/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamization of Bangladesh

LusoHijabi
10-27-2015, 09:33 AM
I've been thinking about the possiblity of "Islamizing" and implementing Islam in Bangladesh.

Bangladesh like many muslim countries has had an "Islamic Revival" (albeit at a slower pace in Bangladesh) where the population is becoming more religious and conservative even though the state is secular. For example Islam being made the state religion by Ershad, state funding for religious institutions.

Also on a social and cultural level with more women wearing hijab, niqab and abayas aside from the more tradtional South Asian clothing like the Sari, mosque attendance increasing, Islamic phrases being commonly used in the language, The rise of Islamic NGOs and microfinance groups.

Democratization has also helped Islamization as it meant Islamist groups and activists like Jamaat e-Islami had free space to be active in civil society to spread their ideas easily without persecution, especially with social media and easy access to information. For example these groups hold hijab fairs to promote the hijab and make it popular among women in Bangladesh and it works as more and women are wearing hijab.

I feel Bangladesh is at a crossroads, in that the culture is changing and becoming more Islamic and Conservative. It has to choose between Islam or Bengali Secular nationalism which is still a big influence there.

There is the beginnings of a culture clash between these two ideas which I feel will change Bangladesh fundamentally. The issue over the bloggers is a good example of this as they do upset the sensitivities of many Bangladeshis eventhough they may not condone the murders. Another issue is legalized prostitution.

Also many secular Bengalis are noticing this Islamic resurgence. For example in this article this Bengali woman when she goes back to Bangladesh after some time is shocked to see how Islam is becoming more influential how popular the hijab and niqab has become:

here's a mini excrept from a New York Times article titled "End of Secular Bangladesh"

On the way, my 13-year-old daughter observed, “I thought it would be much more colorful. Are there no women in Dhaka?” Looking around, I realized that most women were covered in black burqas or hijabs — a style that I had seen in such large numbers only in the Middle East. Many of their male companions wore long white dishdashas and skullcaps.

I remembered that stretch as being one of the most colorful streets, with shop fronts spilling over with spices and trinkets, men and women loudly bargaining to get the best deal. Even in Dhaka’s swanky areas, I was dismayed to find stores filled with hijabs and full-face coverings, with signs on the front windows reading “For True Muslim Women.”

In my view, I think Islam will eventually win out in Bangladesh and it will see Islamic reforms like in Malaysia in terms of popular culture, economy, civil laws, social and moral values, maybe implementation of sharia? and this will all be done through the democratic process like in Malaysia.

However it wont be instant and it will be a gradual process with a series of defining moments where we will Bangladesh change before our very eyes.

Islamist groups like Jamaat e-Islami do suffer a bit of an image problem in Bangladesh over its role in 1971 war of independence against and the fact it was on Pakistan's side. so it has that to overcome.

Well thats my thoughts, what are your thoughts?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strivingobserver98
10-31-2015, 02:30 AM
So much potential of the Muslims of Bangladesh. One of the largest gatherings of Muslims is Bishwa Ijtema.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishwa_Ijtema
is an annual Aalmi Ijtema held at Tongi, Bangladesh by the river Turag. It is the 3rd largest Muslim congregation in the world after the Arbaeen gathering in Kerbala, Iraq[1] and Hajj. The event focuses on prayers and supplication and does not allow political discussion.[2] The local police estimated the number of attendees of 2007 ijtema to be 3 million[3] while in 2010 the number of attendees was 5 million.
One of the best ways to help Bangladesh is through education. We need to make clear the secular values of groups like Awami League. Don't you find it strange, in a country that is 99% Muslim, that Awami League is in power?

I don't support any political party there currently, corruption is prevalent over there. Because of image crisis of Jamat e Islami, do you think there needs to emerge a new Islamic party with no background history?

