/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Our duty!!!

ajr
12-02-2015, 08:30 AM
Duties to our Parents

We are told to be dutiful to our parents even if one or both attains old age

“And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents. If one of them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them but address them in terms of honour.” ‪#‎Quran‬ 17:23

Muhammad SAW said 'Goodness towards ones parents is the greatest obligation'
Mizanul Hikmah, Volume 10, Page 709

As children we shouldn't get even upset with our parents or have a look of contempt. Honoring parents can be a form of worship if it is done to please Allah SWT

Our parents are deserving of our kindness

“And lower unto them the wing of submission and humility through mercy, and say: ‘My Lord! Bestow on them Your Mercy as they did bring me up when I was small.’” #Quran 17:24

Imam as-Sadiq (peace be upon him) has said: “Goodness towards the parents is an indication of a person’s excellent cognizance of Allah. This is because there is no worship that can take a person towards the happiness of Allah faster than exhibiting respect towards his Muslim parents for the sake of Allah.”
Biharul Anwar, Volume 74, pg.77

Allah SWT prohibits the bad treatment of parents. In another verse Allah SWT links the right owed to him to the rights owed to parents

“And We have enjoined on man (to be dutiful and good) to his parents. His mother bore him in weakness and hardship upon weakness and hardship, and his weaning is in two years give thanks to Me and to your parents, unto Me is the final destination.” #Quran 31:14

The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him and his family) has said: “One who performs Hajj on behalf of his parents and repays their debts shall be raised by Allah on the Day of Judgement amongst the righteous ones.”
Kanzul `Ummal, Volume 16, Page 468

How Merciful Allah SWT is with his creation....One of His Attributes is Ar-Raheem (the Merciful)...we get so much reward for showing kindness to our parents...

Prophet Muhammad reinforced the duty to be kind to parents. A companion of the Prophet once asked him which of the many good deeds a man can do is the most loved by God. Prophet Muhammad answered him by saying, “To offer the prayer in its proper time”. The companion then asked, “And what is next?” to which Prophet Muhammad replied, “To be good and dutiful to your parents...The responsibility to be kind and good to parents comes right after the greatest duty in Islam, the prayer.

Imam as-Sadiq (peace be upon him) had said: “What prevents a person from doing good to his parents - whether alive or dead - by offering prayers, giving charity, performing Hajj on behalf of them, (knowing that) the rewards of these acts are also granted to him, in addition to his parents? Besides, due to his good deeds and prayers (for them), Allah, the Mighty and the Glorious, shall grant him abundant good.”
Biharul Anwar, Volume 74, Page 46

Islam the way of life offers us a complete breakdown on how to treat our parents, we should break the barrier and fulfill our role in society. Often we find children ill treating parents and it becomes an acceptable norm in society.

The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him and his family) has stated: “On the Day of Judgment there shall be four groups of people upon whom Allah shall not cast His look of mercy: those who have been disowned by their parents, those who place obligations upon others after doing good to them, those who reject the concept of fate and destiny and the one who consumes intoxicants.”
Biharul Anwar, Volume 74, Page 71

Always remember, parents care for and nurture children their entire lives, but at some point that role reverses (at this point, you should count yourself lucky) you get to be on the receiving end of Allahs Mercy. The Reward for displaying compassion, kindness, humility etc is with Allah

Imam ar-Ridha (peace be upon him) relates that the Noble Prophet (peace be upon him and his family) has said: “Be good and kind to your parents so that your recompense is paradise, and if you have been disowned by them, your abode shall be the fire (of Hell).”
Al-Kafi, Volume 2, page 348

A muslim is obliged to show respect toward his parents, being dutiful towards them and treating them with kindness is embedded in the teachings of Islam, we are taught to obey our parents, except if our parents demand that we disobey Allah

“But if they (both) strive with you to make you join in worship with Me others that of which you have no knowledge, then obey them not, but behave with them in the world kindly, and follow the path of him who turns to Me in repentance and in obedience. Then to Me will be your return, and I shall tell you what you used to do.” #Quran 31:15

Don't despair...
Imam Zainul `Abidin (peace be upon him) relates: “Once a person approached the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him and his family) and said: ‘O’ Prophet of Allah! I have committed every known evil act. Is there a chance that I may be forgiven?’ The Messenger of Allah asked him: ‘Are any of your parents still alive?’ The man replied: ‘My father.’ He said to him: ‘Go and be good and kind to him.’ When he left, the Messenger of Allah muttered: ‘If only his mother had been alive.’”
Biharul Anwar, Volume 74, Page 82

May Allah Reward us for implementing the rights of parents....

Allah knows best

*Our parents are blessings, dont delay showing them love. We dont know how long we have this blessing for.*

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.