/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it permissible to say "Happy Diwali"?

Ridwaan Ravat
11-11-2015, 05:14 PM
Question: Is it permissible for me to wish my non-Muslim neighbour “Happy Diwali”?

Answer: The only acceptable religion to Allah is Islam. Imaan(Belief) demands that we have dislike for Kufr (disbelief) and Shirk(polytheism). By saying “Happy diwali" we are wishing non-Muslims well upon their Kufr and Shirk practices. In the Quraan Allah says: “And do not incline towards the wrongdoers, lest the fire should reach you.” (Surah Hud, verse 113). Hence, it is not permissible to say to a non-Muslim “Happy Diwali”.

In fact, some jurists have stated that there is a fear of one losing one's Imaan if one wishes the adherents of other faiths well in their festivities as this is an expression of complacency towards Kufr.

AND ALLAH KNOWS BEST

By Mufti Yusuf Moosagie

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pygoscelis
11-11-2015, 11:42 PM
Does that work the other way around? Is it considered rude for me to wish you a happy Ramadan or to say "peace be upon you" or copying some other standard Muslim greeting in an attempt to bridge an interfaith barrier and be friendly?

Abz2000
11-12-2015, 12:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Does that work the other way around? Is it considered rude for me to wish you a happy Ramadan or to say "peace be upon you" or copying some other standard Muslim greeting in an attempt to bridge an interfaith barrier and be friendly?
We can all say happy ramadan to you pygo, and you can say it back too.
I'm sure you wouldn't like it if someone said "have a happy time in hell" would you?
Please don't think it is some sort of competition and that people are trying to beat you by giving you the light, it's the difference between the bright light of truth, the dimming lamps, and utter darkness and we wan't you to win also.
Your own faculties of reasoning should easily make you see the truth when you use them since your Creator has made it easy to understand.

syed_z
11-12-2015, 05:40 AM
Salaam...

If we have a hindu neighbor and we know that by saying Happy Diwali to them would make them happy and increase love between our hearts then I don't understand how can something that increases love could be haraam?

Didn't the Prophet (SallAllahu alaihi wassallam) advised us to take care of our neighbors in the words that if you go to sleep full stomach while your neighbor sleeps hungry then we have not truly believed....? Does that hungry neighbor or less fortunate neighbor only includes the one who recites Kalima and others humans, creation of Allah are not included?

Allah (swt) says in the Quran..."When you are greeted with a greeting (of peace), answer with an even better greeting or (at least) with the like thereof. Verily God keeps account of all the things."

If they have always said 'Eid Mubarak' to you and we say Happy Diwali to share their happiness, then that would bring them closer to you and you can then share with them Islamic Guidance, expose them to the teachings of Allah (Swt) and His Messenger (SallAllahu Alaihi Wassallam)...

Saying Happy Diwali does not mean that you indulge in acts of Kufr with them. Thats like saying that they should stop saying Eid Mubarak to us because we will force them to make Salaah in Masjid.... :(

Lets not ask too many questions in Din.....heed the following words of our Beloved Messenger (SallAllahu Alaihi Wassallam)

"Religion is very easy and whoever overburdens himself in his religion will not be able to continue in that way. So you should not be extremists, but try to be near to perfection and receive the good tidings that you will be rewarded; and gain strength by worshipping in the mornings, the nights."

If we don't come close to the non Muslims how will they learn about Islam. Get close to them while holding strongly to the teachings of your Islamic Din (Way of Life) and make them realize that you are the Ummatti of that Messenger sent by the Al Mighty Who declares about him....

Surah Al Qalam "....Behold you have the most beautiful character...."

A couplet from an Urdu Poet....

Aisay Ummatti banon ke Duniya dekh ker sochay
Ummatti aisa hai to Nabi kaisa hoga?

Be such a follower of the Beloved Nabi
That the world wonders "if the follower is such how great the Nabi must be?"

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pygoscelis
11-12-2015, 07:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
Cool.

