/* */

PDA

View Full Version : marriage question

Lisa921
10-16-2015, 11:01 AM
Assalaamu alaykum
I met someone from KSA who has good deen, is mature, finished school and ready for marriage. But he is only 24 and I am 35...I am just worried about this age gap and what sorts of issues it will present to the marriage. The groom is Asian and in Asian culture its not common I think for men to marry older wives correct me if I am wrong please. He says he doesn't mind and compares it to Khadija and Muhammad Alhamdulillah.
But being a thinker person I like to try to figure out these things and prepare myself for all possibilities.
If you have any advice for me please share. I would be happy for it.
Lisa

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aflawedbeing
10-16-2015, 12:43 PM
If it's naseeb it's naseeb. Allahu alim.
If he's so about marrying an older woman despite everything working against him in the realm he clearly doesn't see societal/culture stigma as an issue, the very things that often hinder someone's deen and undermine their emaan. That's gotta give him 'Masha'Allah points,' right?
(I'd like to say if my daughter has this happen, as a wali it'd give the guy 'masha'Allah points' in my eyes for these reasons...Okay, I'll stop saying 'masha'Allah points' now.)

Honestly, I say, so long as your comfortable see past age, pray istikhara and see what happens. :)

Though, if I may also interject in another way...If you are going to go ahead with things - find a halal way to do so, and cling to it for dear life insha'Allah!

*charisma*
10-16-2015, 01:46 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Did you meet him in person or online?

MuslimInshallah
10-16-2015, 02:34 PM
Wa alaikum assalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu Lisa,

(gently) Oh my dear... such grooms are very common...

(sigh) Just recently, I was talking with an immigration consultant. She was telling me how she'd tried to warn a woman with a situation similar to yours. Of course, the woman loved the young man, and she did not listen, and she sponsored him to Canada. Since the rules changed, marriage fraudsters can't just ditch you soon after arriving. But the day he got his Permanent Residency... he kicked her out of the house.

At least he was sort-of honest. Some men will be cruel and degrade you until you are forced to flee from them.

Still, some men are kinder. I do know one couple where the woman is 6 or 7 years older than the man, and they have a true marriage. However, they were both younger when they married, and have had children together.

I met another woman who was in a position like you are describing. She was fortunate. Sort of. The groom's family were decent people who counselled their son to be good to her because she did so much for him. It took several years before the immigration application was approved. And by then, she was near 40. They were not able to have children together (she had some from a previous marriage though). But after some years, the young man settled down and wanted children. So he wanted to marry a younger woman. However, it is illegal in Canada for a man to marry more than one woman, so he divorced his older wife. She was devastated. She desperately texts him many times a day, and says he will always be her best friend. And she hopes the new woman in his life will accept her presence.

(gently) If you look through Muslim matrimonial sites (and I have), you will find many men from other countries who will court you. They love to quote the story of Khadijah (RA). They may make outrageous claims about their faith in your bearing children for them. They may say it is in Allah's Hands, and they accept whatever will (or won't) come. They may claim to only trust older women because a younger one betrayed their love. They may even have their families on board who will pretend to accept you. They may claim to be scholars or otherwise very into Islam. They may say many pretty and heartwarming things...

But essentially, these are young men who really want to come to Canada (or another wealthier nation). They may claim otherwise. They may even say they want you to join them in their country (this doesn't last long after they've consummated the marriage...). But the truth is that if a man, especially (but not exclusively) a young one, is showing an older woman who has previously been married a lot of attention... he's very probably looking for something: generally money and immigration.

(mildly) The men justify their actions by saying that life is hard in their countries. And there is definitely truth to this. However, the men tend to be from middle class families. They are not destitute. They would just like more.

Each case is a little different. And some men will try to be decent. But a woman, especially a revert such as yourself, must be extremely careful. You have no real wali, you know little to nothing of the man's background, and you are taking a large financial risk when you sponsor a husband. I have looked a bit at some of the problems you face in the thread: http://www.islamicboard.com/family-a...s-dangers.html

(gently) I wish I could recommend to you a safe way of finding a husband in your situation. But I cannot. All I can say is: I very much doubt that this man is the gem you think he is. Take steps to protect yourself (I have given a few on the thread I mentioned).

