/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Moderation vs Focus on the work

Physicist
11-23-2015, 05:15 AM
Salaam,

When i'm doing some complicated research, to succeed, i need to get very focused on it.
Avoid many distractions of the everyday life, barely speaking to anyone, avoiding reading news, etc.
During these periods of work, other people may assume me as a very introverted person, some are even trying to abuse, mistaking concentration by weakness.

On the one hand, such concentration periods, lusting weeks or even monthes, may looks like monasticity, which encouraged in some religions, but discouraged in Islam

format_quote Originally Posted by Quran 57:27
ثُمَّ قَفَّيۡنَا عَلَىٰٓ ءَاثَـٰرِهِم بِرُسُلِنَا وَقَفَّيۡنَا بِعِيسَى ٱبۡنِ مَرۡيَمَ وَءَاتَيۡنَـٰهُ ٱلۡإِنجِيلَ وَجَعَلۡنَا فِى قُلُوبِ ٱلَّذِينَ ٱتَّبَعُوهُ رَأۡفَةً۬ وَرَحۡمَةً۬ وَرَهۡبَانِيَّةً ٱبۡتَدَعُوهَا مَا كَتَبۡنَـٰهَا عَلَيۡهِمۡ إِلَّا ٱبۡتِغَآءَ رِضۡوَٲنِ ٱللَّهِ فَمَا رَعَوۡهَا حَقَّ رِعَايَتِهَا*ۖ فَـَٔاتَيۡنَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ مِنۡہُمۡ أَجۡرَهُمۡ*ۖ وَكَثِيرٌ۬ مِّنۡہُمۡ فَـٰسِقُونَ (٢٧)

Then We caused Our messengers to follow in their footsteps; and We caused Jesus, son of Mary, to follow, and gave him the Gospel, and placed compassion and mercy in the hearts of those who followed him. But monasticism they invented - We ordained it not for them - only seeking Allah's pleasure, and they observed it not with right observance. So We give those of them who believe their reward, but many of them are evil-livers
On the other hand, unlike monks, who often using monasticity to avoid their duties, such concentration is just the necessary part to accomplish work.

I've never been living in muslim societies, how such concentration is reflected in Islam?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
11-23-2015, 05:43 AM
Got a quote for you..

"As long as he possesses the means to marry, the Muslim is not permitted to refrain from marriage on the grounds that he has dedicated himself to the service or the worship of Allah and to a life of monasticism and renunciation of the world."

Is that what you are referring to?

:peace:

Physicist
11-23-2015, 06:10 AM
I mean introversion in general.
Is it good or bad to become introvert for a lasting periods if needed for work or study? Or muslim has to be moderate in everything?

Regarding marriage, on my previous experiences, women may be very distracting and jealous husband's attention to his work. But I hope there are modest and wise wifes, who would rather support their husbands than creating problems.

TMGuide
11-23-2015, 06:29 AM
Everything in Islam is done in moderation, especially when it comes to the worship of Allah. It's important not exaggerate and go beyond the limit set by Allaah, and not neglect it and fall short of the limit set by Allaah. We follow the example of the prophet mohammed (peace and blessings be up him) we don't add to anything he did, in terms of worship or neglect the acts of worships he did. For example one cannot say I will pray 6 times a day while the prophet only prayed 5 obligatory prayers or to say I will only pray one obligatory prayer out of the 5.

At the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), when a group of men got together and one of them said, “I will pray at night and never sleep.” Another said, “I will fast and never break my fast.” The third one said, “I will never marry women.” News of that reached the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he said, “What is wrong with people who say such and such? I fast and I break my fast. I sleep, and I marry women. Whoever overlooks my Sunnah does not belong to me.” These people had gone to extremes in religion, and so the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) disowned them, because they overlooked his Sunnah which includes fasting and not fasting, praying at night and sleeping, and marrying women.

So as Muslims we have to be moderate in all our affairs as t
he Prophet (Sallalaahu alaihi wa sallam) said,
“Deen is very easy and whoever overburdens himself in his religion will not be able to continue in that way. So you should not be exaggerators, but try to be near to perfection and receive the good tidings that you will be rewarded; and gain strength by worshipping in the mornings, the nights.” (Sahih Bukhari)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
TMGuide
11-23-2015, 06:38 AM
In in terms of being an introvert so you can study I don't think there is a problem as long as your not neglecting all your other responsibilities. Being a Student of knowdledge in Islam is praised, there have been those who have reached high ranks because they devoted a great amount of time in seeking knowledge while they did not neglect their resposibilties such as taking care of their families needs, they did however make great sacrifices. Such not socializing, worrying about materialistic things, ext. Hope this helps!

format_quote Originally Posted by Physicist
I mean introversion in general.
Is it good or bad to become introvert for a lasting periods if needed for work or study? Or muslim has to be moderate in everything?

Regarding marriage, on my previous experiences, women may be very distracting and jealous husband's attention to his work. But I hope there are modest and wise wifes, who would rather support their husbands than creating problems.

Physicist
11-23-2015, 07:01 AM
Definitely, moderation is what i still need to learn.
Recalling now my life, can see that exaggeration ruined many things.

M.I.A.
11-23-2015, 10:18 AM
i dont think being alone in itself is frowned upon.

the qurans mentioning of hermits... (lol,introvert) is not really unfavourable.

also id like to know which translation you are using.

Physicist
11-23-2015, 10:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
also id like to know which translation you are using.
The quote in the first post, as i recall, is copied from this site's Quran section.
But usually i'm looking in internet for various translations, ie corpus.quran.com contains multiple translations for every Verse. Still, often find it difficult to understand, hope will have enough time to learn Arabic.

ardianto
11-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Salaam, Physicist

It's okay if a Muslim isolate himself temporarily when he need to focus when doing a project, and then when the project has finished he back to his normal life again. What discouraged is if a Muslim isolate himself for lifetime and live as hermit.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.