I'm sure you wouldn't like it if someone said "have a happy time in hell" would you?
If that is all they said? And they said it in a friendly manner? I would burst out in laughter quite honestly. It would be pretty funny.

ajr
11-12-2015, 09:53 AM
i can really understand what you saying...trust me i can...but the mushriks, the idolators...happy diwali? by uttering those words is an acceptance of their way...like i wish you happiness on your festivities of associating partners with Allah..kudos to you...you think by 'playing nice' with them endears their hearts towards Islam....infact id say they more go...i just let him have a share in kufr, jokes on him....

Allah says: Merciful towards believers and hard against unbelief...We can't change the ayahs to suit our daily life, the words of Quran suppose to endear your heart towards truth, my brother...how do you wish someone for paganism? Islam is Haqq...you cant associate the 2...who does that??

Abz2000
11-12-2015, 12:05 PM
There are many ways of being nice and just and righteous with people without participating in a ritual that displeases the Creator and Sustainer of the heavens and the earth, many people respect the fact that Muslims don't bow down before leaders or shake hands with non-mahrams of the opposite gender. Best when a Muslim displays decency, righteousness and control and focuses more on showing the benefits of Islam than trashing everything that doesn't affect him/her and create disdain at every chance.

AhmedGassama
11-12-2015, 12:21 PM
You can maybe wish him that indirectly
like to tell him "Happy Holiday" and not “Happy Diwali”

Because if we want coexistence, we need to build up bridges together.
In each year, muslims in Andalucia wished to their non muslim neighbors happy christmas... and Andalucia is the perfect example of tolerance and coexistence.
And you know that we Muslims can marry a christian woman, so how can't i wish to my wife a happy christmas especially if she wish me a happy eid ? how would this be fair ?
And sometimes also we see that some churches and some synagogues wishes to us Muslims a happy Eid, so if we want to be bigger persons here, why won't we do the same to them ? do you really think that if they see us ignoring them in their holiday they will appreciate it ?

What i want to say is that we have to be models, and show them as we are so, and if we really do so, they will love us, listen to us, follow us and even embrace Islam because our good ethics toward them...

And as for your mufti, i'm pretty sure that there is difference between the scholar of Islam about this subject, because in Andalucia the muslim imams themselves were inciting muslims to say happy christmas to our christian brothers so we can live in a peaceful and a harmonious comunitiy.

And Allah knows best.

ajr
11-12-2015, 01:00 PM
.'Our Lord! Let not our hearts deviate (from the truth) after You have guided us, and grant us mercy from You. Truly, You are the Bestower". #Quran 3:8

Scimitar
11-12-2015, 01:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhmedGassama
You can maybe wish him that indirectly
like to tell him "Happy Holiday" and not “Happy Diwali”

Because if we want coexistence, we need to build up bridges together.
In each year, muslims in Andalucia wished to their non muslim neighbors happy christmas... and Andalucia is the perfect example of tolerance and coexistence.
And you know that we Muslims can marry a christian woman, so how can't i wish to my wife a happy christmas especially if she wish me a happy eid ? how would this be fair ?
And sometimes also we see that some churches and some synagogues wishes to us Muslims a happy Eid, so if we want to be bigger persons here, why won't we do the same to them ? do you really think that if they see us ignoring them in their holiday they will appreciate it ?

What i want to say is that we have to be models, and show them as we are so, and if we really do so, they will love us, listen to us, follow us and even embrace Islam because our good ethics toward them...

And as for your mufti, i'm pretty sure that there is difference between the scholar of Islam about this subject, because in Andalucia the muslim imams themselves were inciting muslims to say happy christmas to our christian brothers so we can live in a peaceful and a harmonious comunitiy.

And Allah knows best.
But you're in Tunisia. Hardly Spain is it?

Scimi

sister herb
11-12-2015, 01:13 PM
^^ If imam can say it in Spain, why not in Tunisia too?

BilalKid
11-12-2015, 02:38 PM
happy holiday is ok??

AhmedGassama
11-12-2015, 03:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
But you're in Tunisia. Hardly Spain is it?

