/* */

PDA

View Full Version : To do things in the Age of Fitan (Trials and Tribulations)

syed_z
11-16-2015, 06:27 AM
Asalaam O Alaikum...

You're most welcome to share whatever you know is beneficial To Do Things in the Age of Fitan from the guidance given in the Quran and Traditions of the Messenger of Allah (salAllahu Alaihi Wassallam), and from the way of the Pious Awliyas (those great Imams, Scholars and Sufis of the past). I believe that the below duas from the Quran should be recited continuously in our daily prayers. They are specifically related to times like these....

Since Muslims are being attacked from outside (whether physical or psychological) and from within (through misguided Muslim individuals). It is time to turn to Allah (Swt) for assistance and protection with a lot of prayer and charity.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said that "Charity removes hardships and difficulties." .... give a lot of charity for yourself and your families...

(Surah Al Kahf Verse 10) when the youths retreated to the cave and said, "Our Lord, grant us from Yourself mercy and prepare for us from our affair right guidance."

..this was made by the youth who were trying to save themselves from persecution of their people. A Dua at the time of distress.

(Surah Al Mumineen Verses 97-98) And say,

"My Lord, I seek refuge in You from the incitements of the devils,

And I seek refuge in You, my Lord , lest they be present with me."

...A dua from the Quran that can help against attacks and whisperings of the Devils (Shayateen from among mankind and Jinn)

(Surah Al Qasas Verse 24) My Lord Help me against mischievous people

....This dua is pertinent against all mischievous people.

(Al Mumtahinah 60:Verses 4 - 5) Our Lord in You we put our trust, and to You do we turn in repentance, and to You is the eventual destiny

Our Lord make us not a prey for those who disbelieve, and forgive us, our Lord. Indeed You alone are Exalted in Might, The Wise

...this Dua of Ibrahim (a.s) is for protection against being a plaything in the hands of disbelievers so they may not try to do whatever they wish to. Very Important!

(Surah Yunus Verses 85-86] Our Lord! Make us not a trial for those who practice oppression; And deliver us by Thy Mercy from those who reject (Thee)

....against being a target of people who commit oppression and injustice, and to be under His Mercy for protection against the disbelievers who want to harm....

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strivingobserver98
11-16-2015, 10:47 AM
:wa:

The Messenger of Allaah :saws: said: There shall soon be a Fitnah: the one who sits in that time is better than the one who stands, and the one who stands is better than the one who walks, and the one who walks is better than the one who hastens to it. And the closer you get to it, the closer it would get to you. Therefore, whoever is able to seek refuge in a shelter, let him do it. [Bukhari (3602), Muslim (6886); narrated by Abu Hurairah (radiallaahu 'anhu)]

The temptations that are meant in this hadeeth are the ones that are vague and ambiguous, and the way of truth in them is unknown; rather it is mixed up. Such are the temptations which the believer is advised to abstain from and stay far away from it with whatever way necessary.

And this is similar to what is stated in his :saws: statement: There shall soon be a time in which the best wealth of the Muslim man will be his sheep which he will carry along with him to the peak of the mountain and the falling places of rain, fleeing with his religion from Fitan. [al-Bukhari (19), narrated by Abu Sa'eed al-Khudri (radiallaahu 'anhu)]

syed_z
11-17-2015, 05:05 AM
Importance of Ayatul Kursi in these times.

Abu Huraira has related the following incident that was recorded in Sahih al-Bukhari and other books. Abu Huraira said that the Prophet had put him in charge of guarding the zakat of Ramadhaan. He related, “Someone came to me and began to take portions of the food. I caught him and told him that I was going to take him to the Messenger of Allah. The man complained, ‘I am in great need and I have children dependent on me.’ Therefore I let him go. In the morning, the Prophet (peace be upon him) asked me, ‘What happened to the one you caught last night, Abu Huraira?’ I replied, ‘Oh Messenger of Allah, he pleaded with me concerning his great need and his dependent children, so I felt pity for him and let him go.’ The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, ‘He lied to you and he will be back.’ I knew that he would therefore return because the Prophet (peace be upon him) had said so. I waited for him. When he came, he again began to take loads of food. I caught him again and again told him that I was going to take him to the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him). But when he pleaded, ‘Let me go. I am in great need and have children dependent on me,’ I again had mercy on him and let him go. In the morning, the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) again asked me, ‘Oh Abu Huraira, what happened to your prisoner last night?’ I replied, ‘Oh Messenger of Allah, he complained to me of his great need and dependent children so I let him go again.’ The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, ‘He has lied to you and he will return.’ I again waited for him and again he came and began to take loads of food. I caught him once again. I told him, ‘This time I will definitely take to the Messenger of Allah. This is the third time vou have done such an act.’ This time the man said words by which Allah will to me, ‘If you let me go I will teach you some word that would greatly benefit you! When you go to your bed

recite the Verse of the Throne [2:255 al-Baqara] from, “Allah, there is no god but He, the Living, the Eternal,” to the end of the verse. If you do so a guardian from Allah will come and protect you from the devils until the morning.’ I decided to let him go. In the morning, the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) again asked me, ‘What happened to your prisoner last night, Abu Huraira?’ I answered, ‘He claimed that he would teach me some words that would benefit me greatly.’ The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, ‘He has told the truth although he is a liar. Do you know who was that person you’ve been talking to for the last three nights?’ I replied in the negative. The Prophet (peace be upon him) told me, ‘That was a devil.“’

(6:112) .....We have made- devils from mankind and jinn, inspiring to one another decorative speech in delusion.

Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi Wassallam) was once asked "Are there Satans from among men?" and he replied "Yes, and they are more evil than the satans from among the invisible beings (Al-Jinn)."

...Since Shayateen are also from among men, then hold on to this Verse all times when you're outside in the public, work, school, office, street, market etc! I suggest the following Ahadith that mention further importance of this Ayatul Kursi (Verse of the throne). This is our Weapon!

Ubayy bin Ka'b (radiAllahu anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: "Abu Mundhir! Do you know which Ayah in Allah's Book is the greatest? I said: 'Allah and His messenger know best.'
He (peace be upon him) again said: 'Do you know which Ayah in Allah's Book, according to you, is the greatest?' I (Abu Mundhir) replied: ‘It is 'Allah la ilaha illa Huwal-Hayyul-Qayyum'.[2:255].
Thereupon he (peace be upon him) patted me in the chest and said, ' Rejoice by your knowledge, O Abu Mundhir! (i.e, may this knowledge be a source of respect, honour and benefit to you)'."
[Muslim]

http://www.islamawareness.net/Dua/kursi.html

syed_z
11-22-2015, 07:44 AM
Dealing with Stress in times of Fitnah

Abu Huraira (r.a) reported that he heard the Messnger of Allah (sallAllahu Alaihi Wassallam) say "The hour will not arrive until a man passes by the grave of another man and says 'Would that I were in his place." (Bukharee)

...similar traditions have been reported from the ahadith collection that indicate the severe trial that some or many people might have to go through as we approach the climax of the hour (end of time period/Akhir Uz Zaman) and the stress that will accompany it... the above Hadith mentions words 'a man' and not 'A believer' which is good news. Nevertheless when trials and tribulations increase with the approach of the Hour as indicates the above hadith and several others, a believer also might be affected through the effects of such trials like general population.... and a Believer always has formula given by our Blessed Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi Wassalllam) how to deal with stress in such times...

By the way the above Hadith reminds me that the refugees who are fleeing Muslim lands definitely must be thinking like the man above.... May Allah (swt) makes things easy for the Ummah, forgive us and have Mercy on us....

Sayyidina Abdullah Ibn Masud (r.a) reports that the Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi Wassallam) said, "Whenever a Muslim is suffering from a worry or grief and he makes this dua, Allah will remove his worry and replace his grief with joy." The Companions said " Should we not learn these words?" He replied, "Certainly. It is only proper for anyone who listen to these words to learn them."

(Abdullah Ibn Masud - Mujam Ul Kabir (Tabarani) - Munajat E Maqbool by Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanvi)

Allaahumma 'innee 'abduka, ibnu 'abdika, ibnu 'amatika, naasiyatee biyadika, maadhin fiyya hukmuka, 'adlun fiyya qadhaa'uka, 'as'aluka bikulli ismin huwa laka, sammayta bihi nafsaka, 'aw 'anzaltahu fee kitaabika, 'aw 'allamtahu 'ahadan min khalqika, 'awista'tharta bihi fee 'ilmil-ghaybi 'indaka, 'an taj'alal-Qur'aana rabee'a qalbee, wa noora sadree, wa jalaa'a huznee, wa thahaaba hammee .

O Allah, I am Your slave and the son of Your male slave and the son of your female slave . My forehead is in Your Hand (i.e. you have control over me) . Your Judgment upon me is assured and Your Decree concerning me is just . I ask You by every Name that You have named Yourself with , revealed in Your Book , taught any one of Your creation or kept unto Yourself in the knowledge of the unseen that is with You , to make the Qur'an the spring of my heart, and the light of my chest, the banisher of my sadness and the reliever of my distress.

another important Dua against worry and grief....

Allaahumma 'innee 'a'oothu bika minal-hammi walhazani, wal'ajzi walkasali, walbukhli waljubni, wa dhala'id-dayni wa ghalabatir-rijaal .

O Allah , I seek refuge in you from grief and sadness, from weakness and from laziness, from miserliness and from cowardice, from being overcome by debt and overpowered by men (i .e . others) .

A very important Verse of the Quran that helps dealing with worry and stress when no way seems out of a predicament. It is definitely better to ponder over them when one makes Dua to Allah (swt) in Stress.

Surah At Talaaq (65 Verses 2 - 3)
And whoever fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. And will provide for him from where he does not expect. And whoever relies upon Allah - then He is sufficient for him. Indeed, Allah will accomplish His purpose. Allah has already set for everything a [decreed] extent.

It is mentioned in an authentic hadith that whoever mentions the below words seven (In Arabic seven also means several) times a day will have his concerns taken care of by Allah (swt)....

