/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Warm HHUGS - Be the Spring of Hope, In a Winter of Despair

hhugs2013
11-19-2015, 01:52 PM
£20 provides winter clothing for a child£150 helps families struggling with bills£300 enables low income families to survive the Winter£500 shelters a family this Winter hhugs.org.uk/Winter
Text WARM93 £10 to 70070
0207 733 2104

Winter has arrived. As temperatures dip dramatically, those already vulnerable, struggle to survive a dreaded season.
The families HHUGS support already live through considerable financial strain during the rest of the year. Winter only compounds the problems of poverty and lack of support. Many HHUGS families are amongst the 2.3 million in the UK experiencing “fuel poverty”, struggling to afford rising gas and heating bills, and not having adequate clothing to see their children through this season. This comes against a bleak backdrop in the UK, with latest statistics painting a stark picture, where:

• One person could die every seven minutes this winter. The number of excess winter deaths due to people living in cold homes surged last winter to 14,780, a 77% increase above the 5 year average. The cold weather death toll is expected to top 40,000 in 2015, the highest number for 15 years.
  • 2.3 million households in England cannot afford to keep their homes warm this winter, even though 50% of those are in work.
  • Two-fifths of people affected by fuel poverty have had to choose between heating and eating, forced to cut back on food or skip meals.
  • Two-fifths of consumers said they left their oven door open after cooking and a quarter wore a coat, scarf or hat indoors to keep warm rather than turning on their heating. Over a third (36%) of older people in the UK say they live mainly in one room to save money.
  • The 2.2 million children who form a third of the homes living in fuel poverty are twice as likely to be at risk of bronchitis and asthma and four times more at risk of developing multiple mental health problems. Cold housing also negatively affects how children perform at school and their emotional well-being.
  • The cost of cold homes to the NHS in England is estimated to be around £1.36 billion per year
  • Britain is second only to Estonia in Europe for the number of people who struggle to pay their energy bills.

This Winter, if we fail to act...
Sulaiman will be sleeping in his car

Aunty Khadijah, in her stone cold house, will be unable to afford the heating

Yusuf will go without a warm coat and decent shoes to protect him from the cold

But together, we can make a difference. With your support, we can alleviate the harsh effects of the weather this season and remove the anxiety around Winter for those who cannot afford to protect themselves adequately against it.
BE THE SPRING OF HOPE IN A WINTER OF DESPAIR

Taking care of the poor in the winter and protecting them from the cold is a great deed.” [Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali]
A WARMER WINTER WITH HHUGS

• £20 will provide winter clothing for a child

One in two families will be forced to cut back on clothing or food for their children to pay for heating for their homes.

“Whoever clothes (a believer) will be clothed from the green silk of Paradise.” (at-Tirmidhi)

"In Winter, they send us vouchers for clothing and sent us duvets to keep us warm. Allah knows the difference that HHUGS made to my life."

• £150 for the Winter - £50 a month - will support families struggling with bills

Heating a home during long winter nights can be a costly affair. 30% of families say they avoid heating rooms like the bedroom, bathroom or living room because they are worried about the cost and at least 30% of winter deaths are caused by cold homes. Contributing towards a gas and heating bill will provide great relief to a struggling family.

“Please, Aunty, tell me you have gas and electricity”. I said, “How do you know I don’t?”, and then he said, “That’s why I’m asking”. I said I didn’t. He replied, “Don’t worry, I’ll have someone put some money on it for you”. £50. If that is how HHUGS treats a stranger, that’s where I want to be. These guys make it the norm. It’s coming to me from complete strangers, who I call family now.”

• £300 for the Winter – £100 a month - will enable low income families to survive

Our lowest income families find it difficult to manage essentials like rent, food and bills for the best part of the year, so when Winter hits, their struggle becomes even more acute, necessitating further intervention from HHUGS. Two-fifths of people affected by fuel poverty have been forced to cut back on food or skip meals.
“I have to remind myself, ‘stop eating now because you don’t have anything for tomorrow.”

