/* */

PDA

View Full Version : most awkward moment around a non Muslim?

BilalKid
11-26-2015, 12:22 AM
my feet in sink at school toilet ;D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Search
11-26-2015, 12:40 AM
:bism:

:sl:

So, I'm a legal intern and have the privilege from time to time attend courthouse proceedings and also litigate cases.

Most awkward moment:

I was once praying in a private room with the permission of the person in charge at the courthouse; since it was a 4-rakat salat, I was into the prayer and didn't hear any noise when the room opened. One court officer walked in from behind without my knowledge or awareness, and another officer walked in front from another door. Since you're not supposed to converse with anyone during salat, I knew I couldn't respond to their question and yet I was afraid because I didn't know what they would think. Just in time though, I realized that the officer coming in from the front inadvertently broke my salat because there wasn't any barrier and anyone walking in front breaks your salat as per fiqh of salat (Islamic divine regulation of prayer). So, they asked me what I was doing, and I explained to them that I was praying.

The officers were suspicious and told me that they needed me to verify myself as a legal intern; so, I took them to the place where I'd kept my belongings (the attorneys' area of the courthouse) and showed them my I.D. They apologized, and the male officer commented that no one had told them. I was a little tearful, although I had on a brave face. Then, the person in charge found out that this happened and apologized to me and said that I should tell her if anything like this happens again and she will "beat them up for me." Since she's a robust yet old black woman, I laughed at her words and thanked her because I was touched by her show of support.

Next time, in a hearing that I was observing some weeks later, the female officer who'd been part of the above scenario, was working her shift one morning; when I saw her, I smiled at her to show there were no hard feelings, and she was kind of surprised or so I think, but she smiled back.

:wa:

format_quote Originally Posted by BilalKid
my feet in sink at school toilet ;D

strivingobserver98
11-26-2015, 01:21 AM

Had more awkward moments but this is just one. Was praying in the side of the shopping mall next to ticket machine and lot of people walked past.

Little girl: What's that boy doing?
Mummy: He's just praying.
Little girl: Why?
*Silence*

This happened while I was praying, so no opportunity for Dawah because when I finished they left :O.

Scimitar
11-26-2015, 02:22 AM
not sharing :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Search
11-26-2015, 02:31 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
not sharing :D
Oooooooh, Bro Scimi has a secret!

Lol.

:wa:

ayaanaa
11-26-2015, 02:53 AM
"What is that on your head?"
"Do you wear that when you're asleep?"
"I love your hee-jib, it's so exotic."
Real words I've heard from strangers when I occasionally wear a hijab

TMGuide
11-26-2015, 05:42 AM
I always get this, along with does it get hot under there? lol

format_quote Originally Posted by ayaanaa
"What is that on your head?"
"Do you wear that when you're asleep?"
"I love your hee-jib, it's so exotic."
Real words I've heard from strangers when I occasionally wear a hijab

al_Hind
11-26-2015, 09:00 AM
'Why do you cover your face and the rest of your family doesn't?'

That's always an awkward one to answer.

sister herb
11-26-2015, 09:24 AM
While I was walking in the forest (looking for wild berries) from unknown old lady:

"Is here really SO MUCH mosquitos that you have to cover all your head???"

:uuh: Well yeah I keep my hijab to keep mosquitos away... what a great reason.

keiv
11-26-2015, 03:30 PM
For some apparent reason, explaining the act of wadu to non Muslims always seems to present an awkward moment. They look at me with a sense of shock on their face when they hear that we have to wash up after using the bathroom or breaking wadu in general. Then I present them the question of whether or not they think its more hygienic to wash themselves vs wiping themselves with a piece of paper after using the restroom. The conversation usually ends right there

MidnightRose
11-26-2015, 06:20 PM
This thread reminds me of an incident a good friend of mine once experienced.

Colleague: The faculty are meeting up at the local restaurant to celebrate. We’re running late.

Muslim: Doesn’t that restaurant serve alcohol?

Colleague: Yes. Why do you ask?

Muslim: My religion prohibits me from even being around alcohol.

Colleague: We understand. Come on now, let’s go, they’re waiting for us. You don’t have to drink anything.

Muslim: Actually, I have a major problem.

Colleague: What is it?

Muslim: I’m a recovering alcoholic. You know how it is.

Colleague: Wow, I didn’t know. I think you should pass on this one. Don’t worry, I’ll let them know you had a prior commitment.

sister herb
11-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Once I was walking outdoors, I had grey, old hijab and a woodship basket with me as I was looking for mushrooms. I met a little girl who was there with her´s mother. Girl looked at me carefully and asked: "Are you a witch?"

:nervous:

(Her´s mother explained they had read before a storybook where was a picture about witch, who was old lady with scarf and similar basket and who was collecting toads, snakes and fly agarics for the magic potions).

T L
11-26-2015, 10:33 PM
"if you're so worried about showing your hair, why don't you just shave your head?"

This was at a comparative religion talk about women in faith. The woman quoted above was a volunteer working for the police at the time. She was suspended and came to apologise directly to us at our masjid soon after.

