/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite novel?

Snow
09-30-2015, 09:03 PM
I love Watership Down.

It is about bunnies but it is really sad.
They made a movie about it, which was pretty good but it was far from the brilliance of the novel.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
09-30-2015, 09:07 PM
I have read that one. Nice one too but as I read so much it´s too difficult to say what is my favorite. I need to think a little more...

strivingobserver98
09-30-2015, 09:20 PM
Not sure if it's a novel but I loved "Of Mice and Men" and "Animal Farm". Insightful lessons it teaches you :).

Snow
09-30-2015, 09:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
I have read that one. Nice one too but as I read so much it´s too difficult to say what is my favorite. I need to think a little more...
It is hard to pick.
I just went with the one that comes to my mind and has haunted me a bit, as I watched the movie as a little kid.

Another one that I like, but is really creepy, is The Collector by John Fowles.
It is so well written, seems so authentic that it freaked me out a little bit.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snow
09-30-2015, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by فرحان
Not sure if it's a novel but I loved "Of Mice and Men" and "Animal Farm". Insightful lessons it teaches you :).

I enjoyed Of Mice and Men, a whole lot. Also Tortilla Flat and The Pearl. I have been meaning to read the Grapes of Wrath.
Orwell's 1984 is great, and Down and Out in Paris. I have never read Animal Farm - apart from quotes here and there.

Ahmed2014
09-30-2015, 10:28 PM
I used to love reading 20,000 leagues under the sea

lonewolf007
09-30-2015, 10:58 PM
off mice and men is so sad and deep.........

czgibson
09-30-2015, 11:55 PM
Greetings,

I have read hundreds of novels, but none comes close to James Joyce's Ulysses. I first read it when I was eighteen during the summer after I finished my A-levels. It is no exaggeration to say that it's changed the way I read completely.

Parts of Ulysses are very difficult, but the book teaches you how to read itself as you progress through it. Joyce uses a huge variety of styles to convey the experiences of a small number of central characters during one day in Dublin.

If you enjoy a challenging read, and especially if you enjoy beautifully written prose and wordplay, think about giving Ulysses a try. I should also mention that it's perhaps the funniest book I've ever read.

format_quote Originally Posted by Snow
I love Watership Down.
I used to know a lady who worked as an editor at a publishing house. One of the books she edited was Watership Down. She knew Richard Adams well and helped him to produce the final text of the novel.

Peace

Snow
10-01-2015, 06:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

I have read hundreds of novels, but none comes close to James Joyce's Ulysses. I first read it when I was eighteen during the summer after I finished my A-levels. It is no exaggeration to say that it's changed the way I read completely.

Parts of Ulysses are very difficult, but the book teaches you how to read itself as you progress through it. Joyce uses a huge variety of styles to convey the experiences of a small number of central characters during one day in Dublin.

If you enjoy a challenging read, and especially if you enjoy beautifully written prose and wordplay, think about giving Ulysses a try. I should also mention that it's perhaps the funniest book I've ever read.

I used to know a lady who worked as an editor at a publishing house. One of the books she edited was Watership Down. She knew Richard Adams well and helped him to produce the final text of the novel.

Peace
I've never tried to read Ulysses. I've heard some awful things and some positive things.
I guess I'll have to find out for myself.
Dubliners is one that I did read, though. It was pretty good. Nothing that stuck too much with me.
It is neat that you know a person that edited my favorite book. Richard Adams, judging from his interviews, seems like a great person. Very much a nature lover and protested very harshly when the UK government was about to destroy some of the land that was the inspiration for Watership Down.

He had a hard time getting it published. It was basically a story that he made up on the spot, for his girls, as they were about to go to sleep or as they were getting bored getting to school, as he was driving them.
I think that he got a negative response from every publisher, except one, since the story about rabbits was not for adults and the content of the story of the rabbits was not too fitting for kids. Haha they did not see who could possibly like the story.

Snow
10-01-2015, 06:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed2014
I used to love reading 20,000 leagues under the sea
Jules was amazing.
I read one that is not too well known. I think it was called Paris in the 20th century. It has been many years since I read it but he envisioned so many things that would later come true.
That was a book that he did not even publish. I think a son of his just found the book in some lost papers.
Not the most entertaining book but it was impressive.

sister herb
10-01-2015, 08:05 PM
The latest good book I read was "The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" (Jonas Jonasson). It was real hilarious.

