/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Photography

new2010
11-25-2015, 11:59 PM
Assalamulaikum,

when I remember correctly one of my first questions here was about photography. I need to come up with this question again. I read a lot of stuff and fatawa about this topic and I think I understood entirely. Just want to know something in detail:

a) Is it permissible to take photos of people without printing the image out?
b) would it be permissible to take pictures of people without being able see the face and print them? Same for animals, e.g when you only see the shadow of it.
c) what when humans are in the picture, but you don't focus to them they are only on the picture without that this picture concentrate on them or him?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
11-26-2015, 02:25 AM
photos are fine as they actually capture a reflection - which is natural, as Allah intended it to be seen - and not an artistic representation of an human being. Advised is to not hand these photos up for display but to keep them hidden in drawers etc - according to some scholars.

The stricter interpretation is to not take pics and to even have them in the home is to make sure the Angels will not visit your house.

Scimi

Ridwaan Ravat
11-26-2015, 03:35 AM
Wa alaikum salaam.

The issue of photography has remained a highly debated and contentious issue amongst the scholars.

My advice is that we abstain from unnecessarily photos and use it only at a time of necessity.

Jazakallah, request duaas

new2010
11-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

yes, that's true and I do agree to you. However, this only applies for humans and animals. objects without a soul are out of discussion. What about Video making? I haven't dealt with that issue so far. Are we allowed to make videos of animals? I am interested in becoming photographer or rather photojournalist, but don't want to do any haram. I avoided it to go this way since years, but I actually could do it without taking pictures of things with a soul. Just want to know what the consensus (if there is one) is about video making.

What do you thing about this plan?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Scimitar
11-26-2015, 02:12 PM
bro. image making is forbidden for us - however, we have found that throughout islamic history, the Muslim physicians would make drawings of the human body, and anatomy for educational purposes - so they could work out how the human body functioned etc.

take for example, an illustration of arteries and viscera based on"Mansur's Anatomy" in the Canon of Avicenna (Qanun fi'l-tibb, by Ibn Sina)

avicenna wellcome 02s1 1?w620 -

Had the early Muslims not understood the importance of such necessitated endevours, we'd never have reached such heights in the medical fields during the golden age of Islam.

I have been learning film editing and motion effects at my own pace now for around 4 years, got a camera recently too. You gotta ask yourself, if film making is contested - then why is it plenty of Islamic channels exist both on satellite and through social media channels such as youtube and dailymotion?

And what is the ruling regarding these?

If there is a beneficial purpose to what you are doing then, seek the counsel of a scholar/imam etc and speak with them, explain your intentions - explain that there is islamic media and educational media out there in the real world made by Muslims and listen to what they have to say.

Scimi

new2010
11-28-2015, 01:39 AM
Akhi that issue is totally different. I know image making (drawing) is forbidden in general. Expectation are as you've mentioned above. I've read fatawa about this, so e.g biology drawing etc are permissible as long as you need them for school or educational purposes. However, I am not talking about drawing. Drawing ≠ Photography.

I think if you take what our Ummah is doing as reference, you won't never get authentic evidence. Only because the majority do something, it doesn't proof the rightness of an act. You can see that in Muslim countries they ignore many obligatory things. When we stay on our issue, when we analyse all pictures in newspapers or in television, we'll figure out rapidly, our beloved Ummah don't respect the views of scholars; all that series contains mainly haram content. In newspaper you can see haram pictures. So what the majority of the Ummah is doing can obviously not used as evidence.

According to islamqa.com filming is permissible (http://islamqa.info/en/88180) as long as they are free of evils.

- My question rather was: What when we take pictures of nature and use a human as composition to make the picture more interesting - but only with the expectation you can't see the face of this person. Let's say you only can see him from behind.

- I intend to make documentaries or/and wildlife videos. I cannot think of any restrictions in that as long as the documentaries don't contain any evil. Do I understand that correctly?

Scimitar: How do you deal with music? It's undoubtedly forbidden, but is there a good alternative to music to design the video, except Quran recitation?

new2010
01-05-2017, 06:43 PM
Assalamualaikum,

can someone answer the last question of the last post of mine?

