/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hello, Dan Edge here

DanEdge
10-20-2015, 05:07 AM
Greetings,

My name is Dan Edge. I'm a Cable TV salesperson living in Greenville, South Carolina, USA. My degree is in Philosophy, and though I do not work in an academic field, I've continued my studies through reading, writing, and talking with intelligent friends. I'm currently reading "Islam: A Short History" by Karen Armstrong, and am interested in learning more about the culture and history of Islam. I'm hoping to gain some context on current events in the middle east and around the world. I'll likely not post much, but would like read what others have to say. Thanks to the forum organizers for providing this opportunity to further my studies.

Sincerely,

--Dan Edge

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
10-20-2015, 05:13 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Wishing you an enlightening stay.... I do hope you will post things you discover, find interesting or perhaps even a question or ten.. :D

:peace:

DanEdge
10-20-2015, 05:27 AM
Greenhill,

Thanks very much for the welcome. I'm currently looking through the "Discover Islam" board for interesting topics and references for futher study. I'd love to post some questions, but I haven't read the Qur'an since I was a teenager and have little knowledge of Islamic culture. I hardly know what to ask. I've already noted that "Greenhill" is a kind and polite representative of the site, on this and many other posts. Thanks for that.

Sincerely,

--Dan Edge

strivingobserver98
10-20-2015, 05:52 AM
Welcome to IB Dan :).

I have studied philosophy too for a short while though, really in-depth subject and a lot to learn.

Awesome job you have there! With salesman job you get tons of experience which is useful for any entrepreneur. I would love to learn some sales skills you, we have a "Business and finance" section on the forum which is for money related topics.

By the way are you looking into Islam just for general interest and curiosity or just to understand current events? Islam is a beautiful religion and way of life, so feel free to look all aspects of it even further :).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
DanEdge
10-20-2015, 06:12 AM
Hello Sir,

I don't know how to type your name.

I am interested in Islam for general interest and curiosity, as well as better understanding of current events. My primary interest is in Islamic history and culture. Islam has come a long way from its humble roots, and is now a significant force in the modern world. Where did it come from? How did it spread? How has it endured? How have followers of Islam changed to meet the challenges of the modern world? I have a million questions in my mind.

Part of my motivation to come here is to better understand the ambivalence between the US and the Arab world. Why would a Muslim want to attack me or my country? Why would some of my fellow countrymen want to wage war against an entire religion? What is the historical context that would give rise to such misunderstanding? A million more questions. I may never answer these, but it will be fun to try :)

Thanks for the welcome.

Sincerely,

--Dan Edge

DanEdge
10-20-2015, 06:21 AM
Greetings All,

Doing some research on the web. For other interested parties: my hometown of Greenville, SC has an Islamic Society of Greenville with a web page for non-Muslims. I'm not allowed to post links as a new member, but a Google search should find it easily.

Thanks,

--Dan Edge

strivingobserver98
10-20-2015, 06:26 AM
Hello Dan,

My name is in Arabic it says "Farhan". So you can call me that :D.

Oh ok thank you for your reply. Something that can help you is watching through Islamic lectures. When I got more serious into practising Islam, they helped me a lot to answer the millions of questions I had at the time. Those are actually really good questions, I hope you find all your answers :).

strivingobserver98
10-20-2015, 06:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by DanEdge
Greetings All,

Doing some research on the web. For other interested parties: my hometown of Greenville, SC has an Islamic Society of Greenville with a web page for non-Muslims. I'm not allowed to post links as a new member, but a Google search should find it easily.

Thanks,

--Dan Edge
I've taken a look at the website. You should definitely go meet up with the imam there and discuss some of your questions. They have a Facebook page so contacting them should be easy.

DanEdge
10-20-2015, 06:40 AM
Hey Farhan,

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement. Best wishes to you.

Sincerely,

--Dan Edge

sister herb
10-20-2015, 06:52 AM
Peace with you Dan

Welcome to forum. Hopely this place is beneficial to you.

aflawedbeing
10-20-2015, 10:10 AM
Yo Dan.
You seem cool but I won't buy cable off you.