LusoHijabi
11-13-2015, 02:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by فرحان

One of the best ways to help Bangladesh is through education. We need to make clear the secular values of groups like Awami League. Don't you find it strange, in a country that is 99% Muslim, that Awami League is in power?

I don't support any political party there currently, corruption is prevalent over there. Because of image crisis of Jamat e Islami, do you think there needs to emerge a new Islamic party with no background history?
Sorry for taking a while to reply. I agree education is key for Bangladesh.

Yes I do think that a new Islamic party has to emerge in Bangladesh that does social and political work. I think it has to be taken in steps so for now the focus should be more on social than political power as such. We can live with 2, 3 or 4 MPs in the parliament but be very active in civil society.

So, propagating Islam and trying to make Islam have a bigger part in the culture and day to day life of Bangladesh and build a support base. Then this will mean the new party will have more MPs in the parliament which means we can slowly have less corrupt governance and governance more friendly to Islam.

you see what I;m saying?

strivingobserver98
11-13-2015, 02:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by LusoHijabi
So, propagating Islam and trying to make Islam have a bigger part in the culture and day to day life of Bangladesh and build a support base. Then this will mean the new party will have more MPs in the parliament which means we can slowly have less corrupt governance and governance more friendly to Islam.

you see what I;m saying?
Yeah I get your point. What methods do you think can be used to propagate Islam in order to build a support base?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
umairlooms
11-14-2015, 11:20 AM
I was watching Ysair Qadhis video on coming of the Madhi. The Muslim world will be very different .....

LusoHijabi
11-14-2015, 02:35 PM
Yeah I get your point. What methods do you think can be used to propagate Islam in order to build a support base?
I think stuff like. Providing services that government is unable to provide for the poor like medical care, schools, community support groups.

Also run campaigns such as promoting hijab and Islamic dress, it can be tailored to the Bengali culture so long as it doesn't contravene Islam. Also campaign against prostitution and sex trafficking which leads to exploitation of women. And against political corruption.

Also control Student unions and trade unions where one can popularize Islam among the youth and among workers whether garment workers or doctors and lawyers. We can also fight for better working and living conditions for workers but motivated by Islam.

These are just a few ideas. This will help produce an Islamic society in Bangladesh even if the government is secular.

shafat10
11-14-2015, 06:13 PM
I've been thinking about the possiblity of "Islamizing" and implementing Islam in Bangladesh.

Bangladesh like many muslim countries has had an "Islamic Revival" (albeit at a slower pace in Bangladesh) where the population is becoming more religious and conservative even though the state is secular. For example Islam being made the state religion by Ershad, state funding for religious institutions.

Also on a social and cultural level with more women wearing hijab, niqab and abayas aside from the more tradtional South Asian clothing like the Sari, mosque attendance increasing, Islamic phrases being commonly used in the language, The rise of Islamic NGOs and microfinance groups.

Democratization has also helped Islamization as it meant Islamist groups and activists like Jamaat e-Islami had free space to be active in civil society to spread their ideas easily without persecution, especially with social media and easy access to information. For example these groups hold hijab fairs to promote the hijab and make it popular among women in Bangladesh and it works as more and women are wearing hijab.

I feel Bangladesh is at a crossroads, in that the culture is changing and becoming more Islamic and Conservative. It has to choose between Islam or Bengali Secular nationalism which is still a big influence there.

There is the beginnings of a culture clash between these two ideas which I feel will change Bangladesh fundamentally. The issue over the bloggers is a good example of this as they do upset the sensitivities of many Bangladeshis eventhough they may not condone the murders. Another issue is legalized prostitution.

Also many secular Bengalis are noticing this Islamic resurgence. For example in this article this Bengali woman when she goes back to Bangladesh after some time is shocked to see how Islam is becoming more influential how popular the hijab and niqab has become:

here's a mini excrept from a New York Times article titled "End of Secular Bangladesh"

On the way, my 13-year-old daughter observed, “I thought it would be much more colorful. Are there no women in Dhaka?” Looking around, I realized that most women were covered in black burqas or hijabs — a style that I had seen in such large numbers only in the Middle East. Many of their male companions wore long white dishdashas and skullcaps.

