/* */

PDA

View Full Version : “And days gone by will never return…”

abo mussaab
11-06-2015, 06:20 PM
Collected in the abridged version of al-Khateeb al-Baghdadee’s ‘Iqtida’ al-‘Ilm al-‘Amal’ (p. 43-47), in the chapter titled ‘Rushing to Deeds Before One’s Youth and Health Disappear’:
1 – Ghunaym bin Qays said:
“We would be admonished in the early days of Islaam:
‘O son of Adam! Act during your free time before you become busy, and during your youth before your old age, and during your health before your sickness, and during your stay in this world before the Hereafter, and during your life before your death.’
2 – Ahmad bin Muhammad bin Masrooq at-Toosee said:
“I recited to Mahmood bin al-Hasan:
‘Utilize your youth before it becomes spoiled * And the health of your body before it becomes sick;
And the days of your life before you die * For the one who lives will not live long;
And utilize your free time * Let your nights be spent in some work;
And put something forth, as every man is traveling towards * That which he has put forth…’
3 – ‘Abdullaah bin al-Mubarak said:
“Take advantage of two rak’at to bring you closer to Allaah * If you happen to be relaxing;
And if you intend to speak a vain word * Replace it with a tasbeeh…”
4 – Aboo Muhammad Mansoor bin Muhammad bin ‘Abdullaah al-Azdee chanted to himself:
“Do not belittle an hour that can help you * In which you extend your hand in obedience;
As the living will die, and hopes are a deception * And the affair passes by hour by hour…”
5 – Aboo ‘Abdillaah Ahmad bin Ayyoob chanted to himself:
“In your free time, take advantage of the virtue of bowing in prayer * It might be that your death comes suddenly;
How many healthy ones have you seen without disease * Whose healthy selves disappeared and escaped them…”
6 – Aboo al-Waleed Sulayman bin Khalaf bin Sa’d al-Andaloosee chanted to himself:
“If I knew for certain * That my entire life would last an hour;
Why would I be cheap with it * And not dedicate it to righteousness and obedience?”
7 – Some of the scholars said:
“A group of people invited a man for some food on an extremely hot day. So he said:

‘I am fasting.’
They said:

‘On a day like this?!’
He said:

‘Do you want me to waste my days?’
8 – Aboo Bakr bin Abee ad-Dunya said:
“A group of people invited a man for some food. So he said:

‘I am fasting.’
They said:

‘Break your fast today, and fast tomorrow.’
He said:

‘And who will be there for me tomorrow?’
9 – ‘Abdullaah bin al-Mu’taz said:
“Seize the opportunity today, and do not wait for tomorrow, as there is nobody to guarantee tomorrow for you.”
10 – One of Dawood at-Ta’ee’s brothers said to him:
“O Aboo Sulayman! You know the kinship between us. So advise me!”
So his eyes began to water, and he said:

“My brother! Indeed, the night and day are stages that the people pass through – one stage at a time – until they reach the end of their journey. So if you are able to put forth for every day some provision for each stage, do so. And if your journey is cut short, prepare for your journey what you can, and fulfill what you are able of this affair, because it is as if its end will catch you by surprise. I do not know anyone who is more wasteful in this affair than I am.”
He then got up and left.
11 – ‘Umar bin Muhammad bin Ahmad recited:
“You are in a state of heedlessness and false hope * You do now know when your end will come;
Do not be deceived by good health * For it is from the most painful of flaws;
Every soul has for its day * An awakening to cut off its incessant hope;
So do that which is good and exert yourself * Before you are unable to do anything…”
12 – ‘Abdullaah bin Muhammad al-Ash’aree al-Madinee recited:
“If yesterday you fell into a mistake * Then find some good to perform while you are thankful;
And do not delay a good deed from today to tomorrow * Tomorrow might arrive while you are deprived;
Because if you take care of today, it will benefit you * And days gone by will never return…”

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.