from the west that the muslim world should learn from. For example education, muslims need to be better educated as nearly half of all muslims are illiterate. Maths and Science are especially critical in order to produce more engineers, scientists, mathmeticians and doctors who will advance the muslim world through scientific innovation. In addition Muslims also need religious education to learn about Islam and Poilitical Islam to be improved.

Secondly, the encouragment of economic growth and economic development which will make muslim countries less dependant on other countries for survival however it has to benefit ordinary people aswell and bring the poor out of poverty not just enrich corrupt leaders.

Thirdly, women's rights need to improve. End the rampant domestic violence, honour killings,rape and pointless discrimination that muslim women face. It will not be possible for the muslim ummah to unite politically if women are not part of it.

Fourthly, Start up a grassroots movement that is democratic and Islamic. Start a movement amongst muslims that calls for a union of muslim countires but is in favour of democracy and rule of law but has an Islamic character to it. In other words an Islamic democratic movement.

The Union of Muslim Countries could be like the European Union, and can be formed in phases and stages via discussions, consensus, coordination through economic and technologic collaboration similar to the EU with a single monetary unit, joint aerospace and defense projects, petrochemical technology development, regional civil aviation network and a gradual agreement to democratic values. The current national borders, nation governments etc. will be intact, but there will also be a federal government and parliament for the whole UMC. The people from one part of the federation, for instance a citizen of Nigeria would be able to go to Bangladesh or Malaysia without the need for a passport or other travel documents, just like within the EU. An investor from Kuwait will be able to start a business enterprise in Senegal or Pakistan as easily as he would in Kuwait. An Indonesian, Pakistani farmer will send his harvest to be sold to Moroccans and Yemenis without much hassle or import duties he presently has to pay. People within the UMC will be able to move and settle anywhere within the UMC union’s borders as if in the same country. The movement of people and goods within the union will have as much freedom as available in a country now. All people irrespective of gender, religion, nationality, caste, colour or language currently living within the UMC border will belong and be citizens of the UMC. They’ll have all the rights they enjoy now. There’s no need for Muslims living outside of the UMC federation to come and live in a UMC country, but of course if anyone wants they’ll be able to settle and obtain citizenship of any of the UMC countries be a citizen of UMC.

It’s worth remembering 60 years ago a European Union (EU) was a dream of a few enlightened people. But today it is a reality. And also Muslim countries have an advantage European nations didn’t have back then. Similar proposals like these have been voiced before. That’s good. But to bear fruits, these proposal and ideas needs to reach as many people as possible.

I would want this state to be a representative democracy where muslims (male & female) can vote for their parliamentary representatives. There would political parties who embrace Political Islam but may have differing views so you have Islamic parties who have a conservative stance and Islamic parties with a more "liberal" bent, even Islamic Socialists and Islamic Libertarians and everything in between.

The UMC will be a safe haven for muslims can practice their faith freely and fully where they don't experience persecution, secterian violence, dictatorship and secular fundamentalism. They can experience the fruits of freedom, justice and development. Also non muslim citizens should also be free. to practice their faith and not facepersecution and discrimination plus the rule of law (sharia) will protect them. The UMC will not be hostile towards its neighbours and will seek peace, trade and prosperity with them but because UMC will be a very powerful political and economic force it means that if countries like Burma and China persecute muslims brutally it can impose economic sanctions to change the behavior of those respective states.

I know this sounds utopian but I hope you at least found it interesting eventhough you may have disagreements.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abz2000
08-08-2015, 07:12 AM
democracy which runs within the laws of Allah is wonderful, similar concepts have been practiced in the past - Uthman (ra) was very democratic, as long as decisions didn't go outside the quran and sunnah.

regarding the accomodation of kafirs without conflict, it's only possible if you have separate reservations for them.

the unity amongst Muslims is easier however since it's easier to come to mutual conclusions without violating Allah's law and reaching deadlocks.

the influence of fake paper and digital money would have to be superceded by actual metals in order to prevent the manipulations and exploitations curremtly taking place with the dollar.
this would also be a uniting factor.
Reply

umairlooms
08-08-2015, 08:15 AM
I believe the best example is that of the EU and the likes. Economic blocks throughout the world are excellent examples. These can be stepping stones to massive and even pan islamic Economically integrated block, with free trade and movement of ideas, capital and people.
It is surely possible
Reply

LusoHijabi
08-08-2015, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by umairlooms
I believe the best example is that of the EU and the likes. Economic blocks throughout the world are excellent examples. These can be stepping stones to massive and even pan islamic Economically integrated block, with free trade and movement of ideas, capital and people.
It is surely possible
I agree but it should taken in steps so firstly individual muslim countries need to experience economic growth and economic development then there can be regional economic blocks like A Middle Eastern Union, North African Union, Central Asian Union, then we can intergrate these unions into a pan Islamic bloc which would be an economic superpower.

