/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Recommended times for using the Miswak

Ridwaan Ravat
11-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Perhaps the most encapsulating Hadith on the importance of brushing the teeth with a Miswak is the narration of Sayyiduna Abu Umamah RA wherein Rasulullah ﷺ says:

“Use the Miswak, for it is a means of cleansing the mouth and attaining the pleasure of Allah. Every time Jibreel AS came to me he advised me to use the Miswak, to an extent that I feared it may become obligatory for me and my ummah to use it. If it wasn’t for the fear of creating difficulty upon my followers, I would have made it binding on them. Indeed I use the Miswak so much that I fear for my gums”*

(Ibn Majah, Hadith:289, see Targheeb 1/166)

The Scholars have enumerated up to ten different moments in which the Miswak should be used:

1. Upon awakening
2. While making wudhu
3. Before offering salah (provided the gums don’t bleed)
4. Before reciting the Holy Quran
5. Before meeting with people
6. Upon entering the home
7. When one is hungry
8. When the teeth become yellow
9. When the mouth has a bad odour
10. Before death (if one can sense it)

[References:
Fathul Qadeer, vol.1 pg.22, Raddul Muhtar (Shami) vol.1 Pgs.113-114, and Khisalul Fitrah of Imam Abu Shamah Al-Maqdisi (RA) pgs.27-37]

This explains the emphasis Islam lays on Dental care.

《Al-Miftah》

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
keiv
12-28-2015, 11:52 PM
Dental care for me would mean to rip out all my teeth and start over. Unfortunately, that will never happen :zip:

Just curious as to some Muslim sources for getting miswak. I've actually never used one before and I'd rather buy them from a reputable source :peace:

LaSorcia
12-29-2015, 12:56 AM
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...eywords=miswak

TMGuide
12-29-2015, 07:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by LaSorcia
Jazakallaah khair, They have the ones my aunty loves. This will save her from ordering it from abroad :statisfie

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
LaSorcia
12-29-2015, 02:28 PM
Great! Glad I could be of help!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.