- My question rather was: What when we take pictures of nature and use a human as composition to make the picture more interesting - but only with the expectation you can't see the face of this person. Let's say you only can see him from behind.

- I intend to make documentaries or/and wildlife videos. I cannot think of any restrictions in that as long as the documentaries don't contain any evil. Do I understand that correctly?
Are there any scholars that forbids photographs of landscapes or stuff like airplanes, trains or any other products as shoes etc? What about keeping such pictures at home or do business with them?

talibilm
01-05-2017, 10:10 PM
deleted: double posts

talibilm
01-05-2017, 10:13 PM
doubleposts

talibilm
01-05-2017, 10:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by new2010
Assalamualaikum,

can someone answer the last question of the last post of mine?

Are there any scholars that forbids photographs of landscapes or stuff like airplanes, trains or any other products as shoes etc? What about keeping such pictures at home or do business with them?
:sl:

No. Except humans & animals or any living beings .

Muslim :: Book 24 : Hadith 5272

Muslim b. Subaih reported: I was with Masriuq in the house which had the portrayals of Mary (hadrat Maryan). Thereupon Masriuq said: These are portraits of Kisra. I said: No, these are of Mary. Masruq said: I heard Abdullah b, Mas'ud as saying Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) had said: The most grievously tormented people on the Day of Resurrection would be the painters of pictures. (Muslim said): I read this before Nasr b. 'Ali at-Jahdami and he read it before other narrators, the last one being Ibn Sa'id b Abl at Hasan that a person came to Ibn 'Abbas and said: I am the person who paints picturesp; give me a religious verdict about them. He (Ibn 'Abbas) said to him: Come near me (still further). He came near him so much so that he placed his hand upon his head and said: I am going to narrate to yor what I heard from Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him). I heard him say: All the painters who make pictures would be in the fire of Hell. The soul will be breathed in every picturese prepared by him and it shall punish him in the Hell, and he (Ibn 'Abbas) said: If you have to do it at all, then paint the pictures of trees and lifeless things; and Nasr b. 'Ali confirmed it.

why we should not create pictures of living beings ?

1) Its the order of Allah swt , The King of Kings , its his Law ( imo a copyright)

2) Angels of Mercy do not enter such places, even if it was a Masjid

This is what happened with Prophet

himself
!!!

Narrated Salim's father: Once Gabriel promised to visit the Prophet but he delayed and the Prophet got worried about that. At last he came out and found Gabriel and complained to him of his grief (for his delay). Gabriel said to him, "We do not enter a place in which there is a picture or a dog." ( Bukhari Book #72, Hadith #843)

Note : This is only with the angels of Mercy , Angels of torment like Israeel etc, will enter even if there were even tons of pictures in a room

3) We will not get Ameen of the Angels in our sura fathiha in salah & Dua

4) its a copy right of Allah swt when people never let even make a copy of their copyrighted products made from the constituents that ONLY Allah has gave them how UNFAIR its to intrude into the copy rights of Allah !!! And the roots of misguidance of Shirk started from these pictures of Saints , Prophets , Statutes of Saints , Animals that Iblis -Satan gradually slipped the people into shirk and revering them into as gods itself. we have live examples that we see a Robin hood (Madurai Veeran) character before 300 years from India has been exported and is being worshipped in Malaysia with a New temple. These are the consequences of sculpture of Living beings . Even Idol worship in the Kaaba started in this same way when statues were erected to HONOR some saints to gain support of their followers by Abu Luhay , the Rich Care taker of Kaaba which laid the foundations of idol worship just before 300 years of Prophet

birth . before that they were monotheists in Mecca.

Bukhari :: Book 1 :: Volume 8 :: Hadith 426
Narrated 'Aisha:

Um Salama told Allah's Apostle about a church which she had seen in Ethiopia and which was called Mariya. She told him about the pictures which she had seen in it. Allah's Apostle said, "If any righteous pious man dies amongst them, they would build a place of worship at his grave and make these pictures in it; they are the worst creatures in the sight of Allah."

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.