/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The missing dollar

Islanddeen
09-06-2015, 07:22 AM
Three gentleman who were traveling decided to stay at a hotel. The clerk informed them that the room would cost $30 per night for the three of them, so each of the men paid the clerk $10, and they were shown to their room.

An hour later, the hotel clerk discovered that the room was only $25 per night for the three men, so he gave $5 to the bell hop to deliver back to the men in their room.

On his way to the room, the bell hop thought "Well, I can give each of the men one dollar back, tell them the room was only $27 per night, and keep $2 for myself."

The bell hop gave $1 back to each of the men, which means they only paid $27 for the room. The bell hop kept $2, for a total of $29.

Where did the missing dollar go to make the total $30?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abz2000
09-06-2015, 09:53 AM
he gave it to Islamic Relief.

Eric H
09-06-2015, 12:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islanddeen

The bell hop gave $1 back to each of the men, which means they only paid $27 for the room. The bell hop kept $2, for a total of $29.

I think you may find, if our bell hop kept $2, that would mean they paid $28 for the room and not $27, however, he could now give the two dollars to Islamic relief.

But if the bell hop was a Muslim, then he would have given the whole five dollars back to their rightful owner.

Insaanah
09-06-2015, 12:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islanddeen
Three gentleman who were traveling decided to stay at a hotel. The clerk informed them that the room would cost $30 per night for the three of them, so each of the men paid the clerk $10, and they were shown to their room.

An hour later, the hotel clerk discovered that the room was only $25 per night for the three men, so he gave $5 to the bell hop to deliver back to the men in their room.

On his way to the room, the bell hop thought "Well, I can give each of the men one dollar back, tell them the room was only $27 per night, and keep $2 for myself."

There isn't actually a missing dollar.

$30 (originally paid) - $3 (refunded) = $27. $27 - $2 (in bell hop's pocket) = $25.

i.e. $25 + $3 refunded + $2 in bell-hops' pocket = $30.

Seems to all add up.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
09-06-2015, 04:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
But if the bell hop was a Muslim, then he would have given the whole five dollars back to their rightful owner.
Not only in Islam, I think, but in every religion, taking other people's right without permission is strictly prohibited. If the bellhop was honest, he would give back the whole five dollar to the owner. And if then the owner give it to him, ..... Alhamdulillah.

Abz2000
09-06-2015, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Not only in Islam, I think, but in every religion, taking other people's right without permission is strictly prohibited. If the bellhop was honest, he would give back the whole five dollar to the owner. And if then the owner give it to him, ..... Alhamdulillah.
unless his religion is Atheist Capitalism, he might check to see it's september and then punch his sub-bellhop in the nose and blame the tenants and demand their arrest, or make some wild claim like wmd in the room and then blow it up in the name of peace.

Scimitar
09-06-2015, 05:45 PM
so who has my missing dollar then? :D

Scimi

sister herb
09-06-2015, 06:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar

Scimi
The same guy took it who ate this one "extra" piece of chocolate:

No, it wasn´t me. :playing:

ardianto
09-06-2015, 09:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar

Scimi
Okay, okay, that's me. I have exchanged your one dollar into Indonesian Rupiah, and I got IDR 14,147

Indeed, Indonesian Rupiah has too many digits. :heated:

sister herb
09-06-2015, 09:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Okay, okay, that's me. I have exchanged your one dollar into Indonesian Rupiah, and I got IDR 14,147

Indeed, Indonesian Rupiah has too many digits. :heated:
I suggest that we will share this missing money and buy more chocolate. :p

Scimitar
09-07-2015, 01:28 AM
I want a bar of chocolate now... trade for my dollar? :D

Scimi

Abz2000
09-07-2015, 04:03 AM
no offence bro but your dollar's worthless, maybe ask putin if he'll have it.

Scimitar
09-07-2015, 06:31 AM
Ah yes.... that XD.... I guess it devalued to the missing piece of chocolate... thing is, I'm the one who ate that missing piece... I guess I can take up origami eh?

:D

Scimi

Scimitar
09-07-2015, 06:54 PM

See? :D

Scimi

sister herb
09-07-2015, 07:22 PM
You did this from that missing dollar? ^o) Hmm... I think that it would have been a better idea if we just had bought more chocolate.

I afraid that this thread is going the toilet humor - literally.

Scimitar
09-07-2015, 10:43 PM
blame Abz, he said I can't buy chocoloate with a dollar :D

so I decided to flush it down the toilet instead... but then thought, why not just make a toilet out of it ??? coz that would be funny :D

Scimi

Futuwwa
09-10-2015, 11:43 AM
Never before have I seen a posting of this puzzle become so ideological.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!