May Allah, the Compassionate, have Mercy on this Ummah, and Strengthen us to be better Muslims.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*charisma*
10-16-2015, 05:26 PM
I agree with MuslimInshallah's post. I have heard of many women who "fall in love" with a guy who's from a different country and is much older than her, only to later find out that he used her to get to the States or UK. They usually meet these men while on vacation or online (and then go to visit him in his country). They also never mention the girl to their parents and continue to make excuses about letting her meet them. These are just signs to be wary about. It is much better to find someone more locally than to accept someone who you really have no idea about except what he tells you.

aamuslim
10-17-2015, 06:37 AM
Informative posts above :statisfie, and awaiting an answer to *charisma*'s first post in the thread, we would need more information to further understand the scenario. Islamically age barrier is not of any concern in our religion, but we cannot compare ourselves to the likes of Khadija and Muhammad, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam. We men prefer younger women, in all honesty, in real life a 35 year old man would be wanting and looking for a 24 year old girl not the other way around.

aflawedbeing
10-17-2015, 07:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamuslim
Informative posts above :statisfie, and awaiting an answer to *charisma*'s first post in the thread, we would need more information to further understand the scenario. Islamically age barrier is not of any concern in our religion, but we cannot compare ourselves to the likes of Khadija and Muhammad, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam. We men prefer younger women, in all honesty, in real life a 35 year old man would be wanting and looking for a 24 year old girl not the other way around.
Uh. No.

Speak for yourself don't speak for 'we men'.
When I was seeking marriage I was looking for maturity, and was while not being too discriminate leaning towards older sisters.

I wound up being screwed over by the very cultural stigma in your post, because one sister's (who mutually wanted to marry me, as was much older, and we were citizens of the same country) family held such closed minded views dear.
This is close to me, and something I'll help my son with when he's old enough to get it, because astaghfiruAllah, that scar (more so the petty unislamic reasoning) took a long while to heal - I was hurt because it's not how Muslims are supposed to be. Especially to trivialise something as important as marriage.

In the end, it's neither here nor there that my wife who was naseeb for me wound up being the same age.

Personally, if I were a 35 year old man seeking out a 24 year old woman, to me it'd feel wrong and almost predatory. I know it's not always the case, I suppose we all have biases...I'd also hold any 'older man' seeking out my daughter with the same scrutiny.

Older men use younger women - younger men use older women.
But between all the horror stories and jahiliyya scare campaigns, we ignore the largest group of men, those that regardless of age treat all women like queens.

WHY ARE THE ANSWERS IN THIS THREAD SO 'ONE-TRACK MINDED' Subhan'Allah.

I'm not dissing our right to be concerned for our sister, but all in all, I find it troubling we're not telling her to pray Istikhara and are jumping to judging this brother so readily especially for being younger. Whereas if it were a 50 year old being all pervy we'd all be like 'Hah. That's what a man is like.'

This is embodying why young brothers (early 20's) are struggling with their desires and can't get married, and why we have so many depressed older sisters who've given up for being 'past their best before date'.

The Ummah is a body, and if a marriage is halal it's fine - get with the program.

*charisma*
10-17-2015, 02:30 PM
It's not that it's a one track minded view, but as a female and new convert she should be wary about certain things. Men will try to take advantage of her and treat her badly because her knowledge in islam is still blooming. There's nothing wrong with her marrying a man younger than her, but most men looking for that type of marriage are not like you. Born muslim women have more protection from their family and usually those types of guys don't go for them because they already know they can't be cheated or taken advantage of, but a new revert may not have any support from her family in those regards, and even her wali at the masjid may not know the guy, so she ends up with a loser.

In your case, what her family did to you was not right, but you expressed sincerity and were serious about the matter. But I still stand with my word that she needs to be wary of certain people. It seems that with you it was more of a cultural issue. I'm not speaking about that, obviously the age gap is not an issue for either one of them, but whether he was older or younger, she needs to be wary of who she meets and is eager to marry her.

aflawedbeing
10-17-2015, 09:40 PM
It's not that it's a one track minded view, but as a female and new convert she should be wary about certain things. Men will try to take advantage of her and treat her badly because her knowledge in islam is still blooming.
Sure, and as I mentioned in my last post, I'm not here to diss or diminish our concern for our dear sister in Islam. Masha'Allah, our collective concern shows our care and that is indeed heartening.
I just don't know why our views have such a cultural slant in a way irrelevant to the deen and why the 'Man must be older than woman' crud is sticking out in almost every post. That, in no way, needs to be the case - so why not leave it out and not directly link our concern to it (as has been done)?