I remembered that stretch as being one of the most colorful streets, with shop fronts spilling over with spices and trinkets, men and women loudly bargaining to get the best deal. Even in Dhaka’s swanky areas, I was dismayed to find stores filled with hijabs and full-face coverings, with signs on the front windows reading “For True Muslim Women.”

In my view, I think Islam will eventually win out in Bangladesh and it will see Islamic reforms like in Malaysia in terms of popular culture, economy, civil laws, social and moral values, maybe implementation of sharia? and this will all be done through the democratic process like in Malaysia.

However it wont be instant and it will be a gradual process with a series of defining moments where we will Bangladesh change before our very eyes.

Islamist groups like Jamaat e-Islami do suffer a bit of an image problem in Bangladesh over its role in 1971 war of independence against and the fact it was on Pakistan's side. so it has that to overcome.

Well thats my thoughts, what are your thoughts?
Sister, are you a Bangladeshi?
If you are, then great observation and views. I enjoyed reading your article, and being a Bangladeshi myself, am happy that Bangladesh is trying its best to become a true Muslim country.
Though the ones at authority now have a different mentality, but the citizens are what makes up the country, not the government. So ultimately, citizens are more influential than government, and Bangladesh will turn to what the citizens want, which is, a true Muslim country.
God bless.

LusoHijabi
11-14-2015, 08:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shafat10
Sister, are you a Bangladeshi?
If you are, then great observation and views. I enjoyed reading your article, and being a Bangladeshi myself, am happy that Bangladesh is trying its best to become a true Muslim country.
Though the ones at authority now have a different mentality, but the citizens are what makes up the country, not the government. So ultimately, citizens are more influential than government, and Bangladesh will turn to what the citizens want, which is, a true Muslim country.
God bless.

No I am not Bangladeshi.

I am Lebanese Brazilian/Azeri. How do you see developments in Bangladesh? Have you been? Is it becoming more Islamic?

strivingobserver98
11-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Providing services that government is unable to provide for the poor like medical care, schools, community support groups.
Yeah and fixing those pot hole roads too! Far too many of them, community will be very grateful by doing that.

Also run campaigns such as promoting hijab and Islamic dress, it can be tailored to the Bengali culture so long as it doesn't contravene Islam. Also campaign against prostitution and sex trafficking which leads to exploitation of women. And against political corruption.
I was surprised to see billboards on the rise in Bangladesh. But it's all adverts of Sari shops with images of uncovered woman. The Muslim entrepreneurs of Bangladesh should buy these billboards off, and maybe have reminders in Bengali. Also showing importance of Hijab.

Also control Student unions and trade unions where one can popularize Islam among the youth and among workers whether garment workers or doctors and lawyers. We can also fight for better working and living conditions for workers but motivated by Islam.
Like your thinking, that's a great idea!

I know this might sound crazy, but I was thinking of this city idea. Read on :D...

I call this "Darus Salam" :Mosque:

Basically have our own city/village financed by us and controlled by us. The whole place will be abiding to the Shariah. There will be a main masjid, with an Ameer Ul Mumineen who controls the major decisions. We will allow any Muslims/Non Muslims to enter and see how peaceful the place is, we will lead by example. To live in this city you will have to submit an application form which has to be approved by the Ameer Ul Mumineen. All the kids in this city will be taught best character and high aspirations. We will have loads of scholars to guide the community. The people who live here will strive for excellence in all aspects of life, some may become hafidh/aalim and torchbearers of the Ummah. We will show the rest of Bangladesh who we are by excellence. Compared to the rest of Bangladesh we will have clean street, traffic system, no potholes, no violence, the best of people etc. To protect this city we will need military and our own police force. What if someone just walks in the city and causes havoc? To stop this we will have our own military guards, equipment and protection. To enter this city you will have to go through security checks at the gate of Darus Salam. And of course in addition we will have our own Islamic talks daily, economy system (Marketplace) and things for the community.