Surah Taubah (9 Verse 129)

HasbiyAllahu La ilaha illa Huwa 'alaihi tawakkaltu wa Huwa Rabbul 'Arshil 'Azeem

Allah is sufficient for me. None has the right to be worshipped but He, in Him I put my trust and He is the Lord of the Mighty Throne.

May Allah (swt) give us tawfiq to taake advantage of the above at all times. Ameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syed_z
11-26-2015, 02:58 PM
What to do when Time passes by quick in the Age of Fitan

One of the signs of the end of times is that the time will run fast and the blessing inherent in it will be lost.

It has been related that Abu Huraira (r.a) reported this hadith from the Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi Wassallam) “Time will converge, knowledge will decrease, miserliness and avarice will remain….

In another tradition on the passing of time He (sallAllau alaihi Wassallam) said “The Hour will not come until time passes so quickly that a year will be like a month, a month like a week, a week like a day, a day like an hour, and an hour like the time it takes for a palm-leaf to burn."

The people near the hour will not be blessed in their time and so the night and day will go by quickly for them.

The same has also been mentioned in the Qur’an, the Surah Al Asr Chapter 103

1. Consider the flight of time
2. Verily man is bound to loose himself

3. Unless he be those who attained to faith and do good works, and enjoin upon one another the keeping to truth, and enjoin upon one another patience in adversity.

Imaam Shaafi has said about the above Surah that if people would well understand and realize the importance of the above Surah it would be sufficient for them to succeed in this world and the hereafter.

No doubt the above Surah points towards the Asr – time that moves fast and connects to the Prophesy of Messenger of Allah (SallAllahu alaihi wassallam) that how time will pass by so quick. One can easily observe it happening these days that our years, months, weeks, days are passing by at a much faster rate than they used to for previous nations. In our age we have made time equivaent to Duniya (World and all its beauties). We're engaging our time more towards Duniya which makes our time goes fast, especially due to the modern unprecedented technological developments not experienced by previous generations.

Since Time is all a believer has and therefore the most precious thing, then we need to take great care of the most precious thing. How do we do that?

Messenger of Allah (sallAllau alaihi wassallam) said: Allah (swt) said: Sons of Adam abuses Time, and I am Time (Ad Dahr), in My hand is the night and the day

Ad Dahr means Absolute Time or Actual Time. Allah (swt) made it very clear that He is the Absolute Time. Allah (swt) is above and beyond any created space and time. Time and space has been created for the creation and Creator is above all. Keep yourself connected to the Ad Dahr (Actual Time) so that we are not affected by the Asr (passing of time) in the last hour.

This is what the Ashab – e – Kahf (Young men of the cave) did and Allah (swt) miraculously blessed time for them that they stayed In the cave for hundreds of years while the fleeting time was not able to affect them.

(Al Quran 18:16) “….take refuge in that cave: God will spread His grave over you, and will endow you – whatever your (outward) condition – with all that your souls may need.”

Our Spirits inside our bodies have comes from Allah (swt), as said in the Quran:

(32:09) Then He proportioned him and breathed into him from His [created] soul and made for you hearing and vision and hearts; little are you grateful.

The Imams and Awliya have mentioned that the Heart is the bridge that connects the Spirit to the Physical. And it is only the Heart that immerses itself in the remembrance of Allah (swt) will keep our Spiritual connection strong and InshA’Allah will further strengthen it. That will help us defeat the negative effects of the fast passage of time in the age of Fitan (trials and tribulations).

[13:28] …Truly, it is in the remembrance of God that hearts find peace.

Sahl Bin Abdullah Al Tustari, the great Sufi Imam (d. 283/896) briefly explained what is Dhikr Allah (Remembrance of Allah) and is it just words emanating from one's mouth as we might ask ourselves?

“The life of the spirit (ḥayāt al-rūḥ) is in the remembrance [of God] (dhikr), the life of remembrance is in the one who remembers (dhākir), and the life of the one who remembers is in the One who is remembered (madhkūr).”

On one occasion Sahl was asked, ‘What is remembrance (dhikr)?’ He said, ‘Obedience (ṭāʿa).’ Then someone asked, ‘What is obedience?’ He replied, ‘Sincerity (ikhlāṣ).’ Then he was asked, ‘What is sincerity?’ and he answered, ‘Witnessing (mushāhada).’ Someone then asked, ‘What is witnessing?’ He replied, ‘Servanthood (ʿubūdiyya).’ Then they asked: ‘What is servanthood?’ He answered, ‘Contentment (riḍā).’ Then they asked, ‘What is contentment?’ He replied, ‘Neediness (iftiqār).’ He was asked: ‘What is neediness?’ and he said, ‘It is humble entreaty (taḍarruʿ) and seeking refuge [in Him] (iltijāʾ). Submit! Submit, until death!’

The Prophet (sallAllahu Alaihi Wassallam) used to make the following dua that may help understand the above words of this great sage:

Allahumma aoozubika minka - Oh Allah I seek refuge in You from You...