Snow
10-01-2015, 08:31 PM
The latest good book I read was "The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" (Jonas Jonasson). It was real hilarious.
The Scandinavians are great at bleak humor.
Elling stands out, in my mind.

MidnightRose
10-01-2015, 08:52 PM
I found the following work to be a fascinating read. It pulled me into a world of imagination and fantasy.

The title is The One Thousand and One Nights; also known as The Arabian Nights.

Mirza06
10-01-2015, 09:07 PM
Menace II Society

Snow
10-02-2015, 02:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by najimuddin
I found the following work to be a fascinating read. It pulled me into a world of imagination and fantasy.

The title is The One Thousand and One Nights; also known as The Arabian Nights.
Great choice.
Richard, the translator had an interesting life.

BeTheChange
10-02-2015, 09:32 AM
Asalamualykum,

It's been a very very long time since i last read a book.

Unfortunately, i don't have the time for it anymore but the last good books that i read, (& can remember) are;

attachmentphp?attachmentid5511&ampstc1 - (Very interesting insight from an ex-detainee).

attachmentphp?attachmentid5512&ampstc1 - (AMAZING READ!!)

attachmentphp?attachmentid5513&ampstc1 - << (I think i've read this one. It sounds familiar, if it wasn't this one it was a book very similar to this).

Abz2000
10-02-2015, 12:46 PM
there are quite a few which i found to be quite entertaining,

The Street Lawyer - by John Grisham
The Partner
A Time To Kill

i'm not promoting Jeffrey Archer's due to the lax lewdness - despite some of them being otherwise well thought out.

edit, as a kid, Franklin w. dixon's hardy boys - Perfect Getaway is a Must read.

Plot summary

From end of*Casefile*#11*--*How can a man steal millions and millions from a company -- and then disappear?
That's what the Hardys have to find out or a friend's father will take the rap. What they discover is the ultimate getaway -- an escape plot that defies imagination. Frank and Joe set off on the same trail, with a breifcase full of hot bills. It leads them to a tropical hideaway.
But as the Hardys learn, this is no paradise.
Can they blow the secret of this escape route? Or will they be blown away themselves?
From back of book*--*It's the ultimate criminal operation. For a huge fee Perfect Getaway Travel, Ltd. will provide a clean escape from the long arm of the law. To crack the ring, Frank and Joe pose as a pair of crooks looking for a safe hideout. But when they finally manage to reach the end of the line, the brother detectives find themselves trapped in a private kingdom. A garden of evil, ruled by a murderous crimelord -- where an exit visa costs a cool five million dollars.

strivingobserver98
10-02-2015, 03:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BeTheChange
(AMAZING READ!!)
Noughts & Crosses.. quite curious to see what it's about!

What did the book teach you?

Snow
10-02-2015, 05:22 PM

Is great. I am a sucker for sci-fi, mostly the dark stuff.
Philip K. Dick and William Gibson.

Snow
10-22-2015, 04:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mirza06
Menace II Society
Was there a book?
I remember the movie but maybe I am ignorant.

DanEdge
10-22-2015, 06:37 AM
Greetings,

I've enjoyed so many novels over the years, it's hard to pick just one. Some I've read over and over. Here's a few in my top 50:

- The Three Musketeers series by Alexandre Dumas
- The Stand by Stephen King
- Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
- The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- The Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean M. Auel

I'd recommend any of these, along with Dune, Arabian Nights, and several others already mentioned.

Sincerely,

--Dan Edge

Snow
10-22-2015, 12:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DanEdge
Greetings,

I've enjoyed so many novels over the years, it's hard to pick just one. Some I've read over and over. Here's a few in my top 50:

- The Three Musketeers series by Alexandre Dumas
- The Stand by Stephen King
- Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
- The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- The Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean M. Auel

I'd recommend any of these, along with Dune, Arabian Nights, and several others already mentioned.

Sincerely,

--Dan Edge
I liked The Three Musketeers but I found The Count of Monte Cristo to be superior.
The Stand was pretty good. I found the guy that set the gas stations on fire to be funny, in some way.
I never tried to read Les Miserables because I read The Hunchback of Notre Dame and I found it really boring.
I've read everything by Dostoyevsky except The Demons. I loved them all except The Gambler. He is one of my favorite authors.
The cover of The Clan of the Cave Bear is vaguely familiar but I've never read it. I'll look it up.