What do you think of this idea? Will Shiekh Hasina allow it or is this something prohibited? If not we can still make a city but the government may tell us no military is allowed. Bangladesh isn't like UK, you can literally build anything anywhere you want. With permission of course.

LusoHijabi
11-15-2015, 11:53 AM
Yeah and fixing those pot hole roads too! Far too many of them, community will be very grateful by doing that.

I was surprised to see billboards on the rise in Bangladesh. But it's all adverts of Sari shops with images of uncovered woman. The Muslim entrepreneurs of Bangladesh should buy these billboards off, and maybe have reminders in Bengali. Also showing importance of Hijab.

Like your thinking, that's a great idea!

I know this might sound crazy, but I was thinking of this city idea. Read on :D...

I call this "Darus Salam" :Mosque:

Basically have our own city/village financed by us and controlled by us. The whole place will be abiding to the Shariah. There will be a main masjid, with an Ameer Ul Mumineen who controls the major decisions. We will allow any Muslims/Non Muslims to enter and see how peaceful the place is, we will lead by example. To live in this city you will have to submit an application form which has to be approved by the Ameer Ul Mumineen. All the kids in this city will be taught best character and high aspirations. We will have loads of scholars to guide the community. The people who live here will strive for excellence in all aspects of life, some may become hafidh/aalim and torchbearers of the Ummah. We will show the rest of Bangladesh who we are by excellence. Compared to the rest of Bangladesh we will have clean street, traffic system, no potholes, no violence, the best of people etc. To protect this city we will need military and our own police force. What if someone just walks in the city and causes havoc? To stop this we will have our own military guards, equipment and protection. To enter this city you will have to go through security checks at the gate of Darus Salam. And of course in addition we will have our own Islamic talks daily, economy system (Marketplace) and things for the community.

What do you think of this idea? Will Shiekh Hasina allow it or is this something prohibited? If not we can still make a city but the government may tell us no military is allowed. Bangladesh isn't like UK, you can literally build anything anywhere you want. With permission of course.
I think your idea is a great idea, it can show that an Islamic system can produce benefits. I doubt Hasina will permit this (especially on the police/military point) certainly not on a city scale maybe on a village one. It would anger alot of her secular supporters if she allowed an Islamic city in Bangladesh and it could threaten her power as people could become more Islamic.

It will certainly be good in villages and rural towns. The living and working conditions for the people will definetly improve. Do you feel Bangladesh will become more Islamic?

Physicist
11-15-2015, 01:38 PM
I know nothing about Banglqdesh reality but like the idea of Islamic City very much!
There are many examples when people were joining into groups and creating settlements.
Most are failed because of wrong motives and irrelevant expectations (kind of hippy sects)
The one, more or less stable one i've been, is Auroville in India, there are some issues but it's cool.
May be Islamic City will work better. Just make it normal settlement, don't demand too much.
The biggest concern is how it's idea will be accepted by government and the neighbourhoods.

BlueOwl358
11-15-2015, 02:10 PM
If anyone needs a "Cities: Skylines" player I am right here. That is a pretty ingenious idea. If proper funding is received and an agreement with governmental authorities is reached, it could potentially work. But I think separate laws and/or military forces could be a bit of a hassle.

Physicist
11-15-2015, 02:36 PM
Sure, own military is not possible.
About police... this can be some compromise, doubt if they would allow gun posession, most of the problems may be being solved inside community, severe cases involving state police. They may demand some taxes or rent, will demand to have some control what is going on inside.
Yep, than calling it Islamic City has not much sense, just another village.

Physicist
11-16-2015, 04:55 AM
Deleted, sorry for offtopic.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!