/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is this haram??

*charisma*
12-01-2015, 10:18 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Ok so I have always thought that food that had contained any alcoholic ingredients is haram. For example, if a sauce contains wine, then that sauce would be considered haram to consume because wine is haram whether in small or large quantities. Or for example if a cake had vanilla extract in it, then it would be haram because vanilla extract is made by soaking vanilla pods in alcohol.

Then I read these articles:

http://islamqa.info/en/184243
http://islamqa.info/en/33763

These articles seem to suggest that if a small amount of alcohol is added as an ingredient into a product, and eating large quantities of that product will not make you drunk, then it is not haram to consume?? Or am I interpreting it incorrectly.

I've been studying all night so I don't know if my brain is already too tired to comprehend this lol.

I'm totally confused....help???

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
greenhill
12-01-2015, 10:39 PM
I would feel that this is where there will be divided opinions..

Although it is quite clear what is stated, waswas still creeps in. Only way is to look at intention.

Btw, it does say what you're saying and it makes perfect sense to me.

:peace:

M.I.A.
12-01-2015, 10:44 PM
Have some red bull

*runs away*

No actually I ran to the kitchen.. My vanilla essence has never seen a vanilla pod.

Says halal on the side lol..

Sorry ya caught me on a slow day.

I'd say stay off the sauce... Sorry.

Production processes can use alcohol but its probably not the same as added wine.

Sometimes things that you would not even suspect can be.. Suspect..

Apple juice can be clarified using gelatine sometimes. Not great.

..red bull contains tourine was a big thing a decade ago.

*charisma*
12-01-2015, 11:20 PM
I don't drink red bull +o( , and vanilla essense is just a flavoring so it doesn't contain any alcohol...but I'm just asking because some things like kefir and sauerkraut produce alcohol during fermentation...never had either though, but I was looking into them since they're very healthy for the gut.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
M.I.A.
12-01-2015, 11:31 PM
I have no idea.. I work in a cake shop.

Good luck with studying.

Hope you find an answer you are comfortable with.

Search
12-01-2015, 11:33 PM
:bism:

:sl:

A good resource on haram/halal products is Muslim Consumer Group.

Alcohol existing in food naturally

Ruling on taking medicine that contains alcohol

:wa:

MuslimInshallah
12-02-2015, 02:26 AM
Assalaamu alaikum,

(smile) Mmm... I have wondered about kefir, myself. I used to drink it until one day, I found some rather old kefir in my fridge that was unopened, and it seemed ok, so I drank it. But it tasted rather odd, and I could smell the alcohol on my breath a little while after drinking it (the body gets rid of some of the alcohol through the lungs). It also gave me a headache and made me feel unpleasantly odd. So I decided not to drink it again.

(smile) Perhaps just avoiding old kefir would be all that is necessary... but how to know exactly when is too old? As the alcohol content can sometimes be quite high (enough to have an effect), it seems to me that kefir is a bit of a grey zone.

There are other ways of getting "good" bacteria into your gut. Not only are there probiotics (such as plain yoghurt), but there are also prebiotics, that are foods that encourage the growth of "good" bacteria in your gut. Prebiotics contain non-digestible (by humans. But food for the "good" bacteria) carbohydrates. For a quick intro, try this link: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/faq-20058065

May Allah, the Oft-Forgiving, Guide us in our choices.

ZeeshanParvez
12-02-2015, 02:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

Ok so I have always thought that food that had contained any alcoholic ingredients is haram. For example, if a sauce contains wine, then that sauce would be considered haram to consume because wine is haram whether in small or large quantities. Or for example if a cake had vanilla extract in it, then it would be haram because vanilla extract is made by soaking vanilla pods in alcohol.

Then I read these articles:

http://islamqa.info/en/184243
http://islamqa.info/en/33763

These articles seem to suggest that if a small amount of alcohol is added as an ingredient into a product, and eating large quantities of that product will not make you drunk, then it is not haram to consume?? Or am I interpreting it incorrectly.

I've been studying all night so I don't know if my brain is already too tired to comprehend this lol.

I'm totally confused....help???

format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
I would feel that this is where there will be divided opinions..

Although it is quite clear what is stated, waswas still creeps in. Only way is to look at intention.

Btw, it does say what you're saying and it makes perfect sense to me.

Give this a read

greenhill
12-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Thank you @ZeeshanParvez .... yes the article I read as per the links given by charisma in the OP says the same thing as what your link says. Hence my last statement that it makes perfect sense to me.. :D

Khalid Saifullah
12-02-2015, 08:22 AM
Wasal

According to my understanding, a small or great amount of wine is prohibited in Islam - irrespective of whether it induces intoxication or not.

But in cases like the above, if the minute amount is of a synthetic nature, then it would be ok .... The alcohol is used a chemical solvent.

And Allâh knows best

new2010
12-02-2015, 09:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
Have some red bull

*runs away*

No actually I ran to the kitchen.. My vanilla essence has never seen a vanilla pod.

Says halal on the side lol..

Sorry ya caught me on a slow day.

I'd say stay off the sauce... Sorry.

Production processes can use alcohol but its probably not the same as added wine.

Sometimes things that you would not even suspect can be.. Suspect..

Apple juice can be clarified using gelatine sometimes. Not great.

..red bull contains tourine was a big thing a decade ago.
Bro, if you want to have a heart attack go ahead. Red bull is the worst you can do. That stuff contains chemicals that block up arteries and this is basically the reason that causes heart attacks.

ardianto
12-03-2015, 04:08 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
There is difference between "arose/appeared" and "added". If alcohol is arose/appeared in the making process of a drink, and consume this drink will not make you drunk no matter how much you consume, this this drink is not categorized as khamr, and not haram. However, if the alcohol is coming from khamr that added, then this drink become haram. In example, you make fruit cocktail, and you add few drops of wine in it, then this cocktail become haram although you just add few drops of wine.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.