For countries like China, Burma, Cental African Republic and Sri Lanka where muslims are persecuted the pan Islamic bloc would impose economic sanctions which would pretty much wreck their economies and would change their attitudes towards muslims.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
ardianto
08-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Assalamualaikum

What's your opinion about OIC (Organisation of Islamic Cooperation)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organi...ic_Cooperation
Reply

LusoHijabi
08-08-2015, 04:12 PM
They don't really do much. There's no economic intergration let alone political plus alot of the governments are very oppressive.
Reply

Snel
08-09-2015, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by LusoHijabi
Salaam, ....
You have started from the same premise as the anti-islamic venom that is spouted by all the islamophobes worldwide. Since your premise is incorrect, your ideas are completely uninteresting. And consequently, you are nothing but a parrot for the islamophobes. Why would a muslim, as you claim you are, have such major self-despise? This is truly beyond me.
Reply

LusoHijabi
08-09-2015, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Snel
You have started from the same premise as the anti-islamic venom that is spouted by all the islamophobes worldwide. Since your premise is incorrect, your ideas are completely uninteresting. And consequently, you are nothing but a parrot for the islamophobes. Why would a muslim, as you claim you are, have such major self-despise? This is truly beyond me.
How is what I said Islamophobic?
Reply

Snel
08-09-2015, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by LusoHijabi
How is what I said Islamophobic?
I said your premise of what Islam and muslims are is the same as the islamophobe's ideas/fantasies. It's like you got lectured by them, and now you come here to offer solutions. Solutions which I have already stated are uninteresting because your premise is incorrect. Because you've stated your premise, your post is nothing different from any islamophobic hate-speech.

Islamophobes are not just individuals like Robert Spencer, who teach that Islam is outright bad. But they are also the reformists, who start from the haters premise that what muslims are practicing is outright bad, but he/she insists on saying that this is not real Islam. According to them, the real Islam is their new reformed goo of a religion that they fantasize about. Of course, both start from the wrong premise of what Islam is and how muslims are, and they do so intentionally. Because if they would have dealt with reality, none of their little ideas of reformed Islam would have had any value.
They wish that through their reformed ideas of Islam that muslims would be more like them, that's the ultimate goal. But it's all in vain, because the truth prevails in the end and the lies are always doomed to vanish.
Reply

Muhaba
08-11-2015, 10:50 PM
Beautiful. How would the Muslims make this pan-islamic union when their hearts are divided? If the Muslims reformed and properly held onto Islam, then it's possible that their hearts would get attached and they would each not be drifting alone. I wonder how many muslim countries feel that uniting is good for them but still don't do it? And what hinders them from uniting?
Reply

Muhaba
08-11-2015, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Assalamualaikum

What's your opinion about OIC (Organisation of Islamic Cooperation)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organi...ic_Cooperation
I think OIC is an embarrassment and so is the arab union, gcc etc. They are a long way off from a united islamic front.
Reply

umairlooms
08-12-2015, 10:13 AM
you know what...we go for the Macro things and not the micro

you become good muslims and a brotherhood will be created itself. perhaps we should simply try to ensure we are all good muslims

In evitably, we will become a global brotherhood in ideaology (which we ARE NOT) and then eventually politically as well
Reply

najimuddin
08-13-2015, 08:14 AM
Our perceptions of Islam have been shaped by various non-Muslim influences. These influences have infiltrated - over time and by various means - every "Muslim" country in the world. Unfortunately, the messages learned from and through these influences are now fully rooted in the hearts and minds of Muslims around the world. This includes major educational institutions and countries. We have good intentions, but we look for solutions in the wrong places. The questions we ask are based on the educational and social systems that we are a product of. Due to this, it is highly likely that my understanding - gained from traditional scholars - will not seem ideal.

The fact of the matter is that most Muslims aren't obeying the commands of Allah. The masjids are empty. Salah isn't optional. Allah isn't asking us to pray. It's an explicit obligation. Unfortunately, many Muslims equate praying with being "pious". This is just a simple example.

We are worried about Muslim unity. This understanding of unity is alien to Islam. Our jobs as Muslims is to make sure we and those we are responsible for are following the commands of Allah. This is done through learning and properly following the ways of the Prophet (PBUH). By doing so, people will automatically and wholeheartedly accept Islam. That says a lot about our current state of affairs.

Allah alone gives success. How do we expect Allah to be happy with us when we're blatantly disobeying him?
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!