/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Islamic Clothing

alicegrace
09-24-2015, 07:13 PM
I am interested in Islam and would be interested in trying dressing as a muslim girl and trying to live as one without actually becoming a muslim yet. What I want is to get an idea of what it is like to be a muslim girl and see if it may be for me. I would love to know how would be appropriate to dress and act and rules that I should try to follow.

Thanks in advance for the responces.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strivingobserver98
09-24-2015, 11:23 PM
Glad to hear your interested in Islam masha Allah. May Allah guide you to the straight path. Ameen :).

:ia: a sister can give you the best advice on hijab.

BeTheChange
09-25-2015, 08:36 AM
Hello Alice,

It's great you are making a conscious and informed change about your appearance and image.

So there are a few conditions that we must consider when we are wearing a headscarf or modest clothing.

Please don't get confused or follow latest fashion trends and always go back to the original source of information which is the Quraan (Holy Book) and the Sunnah (which includes everything our Prophet SAW said or did.)

I hope you find the below article useful;

I wanted to know about a matter consurning the RIGHT hijaab

What is the proper hijaab? I mean so many differnt hijaabs are to choose from, And I have this friend from Denmark and she converted to Islam for a while now, and she's pleased ( ALhamduli_Allah) and she want to wear the right Hijaab.

Could you please tell us wear it says that the hijaab SHOULD be LONG (JILBAAB) over the cheas! she really needs this! thank you

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaykh al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The conditions of hijaab:

Firstly:

(It should cover all the body apart from whatever has been exempted).

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allaah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”

This aayah clearly states that it is obligatory to cover all of a woman’s beauty and adornments and not to display any part of that before non-mahram men (“strangers”) except for whatever appears unintentionally, in which case there will be no sin on them if they hasten to cover it up.

Al-Haafiz ibn Katheer said in his Tafseer:

This means that they should not display any part of their adornment to non-mahrams, apart from that which it is impossible to conceal. Ibn Mas’ood said: such as the cloak and robe, i.e., what the women of the Arabs used to wear, an outer garment which covered whatever the woman was wearing, except for whatever appeared from beneath the outer garment. There is no sin on a woman with regard to this because it is impossible to conceal it.

Secondly

(it should not be an adornment in and of itself).

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“… and not to show off their adornment…” [al-Noor 24:31]. The general meaning of this phrase includes the outer garment, because if it is decorated it will attract men’s attention to her. This is supported by the aayah in Soorat al-Ahzaab (interpretation of the meaning):

“And stay in your houses, and do not display yourselves like that of the times of ignorance” [al-Ahzaab 33:33]. It is also supported by the hadeeth in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are three, do not ask me about them: a man who leaves the jamaa’ah, disobeys his leader and dies disobedient; a female or male slave who runs away then dies; and a woman whose husband is absent and left her with everything she needs, and after he left she made a wanton display of herself. Do not ask about them.”

(Narrated by al-Haakim, 1/119; Ahmad, 6/19; from the hadeeth of Faddaalah bint ‘Ubayd. Its isnaad is saheeh and it is in al-Adab al-Mufrad).

Thirdly:

(It should be thick and not transparent or “see-thru”)

- because it cannot cover properly otherwise. Transparent or see-thru clothing makes a woman more tempting and beautiful. Concerning this the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “During the last days of my ummah there will be women who are clothed but naked, with something on their heads like the humps of camels. Curse them, for they are cursed.” Another hadeeth adds: “They will not enter Paradise or even smell its fragrance, although its fragrance can be detected from such and such a distance.”
(Narrated by Muslim from the report of Abu Hurayrah).

Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said: what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) meant was women who wear clothes made of light fabric which describes and does not cover. They are clothed in name but naked in reality.
Transmitted by al-Suyooti in Tanweer al-Hawaalik, 3/103.

If you wish to read more please visit http://islamqa.info/en/6991

BeTheChange
09-25-2015, 08:38 AM
For general information about Islam you can also visit http://kalamullah.com/

& the above site gives you the option to download e-books, listen to audio lectures or read articles.

May Allah swt guide you to the truth Ameen.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
shafat10
09-25-2015, 06:06 PM
This question has already been answered as I can see. Still I would like to summarise for your help sister.
Firstly, the Hijab doesn't only mean the dress code. The way you talk, the way you walk, your character, your modesty, and all similar things fall under Hijab.
Allah mentions about the Hijab for men first, in the Quran in Surah Nur, chapter 24, verse 30, that tell to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty. Allah then speaks about the Hijab for women in Surah Nur, chapter 24, verse 31, the next verse, where Allah says: tell to the believing women that she should lower her gaze and guard her modesty, and should not display her beauty except that which appears ordinary of, and should draw a veil over her head and bosoms.