• £500 will shelter a family for a month

Protect a family from the elements and ensure they have a roof over their heads this Winter by contributing to their rent.
"They helped me with rent payments, without which we would be homeless. They paid for food and winter clothing. I had so much debt when I contacted HHUGS but they helped me pay off my rent arrears, my water bill and my council tax arrears, which lifted a huge burden off my shoulders.
HOW DOES WINTER ACTUALLY AFFECT HHUGS FAMILIES?

For those struggling to make ends meet
The house has been raided. The door, broken. The rooms, stone cold. Children are unwell. Heating bills are more than you can afford- a sparse fridge greets you every morning. You are already one of the forgotten ones- who wants to be associated with a family like yours? Isolated and with an arctic winter ahead, dread stirs up within you.
Between a smashed door you cannot afford to repair, lack of basic groceries, children with few clothes appropriate for the cold and an intense level of social isolation - Winter hits HHUGS families the hardest. Fuel costs are rising. Many will face higher bills as energy suppliers ‘make up’ for a dip in profits. Families who already struggle throughout the year now have the added pressure of inflated heating bills which they simply cannot afford. Some are being threatened with having their gas supply cut off altogether because of debts and arrears.
"I didn’t have money for food. My health began to deteriorate. Sometimes people would scream from the letter box, ‘Open the door!’ The situation became unbearable. The gas company, the electric company started to threaten me that they would cut off their services. I had no money to give to them or anything to give to them, nearly every day someone used to knock the door and of course, I was too scared to open the door for anyone. My mother and I would both be shaking. I wouldn’t be able to move in fear that someone would see me.” (Hajar, beneficiary in her 80's)
For those suffering poor health
Alongside the seasonal outbreaks of virus and illness, the onset of Winter exacerbates existing poor health- whether it is respiratory illness, osteoporosis, depression, chronic influenza, infections and weak immune systems. This often hits the very young and the over 60s the worst as they struggle to protect themselves. The number of preventable excess Winter-related deaths continue to rise every year in the UK. The majority of excess winter deaths are caused by cardiovascular diseases – such as stroke and heart attack – and respiratory diseases, such as the flu. The cold affects vulnerable people in particular, for instance by increasing blood pressure, and causing blood to thicken, which can lead to thrombosis. It also lowers resistance to infections.
For those struggling in isolation
Often invisible to the community at large, many HHUGS families are heavily stigmatised and therefore marginalised. After all, who wants to help those tarred with the ‘terror suspect’ brush? Broken families left to fend for themselves throughout the year face the long dark nights of Winter feeling more alone than ever. Extreme cold and long winter nights makes it more difficult for people to leave their homes during these months- compounding the feeling of loneliness and isolation. The prospect of a 50 mile average journey one way to visit a loved one in prison in these arduous conditions is nothing short of daunting. Remaining indoors within a poorly heated home is the only other option.
"In Winter, they would come all the way here at 6am in the morning, to take us there (to the prison) and would wait outside for 2-3 hours so that we get to meet our family, and then bring us back home.”
The effects of loneliness and isolation amongst the elderly can be much worse during the winter months. Extreme weather can mean poor transport links become non-existent and access to the shops and services – and crucially, social networks and activities – ceases. Research shows that social isolation and loneliness increases health risks, puts older people at greater risk of cognitive decline and makes them much more prone to depression.
Be there for those desperately searching for warmth this Winter.
A COAT OF COMPASSION: THE EXAMPLE OF MIS’AR:

Mis’ar (rahimuhullah) saw a Bedouin standing in the sun saying:

'Winter has come, and I have no money; and such a thing can only happen to a Muslim; the people have put on their coats; and ...it is as if I am in Makkah only wearing an ihram…'

So, Mis’ar took off his coat and put it on the man.
[Ibn Rajab]
From warm hearts to warm homes- who will we cloak in compassion this Winter?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
hhugs2013
01-11-2016, 02:45 PM
"“Taking care of the poor in the winter and protecting them from the cold is a great deed.” [Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali]"

hhugs.org.uk/winter
or Text WARM93 £10 to 70070
or Call 0207 733 2104

hhugs2013
01-28-2016, 10:17 AM
Through your support, 57 children have been provided with warm clothing this winter.

132 still require warm clothing!

Just £20 will provide warm clothing for a child this Winter.

Donate hhugs.org.uk/winter
or Text WARM93 £10 to 70070
or Call 0207 733 2104

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.