Scimi
I'm in Tunisia but my soul is in Andalucia... :)
But don't forget when Muslims of Andalucia were expelled from Spain they came to live in north africa so maybe i'm one of their descendent :D

As for Tunisia, we are 99% Arab Sunnis, we don't have a big religious or ethnic difference :(

syed_z
11-13-2015, 04:17 AM
Salaam..

A beautiful Verse of the Quran to share....

(30:19) He brings the living out of the dead and brings the dead out of the living and brings to life the earth after its lifelessness.

Our Beloved Rasool (sallAllahu Alaihi Wassalam) brought the spiritually dead hearts to come spiritually alive through his beautiful character and preaching, mercy and forgiveness....

Allah (swt) through his beloved Messenger (saw) brought the hearts of disbelievers alive and through them the light of Islam spread....

A thing as little as smiling is contagious, therefore never belittle even a greeting, it could make an impact much greater than we can imagine...

Leoprecordia
11-14-2015, 07:30 PM
I cannot come to terms with accepting the notion that by wishing someone well for their holiday means you're embracing their faith, whether we agree with them or not. I think that's an incredibly narrow-minded mindset. You can wish someone well in their celebrations without harming your own faith in Islam. I feel that the only people who have issues with this are those who wear their religion on their sleeves. If your Islam is so weak that you cannot wish someone well in their holidays, then you are showing a complete lack of tolerance. And if there is anything that Islam has taught me, it is tolerance. You cannot consider yourself a member of a community by estranging yourself from it. And if you are estranged from a community, you've eliminated all possibilities of bringing the message of Islam to them.

My faith in Islam is strong enough that I can wish someone a merry Christmas, happy Diwali, happy Hanukkah (etc.) while keeping my faith intact and still respecting that everyone else believes their faith is THE one.

Muhaba
11-14-2015, 10:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
Please don't think it is some sort of competition and that people are trying to beat you by giving you the light, it's the difference between the bright light of truth, the dimming lamps, and utter darkness and we wan't you to win also.
Your own faculties of reasoning should easily make you see the truth when you use them since your Creator has made it easy to understand.
Nice reply. Really thoughtful.

Ummshareef
11-15-2015, 08:10 PM
We should always be polite, courteous and helpful to all our neighbours of whatever creed or religion, but I would draw the line at proactively wishing someone a happy day of polytheism. It is just too close to shirk and Allah subhana wa ta'alaa says he will not forgive the sin of shirk. My kids know they will be disciplined if I hear them say happy diwali, just as if they try to get involved in halloween. May Allah save us from all acts of ignorance or thoughtfulness that bring us even remotely close to shirk.

Leoprecordia
11-15-2015, 09:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummshareef
We should always be polite, courteous and helpful to all our neighbours of whatever creed or religion, but I would draw the line at proactively wishing someone a happy day of polytheism. It is just too close to shirk and Allah subhana wa ta'alaa says he will not forgive the sin of shirk. My kids know they will be disciplined if I hear them say happy diwali, just as if they try to get involved in halloween. May Allah save us from all acts of ignorance or thoughtfulness that bring us even remotely close to shirk.
How can it be shirk if that isn't your intention?

Ummshareef
11-15-2015, 10:04 PM
I simply don't wish to go within a million miles of shirk. It is not something that we should take any chances with...just think about the consequences.

Leoprecordia
11-15-2015, 10:27 PM
No brother, my point isn't that I'm saying it's acceptable to tread the fine line between what may be and may not be shirk. I'm attempting to define the meaning of what defines an action as shirk? I see three cases with only the third being considered shirk.

(1) Someone wishes a Christian a merry Christmas out of good will without realizing that their action is a form of shirk (not saying I agree with this). Their ignorance was the root cause.
(2) Someone wishes a Christian a merry Christmas out of good will while still understanding that Christmas is a pagan holiday, but it is simply done as a means of good gesture. Their good intention was the root cause.
(3) Someone wishes a Christian a merry Christmas and proceeds to celebrate it with them while ignoring the fact that they know they shouldn't. Their ignorance AND intention to do wrong were the root causes.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.