The result of true submission begins with Dhikr.

....May Allah (swt) enable us to keep and strengthen our spiritual connection with Ad Dahr the Absolute Time in the Age of Fitan. Ameen.

syed_z
12-07-2015, 06:45 AM
Important: Seek Aid in Steadfast and Patience

2:153 O YOU who have attained to faith! Seek aid in steadfast patience and prayer: for, behold, God iswith those who are patient in adversity.

2:154And say not of those who are slain in God's cause, "They are dead": nay, they are alive, but youperceive it not.

2:155And most certainly shall We try you by means125 of danger, and hunger, and loss of worldlygoods, of lives and of [labour's] fruits. But give glad tidings unto those who are patient inadversity - (2:156) who, when calamity befalls them, say, "Verily, unto God do we belong and,verily, unto Him we shall return." (2:157) It is they upon whom their Sustainer's blessings andgrace are bestowed, and it is they, they who are on the right path!

125 Lit., "with something".

...when tested with danger, hunger and loss of worldly goods, of lives and whatever is dearer to us and us staying patient and seeking assistance in prayer during those times..... Allah (swt) bestows blessings and grace on them in this world by giving them more patient and making it easy for them to bear and in the hereafter by removing difficulties of the Day of Judgment....

Remember Allah (swt) in your good times and He (swt) will remember you in your difficult.... Difficult times can appear anytime...

OmAbdullah
12-07-2015, 08:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed_z
What to do when Time passes by quick in the Age of Fitan

One of the signs of the end of times is that the time will run fast and the blessing inherent in it will be lost.

The same has also been mentioned in the Qur’an, the Surah Al Asr Chapter 103

1. Consider the flight of time
2. Verily man is bound to loose himself

3. Unless he be those who attained to faith and do good works, and enjoin upon one another the keeping to truth, and enjoin upon one another patience in adversity.

Imaam Shaafi has said about the above Surah that if people would well understand and realize the importance of the above Surah it would be sufficient for them to succeed in this world and the hereafter.

No doubt the above Surah points towards the Asr – time that moves fast and connects to the Prophesy of Messenger of Allah (SallAllahu alaihi wassallam) that how time will pass by so quick. One can easily observe it happening these days that our years, months, weeks, days are passing by at a much faster rate than they used to for previous nations. In our age we have made time equivaent to Duniya (World and all its beauties). We're engaging our time more towards Duniya which makes our time goes fast, especially due to the modern unprecedented technological developments not experienced by previous generations.

The Prophet (sallAllahu Alaihi Wassallam) used to make the following dua that may help understand the above words of this great sage:

Allahumma aoozubika minka - Oh Allah I seek refuge in You from You...

The tafseer of surah Al-asr given above is wrong. In the first verse Allah swears by the time. It doesn't mean "consider time"

Please check the tafseer of surah Al-Asr at tafheem.net (given below):

(103:1) By the time!

~
(103:2) Lo! Man is in a state of loss;

(103:3) save those who have faith and do righteous deeds, and counsel each other to hold on to truth and counsel each other to be steadfast.1

1. In this Surah an oath has been sworn by the Time to impress the point that man is in sheer loss and only those people are an exception from the loss who are characterized by four qualities:

(1) Faith.

(2) Righteous deeds.

(3) Exhorting one another to truth.

(4) Exhorting one another to patience.

Let us consider each of these parts separately in order to fully understand the meanings.

As for the oath, we have explained several times above that Allah has not sworn an oath by any of the created objects on account of its glory or its excellence and wonderful qualities but for the reason that it testifies to the truth which is meant to be established. Therefore, the oath by Time signifies that Time is witness to the truth that man is in sheer loss except for the people who possess the four qualities.

The word time is used for the past as well as for the passing time in which the present, in fact, does not signify any long stretch of time. Every moment, when it has passed, becomes past, and every moment of the future, when it is passing, becomes present, and when it has passed, becomes past. Here, since the oath has been sworn by time absolute, both kinds of time are included in its meaning. The oath by the past time means that human history testifies that the people who were without these qualities, eventually incurred loss, and in order to understand the significance of the oath by the passing time, one should understand that the time which is now passing is, in fact, the time which has been given to every single individual and every single nation to work in the world. Its example is of the time which is allotted to a candidate for answering his question-paper in the examination hall. The speed with which this time is passing can be estimated from the movement of the secondhand in the watch. Even a second is a considerable amount of time, for during this very second light travels 186,000 miles, and in the Kingdom of God there may as well be many things which move even faster than light, but are not yet known to man. However, if the speed of the passing time be regarded the same as of the movement of the second-hand, and we consider that whatever act, good or bad, we perform and whatever occupation we pursue, takes place in the limited span of age that we have been given for work in the world, we feel that our real wealth is this very time, which is passing so quickly. Imam Razi has cited a scholar as saying: I understood the meaning of Surah Al- Asr from an ice-seller, who was calling aloud for the attention of the people repeatedly in the bazar: Have mercy on the one whose wealth is melting away! Hearing what he was crying I said to myself: this then is the meaning of Walasri innal-insana lafi khusrin. The age-limit that man has been allotted is passing quickly like the melting away of ice. If it is wasted, or spent in wrong pursuits, it will be sheer loss to man. Thus, swearing an oath by the Time what has been said in this Surah, means that the fast passing Time is witness that devoid of these four qualities in whatever occupation and work man is spending his limited span of life, he is engaged in bad bargains. Only such people are engaged in good bargains, who work in the world, characterized by the four qualities. It would be just like calling attention of the candidate, who was spending the time allotted for solving the question-paper in some other pursuit, to the wall clock in the examination hall, to tell him that the passing time bore witness that he was causing loss to himself; the candidate benefiting by the Time was he who was using every moment of the allotted time in solving the paper.

