/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Should i Quit University?

cindy4020
10-18-2015, 12:29 AM
Assalam alekum

Disclaimer: I'm really sorry that this is so long.

So I completed my first year at university studying Philosophy, and had to take a tuition fee loan out for this, I feel like I'm still planning on completing my degree. I will still need to take out the tuition fee loan for the next two years. Everyone around me acts like university is okay, because education is so important, and that it's fine to take out a loan because there's no alternative. My family can definitely not afford the fees upfront, and would probably be upset if I dropped out. Saying that, I know they'd accept it, just not be too happy about it.

I probably won't even be earning enough in the future to repay the loan/interest back, I don't know if that makes it better/worse, and I've also heard that the charging of interest is the wrong element, whereas I'm being charged interest, and not vice versa. Don't know If there's any truth in that. Practically every Muslim I know has gone to university and has had to take out a loan.

It's too late for me to change to a free NHS funded degree now, plus I wouldn't do that just for the sake of it because they're really demanding I just really don't know what to do with my life academically, and I feel like I don't have an alternative except university. I prefer and enjoy studying over working, and I've always wanted to go to university. I guess I can get a part time job, and pay off my fees that way, but I'm thinking, is it really worth paying that much for studying, when my university degree isn't exactly ridden with career prospects.

I just don't know what to do. I know people are going to say, just quit university...but it's really not that easy. I don't know what I would then do. Seriously. University starts in 3 weeks. And I can't really discuss this with my family/friends, since practically everyone thinks it's fine to go to university with the interest based loan. So I don't know where else to turn/who to ask, and I feel like... what if I'm making excuses to justify studying at university. And it really scares me. Islam comes first in my life, and that goes without saying.

​jazakallah for reading this long post and replying. Any advice on this matter, I would really appreciate it. Apologies for any typos, I'm quite tired lol.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
10-18-2015, 12:53 AM
Assalamu Alaikum,

If you're in the US, sign up for scholarships, financial aid, and if you must, you can get a subsidized loan (interest will not accrue as long as you're in school at least half time, and you will not have to make payments til 6 months after graduation).

Otherwise, you can find a job part time and do schooling part time until you finish your degree.

cindy4020
10-18-2015, 01:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum,

If you're in the US, sign up for scholarships, financial aid, and if you must, you can get a subsidized loan (interest will not accrue as long as you're in school at least half time, and you will not have to make payments til 6 months after graduation).

Otherwise, you can find a job part time and do schooling part time until you finish your degree.
Here in UK we get financial aid scholarships etc, loans, grants, the problem is tuition fee is a riba loan. our system is better than yours i was so surprised when my cousin said they gotta strt paying their loan back asap after graduation. basically here... any uni loans aren't like bank loans, so u graduate, don't pay em back till u earn over 21grand i think it is, n then its like 5 pounds a month or summat, n its scrapped after 30 yrz if not paid back, not real loans that anyone wud chase, a bit only automatically taken if earn over certain amount.

but that was digressing since that's not the issue lol. the riba loan is, plus everything else.

M.I.A.
10-18-2015, 01:26 AM
existential crisis..

studying philosophy.

:{| ....fantastic.

i think most of your points should have been thought about way before you started university. not being patronising.

the only thing you should worry about after completing your first year is if its right for you, if you enjoy the course or if its something your passionate about.

dont worry about student loans too much, if you dont pay them back within 10 years of graduating they sort of say forget about it.

although its based on inflation so you could sort of pay them back for a while and if things dont work out...owe them just a much as when you started.

fogeddabout'it

:|

im sure there are job prospects for most if not all degrees :|

chase your lecturers, make use of university services.. careers department etc.. and generally ask for advice.

find out about job prospects asap as some of them require experience way before you can even apply.. and sometimes a degree is just a foot in the door..

so you really have to think about what you want to do "irl"

get some work experience, let them know what your doing and if its acceptable long term.

or not.

worst case scenario you end up at a job interview and they want to know why you left uni after one year.

i have no idea what an nhs funded degree is but im sure that its worth a shot pushing for it..

i got onto a masters degree without a-levels...

flunked in the end but what are you gonna do?

..existential crisis.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Celebrimbor
10-18-2015, 05:54 AM
One thing I've learnt in Islam is that dealing with riba based loans for studies is that, you've declared WAR with Allah and His messenger. Ermmm, I really don't like the sound of it. I mean like, that's it.. You're done.

I remember the story goes like, Ibn `Abbas said that "On the Day of Resurrection, those who consume Riba will be told, `take up arms for war.''' Then he recited the verse "And if you do not do it, then take a notice of war from Allah and His Messenger".

Now, I say this not to discourage you from continuing your studies but to save your deen, your akhirah and your dunya. I don't know much about the major you're attending or how good is it, but is it possible to change major to whats more useful in your community ? If this is the major you prefer, enjoy and wish to continue till graduation, then do so. Regarding the loans, you must seek an alternative without interest. My cousins in UK would borrow money from relatives, work part time and return the money the exact amount. I don't want to be sure but I suppose there has to be some sort of riba free loans you can get in UK. Insist your family to co-operate and inform them to ask relatives, family friends, friends, uncles, aunties etc for money and you will pay them. There is no easy way to do this in order to win this dunya and akhirah. You will need to work hard, strive and struggle to meet your demans/wishes.

You do not want the angel of death to knock on your door while you're dealing with riba and in debt whislt aware of its evil against the Lord. This is the dead end. And if anyone tells you that you can just continue consuming riba and repent at the same time so Allah will forgive you, well Allah have something to say about that, "And of no effect is the repentance of those who continue to do evil deeds until death faces one of them and he says: Now I repent"

Here are few tips Insha'Allah.

http://islamqa.org/hanafi/darulfiqh/76432

http://islamqa.org/hanafi/askimam/2951

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!