And for the third time I advise the sister pray Istikhara and use her better judgement - approach with caution for sure!
Among all the doom and gloom there are brothers out there, and this MAY one of them, who sought out a revert sister for the ajar and beauty that comes from teaching her the deen. One who wants an older sister for completely sincere reasons - or didn;t even look at her age.

Allahu alim. 70 excuses and all that stuff.

May Allah swt grant you what's best sister.

But again, do it in a halal manner, exercise caution at all times, and don't be 'emotionally invested' to the point that it blinds your judgement.
All in all, have Tawakkul. :)

Alpha Dude
10-17-2015, 10:14 PM
If it's the same younger guy you mentioned in a previous thread of yours, where you say he is from another country, it would be wise to not let emotion overrule your caution. Due diligence is very important here as a lot of people will do anything to get residency and such sham marriages are too common.

You mention in your previous thread that you are a hopeless romantic - seriously, don't let that blind you. Temper it with cautiousness.

aamuslim
10-17-2015, 11:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aflawedbeing
Uh. No.

Speak for yourself don't speak for 'we men'.
When I was seeking marriage I was looking for maturity, and was while not being too discriminate leaning towards older sisters.

I wound up being screwed over by the very cultural stigma in your post, because one sister's (who mutually wanted to marry me, as was much older, and we were citizens of the same country) family held such closed minded views dear.
This is close to me, and something I'll help my son with when he's old enough to get it, because astaghfiruAllah, that scar (more so the petty unislamic reasoning) took a long while to heal - I was hurt because it's not how Muslims are supposed to be. Especially to trivialise something as important as marriage.

In the end, it's neither here nor there that my wife who was naseeb for me wound up being the same age.

Personally, if I were a 35 year old man seeking out a 24 year old woman, to me it'd feel wrong and almost predatory. I know it's not always the case, I suppose we all have biases...I'd also hold any 'older man' seeking out my daughter with the same scrutiny.

Older men use younger women - younger men use older women.
But between all the horror stories and jahiliyya scare campaigns, we ignore the largest group of men, those that regardless of age treat all women like queens.

WHY ARE THE ANSWERS IN THIS THREAD SO 'ONE-TRACK MINDED' Subhan'Allah.

I'm not dissing our right to be concerned for our sister, but all in all, I find it troubling we're not telling her to pray Istikhara and are jumping to judging this brother so readily especially for being younger. Whereas if it were a 50 year old being all pervy we'd all be like 'Hah. That's what a man is like.'

This is embodying why young brothers (early 20's) are struggling with their desires and can't get married, and why we have so many depressed older sisters who've given up for being 'past their best before date'.

The Ummah is a body, and if a marriage is halal it's fine - get with the program.
Sallam brother,

When I mentioned 'we men', I meant and should have put, 'we men in general'.. I was talking about men in general and I think you would agree to that. We know Islamically age barrier is not of any concern in our religion, but the age gap talk is not something that is limited to a specific culture within the Muslims only.

To you 'it'd feel wrong and almost predatory,' but Islamically no one should be feeling wrong about seeking someone younger or older. Women generally seek men their age or older because in general they would hypothetically be more mature and would be stable financially to support a wife and family.

The 'young brothers (early 20's) are struggling with their desires and can't get married', well you can bring the younger 14 and 15 years old brothers also into this category as Islamically their case in wishing to get married shouldn't be different either from someone in their 20's. But it comes down to lack of financial solvency for the brothers in general, and the unreasonable x, y, z variables coming in from the girls side leading them to the 'older sisters' phase.

I was not judging the brother in question as we don't even have any information about him, only letting her know of the preference of men in general, not in specific. In specific, even if this sister was 35 having multiple children with her, then accordingly Islamically this shouldn't matter much to anyone wishing to marry her because they have found something in her that draws them to her and the decision should also be the same in this case if her age was not 35 but 55.

Everyone would agree in that its upon her to perform Istikhara; Istikhara also entails upon her to seek advise in such matters and then make a decision that she would be most comfortable with.

aflawedbeing
10-18-2015, 10:51 AM
Sure.
Don't get me wrong, I see your points. I wasn't disputing them per se just trying to balance power and make it clear such things are far from universal. :)

We are all advising from our own angle, which, if any of our approaches is any help, is fantastic, no?
So long as we are all well intentioned (which I believe we visibily are), speaking with the sister's best interests at heart (this too) and advising her to KEEP IT HALAL (surprisingly something so many of us struggle to do.)

Love you for the sake of Allah (swt), bro.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!