BUT WELCOME.

IslamicRevival
10-20-2015, 10:53 AM
Dan the man! Welcome sir :)

Eric H
10-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Greetings and peace be with you DanEdge; and welcome to the forum from a Catholic;

I have been around on this forum for ten years now, I have found most people here to be helpful warm and kind, it is also well moderated.

My primary interest is in Islamic history and culture. Islam has come a long way from its humble roots, and is now a significant force in the modern world. Where did it come from? How did it spread? How has it endured? How have followers of Islam changed to meet the challenges of the modern world?
All good questions, just start a thread.

Part of my motivation to come here is to better understand the ambivalence between the US and the Arab world. Why would a Muslim want to attack me or my country? Why would some of my fellow countrymen want to wage war against an entire religion? What is the historical context that would give rise to such misunderstanding? A million more questions. I may never answer these, but it will be fun to try :)
I think if you leave the word 'religion' out of your question, and instead, search for justice for all people, and greater interfaith relations, these are the questions that will bring us towards peace.

Despite all our diverse beliefs, we are all created by the same God, the same God hears all our prayers and we have a duty to care for all of God's creation, that has to mean caring for each other, despite our differences.

In the spirit of praying for justice and peace for all people.

Eric

DanEdge
10-22-2015, 06:28 AM
Thanks very much for the welcome, all. I will continue to read through posts of interest and respond with questions as they come.

Sincerely,

--Dan Edge

Umm Abed
10-22-2015, 07:34 AM
Hi welcome to the forum and may you be enlightened with the light of Islam!

Thanks for joining!:)

M.I.A.
10-22-2015, 01:00 PM
Hello Sir,

I don't know how to type your name.

I am interested in Islam for general interest and curiosity, as well as better understanding of current events. My primary interest is in Islamic history and culture. Islam has come a long way from its humble roots, and is now a significant force in the modern world. Where did it come from? How did it spread? How has it endured? How have followers of Islam changed to meet the challenges of the modern world? I have a million questions in my mind.

Thanks for the welcome.

Sincerely,

--Dan Edge

I'm afraid that it seems like any quest for peace needs to be prepared for war.

A man once told me that the world won't let you hold your tongue..

I guess only time will tell, its a learning experience.

Welcome to the forum, I'd ask for free cable but you live on the other side of the world :p

...I'm kidding.. I'm not into free stuff.

I hope you can find it within yourself to reach some good answers.

DanEdge
11-25-2018, 01:41 AM
Greetings All,

It's been quite some time since my last post (over a year), so I though I'd reintroduce myself. I still live in Greenville, South Carolina, USA. Currently working as a freelancer doing IT installations, sales consulting, technical writing, and other fun things. I have very fond memories of participating in Islamic Board over the years. Looking forward to more fascinating discussions. I hope that all of you are happy and doing well.

Sincerely,

--Dan Edge

azc
11-25-2018, 02:56 AM
Greetings All,

It's been quite some time since my last post (over a year), so I though I'd reintroduce myself. I still live in Greenville, South Carolina, USA. Currently working as a freelancer doing IT installations, sales consulting, technical writing, and other fun things. I have very fond memories of participating in Islamic Board over the years. Looking forward to more fascinating discussions. I hope that all of you are happy and doing well.

Sincerely,

--Dan Edge
welcome back, Dan Edge.

Hope, you are fine

fschmidt
11-25-2018, 09:07 AM
Unfortunately there has been a decline in free speech in this forum since you were last here, so I no longer participate much here. It seems that the only people left who support free speech are Quranists and traditional Anabaptists.

azc
11-25-2018, 10:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by fschmidt
Unfortunately there has been a decline in free speech in this forum since you were last here, so I no longer participate much here. It seems that the only people left who support free speech are Quranists and traditional Anabaptists.
It means you don't want to abide by forum rules.

Even I was given warning by a moderator for making a bit of indecent comments against you last year.
Why...?
Because it is against forum rules.

