/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic Homeschooling

HappyMuslimaa
12-08-2015, 03:22 AM
Do any sisters or brothers have experience homeschooling islamically?
I have multiple curriculums from public Islamic schools but I want to hear from those with experience the system you may use
. There are no Islamic schools in my area in the Us,and I'm not keen on public schools either, so inshallah our children inshallah will be home schooled.
Even if you don't have experience homeschooling, I would love to hear thoughts on the subject.
Thank you for your time

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MuslimInshallah
12-08-2015, 03:55 AM
Assalaamu alaikum Happy,

(smile) This topic has been a little discussed before. You could try this thread: http://www.islamicboard.com/family-a...=homeschooling

(smile) I myself have homeschooled with my children. Do I think it's a good thing? (smile) Yes. There are always bumps and adjustments to make along the way, but overall, I think this has been the best option for my children.

As for curricula... (smile) many new homeschoolers buy up tons of these. But you really don't need them. Just look around for specific resources that fit you and your child (and be prepared to modify your choices if they're not working out). And chat with a variety of veteran homeschoolers.

(smile) May Allah, the Independent, Guide and Support us in our efforts to be good to our children, and Pleasing to Him.

HappyMuslimaa
12-08-2015, 04:24 AM
Jazakallah khayr musliminshallah for your response! I am new here and have not ventured too far in the boards

noraina
12-10-2015, 02:14 PM
Assalamu Alaykum
I am home-educated myself, Alhamdulillah. The most amazing thing about home-education is the flexibility within it. You can make a more Islamic-oriented curriculum while also studying the secular subjects, and because it is largely one-to-one, your children can advance at their own pace and as a parent you can really cultivate their talents and establish a strong sense of self-esteem and self-concept - if you have a bright child there is no reason why you cannot move them up a couple of years as well if they feel ready for it.

Personally, we didn't follow any particular curriculum. We chose the subjects we wanted to do, made up our own timetables, and chose the specific exam boards we wanted to take examinations with, and following their subject specifications just collected the information we needed from the library and the internet. Alhamdulillah I have passed many of my exams with the highest grades, all thanks to Allah.

Experiment and see what works for you and your family.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
HappyMuslimaa
12-11-2015, 01:00 AM
Mashallah. Where do you live if I may ask? Many states in the us, and cities restrict curriculum unless they're certified as a teacher/tudor

HappyMuslimaa
12-11-2015, 01:01 AM
*tutor

TMGuide
12-11-2015, 01:25 AM
I am thinking about t homeschooling my children, we also don't have Islamic schools. However we do have co ops at the masjid where sisters who homeschool their childeren get together and teach together. Many sisters are opting out for this option here Mashaa Allah, so I do have some great resources around alhamdulilaah.

HappyMuslimaa
12-11-2015, 07:07 AM
TMGuide I will definitely check to see if the mosque here has a group like this! Jazakallah khayr for your reply!

noraina
12-11-2015, 02:10 PM
I live in the UK - however I do know that in the US there is a thriving home-schooling community in the Christian and Muslim communities and you would be able to find plenty of support from other sisters there inshaAllah.

As for curriculums, in the UK they are not restricted but my parents have never needed them and I do not think they are necessary. We chose our subjects and resources ourselves and study in the way which suits and interests us.
I am not sure how old your children are, I am assuming they are in primary, once they reach the age for GCSEs (I think they are O-levels in America?) that is when you need to contact schools and exam boards.
Here are a couple of sweet homeschooling blogs with nice ideas.
I am not allowed to post links yet :mmokay: but here the names of two sweet Muslim homeschooling blogs if you type them up on Google

amuslimhomeschool
muslimhomeschoolblog

BarakAllahu feek!