Though the word man has been used in the singular, in the following sentences those people have been made an exception from it, who are characterized by the four qualities. Therefore, one will have to admit that here the word man has been used as a collective noun, denoting a class, and it applies equally to individuals, groups, nations, and entire mankind. Thus, the general statement that whoever is devoid of the above four qualities is in loss, would be proved in any case whether it is a person who is devoid of these, or a nation, or all men of the world. It will be just like giving the verdict that poison is fatal for man; it will mean that poison is fatal in any case whether it is taken by an individual, or a nation, or all the people of the world. Poison’s being fatal is an unchangeable truth; it does not make any difference whether one man has taken it, or a nation has decided to take it, or all the people of the world collectively have agreed to take poison. Precisely in the same way this truth by itself is unchangeable that man’s being devoid of the above four qualities brings him loss. The general rule is not at all affected even if one man is devoid of these, or a nation, or all the people of the world agree that they would exhort one another to disbelief, immorality, falsehood and servitude to the self.

Now, let us see in what sense has the Quran used the word khusr (loss). Lexically, khusr is an antonym of nafa (profit); in trade this word is used in the case when loss results from one bargain as well as in the case when the whole business is running in loss, and also in the case when man loses all his capital and becomes bankrupt. The Quran has made this word a special term of its own and uses it as an antonym of falah (true success). And just as its concept of falah is not merely synonymous with worldly prosperity but comprehends man’s true success from the world till the Hereafter, so its concept of khusr (loss) is also not merely synonymous with worldly failure or distress but comprehends man’s real failure and disappointment from the world till the Hereafter. We have explained the Quranic concept of both falah and khusran at several places before which need not be repeated here. (For this please see (E.N. 9 of Surah Al-Aaraf); (E.N. 30 of Surah Al-Anfal); (E.N. 23 of Surah Younus); (E.N. 102 of Surah Bani Israil); (E.N. 17 of Surah Al-Hajj); (E Ns 1, 2, (11, (50 of Surah Al-Muminoon); (E.N. 4 of Surah Luqman); (E.N. 34 of Surah Az-Zumar). Besides, one should also understand that although according to the Quran true success is man’s success in the Hereafter and real loss his failure there, yet in this world too what the people describe as success is not, in fact, real success but its end in this world itself is failure, and what they regard as loss is not, in fact, loss but a means of true success even in this world. This truth has been stated by the Quran at several places and we have explained it everywhere accordingly. (Please see (E.N. 99 of Surah An- Nahl); (E.N. 53 of Surah Maryam); (E.N. 105 of Surah TaHa); (E.Ns 3-5 of Surah Al-Lail). Thus, when the Quran states conclusively and absolutely that man is certainly in loss, it implies loss both in this world and in the Hereafter. And when it says that only such people are secure from this loss, who are characterized by the four qualities, it implies their being secure from loss and attaining true success both here and in the Hereafter.

Now, let us consider the four qualities on the existence of which depends man’s being secure from loss and failure.

Of these the first quality is Iman (Faith). Although this word at some places in the Quran has been used in the meaning of only verbal affirmation of Faith (e.g. in (Surah An-Nisa, Ayat 137); (Surah Al-Maidah, Ayat 54); (Surah Al- Anfal, Ayats 20, 27); (Surah At-Taubah, Ayat 38); ( Surah As- Saff, Ayat 2), it has primarily been used in the meaning of believing sincerely and faithfully, and in the Arabic language this word has this very meaning. Lexically, amanu lahu means saddaqa-hu wa tamada alai-hi: affirmed him and put faith in him, and amana bi-hi means aiqana bi-hi: had full faith in him. The Faith which the Quran regards as true Faith has been explained in the following verses:

In fact, true believers are those who believed in Allah and His Messenger, then entertained no doubt. (Surah Al- Hujurat, Ayat 15).

Those who said: Allah is our Lord, and then stood steadfast by it. (Surah HaMim As-Sajdah, Ayat 30).

True believers are those whose hearts tremble with awe, whenever Allah is mentioned to them. (Surah Al-Anfaal, Ayat 2).

Those who have believed adore Allah most ardently. (Surah Al-Baqarah, Ayat 165).

Nay, (O Prophet), by your Lord, they can never become believers until they accept you as judge for the decision of the disputes between them, and then surrender to your decision with entire submission without the least resentment in their hearts. (Surah An-Nisa, Ayat 65).

