/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic Revival in Bangladesh?

LusoHijabi
08-24-2015, 08:35 PM
I wanna ask is it true that Islam is on the rise in Bangladesh and people are becoming more observant and practicing muslims.

and I know the Sari is traditional is Bangladesh and South Asia generally but is it true more women are ditching the sari and wearing hijab, abaya and niqab. When I see pics from Bangladesh I notice this to be the case.

Hopefully some Bangladeshis or people knowledgable of Bangladesh might answer this. I'm very curious about this.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sak33b
08-25-2015, 01:22 PM
Bangladesh has over 90% muslim population. It has always embraced islam ever since the 7th century. Some experts say evidence of ruins of mosques has been found and dated to before the 7th century. Dhaka is known as the city of mosques. The only problem is that the culture and tradition which was brought over by India (like the saree), Afghanistan(The poems and songs), Arabia (smoking of hookah) Indonesia (Longhi and fishing) has created a culture clash. However most bengalis dont forget their foundation which is their deen. People think that ever since the partition from Pakistan they have ditched their religion to get close to India. This is not the case. I wouldn't believe the propaganda and online news.....Someone told me that the Adthan is banned in Dhaka....which is complete rubbish. When i went to Dhaka at prayer time you hear the echoes from every mosque.

LusoHijabi
08-25-2015, 01:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sak33b
Bangladesh has over 90% muslim population. It has always embraced islam ever since the 7th century. Some experts say evidence of ruins of mosques has been found and dated to before the 7th century. Dhaka is known as the city of mosques. The only problem is that the culture and tradition which was brought over by India (like the saree), Afghanistan(The poems and songs), Arabia (smoking of hookah) Indonesia (Longhi and fishing) has created a culture clash. However most bengalis dont forget their foundation which is their deen. People think that ever since the partition from Pakistan they have ditched their religion to get close to India. This is not the case. I wouldn't believe the propaganda and online news.....Someone told me that the Adthan is banned in Dhaka....which is complete rubbish. When i went to Dhaka at prayer time you hear the echoes from every mosque.
Thanks for your reply, appreciate it

Is it true that more Bangladeshi women are wearing hijab, abaya and Niqabs instead of the Sari?

Abz2000
08-25-2015, 01:51 PM
i have observed it to be the case that people are taking more interest in Islam,
it seems to have come about through a number of issues which include but are not limited to:
the global awakening which comes as part and parcel with the age of information - zahr al qalam.
the persecution of and false accusations against renowned Muslim scholars to the extent that people became disillusioned by the official and corporate news media.
the concern of parents over the moral future of children, especially seeing that the debaucheries being promoted by government and corporate controlled media were too much to stomach (they took almost a century to corrupt the minds of those in the west, but tried to "crash course" these people in a couple of decades - leaving the people repulsed.
girls in hijab get more respect, and the ones trying to monkey the west in the haram dress aspect are perceived as wh0rish even by the boys who chase after them lol.
the democracy claims came crashing down at the last election despite the last few decades having been spent in constructing Godless democracy as a superior way of life.
plus more.

here's a funny one where the dude from the secularist party couldn't tell the difference between eid al adha, janazah, and eid al fitr

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
strivingobserver98
08-31-2015, 12:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by LusoHijabi
Thanks for your reply, appreciate it

Is it true that more Bangladeshi women are wearing hijab, abaya and Niqabs instead of the Sari?
I just came back from Bangladesh few days ago. Yes your right so many people are now wearing full abaya with niqab alhamdulilah. There are also loads of practicing brothers on the streets with beard and cap.

It kind of depends on what area you visit in BD. Some areas have lot of religious people and some don't.

Next to where I stayed there was another masjid being built. There is a loud open call to Adhan during the prayer times and regular lectures. I couldn't believe how many people were at congregation prayers in masjid. At magrib time I saw everyone rushing to the masjid to pray with the imam. It's so packed that I had to go on the 3rd floor. Masha Allah lot of people there are consistent with 5 daily salahs.

Please keep BD in your duas. At the moment there are lot of problems and it's politically corrupt. I have lot of hope that in the future it will be fixed up :ia:.

Abz2000
08-31-2015, 08:14 AM
here's an anti-corruption pro Islamic rally from 2012

a group of people came from every area under their own banner.

Muslim Woman
08-31-2015, 08:20 AM
:sl:

it's true that many women now wear Abaya , hijab . Saree was the only dress for married , middle aged , old ladies in the past . But they many of them wear Salwar , kamiz .

Earlier only poor , middle class women and old women from rich families after Hajj wore Burka but now many young educated girls from rich society started wearing it , Alhamdulillah .