Every user has to abide by forum rules to keep the bilateral decorum intact.

fschmidt
11-25-2018, 11:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
It means you don't want to abide by forum rules.
Not true. Which rule did I break in criticizing Ezra? Background:

https://www.islamicboard.com/feedbac...ml#post3001075

This forum needs to change - Page 2
Salaam and peace to all This forum is getting more restrictive each day and needs a mental change to better itself. Mods delete the posts and close the...

azc
11-25-2018, 01:16 PM
Not true. Which rule did I break in criticizing Ezra? Background:

https://www.islamicboard.com/feedbac...ml#post3001075

This forum needs to change - Page 2
Salaam and peace to all This forum is getting more restrictive each day and needs a mental change to better itself. Mods delete the posts and close the...
wikipedia isn't a reliable source.

DanEdge
11-26-2018, 10:48 PM
Greetings,

When I first started posting here, I had several posts deleted and more than a few others editted for content. I was non-plussed at first, but quickly learned that with a few reminders about proper manners and conduct, I could feel free to express myself on virtually any topic. I have participated in any number of (sometimes heated) debates on IB, including: evolution, international relations, the Quran, comparative religion, science and religion, talking to women, and a lot more. While I haven't participated in over a year, I'd be very surprised if things have changed so much that free, intelligent, minds are no longer welcome.

--Dan Edge

fschmidt
11-26-2018, 11:04 PM
If you don't go deep, you will probably be safe. Since I attend mosque and understand core issues, I am not allowed to speak freely here since I would threaten the basic prejudices of modern sunni Islam. Thankfully my mosque is much more tolerant of free speech.

Alamgir
11-27-2018, 01:40 AM
If you don't go deep, you will probably be safe. Since I attend mosque and understand core issues, I am not allowed to speak freely here since I would threaten the basic prejudices of modern sunni Islam. Thankfully my mosque is much more tolerant of free speech.
:cry:

DanEdge
11-27-2018, 08:24 AM
I just read the thread you all referred to. I may have thoughts add to that discussion. I thank you for your input, however I ask that you please defer further discussion on this topic off of my introduction thread.

Thanks,

Dan Edge

Eric H
11-27-2018, 08:30 AM
Greetings and peace be with you DanEdge;

Welcome back from your year long break, what brought you back again?

In the spirit of searching for a greatest meaning of 'One God'

Eric

DanEdge
11-27-2018, 08:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you DanEdge;

Welcome back from your year long break, what brought you back again?

In the spirit of searching for a greatest meaning of 'One God'

Eric
Eric,

Thanks so much for your welcome. I have had a lot troubles this past year, and have isolated myself from friends and family. I am attempting to reconnect with loved ones and familiar communities.

IB holds a special place in my heart because of the warmth of the welcome I received during my initial visit and, more importantly, the significant changes of heart I experienced due to making connections with the local and worldwide Muslim community. At IB, I feel comfortable that I am among friends.

Sincerely,

Dan Edge

Zafran
11-28-2018, 05:44 AM
salaam

welcome back.

Eric H
11-28-2018, 08:35 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Dan,

IB holds a special place in my heart because of the warmth of the welcome I received during my initial visit and, more importantly, the significant changes of heart I experienced due to making connections with the local and worldwide Muslim community. At IB, I feel comfortable that I am among friends.
Feelings are a strange thing, they leave us with the feeling that we have to do something. It has been said that inside each and everyone of us is a 'God shaped hole'. We can try filling this hole with the things of the world like cars, homes, relationships, holidays or any other passion that drives us to do something. But these worldly desires still leave us feeling that something is missing.

The 'God shaped hole can only be filled with the things of God - Allah; and to me it feels that God has placed these feelings about the Muslim community within you for a reason = you have to do something.

May you be blessed with a peace that surpasses all understanding,

Eric

sister herb
11-28-2018, 09:06 PM
Hello

Nice to see you again. I enjoyed your earlier posts a lot and wish to see them more again. I think we need here many different kind of people to take part to discussions.

DanEdge
11-29-2018, 07:30 PM
Nice to "hear your voice" again, Sister :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!