IslamicSelfHelp
01-24-2017, 01:39 PM
Check out this article on 'is homeschooling right for me?' http://www.islamicselfhelp.com/2015/...-right-for-me/

aaj
01-24-2017, 02:54 PM
Home school is a growing trend among the Christians and the rich and the celebrities in the US. There are abundant resources available for free for those wanting to homeschool. And you can also find groups that are engaging in this. There are families who are home school who gather together to plan field trips and other group activities for the kids. Of course these are non-Muslims but you could find Muslims as well.

I knew of a sister long ago who was doing HS from home. The board of education was paying for her books and even her internet. The sent her a computer to use at home as well. And then the students also have the option to remote into actual school classes as well as even go in for that one class if they want. There's lot of flexibility in it.

noraina
01-24-2017, 05:15 PM
For the most part, I've noticed that *most* of those who homeschool their children are usually motivated by religious beliefs and the fact that they believe the educational system doesn't really allow children to achieve their true potential.

I was homeschooled from the ages of 10 to until I finished school. I started university this year and for myself I really feel that being homeschooled has given me the best opportunities I could have and allowed me to find my own path in life without any pressures from anything else - it is of course a very individual choice so whatever suits someone and their family/lifestyle inshaAllah.

And sadly in our area there's no support for homeschooling families - it's almost like they actively try to discourage it by completely leaving you on your own. But I've heard in other cities and especially in the US there is a lot support ma'sha'Allah.

Umm♥Layth
01-25-2017, 01:09 PM
I started homeschooling my eldest almost a year ago and we love it so far. We use a bonafied US curriculum called time4learning which children can do at their own pace and we supplement math with Khan Academy.

My child works independently with not much interference from me. I don't have an islamic curriculum just yet as we are still feeling tings out, but we are able to do hifth and quran every morning now that we don't have to rush out the door for school. I hired a private hifth teacher I found on facebook and we use studio Arabiya for Quran and they also offer other courses for children.

There are online Islamic schools which cover everything for you as well, but I feel those are very long. The self paced option allows the child to work more efficiently. We're pretty much done with all schoolwork by 11:00AM every day (we start our day long before fajr), then we have a nap and the rest of the day is for chores, reading, arts and crafts etc.

It takes a bit to figure out what works for you and your child/children so don't hesitate or doubt yourself. I personally don't think that homeschooling is a "trend", it is something that was done long before the institutionalized school system was introduced and some of the biggest contributors to society all throughout history were home schooled.

Scimitar
01-25-2017, 01:13 PM
Public schools do not teach "logic"... private ones do, because they are grooming children to be leaders - whereas public schools are grooming children to be obedient sheep. Priveleged education, eh?

If you are homeschooling, do not forget the subject of "logic" in sha Allah.

Scimi

noraina
01-25-2017, 02:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm♥Layth
I started homeschooling my eldest almost a year ago and we love it so far. We use a bonafied US curriculum called time4learning which children can do at their own pace and we supplement math with Khan Academy.

My child works independently with not much interference from me. I don't have an islamic curriculum just yet as we are still feeling tings out, but we are able to do hifth and quran every morning now that we don't have to rush out the door for school. I hired a private hifth teacher I found on facebook and we use studio Arabiya for Quran and they also offer other courses for children.

There are online Islamic schools which cover everything for you as well, but I feel those are very long. The self paced option allows the child to work more efficiently. We're pretty much done with all schoolwork by 11:00AM every day (we start our day long before fajr), then we have a nap and the rest of the day is for chores, reading, arts and crafts etc.

It takes a bit to figure out what works for you and your child/children so don't hesitate or doubt yourself. I personally don't think that homeschooling is a "trend", it is something that was done long before the institutionalized school system was introduced and some of the biggest contributors to society all throughout history were home schooled.
Ma'sha'Allah, that sounds like a good routine.

When I began homeschooling, one of the perks was finishing school much earlier and having more time to do my hobbies. Now I'll start working from around Fajr and be done by lunch, the day just seems so much longer that way lol.

And I've said before, one the best things is that children can really go at their own pace - and certain children really excel when it is one-to-one teaching.

