/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Interested in Islam

alicegrace
09-04-2015, 07:48 PM
Salam (I think that is how you say hello?)

I am not a Muslim, I am more of an athiest than any religion. I have an interest in Islam as a religion and culture. I would love to learn more and I would be interested in exploring the religion and lifestyle.

I would love to know anything you can tell me and I can't wait to hear some of what is to be said.

From the cultural setting, would it be ok for me to try wearing Islamic Clothing? Not full time, unless i really enjoy wearing them, but enough to get an idea of what it is like for muslim women.

From the cultral and religious setting, what is it like for a girl who follows Islam? I am interested in the whole picture of their lives and the way they live their lives.

Thanks in advance for the responces.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MuslimInshallah
09-05-2015, 04:00 AM
Salaam to you too, AliceGrace,

Welcome to this Forum! (smile) Salaam means "peace", and we use it as a short form of assalaamu alaikum, which means may you know/have/be at peace.

(smile) Feel free to try whatever clothing you feel is appropriate. (smile) There is no one way of dressing, though, you know. Muslims aim for modesty, but how exactly we achieve this, and how exactly we interpret this… varies.

(smile) And as for a picture of a Muslim woman's life… (laugh) could you give a picture of a non-Muslim woman's life?! Really, everyone has their own experiences and realities, don't they? (smile) But I understand you; you want to better understand your fellow humans. And this is a very beautiful thing. (smile) Indeed, it is part of Islam, I would say.

So please, feel free to explore Islam, both on this site, and elsewhere. (smile) Though the best introduction, I think, is to read the Qur'an. I'd recommend Yahya Emerick's translation (extended study guide with footnotes). It's easy to read, and it really gets you into the feel of the people and the time of Revelation.

May God, the Sublime, Lift you towards the peace that comes from getting closer to Him.

Iceee
09-05-2015, 05:23 AM
Hello / Peace Be Upon You Sister.

Firstly, Welcome to our forums.
:welcome:

format_quote Originally Posted by alicegrace
A long read of the word, Salaam and it's importance: http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ghlight=salaam

From the cultural setting, would it be ok for me to try wearing Islamic Clothing? Not full time, unless i really enjoy wearing them, but enough to get an idea of what it is like for muslim women.
Of course. Try wearing a hijab, see how you like it. The clothing is mostly cultural and will probably different from country to country but yeah, try them out.

From the cultral and religious setting, what is it like for a girl who follows Islam? I am interested in the whole picture of their lives and the way they live their lives.
A female member who regularly wears hijab on this forum will gladly help you and tell you their story in due time, Inshallah. Please listen to their stories, a lot of people will oppress women who wear hijab and some people will pretend to be a girl to say how Islam made then feel down and wearing a headscarf was bad... Don't listen to them as they have strayed away from Islam. Listen to the true strong willed woman of Islam and the significance of the hijab and covering the body.

greenhill
09-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Do browse through the threads. There have been similar questions in the past.

Wishing you a great stay and discovery.

:peace:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Insaanah
09-05-2015, 01:06 PM
Welcome to the forum alicegrace (lovely name by the way).

The Islamic greeting is almost akin to a form of prayer and good wishes for the person you are greeting. The short form, is assalaamu alaikum (peace be on you). The longer form is assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh (may peace and Allah's mercy and His blessings be on you). As a non-Muslim, you would be fine to stick with the word salaam (which means peace) - it's shorter and easier! And while it is a popular belief that the word Islam means peace, it actually means to submit or to surrender oneself, freely and willingly, to the will and authority and guidance of God (which in itself can lead to peace). The word Islam is derived from the same root as the word meaning peace however, as it has the same root letters s, l and m.

I am more of an athiest than any religion. I have an interest in Islam as a religion and culture. I would love to learn more and I would be interested in exploring the religion and lifestyle.

I would love to know anything you can tell me and I can't wait to hear some of what is to be said.
I am not sure how much you know about the core Islamic beliefs, so I hope you don't mind if I make an attempt to summarise them very briefly here.

If you came across a table and chair in the middle of a forest, you would know that someone had come along, sawn the right sized pieces of wood off the trees, shaped them, joined them together etc to make the table and chair in front of you. I'm sure you wouldn't conclude that the right sized pieces had sawn themselves off the trees and joined themselves together to make a table and chairs.