O you who profess to have believed, believe sincerely in Allah and His Messenger. (Surah An-Nisa, Ayat 136).

As for the question, what has one to believe in, in order to have true faith? This has also been answered and explained in the Quran most explicitly. First, it implies that one has to believe in Allah, not merely in His Being but in the sense that He alone is God; no one else is an associate in His Godhead. He alone is worthy that man should worship, serve and obey Him. He alone can make or mar destinies; man should invoke Him alone and have trust in Him alone. He alone can enjoin things and forbid things; man is under obligation to obey Him and refrain from what he forbids. He sees everything and hears everything; not to speak of any act of man, even his motives and intentions with which he has done an act, are not hidden from Him. Secondly, one has to believe in the Messenger, in the sense that he is a guide and leader appointed by Allah: whatever he has taught, is from Allah, is based upon the truth and has to be acknowledged and accepted. This belief in Apostleship also includes faith in the angels, the Prophets, the divine Books and in the Quran itself, for this forms part of the teachings which the Messenger of Allah has given. Thirdly, one has to believe in the Hereafter, in the sense that man’s present life is not his first and last life, but after death man has to be resurrected, to render an account to God of the deeds done in the present life, and has to be rewarded for the good deeds and punished for the evil deeds accordingly. This Faith provides a firm basis for morality and character, upon which can be built the edifice of a pure life, whereas the truth is that without such Faith, the life of man, however beautiful and pleasing outwardly, is like a ship without an anchor, which is at the mercy of the waves wherever they may take it.

After Faith the second quality required to save man from loss is to perform righteous deeds (salihalt). Salihat comprehends all kinds of virtuous and good deeds. However, according to the Quran, no act can be a good act unless it is based on Faith and it is performed in obedience to the guidance given by Allah and His Messenger (peace be upon him). That is why in the Quran exhortation to perform good deeds is preceded everywhere by Faith, and in this Surah too it has been mentioned after the Faith. Nowhere in the Quran has a deed without Faith been called a good deed, nor any reward promised for a deed performed without Faith. On the contrary, this also is a fact that only that Faith is reliable and beneficial, the sincerity of which is proved by man’s own act and deed, otherwise Faith without righteous deeds would be a false claim refuted by the man himself when in spite of this claim he follows a way opposed to the way taught by Allah and His Messenger (peace be upon him). The relationship between Faith and righteous deed is of the seed and the tree. Unless the seed is sown in the soil no tree can grow out of it. But if the seed is in the soil and no tree is growing out of it, it would mean that the seed is lost in the soil. On this very basis whatever good news has been given in the Quran, has been given to the people who believe and do good deeds, and the same has been reiterated in this Surah. What man requires to do after the Faith in order to remain secure from loss is to perform righteous deeds. In other words, mere Faith without righteous deeds cannot save man from loss.

The above two qualities are such as must be possessed by every single individual. Then, the Surah mentions two further qualities, which a man must have in order to be saved from loss. They are that the people who believe and do good deeds must exhort one another to truth and to patience. This means that in the first place, a believing and righteous people should not live as individuals but should create a believing and righteous society by their combination. Second, that every individual of this society must feel his responsibility not to let the society become degenerate. Thus, all its members are duty bound to exhort one another to truth and to patience.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above tafseer is from tafheem.net There are more details at tafheem.net, you can see it there.

The du'aa that you gave (mentioned above in the quote) DOESN'T SEEM TO BE CORREECT because in this way we seek the refuge of Allah from Satan. The correct du'aa says, "We seek the refuge of Allah from Allah's anger and Allah's punishment".

syed_z
12-08-2015, 02:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nbegam
The tafseer of surah Al-asr given above is wrong. In the first verse Allah swears by the time. It doesn't mean "consider time"

Please check the tafseer of surah Al-Asr at tafheem.net (given below):

(103:1) By the time!

~(103:2) Lo! Man is in a state of loss;

(103:3) save those who have faith and do righteous deeds, and counsel each other to hold on to truth and counsel each other to be steadfast.1

1. In this Surah an oath has been sworn by the Time to impress the point that man is in sheer loss and only those people are an exception from the loss who are characterized by four qualities:

(1) Faith.

(2) Righteous deeds.

(3) Exhorting one another to truth.

(4) Exhorting one another to patience.

Let us consider each of these parts separately in order to fully understand the meanings.

As for the oath, we have explained several times above that Allah has not sworn an oath by any of the created objects on account of its glory or its excellence and wonderful qualities but for the reason that it testifies to the truth which is meant to be established. Therefore, the oath by Time signifies that Time is witness to the truth that man is in sheer loss except for the people who possess the four qualities.