Homeschooling is a bigger thing in the US than it is here, I think. Did you join any homeschooling groups or are you doing it on your own?

noraina
01-25-2017, 02:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Public schools do not teach "logic"... private ones do, because they are grooming children to be leaders - whereas public schools are grooming children to be obedient sheep. Priveleged education, eh?

If you are homeschooling, do not forget the subject of "logic" in sha Allah.

Scimi
True, most public schools are just there to teach children the type of 'academic' intelligence that will get them A-C grades and a higher place in the league tables. They don't do enough to prefer people for the much larger and more real life which is outside of school.

And one of the best things you can teach someone is to think for themselves, and not just absorb everything they are told or read.

azc
01-25-2017, 03:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HappyMuslimaa
Do any sisters or brothers have experience homeschooling islamically? I have multiple curriculums from public Islamic schools but I want to hear from those with experience the system you may use . There are no Islamic schools in my area in the Us,and I'm not keen on public schools either, so inshallah our children inshallah will be home schooled. Even if you don't have experience homeschooling, I would love to hear thoughts on the subject. Thank you for your time
My late mother was my first teacher. She taught me Quran and salah. Also My late father taught me basic Islamic knowledge. May Allah swt place my parents in paradise . Ameen

Umm♥Layth
01-25-2017, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Ma'sha'Allah, that sounds like a good routine.

When I began homeschooling, one of the perks was finishing school much earlier and having more time to do my hobbies. Now I'll start working from around Fajr and be done by lunch, the day just seems so much longer that way lol.

And I've said before, one the best things is that children can really go at their own pace - and certain children really excel when it is one-to-one teaching.

Homeschooling is a bigger thing in the US than it is here, I think. Did you join any homeschooling groups or are you doing it on your own?
Yes! That's what I want for my children. I want to instill a productive lifestyle where they wake early and do all of their work before duhr time so they have much more time to do what they like. It sounds like that's how it worked out for you, masha'Allah :)

I'm doing it all on my own, Alhamdullilah. I have not reached out to groups as I don't really feel I need support and we have moved twice in one year so that's also a factor lol. We're no longer in the US and homeschooling has really helped the moving transitions.

As far as private schools are concerned, I believe private schools vary in quality. For example, the Islamic Private schools I have experience with are not much better than public schools. The difference is that the incorporate Islamic Education into their curriculum (which is great), but the academics are no different. They teach the same one sided history and train children to get good scores on tests. Testing is priority. At no point did I see children being allowed to truly think for themselves, explore their creativity or develop leadership qualities. That's why I homeschool now.

Interesting to note, even Elon Musk, owner of Tesla Motors and SpaceX pulled his kids out of the most prestigious private school in California to homeschool them and now provides a homeschool environment for the children of SpaceX workers.

Ummshareef
01-25-2017, 05:43 PM
:sl:

It's really interesting reading about everyone's experience with homeschooling. We're going down the Islamic boarding school route with my kids, but I often wonder if homeschooling might have worked out for them. I guess I did not feel I had enough knowledge, Islamic and secular, to take it on myself at home and there didn't seem sufficient resources available to help, though that may have changed. Also, I was keen for them to be surrounded by other motivated young Muslims in a strong Islamic learning environment.

noraina
01-25-2017, 05:52 PM
As far as private schools are concerned, I believe private schools vary in quality. For example, the Islamic Private schools I have experience with are not much better than public schools. The difference is that the incorporate Islamic Education into their curriculum (which is great), but the academics are no different. They teach the same one sided history and train children to get good scores on tests. Testing is priority. At no point did I see children being allowed to truly think for themselves, explore their creativity or develop leadership qualities. That's why I homeschool now.
This sounds so much like my mum Allahumma barik.

She particularly didn't like the emphasis on testing, and the way they are made to be the 'be all and end all' of a young person's education. Testing is fine, but nobody should be categorised based on a grade they got on a paper.

