/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Sister could use advice on proper clothing?

crochetchick30
10-09-2015, 08:26 PM
Hello! I have recently decided to say my shahadah and become Muslim after some conversations with a Muslim friend. I cannot begin to express how wonderful I feel having made this choice in my life! It is like a light in my world has turned on! I am trying to learn as much as I can daily and make my lifestyle changes as I can, and I definitely wish to start wearing more modest clothing, but I live in a very small town in New Mexico, and there are no places that sell appropriate clothes here, especially for someone who is as tall (5'11") as I am, and still falls into the "plus size" category (although, Allah willing, my health and weight will continue to come under control).

Do any of my fellow sisters have any advice on where I might be able to find affordable or free hijabs, abayas, or patterns on how to make them? I don't have a sewing machine, but I'm decent with a needle and thread, and could probably make a passable one if I tried. Buying online is not likely, as I don't have credit cards, and my budget is limited, but I can save and buy as I can.

Thank you for your advice and help, and I am so glad to have found this place to help me on my journey!
-Carrie

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Celebrimbor
10-10-2015, 08:52 AM
Welcome to Islam, the religion of God. We pray for your success, guidance, mercy, prosperity and wish you all happiness as a Muslim. "Allah found you lost and guided you" (Qur'an)

God-willing, some generous sisters here can help you. I'm pretty someone can post/parcel it to you. Or perhaps we could collect some funds and one of the female moderators/admins could order it for you online. This would better be done after some verification. I would certainly be willing to give a helping hand.

Is it not possible to go to any nearest Muslim town/community ?

I'll take it that you're aware of the rules of modesty/hijab, so at the moment you can simply purchase a cost effective long loose clothing like a long skirt and a loose top until you get hold of an abaya. With regards to headscarves, maybe tying a thin cloth would suffice for now.

Welcome to the safe haven once again.

MuslimInshallah
10-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Carrie!

(smile) Welcome to this Forum, and welcome to Islam!

Regarding clothing, you might look at this thread: http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ml#post2846966

(smile) When I first was looking into how to dress, there were very few Muslims, and virtually no one who wore a headscarf. So I experimented with different styles. (smile) I suggest you do the same. You can find clothing that covers you; you just need to be a little creative, sometimes. You don't have to wear an abaya. That is clothing adapted to a different place. You have to think of your local climate and needs. (smile) I usually wear a long skirt (with leggings in winter), a long sleeve T-shirt, with a sleeveless dress over, and a cardigan or sweater when necessary. These are all items you can find in the stores, including second hand stores. You just need to shop around a bit. (smile) But you need to adapt to your circumstances. For instance, when I have to work on the roof, or climb up and down a ladder to harvest apples, I don't wear a long skirt, as this is dangerous. I wear loose pants and a knee-length tunic.

As for headscarves: there is no one way to do this. I remember experimenting with a wrap-around turban style, an old European kerchief style, folding a squarish cloth into a sort of triangle, and folding it to frame my face, and then using a safety pin to attach it under my chin. You could also try tucking your hair into a beret or a peaked cap...(smile) Now I can easily find inexpensive (really, they are $5-7) cotton headscarves in two pieces that are easy and comfortable to wear. (smile) If you can't find them now, just keep your eyes open. If God so Wills, they will cross your path sooner or later.

You might also try googling "Islamic Wear". This can give you some clothing ideas. (smile) Enjoy yourself, my dear. Take your time, and develop your own style. The most important thing is that you slowly deepen your relationship with God. You don't have to destroy all your identity and come out a clone the next day. (smile) Developing that relationship with God takes a lifetime. (smile) Just take it one step at a time, and your faith will grow stronger and deeper roots than if you try for impossible perfection in one leap.

May Allah, the Forbearing, Help us to find the Middle Path that leads to Him.

crochetchick30
10-10-2015, 05:05 PM
That's sounding definitely workable. I can probably find things that are adaptable for now and worry about getting other stuff later on. I've seen some scarves in Walmart that might work for coverings. Believe me, I've never been the type to be a clone of anyone, I've always been an individual, and I don't plan on changing that!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
jessica6sg
10-19-2015, 09:42 PM
Salam to everyone on this forum.
I was going to post a similar question since I am not within the sister area yet and I found this.
This so far has been much helpful; thank you. :)

Allah bless you all.

Respectfully,
Jessica

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!