So we believe, that this intricate universe, has an all-Powerful Creator, and we don't believe that the universe came about by coincidence or by chance or by some random happening.

That Creator, periodically sent human messengers to mankind, to guide mankind as to how they should live, to be role-models, give good news, to warn mankind against wrong doing, and to tell them that they'll be brought to account on judgement day, and to show people how they should worship God the Creator, who is the Only One deserving of all worship, and has no associates in His Exclusive Divinity.

Islam is a culmination of that same ultimate universal truth which God revealed to all prophets and messengers, including Noah, Abraham, Jesus and Moses, peace be on them. Prophet Muhammad peace and blessings be on him, is the last messenger of God, and a book called the Qur'an was revealed to him. That book is 100% God's word, so it supersedes, continues, confirms, and is a culimination of, the truth that was in the earlier scriptures. Prophet Muhammad peace and blessings be on him, is the messenger who must now be followed, the Qur'an being the book that must be followed.

You'll notice that Islam is not named after a specific person (like Christianity, Buddhism), nor after a certain race or place (like Judaism, Hinduism), but is named by God Himself, the meaning loosely translating as 'submission to God', which is what every Prophet and their righteous followers did, from amongst all times, places and peoples. That in itself is one fraction of the evidence that it was the way of all the Prophets from the beginning. They all preached the same message, not different messages. The essence of Islam is what always was, and has always been, the true and natural religion; the original and only message.

As a brief foundation, we believe in, submit to, and worship, the One True God and Lord, the Creator, who has no sons, no associates in His Exclusive Divinity whatsoever, and obey the guidance of the prophets and messengers He sent, the last of whom is Muhammad (peace and blessings be on him). Since the scripture given to him is the only one preserved, and the Prophet's example is preserved, we follow him and the book given to him by God. We believe that mankind will be brought to account on Judgement day.

Regarding Islamic clothing, of course you are most welcome try it. Muslim men and women must dress modestly. Hijaab literally means 'to cover' and is generally used to refer to the covering a Muslim woman (Muslimah) adopts out of modesty when in public. It is one aspect out of a wider context of purity of thought and action for both men and women. This includes lowering one's gaze, avoiding free-mixing with the opposite gender, behaving in a proper manner in necessary interactions with the opposite gender, etc. Due to differences in temperament and nature between men and women, a greater degree of privacy is required for women. Hijaab protects a Muslimah - it is not a sign of authority of man over woman, nor of subjugation or oppression. A Muslimah's standards of modesty come from God, not from man, nor from society at large. And there is great inner peace that comes from that, when accompanied by those beliefs.

Please feel free to ask for further clarifications, or any other questions you may have.

Peace.

crimsontide06
09-05-2015, 04:23 PM
pdf booklet http://mccmd.org/wp-content/uploads/...1/islam-is.pdf

Good speaker, Yasmin Mogahed https://www.youtube.com/user/YasminMogahedOnline/videos

Hijab day; Yasmin Mogahed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zghCFwqBoyg

http://quran.com/

A couple of other good speakers; Nouman Ali Khan, Abdul Nasir Jangda, Omar Suleiman.

alicegrace
09-10-2015, 07:21 PM
Thank you for the replies, I have a lot of studying to do to learn a little but I hope I will get there and enjoy being there.

Aaqib
09-10-2015, 09:03 PM
Welcome to the forums!

peaceandlove
09-12-2015, 01:29 PM
:sl:

May Allah guide you , me and all of us.

Just want to say something about culture, i persoanlly did not get what do you mean by islamic culture. Inface islam is for all the world not specific part and culture mostly represent specific parts. Islam forbids few things and if that present in your culture you shoud avoid that other.

Let say islam says women to cover while going out, now its upto you how you cover, if you see Afghanis style is different thier women put some shuttle style burqas, Pakistani style is different some women wear burgas some simply do chadars, i just want to say all of these are different culture but common is that the basis purpose of all is to cover.

So donot get confused on culture, islam can be adopted in any society.

So you can live your life easily, Islam is very easy to follow, but remeber if there is some donots in Islam that present in your culture around they donot obey those wrong thing. the rest you can easily follow islam. Better if you try to take thigns from muslims near your area as those will be more easy for you to follow

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!