/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Social Media: Should I tweet, post or delete?

Ridwaan Ravat
10-19-2015, 06:42 PM
While most people understand the basic etiquette of real-world interactions, many have yet to understand how to behave when using social media.

Social media has made it trendy to tell just about everyone where you are and what you are doing in a way that no one regards as either intrusive or objectionable.

The situation gets worse when private, intimate or sensitive information about others is shared without their permission or knowledge.

There seems to be an obsession to electronically capture and share everything that happens without considering whether the victim is in an accident, giving birth, being robbed or killed.

This is a serious violation of another person's dignity and privacy.

The virtual world is easily accessible, ungoverned, addictive and fast becoming the societal norm.

People have become insensitive to information they share, sparing no thought for its authenticity or consequences.

Poor communicational conduct is not only against basic social norms but also a violation of Islamic principles of speaking the truth, seeking permission, privacy and trust.

To maintain a balance in our usage of social media and protect ourselves and others from harm, the following points should to be adhered to:

• Every meal you are having or random thought is not post-worthy.
• Before hitting "send," "post" or "tweet," ask yourself what value your comment offers and what your motivation might be as an end result.
• Do not post sensitive information of people caught in an affliction or tragedy.
• Broadcasting unverified comments and statements that can be explosive and lead to social disorder and provocation.
• Grievances and frustrations need not be vented on social media. Settle the issue privately. If you are posting a matter of public concern verify the authenticity and beware of slander and gossip.
• Consider whether you will be comfortable if an Imam, elder, spouse, or mentor reads and shared your views?
• Social media should be used effectively to maintain bonds with people by being, respectful, helpful, engaging and authentic.

Nabi :saws: said, "It is (part) of the beauty of a man's Islam to leave what does not concern him." (Malik, Ahmad)

Nabi :saws: said, "He who truly believes in Allah and the last Day, should speak good or keep silent." (Bukhari, Muslim)

From Darul Ihsan poster.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strivingobserver98
10-19-2015, 07:28 PM
These points are also useful to follow on forums too :). :jz: for sharing.

BeTheChange
10-19-2015, 08:00 PM
Asalamualykum,

I can't stand social media.

I don't do facebook.

I don't do twitter.

I don't do snapchat.

I prefer human interaction. Much better Alhamdulilah.

Abz2000
10-19-2015, 08:28 PM
here's a positive detail of how it works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8GMlfsbfyg

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!