Young people specially on Friday noon go to mosques , they regularly attend Islamic lectures , many TV channels broadcast Adhan , Islamic programmes etc etc - these are very positive signs .

But sadly many atheists bloggers are here . They regularly submit nasty posts against Allah , Prophet Muhammed pubh . It has become a new trend in Bangladesh . If u say / write against Islam , you are modern , believe in freedom of speech . If u protest , u will be called fundamentalists by some print , electronic media.

Two trends are becoming stronger day by day . Insha Allah , slaves of Allah will win over atheists and anti Islamic forces . Ameen.

Abz2000
08-31-2015, 08:48 AM
heres's the one from dhaka:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=IrsHdnIfzeg

LusoHijabi
08-31-2015, 06:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by فرحان
I just came back from Bangladesh few days ago. Yes your right so many people are now wearing full abaya with niqab alhamdulilah. There are also loads of practicing brothers on the streets with beard and cap.

It kind of depends on what area you visit in BD. Some areas have lot of religious people and some don't.

Next to where I stayed there was another masjid being built. There is a loud open call to Adhan during the prayer times and regular lectures. I couldn't believe how many people were at congregation prayers in masjid. At magrib time I saw everyone rushing to the masjid to pray with the imam. It's so packed that I had to go on the 3rd floor. Masha Allah lot of people there are consistent with 5 daily salahs.

Please keep BD in your duas. At the moment there are lot of problems and it's politically corrupt. I have lot of hope that in the future it will be fixed up :ia:.
Do you see this trend as continuing and growing and is becoming mainstream in the population in that the "Secular Bangladesh" is withering away?

BlueOwl358
09-02-2015, 12:47 PM
This trend of Islamic revivalism really starts to be at the least, being seen in the world. Along with anti-Islamism, but I suppose the large numbers of current world populations really make it hard to compare the presence and role of ideas. It seems there are large numbers of supporters for any idea, but it is great to see Islam coming to a better stage of acceptance. You can notice it. Just like different bubbles or spheres popping up, but yet to be connected in a more direct and physical manner or connection. Pretty intriguing.

Celebrimbor
10-27-2015, 12:53 PM
Well then, I guess I'm the only one who thinks that they are no where near improving. If anything, they are going far away from Islam.

Scimitar
10-27-2015, 05:04 PM
roui fish, nom nom... loving it.

Is it native to Bangladesh?

Scimi

Scimitar
10-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Fish are halal - unless the claim they are not Muslims :D

Scimi

Celebrimbor
10-28-2015, 08:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by najimuddin
My father is from the Sylhet area in Bangladesh. For the past 20 years, I have been living in an area of the USA where there is a very large concentration of Bangladeshis in a very small geographical area. While I have heard of many areas like this in the UK, this is not anywhere near what a typical city/town/place is like in the USA. Click on the link to check it out: http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...a#.Vi-MpFWrTct

Although I am neither, people in the community see me as either a mesaab/shaykh or member of the Tablighi Jamaat. Try to figure out why.

In 2001, I was one of the founding directors of the masjid you see in the beginning of the video. Being a member of the community, I have seen, heard, and met many Bangladeshi and Indian Islamic scholars that have visited our masaajid while on their tours of the USA (i.e. Maulana Asad Madani (RA), Maulana Arshad Madani, Maulana Tafazzul Haq, Maulana Zubair Ahmad Ansari, Maulana Junaid Al-Habib, etc.). One of my observations in relation to this is that none of their advice has ever been implemented on a macro level in our community, including the related masaajid. Another observation in relation to the aforementioned is that efforts to correct this are met with staunch opposition in relation to political and cultural expediencies. The situation is so bad here none of the young Bangladeshi Ulama who have recently graduated from places such as South Africa and England are able to get a foothold in the community. They always wind up going to either Pakistani or Indian communities in other cities and states.

In relation to this, I have seen and heard many people in the community who criticize others for not implementing the correct Islamic solution. They believe that our pious predecessors and contemporary Ulama failed in the proper understanding and implementation of Islam. Aside from fiery talks, I have never experienced any of these people successfully implementing any type of solution themselves. The problems are still there. We need to work together.

There is a lot of work that needs to be done. In need of duas.

Please note: This is not an indictment of Bangladeshi Muslims, Bangladeshis in general, or anything about Bangladesh. It is just an observation of community dynamics in the area I live in based on experience.
Alright good to know. My father as well. And I've got few cousins who live in Detroit and some of them are part of some evil stuff going on. They told how corrupted the Bengali teenagers are over there and so on. And I agree its not only Bangladeshis who are like that but human in general but our focus is on Bangladesh because of this thread. So I'm still sure that there is no Islamic revival anywhere unless I'm looking at the wrong place lol.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!