/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Greeting cards during the festive season?

Ridwaan Ravat
12-07-2015, 11:36 AM
QUESTION

Is it permissible to send seasonal greeting cards to non-Muslims at the time of Christmas so long as there are no religious symbols on them and without the intention of celebrating or supporting Christmas?

ANSWER

The granting of gifts and cards at any occasion is a sign of revering and honouring that particular occasion or the person it is given to. The exchange of cards during the festive season of Christmas is a well-known prevalent practice among non-Muslims. Hence, adopting such a practice will not be permissible. Rasulullāh ﷺ said:

“Whoever imitates a nation will be amongst them.”

Further, with specific reference to taking part in non-Islamic festivities, consider the following narration of ‘Abdullāh Ibn ‘Amr RA:

“Whoever resides in the lands of the non-Arabs and then celebrates their religious occasions (Nairūz and Mahrajān) and emulates their practices and thereafter dies in such a condition, he shall be raised with them on the day of Qiyāmah.”

You seem to draw a difference between Christmas cards and plain greeting cards. It is important to understand that it is not only the nature of the card that plays a role in changing a ruling. Many other factors such as the occasion, the nature and content of the greeting, etc. are also considered.

Our Fuqahā have taken a very harsh stance on this matter and have classified the act of granting a non-Muslim a gift during his/her religious festival as Harām and further, an act of Kufr in some circumstances.

Adopting and imitating any of the practices of the Kuffār on such occasions has also been classified as an act of Kufr. Further, the practice of wishing a ‘happy occasion’ and giving ‘seasonal greetings’ has also been PROHIBITED. Hence, sending out ‘greeting’ cards will NOT BE PERMISSIBLE.

Consider the following quotations from our Fuqahā:

“If a Muslim says: ‘May you have a happy occasion’, he will have COMMITTED Kufr.”

“Joining the Nairūz (religious Eid) of the Jews and imitating any of the actions that they carry out on that day is an act of Kufr.”

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Nabeel Valli

Student Darul Iftaa

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strivingobserver98
12-07-2015, 01:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
How do I avoid invites from friends I've regularly visited and not wish them anything when I meet them?
Maybe...

Greenhill: Hey uhh, I don't celebrate christmas but I'll see you around next week :).
Your friend: Haha that's fine, tell me more about Islam.
Greenhill: Will do :D.
Greenhill: Oh uhh, make sure you come to my Eid party. I'll cook you some chicken tandoori :p.
Your friend: Rock on dude, your the best.

greenhill
12-07-2015, 01:31 PM
They know I don't celebrate Christmas. They do already come to my 'open house' during syawal. it's like going for someone's birthday and not wishing them. But when they come over, they wish me. I can explain to them. It will be awkward.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.