LaSorcia
11-26-2015, 10:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by keiv
For some apparent reason, explaining the act of wadu to non Muslims always seems to present an awkward moment. They look at me with a sense of shock on their face when they hear that we have to wash up after using the bathroom or breaking wadu in general. Then I present them the question of whether or not they think its more hygienic to wash themselves vs wiping themselves with a piece of paper after using the restroom. The conversation usually ends right there
Does that mean bathrooms in Muslim homes usually have bidets? I'm not being sarcastic, just trying to learn. Also, I would imagine that Orthodox Jews would understand, given they sometimes still do the ritual washing. Christians who have any idea of their history would understand, too. But in the toilet? Really? Is that because the sink is too high to reach? Or is it a joke that a non-Muslim wouldn't get lol?

Search
11-26-2015, 11:51 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by LaSorcia
Does that mean bathrooms in Muslim homes usually have bidets? I'm not being sarcastic, just trying to learn. Also, I would imagine that Orthodox Jews would understand, given they sometimes still do the ritual washing. Christians who have any idea of their history would understand, too. But in the toilet? Really? Is that because the sink is too high to reach? Or is it a joke that a non-Muslim wouldn't get lol?
Hi, sweetie! (Btw, about to bump your thread to ask for an update!)

Well, I know we have a bidet in our home.

Lol, from what I understand, BilialKid is a 17-year old bloke, and when he says "toilet," I am relatively sure he means the bathroom and in which he uses the sink to wash his feet.

Well, I think keiv means spraying water on your privates.

The wudu (ablution) portion is done in the sink.

However, after doing the private business in the toilet, I think cleansing with water is done immediately to ensure that the privates are clean. I think there's a good scholarly answer on the subject that I'm sharing with you too.

Well, in Islam, in absence of a water source, Muslims are permitted to do dry ablution.

LaSorcia
11-27-2015, 12:55 AM
Haha yes, I should have known that being half British! Silly me!

LaSorcia
11-27-2015, 01:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by erucysae
"if you're so worried about showing your hair, why don't you just shave your head?"

This was at a comparative religion talk about women in faith. The woman quoted above was a volunteer working for the police at the time. She was suspended and came to apologise directly to us at our masjid soon after.
This might not have been as rude as it sounded. This was actually an option for new Christian women in early bible times.

IslamicRevival
11-27-2015, 01:45 AM
When they assume you have a 'girlfriend' and want all the details to satisfy their curiosity. I'm thinking... dude, what's going on in your head

sister herb
11-27-2015, 10:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by LaSorcia
This might not have been as rude as it sounded. This was actually an option for new Christian women in early bible times.
Maybe. But I don´t think that majority of people would know how Christians behaved in early bible times. And by scarf we also have to cover, not only our hairs but head, shoulders and the upper body. We naturally can´t cut them away... ;D

LaSorcia
11-27-2015, 10:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Maybe. But I don´t think that majority of people would know how Christians behaved in early bible times. And by scarf we also have to cover, not only our hairs but head, shoulders and the upper body. We naturally can´t cut them away... ;D
Lol, good points.

Kiro
11-28-2015, 12:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by فرحان

Had more awkward moments but this is just one. Was praying in the side of the shopping mall next to ticket machine and lot of people walked past.

Little girl: What's that boy doing?
Mummy: He's just praying.
Little girl: Why?
*Silence*

This happened while I was praying, so no opportunity for Dawah because when I finished they left :O.
The plot thickens.

T L
11-28-2015, 12:12 PM
As a volunteer working with the police, at a public talk around people of different faiths, it was quite offensive and unprofessional lol so that's why it wasn't taken too well at all!

greenhill
12-02-2015, 01:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by erucysae

Wow! Suspended? Where was that? Very conscientious superiors. Almost surprising..

:peace:

T L
12-02-2015, 09:19 PM
It was like an open invitation to people of all faiths, in a town I used to live. Our local imaam's wife was taking part in a talk regarding women's position in faith, there was a christian speaker and a jewish lady too. Anyway, they had stalls set up in the same place, and one of them was a Metropolitan Police one. And during the 15 minute break, this police volunteer came up to a group of us hijabis quite arrogantly, and she was very intimidating and quite rude in the way that she spoke to us. Not cool, at all :/

LaSorcia
02-26-2016, 12:01 AM
Ok, I'm going to post my most awkward moment around a Muslim. :shade:

My family and I don't eat pork anymore, but bacon was the last thing to go. One day my family was in a grocery store and someone said that we wanted to get bacon. Just then, we noticed a Muslim couple right near us. We didn't want to offend them, so we said, "yeah, we do need some bakin' powder, I think it's down that row."

Another time I was at a barbeque, and someone asked a Muslim woman if she wanted a pork chop. I think she was just too stunned to answer, since she just stood there staring. I told them that Muslims don't eat pork and the person was really embarrassed.

noraina
04-11-2016, 11:43 AM
I always end up saying 'insha'Allah' or 'ma'sha'Allah' or bismillah in front of, well, anyone when it comes to mind and I wonder what they thought I was saying.

Once when I went for my exams the other students were a little late, I thought I might as well read my salah now than after, it'll just take five minutes. I asked the teacher who let me pray in a small study room. Anyway the exam officer came in when I just gone into my sujood saying 'I was wondering where you were', then she said 'Are you alright', then a split second later she realised and was like 'I am so sorry, how clumsy of me I'll wait for you outside the door, I am so so sorry'. All while I was in sujood - it was all I could do not to laugh. :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.