/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic authenticity and comparative discussions

MidnightRose
10-06-2015, 08:15 PM
The following is a synopsis of some aspects of Islamic belief that I hope may be of some use. As a layman, it is the product of the education and experience that I have acquired from the works, and being in the company, of Islamic scholars of the classical tradition.

My conviction in the authenticity of Islam rests on the honest nature of Muhammad (PBUH).

This premise is supported by the following statement of the celebrated senior Islamic research scholar - Sayyid Abul Hasan Ali Nadwi:

"Absolute truthfulness and dependability of a messenger of God constitute the first and the most essential factor for acceptance of his mission." (Muhammad Rasulullah: The Apostle of Mercy, p. 111)

The wisdom of Allah is indeed amazing. Muhammad (PBUH) interacted with society for 40 years prior to being commissioned as a Prophet by Allah. This resulted in the Prophet Muhammad's (PBUH) truthfulness being confirmed by all who knew him. It is for this reason that he was known as Al-Amin. Those that refused to acknowledge the message of revelation realized that he wasn't a liar. Thus, their rejections were for a variety of other reasons.

As stated of the Prophet (PBUH) by Sayyid Abul Hasan Ali Nadwi:

"From early youth, the unobtrusive youngman was known for his gentle disposition and austere purity of his life as well as his candidness, honesty and integrity and the stern sense of duty. His was the straight and narrow path and none could find the slightest fault with him. The fair character and honourable bearing of the Apostle won for him, in the flower of his youth, the title of Al-Amin, the Trusty, from his fellow citizens. (Muhammad Rasulullah: The Apostle of Mercy, pp. 97-98)

The reports of the Prophet Muhammad's (PBUH) truthfulness are of the highest degree of authenticity due to their being mutawatir. The definition of this Islamic term is:

"A mass-transmitted report that is transmitted from one generation to the next in such large numbers, that one could not imagine that they conspired to forge it." (See The Preservation of Hadith)

According to the principles of Islam, one of the processes involved in evaluating a report is the scrutiny of the reporter's biography. In an Islamic context, the messenger is of no less importance than the message itself. For a glimpse of who Shaikh Sayyid Abul Hasan Ali Nadwi (RA) was, please see the following: About Mawlana Abul Hasan Ali Nadwi.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

With the context established above, if-then statements and/or criteria for comprehending the authenticity of Islamic narratives – such as the Qur’an – are not contingent on non-Islamic understandings/philosophy/logic. Shaikh Ibrahim Madani has stated that the correct way for a Muslim to understand everything, including historical narratives in the Qur’an, is through what Muhammad (PBUH) has taught us.

For example:

• All historical narratives in the Qur’an are from Allah.
  • Muhammad’s (PBUH) truthfulness is established beyond a reasonable doubt.
  • Therefore, the authenticity of Qur’anic narratives are not contingent on non-Muslim beliefs/philosophy/logic.
  • They are contingent on what Muhammad (PBUH) told us.

In this case, Muslims know the previous Prophets of Allah through what Muhammad (PBUH) has told them. We, as Muslims, do not accept any other authority on this matter.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

The Qur’an is a narrative of Allah provided to us through Muhammad (PBUH). It - itself - is of the highest degree of authenticity due to being mutawatir. To reiterate the definition of this Islamic term; It is a mass-transmitted report that is transmitted from one generation to the next in such large numbers, that one could not imagine that they conspired to forge it.

To paraphrase the senior Islamic research scholar, Mufti Taqi Usmani:

Allah has safeguarded the Qur’an in an extraordinary manner. Due to this, it wouldn’t matter if all the copies of the Qur'an disappeared today. This Qur'an has been and still is in the hearts and minds of millions of people – word for word in the original Arabic – through uninterrupted chains of transmission since the time of the Prophet (PBUH). These people are known as Hufaaz. Attempts to alter the Qur'an throughout history by various entities have failed precisely because of this.
(See An Approach to the Sciences of the Qur’an: Uloomul Qur’an)

Indeed, the late William W. Cooper – a celebrated academic who is widely considered to be the father of management science – stated that as of his research in 2008, “…the number of Hafiz (sic) in the world is estimated to be more than 10 million”. (Click here to access original source.)
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________
In summary, the Prophet Muhammad’s (PBUH) impeccable integrity is beyond a reasonable doubt. It is further established that the message he received from Allah – the Qur’an – has been protected from alteration through the means described above.

Therefore, discoveries and/or non-Islamic – perceptually based – interpretations/philosophy/logic in relation to the authenticity of Islam are not entertained. Islam’s authenticity cannot be credibly contested.

Perceptions - understandings of things - are developed through education and experience. People use their perceptions to define and interpret what evidence and faith is. It is imperative that a Muslim’s perceptions be the product of the teachings of Muhammad (PBUH). Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, there are many Muslims – including university professors – who are not fully aware of these robust and comprehensive teachings. Their perceptions are the product of non-Islamic narratives.

In need of duas.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MidnightRose
10-21-2015, 07:06 PM
I came across something I'd like to share in relation to the transmission of Islamic knowledge:

"The method in which this divine knowledge was passed down to us by our predecessors was from heart to heart which required one to be under the direct tutorship and supervision of ‘Ulama. The first teacher of this ummah was our beloved Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) who taught the Sahaba (radhiyallahu ‘anhum), they then taught the Tabi’een (rahimahumullah), who in turn taught the Tab’e Tabi’een (rahimahullah) and who in turn taught our predecessors. As such, the knowledge of Shari’ah was transferred from generation to generation in this manner."