My mother says she might have put me into a girls Islamic school, only there are none where I live, so we found homeschooling which worked out surprisingly well alhamdulillah.

aaj
01-25-2017, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummshareef

It's really interesting reading about everyone's experience with homeschooling. We're going down the Islamic boarding school route with my kids, but I often wonder if homeschooling might have worked out for them. I guess I did not feel I had enough knowledge, Islamic and secular, to take it on myself at home and there didn't seem sufficient resources available to help, though that may have changed. Also, I was keen for them to be surrounded by other motivated young Muslims in a strong Islamic learning environment.
:wasalam:

You don't really need much experience yourself. All the courses come as a full package on their own and as ummLayth said, the material is there for the kids to manage it on their own. At a young age they may need guidance and direction starting those programs out but after that it's the program and them. Regarding islamic schools so called "islamic " learning environment. I"ve observed teaching at isalmic school and secular schools as a student teacher and did not see much difference. The islamic school had majority non-Muslim teachers anyways. and the boys/girls were hanging out together at school and after school outside. With the high dating and fornication in the youth of the ummah, islamic schools are helping somewhat but no where near as they should and how can they when all teachers hired are non-Muslims, besides the quran and arabic teacher. whose teaching them islamic values? I believe homeschooling is the optimal choice these days, especially given the times we live in and the state of the ummah and the youth. And not everyone can afford islamic schools.

Umm Malik
01-25-2017, 11:21 PM
http://www.ihsaanhomeacademy.com/201...esson.html?m=1

Umm Malik
01-25-2017, 11:22 PM
http://www.ihsaanhomeacademy.com/201...chool.html?m=1

Umm Malik
01-25-2017, 11:29 PM
I have a friend from the UK she do homeschooling her daughter and mashallah put a lot of things in her site homeschooling curriculum " ihsan academy"
I send the link above and it have free books to download for free and she put also the book to buy if you want
I hope that can help you sister

MuslimInshallah
01-26-2017, 02:46 AM
Assalaamu alaikum,

(smile) A lot of new homeschoolers feel they need curricula. But over time, many find that they prefer to tailor life experiences and offer good books to read instead. The core subjects (language and math) need some work (and a bit of discipline from the parents), especially in the earlier grades (before your children are sufficiently literate and numerate to be able to continue by themselves), but other topics are a lot more flexible. Offer your children opportunities and resources.. and lots of time to think and play... and support what they feel drawn to as a vocation. (smile) And they will work at whatever is needed for them to fulfil this inner calling.

Someone mentioned StudioArabiya... (smile) I have recently had some experience with this resource, and so far, so good. It was recommended to me by a reliable person, and it has been a pleasure discovering it. There may be some bumpy patches (such as technical issues), but the StudioArabiya team is very helpful and responds quickly to any issues.

May Allah, the Kind, Reward all those who strive hard to please Him through service to their families.

Umm♥Layth
01-28-2017, 01:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummshareef

format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
Assalaamu alaikum,

(smile) A lot of new homeschoolers feel they need curricula. But over time, many find that they prefer to tailor life experiences and offer good books to read instead. The core subjects (language and math) need some work (and a bit of discipline from the parents), especially in the earlier grades (before your children are sufficiently literate and numerate to be able to continue by themselves), but other topics are a lot more flexible. Offer your children opportunities and resources.. and lots of time to think and play... and support what they feel drawn to as a vocation. (smile) And they will work at whatever is needed for them to fulfil this inner calling.

Someone mentioned StudioArabiya... (smile) I have recently had some experience with this resource, and so far, so good. It was recommended to me by a reliable person, and it has been a pleasure discovering it. There may be some bumpy patches (such as technical issues), but the StudioArabiya team is very helpful and responds quickly to any issues.