Ohh and welcome to the board.

Scimitar
10-22-2015, 01:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snow
I love Watership Down.

It is about bunnies but it is really sad.
They made a movie about it, which was pretty good but it was far from the brilliance of the novel.
This HAS to be the cutest post ever on this forum :)

Scimi

EDIT: Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist was an endearing read. Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird was exemplary. Asimov's vision in his Robots books was - theorietical science, in story form. Genius. I don't know... I guess I can go on like this but for me, I think it would be fair to say that when deciding which book is the best, it is best to narrow that down into genre's.

Scimi

sister herb
10-22-2015, 01:56 PM
I too like The Clan of the Cave Bear but of my mind the story starts to repeat itself after the first few parts. Maybe it has too many sequels. But that´s of course just my opinion.

Snow
10-22-2015, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
This HAS to be the cutest post ever on this forum
;D Thanks for that.
The book is really bleak, though.

Scimitar
10-22-2015, 05:41 PM
I thought it was very emotionally charged, and appreciated the simple use of language. Goes down as an instant classic in my book. Bleak theme for a non DUBSTEP generation - that's an accolade I think :)

Scimi

crimsontide06
10-22-2015, 08:20 PM
Gone with the Wind

DanEdge
10-23-2015, 05:24 AM
I too like The Clan of the Cave Bear but of my mind the story starts to repeat itself after the first few parts. Maybe it has too many sequels. But that´s of course just my opinion.
Sister Herb,

I agree that these novels are somewhat repetitive, especially the romantic elements. The author makes Jondolar sound like a weak man who is always generating emotional problems in his relationship with Ayla. But I still really enjoy these novels because it's clear that the author did a lot of research into the pre-history of humankind. The final book in the series, "The Land of Painted Caves," was written after the discovery of the Chauvet Caves in France, which contains the oldest cave paintings discovered to date. Jean M. Auel was allowed access to the caves and she incorporated these experiences into her writing. Her incredible research is part of the reason I love her books.

Sincerely,

--Dan Edge

sister herb
10-23-2015, 08:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by DanEdge
Sister Herb,

I agree that these novels are somewhat repetitive, especially the romantic elements. The author makes Jondolar sound like a weak man who is always generating emotional problems in his relationship with Ayla. But I still really enjoy these novels because it's clear that the author did a lot of research into the pre-history of humankind. The final book in the series, "The Land of Painted Caves," was written after the discovery of the Chauvet Caves in France, which contains the oldest cave paintings discovered to date. Jean M. Auel was allowed access to the caves and she incorporated these experiences into her writing. Her incredible research is part of the reason I love her books.

Sincerely,

--Dan Edge
I agree. I too am interesting about these books because of their historic elements. Well, I always have been interesting about history.

ajr
11-14-2015, 09:47 PM
V.C Andrews...Flowers in the Attic, Petals in the Wind, If there be thorns...

I quite like her books...

James Patterson Alex Cross series

He is also good...

There are many authors...sadly i can only think of them...'my brain is in zombi mode' lol

Snow
11-24-2015, 09:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by najimuddin
This is a rather imaginative work of fiction.

Awesome book.
So many quotable things he wrote. One of my favorite is:
'He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.'
Another one that is rarely quoted but no less awesome:
'Our problem is not machines acting like humans -- it’s humans acting like machines.

al_Hind
11-25-2015, 07:04 PM
I haven't read many classical novels admittedly, since fiction isn't usually my first choice in reading these days. George Orwells Animal Farm blew me away, definitely a must read. I recently read The Great Gatsby and Wuthering Heights, and while I usually turn my nose up to fiction, the richness of language and the effortless command these classical authors have over language is truly astonishing.

Classical novels are in whole other league, I like the way they don't always follow a typical story line but weave in and out of topics and themes.

Snow
11-25-2015, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ajr
Flowers in the Attic
I vaguely remember reading that book as a teen.
Seemed a bit creepy. If I remember correctly, there was some ghost writer that kept on writing the stories. I could be wrong.

ajr
11-26-2015, 04:42 AM
Ok so now you confusing me hahha...