The word time is used for the past as well as for the passing time in which the present, in fact, does not signify any long stretch of time. Every moment, when it has passed, becomes past, and every moment of the future, when it is passing, becomes present, and when it has passed, becomes past. Here, since the oath has been sworn by time absolute, both kinds of time are included in its meaning. The oath by the past time means that human history testifies that the people who were without these qualities, eventually incurred loss, and in order to understand the significance of the oath by the passing time, one should understand that the time which is now passing is, in fact, the time which has been given to every single individual and every single nation to work in the world. Its example is of the time which is allotted to a candidate for answering his question-paper in the examination hall. The speed with which this time is passing can be estimated from the movement of the secondhand in the watch. Even a second is a considerable amount of time, for during this very second light travels 186,000 miles, and in the Kingdom of God there may as well be many things which move even faster than light, but are not yet known to man. However, if the speed of the passing time be regarded the same as of the movement of the second-hand, and we consider that whatever act, good or bad, we perform and whatever occupation we pursue, takes place in the limited span of age that we have been given for work in the world, we feel that our real wealth is this very time, which is passing so quickly. Imam Razi has cited a scholar as saying: I understood the meaning of Surah Al- Asr from an ice-seller, who was calling aloud for the attention of the people repeatedly in the bazar: Have mercy on the one whose wealth is melting away! Hearing what he was crying I said to myself: this then is the meaning of Walasri innal-insana lafi khusrin. The age-limit that man has been allotted is passing quickly like the melting away of ice. If it is wasted, or spent in wrong pursuits, it will be sheer loss to man. Thus, swearing an oath by the Time what has been said in this Surah, means that the fast passing Time is witness that devoid of these four qualities in whatever occupation and work man is spending his limited span of life, he is engaged in bad bargains. Only such people are engaged in good bargains, who work in the world, characterized by the four qualities. It would be just like calling attention of the candidate, who was spending the time allotted for solving the question-paper in some other pursuit, to the wall clock in the examination hall, to tell him that the passing time bore witness that he was causing loss to himself; the candidate benefiting by the Time was he who was using every moment of the allotted time in solving the paper.

Though the word man has been used in the singular, in the following sentences those people have been made an exception from it, who are characterized by the four qualities. Therefore, one will have to admit that here the word man has been used as a collective noun, denoting a class, and it applies equally to individuals, groups, nations, and entire mankind. Thus, the general statement that whoever is devoid of the above four qualities is in loss, would be proved in any case whether it is a person who is devoid of these, or a nation, or all men of the world. It will be just like giving the verdict that poison is fatal for man; it will mean that poison is fatal in any case whether it is taken by an individual, or a nation, or all the people of the world. Poison’s being fatal is an unchangeable truth; it does not make any difference whether one man has taken it, or a nation has decided to take it, or all the people of the world collectively have agreed to take poison. Precisely in the same way this truth by itself is unchangeable that man’s being devoid of the above four qualities brings him loss. The general rule is not at all affected even if one man is devoid of these, or a nation, or all the people of the world agree that they would exhort one another to disbelief, immorality, falsehood and servitude to the self.

Now, let us see in what sense has the Quran used the word khusr (loss). Lexically, khusr is an antonym of nafa (profit); in trade this word is used in the case when loss results from one bargain as well as in the case when the whole business is running in loss, and also in the case when man loses all his capital and becomes bankrupt. The Quran has made this word a special term of its own and uses it as an antonym of falah (true success). And just as its concept of falah is not merely synonymous with worldly prosperity but comprehends man’s true success from the world till the Hereafter, so its concept of khusr (loss) is also not merely synonymous with worldly failure or distress but comprehends man’s real failure and disappointment from the world till the Hereafter. We have explained the Quranic concept of both falah and khusran at several places before which need not be repeated here. (For this please see (E.N. 9 of Surah Al-Aaraf); (E.N. 30 of Surah Al-Anfal); (E.N. 23 of Surah Younus); (E.N. 102 of Surah Bani Israil); (E.N. 17 of Surah Al-Hajj); (E Ns 1, 2, (11, (50 of Surah Al-Muminoon); (E.N. 4 of Surah Luqman); (E.N. 34 of Surah Az-Zumar). Besides, one should also understand that although according to the Quran true success is man’s success in the Hereafter and real loss his failure there, yet in this world too what the people describe as success is not, in fact, real success but its end in this world itself is failure, and what they regard as loss is not, in fact, loss but a means of true success even in this world. This truth has been stated by the Quran at several places and we have explained it everywhere accordingly. (Please see (E.N. 99 of Surah An- Nahl); (E.N. 53 of Surah Maryam); (E.N. 105 of Surah TaHa); (E.Ns 3-5 of Surah Al-Lail). Thus, when the Quran states conclusively and absolutely that man is certainly in loss, it implies loss both in this world and in the Hereafter. And when it says that only such people are secure from this loss, who are characterized by the four qualities, it implies their being secure from loss and attaining true success both here and in the Hereafter.

Now, let us consider the four qualities on the existence of which depends man’s being secure from loss and failure.