May Allah, the Kind, Reward all those who strive hard to please Him through service to their families.
Yes! I was going to say something similar but was in a hurry when I posted. Choosing a curriculum gives parents more confidence to jump into the homeschooling wagon, but in the last year I have found that a curriculum isn't really necessary and can actually be used as a guide rather than a stand alone. For example, I am not pleased with the history section, US history is very deceptive so what I'm doing this coming school year is replacing that section with world history of my choice and I'm using stories of the prophets as a guide so it is also Islamic studies. Alhamdullilah.

If allowed, kids will gravitate towards their interests and start blooming rather quickly. As parents, that's where we step in. We're supposed to feed their natural inclinations by providing the materials and guidance they need to develop and learn. The first step is to just jump in! You'll gain confidence with time insha'Allah.

noraina
01-28-2017, 02:17 PM
Definitely, in my first year of homeschooling we did use the curriculum, but my mother soon decided we didn't need the National Curriculum and we began organising our own lessons from then.

I have been studying Arabic calligraphy for three years now alhamdulillah. My parents decided to include that as a subject in my studies, and brought the necessary materials and books. They also decided that to understand nature is important, so we got a flock of lovely chickens and they've been so educational, :D. I chose whatever I wanted to do and gravitated to what I was interested in, and my parents guided me along the way.

When my parents started out with homeschooling, they were really nervous and unsure - but with time it just becomes a daily routine. And it is definitely a commitment and a long-term journey - but if your circumstances allow it and you think it would be good for your family, just go for it.

Umm♥Layth
01-28-2017, 02:23 PM
Thank you for sharing your perspective! I really treasure it as I've never spoken to a person who has been home schooled before. How did you enroll in college/uni? Can you explain the process?

noraina
01-28-2017, 02:37 PM
Thank you for sharing your perspective! I really treasure it as I've never spoken to a person who has been home schooled before. How did you enroll in college/uni? Can you explain the process?
I haven't really spoken to anyone who is doing homeschooling, there aren't many us around, lol.

I have just begun university this year, it isn't all too hard once you've done your research. In the UK, everyone needs to have 3 passing A-level grades in order to get into a university. So I did A-levels in Religious Studies, Psychology and Sociology - I basically enrolled with a secondary school as a private candidate (that way you can still study at home while being able to take exams there) and then using the curriculums for those subjects from an exam board, I just took those exams. You just have to pay the school exam fees, show up on exam day and then they send you the results.

And then we enrolled with an online university, they obviously need ID and evidence of your grades, but then I just study online and whenever there are exams I have to physically go the university and take them there. If you chose a local university, it would be exactly the same only you wouldn't have to do it online. I've heard universities actually do give preference to home-educated students.

I hope I make sense, if you want to know anything else or clear anything just ask, I'd love to help if I can inshaAllah.

Zeal
01-28-2017, 02:53 PM
I'm pro-homeschooling too and I think it would have been highly beneficial for me but I was enrolled into public school. Alhamdulillah, I was one of those naturally smart kids I didn't even have to try to get good grades I would've easily got A's in my GCSE's in year 8 but then because there was no real focus on the smart kids alot of potential was wasted and I wasted most of my time either bunking or just messing around because of that(yr 8,9,10+11). I still got a bunch of A's alot of people we're shocked but it doesn't matter because now, being totally honest, I have a complete disinterest in secular education but it IS something you neeeeeeed alot

MuslimInshallah
01-29-2017, 10:25 AM
How did you enroll in college/uni? Can you explain the process?
Assalaamu alaikum Umm Layth,

(smile) Getting into university tends to be pretty easy (much easier than getting a high school diploma for a homeschooler, we discovered!), but you need to approach the universities you are interested in and find out their particular policies. There are many possible routes you can go. The ones we investigated were:

1) Taking standardized tests such as SAT's.

2) Enrolling in an online accredited university (be careful to make sure that the institution is recognized by other institutions), then after successfully taking a certain number of courses, transfer into your local university (find out the local university's particular requirements).