Source: http://www.askimam.org/public/question_detail/30663

The knowledge of Shari’ah continues to be transmitted this way. The verification of its authenticity can be ascertained by becoming acquainted with the people who are part of this method of education. The image below shows the chains of transmission in ahadith for Shaykh Mansur Memon Madani, Shaykh al-Hadith Abdul Moiz, Shaykh Ibrahim Memon Madani, and Mufti Husain Ahmed Madani. They are all currently teachers at Darul Uloom Canada.

Image obtained from: http://enterthesunnah.com/bloggers-short-bios/.

A high quality version can be obtained by clicking on the following link: https://bukhari2013.files.wordpress....4/05/sanad.pdf

Eric H
10-22-2015, 06:24 AM
Greetings and peace be with you najimuddin;

"The method in which this divine knowledge was passed down to us by our predecessors was from heart to heart which required one to be under the direct tutorship and supervision of ‘Ulama. The first teacher of this ummah was our beloved Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) who taught the Sahaba (radhiyallahu ‘anhum), they then taught the Tabi’een (rahimahumullah), who in turn taught the Tab’e Tabi’een (rahimahullah) and who in turn taught our predecessors. As such, the knowledge of Shari’ah was transferred from generation to generation in this manner."
Allah chooses whom he wills, and as you say, the message was passed on from heart to heart, but first, Allah has to open the heart of those he wishes to respond. When I read posts on this forum, I sense a deep sincerity of belief. You talk about comparative discussions, the hardest part for me to comprehend, is the message from 'the One and the same God' he seems to give each one of us a sincerity of belief from diverse faiths.

How will each one of us find eternal life? Are we to compete with each other? Is it my job to convert you to my Catholic faith, and your role is to convert me to Islam? Or is there a greater message within our Holy Scriptures? Justice for all people, trusting in God, caring for all people despite our differences.

In the spirit of praying to 'One God,

Eric

MidnightRose
10-22-2015, 10:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H

Allah chooses whom he wills, and as you say, the message was passed on from heart to heart, but first, Allah has to open the heart of those he wishes to respond. When I read posts on this forum, I sense a deep sincerity of belief. You talk about comparative discussions, the hardest part for me to comprehend, is the message from 'the One and the same God' he seems to give each one of us a sincerity of belief from diverse faiths.

How will each one of us find eternal life? Are we to compete with each other? Is it my job to convert you to my Catholic faith, and your role is to convert me to Islam? Or is there a greater message within our Holy Scriptures? Justice for all people, trusting in God, caring for all people despite our differences.

Eric
Greetings and peace be with you as well Brother Eric,

From an Islamic perspective, Allah’s decisions and actions are beyond our intellect. The Qur’anic narrative of Musa and Khidr – peace be upon both of them – is an illustration of this. Shaykh Mufti Muhammad Shafi (RA) comments on this incident recorded in Surah 18: Verses 60 – 82 on pages 621 – 646 of the work on Qur’anic exegesis, Ma’ariful Quran, Volume 5. Hence, fully understanding – if at all – the workings of Allah’s will is beyond human comprehension. We ask for His guidance.

And, I absolutely agree with you, the members on this forum are sincere in their beliefs and, in my opinion, good people. I am honored to be a member of this forum and appreciate being granted the opportunity to share ideas and interact with everyone here.

When I speak about comparative discussions, it is in the context of understanding the foundation of Islamic theology. Hence, Islamic authenticity comes before comparative discussions in the thread title. There was a time when I didn’t know that Islam had such a robust and comprehensive tradition. Because of this, I understood Islam in the context of non-Islamic narratives (i.e. Certain narratives in the Qur’an referring to antiquity are found in the Talmud and not the Torah. Since the Talmud is not from God, then Muhammad (PBUH) must have either been confused or purposefully misleading.). Prior to my exposure to Islamic scholars of the classical tradition, such non-Islamic narratives carried credibility in my mind and my faith in Islam was dictated by these arguments.

As a professed layman, my intent is to share the understanding I have gained in relation to this. That is why I have provided references and source materials that point interested readers in the direction of where they can get further information. These sources – that pertain to Islamic understanding – all point in the direction of gaining guidance from those that have mastered this field. They approach matters in accordance with the guidance of Muhammad (PBUH). For someone like me, that’s the only guidance that matters.

May Allah reward you with goodness.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MuslimInshallah
10-23-2015, 02:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H

Eric
Assalaamu alaikum Eric,

(smile) It is my understanding that a person must ask God to Open his Heart, and then God will Open it. Just as a person wishing to cover his heart can only do this because God Permits and Enables him to do so. In essence, it is my understanding that everything is dependent on God's Will. It is just He has Gifted us with the option to chose.

(smile) It is not just Christians, Muslims and other groups who have differing views. Within Muslims, you will find different understandings. No one has Absolute Knowledge. We just have our feeble human understandings.

(smile) Who will go to Paradise? Who to Hell? Who will spend some time in Hell and then be renewed and end up in Paradise? Who knows? Only God. This is His Dominion alone.

Are we to compete with one another? (smile) It says in the Qur'an 2:148:

Pickthall translation: And each one hath a goal toward which he turneth; so vie with one another in good works. Wheresoever ye may be, Allah will bring you all together. Lo! Allah is Able to do all things.

(smile) So yes, we should compete... in doing the best we can.

(smile) And my understanding is that it is not our "job" to "convert" people. It is our duty to call others towards God, towards goodness. (smile) But what others choose is between them and God. I am just responsible for my own actions (including calling gently).

I hope this helps.

May God, the Wise, have Mercy on all those who struggle to Please Him.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!