When a Muslim dresses, there are 6 criterias that he/she should follow. The first is the extent. For male, it is from the navel to the knees (at least). And for the women, it's the whole body covered, the only part that may be shown are the face and the hands up to the wrist. Though there are scholars who say even those should be covered. (I would request you, it's better to cover them too, so you may want to do it).
The rest 5 are same for male and female.
2. The dress should not be tight enough so that it reveals the shape of the body.
3. The dress should not be glamorous enough so that it attracts the opposite gender.
4. The dress should not be transparent so that you can see through.
5. The male should not wear the dress of a female and the female should not wear the dress of a male.
6. The dress shouldn't contain Shirk, as in, the dress shouldn't contain signs of the disbelievers.

Hope this helps sister. God bless you.

JohnnyEnglish
09-30-2015, 10:28 PM
Why does nobody here correct wrong translations/interpretations of verses in the Quran. Is the translation given above by 'be the change' correct or is that which is below here correct?

[24.31] And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband’s fathers, their sons, their husbands’ sons, their brothers or their brothers’ sons, or their sisters’ sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments…

shafat10
10-01-2015, 09:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by JohnnyEnglish
Why does nobody here correct wrong translations/interpretations of verses in the Quran. Is the translation given above by 'be the change' correct or is that which is below here correct?

[24.31] And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband’s fathers, their sons, their husbands’ sons, their brothers or their brothers’ sons, or their sisters’ sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments…

I don't exactly understand what you're trying to insinuate here.

But if you're referring to "covering the face is Fard or not", then there's difference of opinion.

There are scholars who say it is Fard, whereas there are other scholars who say it is Mustahab, as in, appreciated, supported, encouraged.

Now there's a lot of argument regarding this which I don't want to intend doing here.

However one thing which every scholar unanimously agrees to is that, if you fear Fitnah, if you fear trials and tribulations, then wearing the Niqab becomes Wajib for you. Wajib is equivalent to Fard as far importance is concerned.

As far as I am concerned, and as far as my studying goes, I agree with those group of scholars who say that it's is Mustahab. But I highly request every women to wear the Niqab, as it's really the perfect and best way to live peacefully, hopefully.

God bless.

shafat10
10-01-2015, 03:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JohnnyEnglish

You replied again but for some reason it doesn't appear here, I don't know why.

I however have read it in my Mail.

You said that different people say different things. Brother, you have to understand, as long as there are different types of people, there will be different types of opinion, but we should follow the one which is from the Quran and Sunnah.
Every human being is different and until the last day, there will always be differences in opinion, whether major or minor. As far as Islam is concerned, most of the differences are minor.
What you're saying about people who say x, y, z story, well, some say a, b, c; I request you to yourself read the Quran and Hadith and get the correct information. Then automatically you will know whether a, b, c is correct or x, y, z is correct.
We in the field of Comparative Religion, don't rely on what people say and what people do. Because most of the people themselves don't know what they believe and what they follow.

Hence always read the scriptures and don't look at what people say and do.

As far as difference amongst Muslims is concerned, like I said, it will always be, but minor. No one debates that how many times should you pray? 5 times or 10 times? Everyone agrees it's 5 times.
However there are certain things which different scholars understood in different ways, and that's very normal. Hence we should see what they say, listen to the differences and follow the one MORE closer to Quran and Sunnah. This doesn't mean the other opinions are wrong, it just means some are "more" closer to Quran and Sunnah. Please note.

And I am not sure what verse or Hadith you're referring to, it wasn't clear in the Mail.

But it seems like you're talking about the wives of the Prophet whom Prophet PBUH told to cover the face when a stranger came or similar.

To understand this, you need to know that certain things were a Fard or must for the Prophet PBUH and his wives but they are NOT Fard for us. For example the Tahajjud Salah was a must for the Prophet but it's not a must for us. Similarly, wearing the Niqab was a must for the wives of the Prophet but it's not a must for us.

However I would request you, that the questions you're asking is like the Quantum Mechanics of Islam. You first need to learn Friction, then Motion, then Laws of Motion and slowly move on to higher levels of understanding. A person who doesn't understand friction can never understand quantum mechanics.
Hence I request you learn the basics of Islam correctly, read for yourself and then move to difficult topics.
Hope this helps!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!