Of these the first quality is Iman (Faith). Although this word at some places in the Quran has been used in the meaning of only verbal affirmation of Faith (e.g. in (Surah An-Nisa, Ayat 137); (Surah Al-Maidah, Ayat 54); (Surah Al- Anfal, Ayats 20, 27); (Surah At-Taubah, Ayat 38); ( Surah As- Saff, Ayat 2), it has primarily been used in the meaning of believing sincerely and faithfully, and in the Arabic language this word has this very meaning. Lexically, amanu lahu means saddaqa-hu wa tamada alai-hi: affirmed him and put faith in him, and amana bi-hi means aiqana bi-hi: had full faith in him. The Faith which the Quran regards as true Faith has been explained in the following verses:

In fact, true believers are those who believed in Allah and His Messenger, then entertained no doubt. (Surah Al- Hujurat, Ayat 15).

Those who said: Allah is our Lord, and then stood steadfast by it. (Surah HaMim As-Sajdah, Ayat 30).

True believers are those whose hearts tremble with awe, whenever Allah is mentioned to them. (Surah Al-Anfaal, Ayat 2).

Those who have believed adore Allah most ardently. (Surah Al-Baqarah, Ayat 165).

Nay, (O Prophet), by your Lord, they can never become believers until they accept you as judge for the decision of the disputes between them, and then surrender to your decision with entire submission without the least resentment in their hearts. (Surah An-Nisa, Ayat 65).

O you who profess to have believed, believe sincerely in Allah and His Messenger. (Surah An-Nisa, Ayat 136).

As for the question, what has one to believe in, in order to have true faith? This has also been answered and explained in the Quran most explicitly. First, it implies that one has to believe in Allah, not merely in His Being but in the sense that He alone is God; no one else is an associate in His Godhead. He alone is worthy that man should worship, serve and obey Him. He alone can make or mar destinies; man should invoke Him alone and have trust in Him alone. He alone can enjoin things and forbid things; man is under obligation to obey Him and refrain from what he forbids. He sees everything and hears everything; not to speak of any act of man, even his motives and intentions with which he has done an act, are not hidden from Him. Secondly, one has to believe in the Messenger, in the sense that he is a guide and leader appointed by Allah: whatever he has taught, is from Allah, is based upon the truth and has to be acknowledged and accepted. This belief in Apostleship also includes faith in the angels, the Prophets, the divine Books and in the Quran itself, for this forms part of the teachings which the Messenger of Allah has given. Thirdly, one has to believe in the Hereafter, in the sense that man’s present life is not his first and last life, but after death man has to be resurrected, to render an account to God of the deeds done in the present life, and has to be rewarded for the good deeds and punished for the evil deeds accordingly. This Faith provides a firm basis for morality and character, upon which can be built the edifice of a pure life, whereas the truth is that without such Faith, the life of man, however beautiful and pleasing outwardly, is like a ship without an anchor, which is at the mercy of the waves wherever they may take it.

After Faith the second quality required to save man from loss is to perform righteous deeds (salihalt). Salihat comprehends all kinds of virtuous and good deeds. However, according to the Quran, no act can be a good act unless it is based on Faith and it is performed in obedience to the guidance given by Allah and His Messenger (peace be upon him). That is why in the Quran exhortation to perform good deeds is preceded everywhere by Faith, and in this Surah too it has been mentioned after the Faith. Nowhere in the Quran has a deed without Faith been called a good deed, nor any reward promised for a deed performed without Faith. On the contrary, this also is a fact that only that Faith is reliable and beneficial, the sincerity of which is proved by man’s own act and deed, otherwise Faith without righteous deeds would be a false claim refuted by the man himself when in spite of this claim he follows a way opposed to the way taught by Allah and His Messenger (peace be upon him). The relationship between Faith and righteous deed is of the seed and the tree. Unless the seed is sown in the soil no tree can grow out of it. But if the seed is in the soil and no tree is growing out of it, it would mean that the seed is lost in the soil. On this very basis whatever good news has been given in the Quran, has been given to the people who believe and do good deeds, and the same has been reiterated in this Surah. What man requires to do after the Faith in order to remain secure from loss is to perform righteous deeds. In other words, mere Faith without righteous deeds cannot save man from loss.

The above two qualities are such as must be possessed by every single individual. Then, the Surah mentions two further qualities, which a man must have in order to be saved from loss. They are that the people who believe and do good deeds must exhort one another to truth and to patience. This means that in the first place, a believing and righteous people should not live as individuals but should create a believing and righteous society by their combination. Second, that every individual of this society must feel his responsibility not to let the society become degenerate. Thus, all its members are duty bound to exhort one another to truth and to patience.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above tafseer is from tafheem.net There are more details at tafheem.net, you can see it there.

The du'aa that you gave (mentioned above in the quote) DOESN'T SEEM TO BE CORREECT because in this way we seek the refuge of Allah from Satan. The correct du'aa says, "We seek the refuge of Allah from Allah's anger and Allah's punishment".

My dear brother I'm really grateful to you for sharing your thoughts. If someone benefits from my post then All Praise is due to Allah (swt) and if someone does from your's may Allah (swt) reward you. :statisfie

By the way it's not a wrong or right tafsir, its just my understanding that I shared....and the Asr as opposed to Dahr that I have shared is explained by Allama Asaad who is also a great Mufassir.

JazakAllah khayr for sharing your thoughts.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.