/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Open doors?

MarkL
09-18-2015, 03:53 PM
Hello,

I had a question I was hoping someone here could answer. I live in a large open apartment building with many Muslim families from Bangladesh. I have wondered ever since they moved in why they need to keep their doors open most of the day and night? From about 7 am to after 11 pm. I wouldn't notice as much but many of them have babies that cry and it's like the babies are in my apartment. I have talked to them about being loud while others are trying to sleep but it didn't seem to help. Is there something in Islam that talks about doors having to be left open or is it maybe a Bengali thing?

Also, please don't troll or be aggressive because I don't understand, I am here to learn. I wish I didn't have to be so defensive but the internet is cruel and it's never helpful.

Thank you for the help,
Mark

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strivingobserver98
09-18-2015, 06:00 PM
Hi,

I came back from Bangladesh recently, I went to a dawat and noticed this too! We walked up to this apartment building and you could smell the strong hutki (dried fish) and curry, because they left the door open.

My mum always leaves the door open in our house to make the curry smell go away, maybe it might be because of that reason? Some spices are really strong too, they make you cough and eyes water lol :D.

Don't worry about trolls, this forum is moderated. And hopefully you will find the nicest people on here :).

BeTheChange
09-18-2015, 07:49 PM
I think it's very much a culture thing because i live in a very Bangladeshi populated area and they all do exactly the same thing :D.

M.I.A.
09-18-2015, 08:05 PM
When I was growing up.. The 80s it was not uncommon for the people I knew to keep there doors unlocked.

Although keeping doors open is probably the next level, I think its kinda sweet..

If a little annoying sometimes :/

Only Islamic thing I can think about is the guidance to always enter your homes through there proper entrances.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MarkL
09-19-2015, 01:28 AM
Wow, most friendly forum EVER! :D

It's so nice to have an answer or at least a consensus. I live in Los Angeles so while leaving your doors open does sound sweet, it's very strange and fairly naive especially in my neighborhood where crime is common. I never would have thought of the cooking aspect, that might be it but they must be cooking A LOT. I guess the late night get togethers are also part of the culture. Well, multiculturalism is part of LA and I wouldn't trade it for the world ... even if it's annoying sometimes.

Thank you all for your responses,
Mark L

BeTheChange
09-19-2015, 09:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MarkL
Wow, most friendly forum EVER! :D

It's so nice to have an answer or at least a consensus. I live in Los Angeles so while leaving your doors open does sound sweet, it's very strange and fairly naive especially in my neighborhood where crime is common. I never would have thought of the cooking aspect, that might be it but they must be cooking A LOT. I guess the late night get togethers are also part of the culture. Well, multiculturalism is part of LA and I wouldn't trade it for the world ... even if it's annoying sometimes.

Thank you all for your responses,
Mark L
Oh yes, this is definitely the place to be In sha Allah (God-willing).

I personally wouldn't be able to leave doors open exactly for that reason.

As the saying goes - better be safe than sorry.

monroe
09-20-2015, 05:15 AM
Very good thing!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!