/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hajj and Closeness to God

LaSorcia
11-18-2015, 11:09 PM
Hello Friends (hopefully!)

In Christianity, we do not have anything like the requirement to do hajj. I would like to know from people who have done it: How was the experience? Did it deepen your relationship with God (help you pray more, feel closer, read Quran more, etc.). For Muslims going from far away, did the different culture add to your experience or make it more difficult somehow? Do you have to speak really good Arabic to manage ok?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Search
11-18-2015, 11:37 PM
:bism: Hi!

Lol - definitely friends, not just hopefully! Hehe.

So, I went to Hajj when I was about seven years old with my parents. I didn't really understand what was happening. There was such a crush in terms of the crowd that I was scared and one time due to my small height (being a kid of course - lol) I felt suffocated, and my mom (from what I remember) had to go to find me a spot in which I could breathe normally without feeling as if all the bodies in the crowd are restricting my air passageway.

Well, hmm, when I was a little kid, I didn't know really about Islam or anything, but I believed in one God. Anyway, thinking back (now that I'm an adult), I am actually surprised that my parents at the time even went to Mecca to Hajj as they were secular people. Being a kid, maybe they thought I wouldn't understand and so they didn't even tell me why we were going to Mecca or what Hajj was. So, I can't even say if I felt spiritual or not. But I could tell as a kid that this was some important big thing happening. I also remember this one childless couple who we happened to meet, and apparently they came there to pray to be blessed with that child; later, as a child, I remember hearing my parents discussing that their prayer was answered Alhamdhullilah (praise, blessings, and thanks to God).

My parents don't speak Arabic; and I don't recall them having any trouble in communication.

Oh, one other odd thing I remember is that my mom did tell me to stop crying when my mom couldn't find my dad and younger sister in the crush. Maybe to scare me a bit, she asked me to keep quiet or otherwise people and police might get the impression that my mom has kidnapped me - so, that quieted me immediately - lol.

So, actually, for a period of time I was raised a cultural Muslim. In my preteen and teen years, in life, I turned atheist/agnostic. Then I read a lot about other cultures and religions in college just because I was a voracious reader and loved to read about faraway places and people, and I don't know why, but I didn't study Islam. I studied Islam much later in life, and then when I fell in love with the beauty of Islam, and it became one of my biggest dreams and ambition to go to Hajj or maybe even Umrah. (Sighs.) In-sha-Allah.

So, lol, I don't think that was the answer for which you were looking, but that's my answer anyhow.

LaSorcia
11-19-2015, 12:22 AM
No, I am happy to hear your answer. I really want to hear a wide range of experiences. Thank you for sharing. Do you think you will go again as an adult?

Search
11-19-2015, 12:33 AM
:bism: (This Arabic phrase means "In the Name of God, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.")

Yes, sis, I'd love to go (sighs).

It would be a dream come true for me; unfortunately, at the moment, I can't afford the trip. But when I can afford it In-sha-Allah (God-willing), one of the first things I'm going to do!

I'd love to go there, soak in the atmosphere, and simply dedicate myself to worship of God without any thought of the world and also love to have a chance to make duas (supplications to God) to be answered In-sha-Allah (God-willing).

It would be all kinds of awesome, fantabulous, and wonderful for me In-sha-Allah!

format_quote Originally Posted by LaSorcia
No, I am happy to hear your answer. I really want to hear a wide range of experiences. Thank you for sharing. Do you think you will go again as an adult?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
LaSorcia
11-23-2015, 09:05 PM
Anyone else who's gone? I think I would be afraid of the large crowd! I was very sad to hear of the accident this year during Hajj.imsad

TMGuide
11-23-2015, 10:27 PM
I went to do the pilgrimage in 2010 (I was 23) alhamdulilaah (all praise to Allaah) It was the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced in my entire life. It was a spiritual awaking, there is so much history we read about and when your there it comes alive. You walk the streets that the prophet and those he loved walked, you perform hajj the way he did wearing what he wore. We read about the prophet going in a cave up the mountains but when you see the mountains your at awe because it will take you hours to get to the top and the prophet use to do that before he become a prophet. We read about how they migrated from Makkah to Madina and when your there driving you realize how times have changed. How much harder it was in his time having to have walked all that way in the dessert heat. Thinking about all this now, it makes me emotional because we take many things for granted. There are no words to describe the feelings you get when you are there. I do know that I was at peace, and I get anxiety from confined spaces and at times with all those people around stuck in a small space I would panic but not my usual panicky self. I would get scared but then feel better after calming myself, I also learned what patience really means while there lol.

I can write about it in more detail but that requires some more time ;D.

I went to Jerusalem as well in 2013 (to visit Al-aqsa alhamdulilaah), is that not 'obligatory' for Christians? I don't know why I assumed it was but I had met many Christians while there and thought it was their pilgrimage (sorry for not knowing much about your religion)

Search
11-23-2015, 10:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by LaSorcia
Anyone else who's gone?
Hey, sorry, sis! I think many members probably haven't gone as usually it's a journey that Muslims undertake in old age, though of course any Muslims of any age can go to Hajj.

So, I'm gonna post some video links of people chronicling or sharing their Hajj journey as you might In-sha-Allah (God-willing) enjoy them, and some include specifically include stories of converts going to Hajj:

Converts to Islam in Hajj

85-year old new Muslim man

Hajj 2012: Our Reflections & Memories

Enjoy!

Take care.

TMGuide
11-24-2015, 06:14 AM
I can not stress the importance of doing hajj while young if one is able of course. I think if I ever get the chance to go again in the near future I will start working out and getting fit at least a month before lol. Hajj tests every part of you, and the older you are the harder it is. May Allaah make it easy for the younger crowd to save money and make it there inshaa allah.

format_quote Originally Posted by Search
Hey, sorry, sis! I think many members probably haven't gone as usually it's a journey that Muslims undertake in old age, though of course any Muslims of any age can go to Hajj.

So, I'm gonna post some video links of people chronicling or sharing their Hajj journey as you might In-sha-Allah (God-willing) enjoy them, and some include specifically include stories of converts going to Hajj:

Converts to Islam in Hajj

85-year old new Muslim man

Hajj 2012: Our Reflections & Memories

Enjoy!

Take care.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.