Flowers in the attic is about orphans... mother is wealthy, marries a 'working class' regular guy and he dies eventually... daughter moves back to her mothers with her kids...grandmother puts her kids in the attic. Its actually a good read. There has been movies made.

The reason why im so cryptic, well its because its a good read, id hate to be the spoiler of a good read.

Snow
04-12-2016, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ajr
Ok so now you confusing me hahha...

Flowers in the attic is about orphans... mother is wealthy, marries a 'working class' regular guy and he dies eventually... daughter moves back to her mothers with her kids...grandmother puts her kids in the attic. Its actually a good read. There has been movies made.

The reason why im so cryptic, well its because its a good read, id hate to be the spoiler of a good read.
I'll have to read it again.

noraina
04-13-2016, 08:46 AM
Assalamu Alaykum,

I like the romantic British classics - I can never have enough of Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice, they're in a league of their own. :wub:

I enjoyed To Kill a Mockingbird, Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies... I haven't read a good book for so long now, with exams and all. If anyone wants to give any suggestions I like the romantic classics, science fiction, thrillers and historical novels. :D

BTW, I vaguely remember hearing of Flowers in the Attic - doesn't it have an uncomfortable theme? It was banned in several states in America I think.

noraina
04-13-2016, 08:50 AM
I also want to read of Mice and Men and the Alchemist. I am such a book nerd - if anyone wants to go in my good books they just have to give me a nice novel. :)

eesa the kiwi
04-13-2016, 09:07 AM
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Hamza :)
04-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Angels and Demons, and Inferno by Dan Brown :shade:

Jane Eyre was a nightmare for me. Maybe I just read it for the sake of it.

Treasure island, probably the best read when I was 9.

A tale of two cities; the ending was heartbreaking

More names later

Kiro
04-26-2016, 11:06 AM
Sasuke Shinden is something I'd be interested. Though not a big fan of reading though.

04-26-2016, 11:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kiro
Sasuke Shinden is something I'd be interested. Though not a big fan of reading though.
Though it sounds japanese though

Kiro
04-26-2016, 11:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza :)
Though it sounds japanese though
I don't really like reading unless there are illustrations

04-26-2016, 11:11 AM
I don't really like reading unless there are illustrations
Though reading is fun though

04-26-2016, 11:12 AM
Famous five series (used to love em)
Secret Seven

Kiro
04-26-2016, 11:13 AM
Though reading is fun though
For some reason, I usually forget what I read so I need pictures to keep me interested.

I like writing more then reading.

04-26-2016, 11:21 AM
For some reason, I usually forget what I read so I need pictures to keep me interested.

I like writing more then reading.
Grace us with your enlightening words of wisdom ya sayyidi

Kiro
04-26-2016, 11:23 AM
Grace us with your enlightening words of wisdom ya sayyidi
read what im sayin to be bracin in what im racin, let the coolness of my words reach yah and sink deep inside ya for it be emdded in ya for you to remember that I wrote two sentences.... yeaaaah

04-26-2016, 11:25 AM
read what im sayin to be bracin in what im racin, let the coolness of my words reach yah and sink deep inside ya for it be emdded in ya for you to remember that I wrote two sentences.... yeaaaah
Make a separate thread an mention me there :thumbsup:

Sounds awesome btw

Keep em names comin'

Kiro
04-26-2016, 11:26 AM
Make a separate thread an mention me there :thumbsup:

Sounds awesome btw

Keep em names comin'
what thread habibi?

04-26-2016, 11:28 AM
what thread habibi?
Your writings' thread

Kiro
04-26-2016, 11:31 AM
Your writings' thread
You want me to make a creative writing thread? Sure.

I should make a story with the main characters as @farhan and @hamza

the villian can be called Madao

04-26-2016, 11:32 AM
You want me to make a creative writing thread? Sure.

I should make a story with the main characters as @farhan and @hamza

the villian can be called Madao
Go ahead, waiting

no the villain would be kiro :p

Kiro
04-26-2016, 11:33 AM
Go ahead, waiting

no the villain would be kiro :p
ok lol

amanshaikh1086
04-27-2016, 10:15 AM
Salam Walikum

Quran is my favourite novel.

Thanks

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!