3) Submitting a request to become a special student, based on your homeschooling activities (again, ask the university what they require). After you successfully pass a certain amount of classes, then apply to become a regular student. This is useful for younger teens who are not ready for full-time university anyway, but who have the capacity to take one or two classes per semester.

4) Apply as a mature student (for somewhat (not much) older people who have homeschooled).

I have more experience with universities, as none of my children have gone to specialized colleges, but I have seen some openness by some colleges to accept homeschoolers. Again, you need to contact whichever institutions you are interested in and ask them how to proceed. (smile) And don't be discouraged if some institutions are closed-minded... others will be very happy to accept homeschoolers. Indeed, some institutions actively try to recruit homeschoolers.

It is also helpful to connect with other homeschoolers for tips and support. If you have a homeschool advocacy or legal defence organisation in your locality, then contact it for help and information. Here in Canada, we have the HSLDA (Homeschool Legal Defence Association). There is a related organization in the US. Don't wait till you have an urgent need for help, or a deadline for a submission to contact these groups. It is best to contact them as soon as you start considering homeschooling; they have resources that can inform your decisions, and they may have policies to only defend previously-registered members. And if you did not do so yet, Umm Layth, I would encourage you to contact them now. You never know when problems might turn up...

One final note: many homeschoolers worry that their child needs a High School Diploma, before being able to access College or University. This is often not true. Universities in particular tend to be flexible and much easier to approach than school authorities (in my experience- but each local area has it's own realities... so investigate what your own local realities are).

(smile) Anyway, I pray all will go well for you and your family.

May God, the the Compassionate, Guide us to that which is Pleasing to Him.

noraina
01-29-2017, 12:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
Assalaamu alaikum Umm Layth,

(smile) Getting into university tends to be pretty easy (much easier than getting a high school diploma for a homeschooler, we discovered!), but you need to approach the universities you are interested in and find out their particular policies. There are many possible routes you can go. The ones we investigated were:

1) Taking standardized tests such as SAT's.

2) Enrolling in an online accredited university (be careful to make sure that the institution is recognized by other institutions), then after successfully taking a certain number of courses, transfer into your local university (find out the local university's particular requirements).

3) Submitting a request to become a special student, based on your homeschooling activities (again, ask the university what they require). After you successfully pass a certain amount of classes, then apply to become a regular student. This is useful for younger teens who are not ready for full-time university anyway, but who have the capacity to take one or two classes per semester.

4) Apply as a mature student (for somewhat (not much) older people who have homeschooled).

I have more experience with universities, as none of my children have gone to specialized colleges, but I have seen some openness by some colleges to accept homeschoolers. Again, you need to contact whichever institutions you are interested in and ask them how to proceed. (smile) And don't be discouraged if some institutions are closed-minded... others will be very happy to accept homeschoolers. Indeed, some institutions actively try to recruit homeschoolers.

It is also helpful to connect with other homeschoolers for tips and support. If you have a homeschool advocacy or legal defence organisation in your locality, then contact it for help and information. Here in Canada, we have the HSLDA (Homeschool Legal Defence Association). There is a related organization in the US. Don't wait till you have an urgent need for help, or a deadline for a submission to contact these groups. It is best to contact them as soon as you start considering homeschooling; they have resources that can inform your decisions, and they may have policies to only defend previously-registered members. And if you did not do so yet, Umm Layth, I would encourage you to contact them now. You never know when problems might turn up...

One final note: many homeschoolers worry that their child needs a High School Diploma, before being able to access College or University. This is often not true. Universities in particular tend to be flexible and much easier to approach than school authorities (in my experience- but each local area has it's own realities... so investigate what your own local realities are).

(smile) Anyway, I pray all will go well for you and your family.

May God, the the Compassionate, Guide us to that which is Pleasing to Him.
This. A wonderful explanation ma'sha'Allah.

More or less it is exactly the same here in the UK as well.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.